Subject: Re: DX440 mod

From: [email-masked] (Fred McKenzie)
Date: 26 Mar 93 13:22:50 EST

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Ming Ouyang) wrote:
> The Sangean ats803a has a "rec out". But on my DX440, after I removed
> the little piece of plastic which covered the supposed position of the
> jack, I found no jack at all. I guess I have to hardwire one. So is
> there any mod plan of doing this? I'd like to use DX440 as a tuner in
> a stereo system. Thanks in advance.

Ming-

There is a place for the "rec out" connector, just inside the hole covered
by the little piece of plastic.  Order a "cassette jack" for the Radio
Shack Color Computer, from Radio Shack parts department.  You may have
other sources for this PCB mounted, 5 pin DIN connector, since it is fairly
common.

Before attempting to mount the connector, you may have to clean any excess
solder out of the holes on the PCB.  It's a tight fit, so be sure the
connector is seated all the way.  If you're successful, it will look like a
factory job when you're through!

Of the 5 pins, the center one is signal ground.  Two pins on one side of
center, are connected via resistors to ground.  The two pins on the other
side go to low level, left and right stereo signals.  They are fed from
voltage-dividing resistors, so short-circuiting them will not hurt
anything.  The signal level is just right for many tape recorder microphone
inputs, and is not affected by the DX-440 volume control setting.

[email-masked]