Subject: ATS803A Anti-chuffing Mod
From: [email-masked] (Nick Gibbs)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 93 20:02:25 CST
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

Here's the Anti-chuffing mod for the ATS-803A/DX440.

   --------------------------cut here--------------------------------

                     ATS-803A and DX-440 Mod

     This mod gets rid of the "chuff" when tuning the radio that
becomes very annoying.  This Mod also enables the speaker while you
are scanning.  You will be surprised on how much you have missed.
I have done the mod and it is real easy.  If you don't like it
change it back.  I got the mod from a unknown source, so it has not
yet been tested.  I have heard of no complaint or problems.
     The Mod is so easy all you need is a Phillips screwdriver and
5min's.  It's that easy.  Ok here it is:

     1)   Remove the batteries from the unit and turn it upside
          down so the antenna is facing away from you.

     2)   Remove the six screws and remove the cover (be careful
          that you don't break the antenna wire)

     3)   Okay so far so good.  Now locate the 8-pin cable.

     4)   Remove it carefully.  Bend the second lead from the left
          to a 90'.

     5)   Replace the cable and make sure the lead is not touching
          anything.

     6)   Wa la [sic] it's done.  Not so bad now huh?

     Okay that's it for now.  If I find any newer ones I'll make
sure to pass it on.
                    Chris Johnson  CI$ (70674,1424)

   ------------------------cut here-------------------------------

Nick.