Subject: Addtional feature on Yaesu FT-5100 found: adjustable timeout
From: [email-masked] (Bill Mayhew)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1993 17:01:32 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc

I discovered by accidental application of fat finger: if the
high/low button is held while turning on power, that transmitter
time-out may be set.  If you do this, the left VFO display will
show some number between 00 and 60.  The factory default appears to
be 15.  The number can be changed by rotating the frequency knob.

I tried an experiment, setting the number to 01.  I keyed up into a
dummy load.  After one minute, the transmitter shut off with, "Err"
displayed in the VFO.

I'll leave it up to you to decide a use for this feature.  If
you're an O.F. from HF that can't seem to break the habbit of
timing out repeaters, you could set your own time-out.

What would be neat would be to have a way to adjust RF power level
in a similar fashion, but examining the schematic diagram, it looks
like only two power levels are possible.

By the way, the technical manual for the 5100 is finally available.
The information is pretty spare.  No additonal operating notes or
hidden secrets are revealed.  It is worthwile for the alignment
notes and complete parts list.  Call the number in your owners
manual to order.

73,
Bill

-- 
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511
[email-masked] (140.220.1.1)    146.580: N8WED