Subject: HF-250 Update
From: [email-masked] (Robert Fargher)
Date: 7 Mar 93 02:26:04 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

At a time when we were enjoying great success with our HF-225 receiver, John
Thorpe and I began to plan a long way ahead for its eventual replacement, and
the model name we chose for that replacement was the HF-250.  As time passed,
we began to see another market opportunity for a lower cost receiver which we
could introduce in addition to the HF-225 and so switched development effort
into what became the HF-150.  This of course left the HF-250 project on one
side, and the further success of the HF-150 together with the seemingly never-
ending appreciation of the HF-225 in the market kept us alll very busy trying
to produce enough receivers to satisfy the demand.

  Now that we have the HF-150 and HF-225 well established, we have decided
that the HF-250 project should be changed from being a replacement for the
HF-225 to a totally different market area, and we therefore scrapped all the
original work and began again on the HF-250 with the intention of attacking
the market for receivers like the JRC NRD-535 and the Drake R-8.  From what
I have seen and heard so far, this new receiver will be both impressive and
totally innovative, but of course the fact that we began again will mean that
there will be a delay befor you will see it.

  So - those of you who are waiting for the HF-250 as a replacement for the
HF-225 will be disappointed.  We have no plans to finish the HF-225; in fact
in its limited edition version, the "Europa", the HF-225 continues to win
admirers (and awards) all over the world.  Why should we kill a winner??

  Finally, John Thorpe prefers to refer to his new receiver as "Development
Project N", so from now on the HF-250 will die, and Project-N will take its
place until such time as we allocate its final model number.  Keep watching -
we are going to surprise a lot of people.

                        Current Production Range

HF-150  Dubbed the "portatop" by Larry Magne of "Passport to World Band
        Radio", and has more glowing reviews than any othe receiver in its
        field.

HF-225  Awarded "Receiver of the year" by "World Radio and TV Handbook" in
        1990.  Plain and simple in appearance, a joy to use; and performance
        better than the new FRG-100.

HF-225  A customized version of the HF-225 for the really dedicated DX
Europa  enthusiast.  Awarded "Best DX Receiver" at the EDXC Conference in
        Tampere, Finland in 1992, beating the NRD-535 and ICOM R-72E.

HF-235  Professional version of the HF-225 in rack mount form and with High
        stability and remote control options.  Now in service with Government
        and major airline companies who want solid performance and
        uncompromising reliability - at an affordable price.

Project Top of the range, and intended to beat all competition at the top of
  N     market. (But you will have to wait.)

_____________________________________________________________________________

   Hearsay has it that they hope to have a demo version of Project N on
display in the August CES.
                                                Cheers,
                                                Rob

-- 
Robert Fargher  [email-masked] |  The number of things that I know
Dept. of Physiology, UBC             |  absolutely nothing about is increasing
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 1Z3       |  at an alarming rate!