Subject: Re: Yaesu FT-5100 Help

From: [email-masked] (Bill Mayhew)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1993 02:53:02 GMT

Tis easy to crossband repeat the 5100.  Just hold down the RPT key
while switching the power on (same as the 470-HT, I believe).  A
call to Yaesu (310-404-2700) yielded this info.  According to
Winston in tech support, this slipped out of the manual when it
went to press.  My 5100 didn't have any crossband info in the box,
but an acquaintance said that his 5100 had an addendum slip
packaged mentioning the RPT key trick.

Works quite nicely.  One thing is that there is a lot of high
freqency attenuation.  I found that adding a 27K ohm resistor
between the input and output leads of the data jack seems to clean
up the sound (similar to a suggestion for audio improvement on the
470 HT).  I used a variable pot and adjusted experimentally for
best sound.

I really like my 5100.  The in-band sensitivity is good.  I've been
lazy and haven't benched it at work yet.  The 2m FM receive seems
better than my Kenwood 751, which surprises me.  Fortunately the
5100 does not get hammered with spurious signals in the 70 cm band
the way the 530 HT does.

Here is a synopsis of how the 5100 receive (and
probably transmit too) is easily expanded.  I asked Winston to fax
me the mod sheet (see above).  The jumper change is pretty easy for
a resonably skilled solderer, but not for the neophyte.  The rig is
then reset with F/W-D/MR-REV keys while powering up.  The
upper/lower RX followed by upper/lower TX limits are then keyed in
for each band.  I've noticed that sensitivity in the expanded
portions is less than in the amateur bands, but prefectly usable
for copying weather stations, etc.  Exapnding the band seems to
disable the ARS function, but I'd rather have the coverage since I
memorized the band plans already.

I can't think of a good way to reproduce the mod drawing in ASCII,
so I recommend calling them for the fax.

By the way, the 5100 service manual is not yet available.  I've
been on a waiting list for about three weeks, and I'm sure it'll be
a while longer.

-- 
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511
[email-masked] (140.220.1.1)    146.580: N8WED