Subject: FT5200 crossband mod file
From: [email-masked] (robert.f.casey)
Date: 13 Oct 91 20:01:02 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc

copied from packet:
From: [email-masked] (DANIEL)
To: mods@allbbs
Subject: ft5200 crossband mods 

 Tony Lessing KA3KVD 76474,2051
 Ken Hoehn/N8NYO [SysOp] 73670,3622

the mod for the FT5200 cross band mod. It goes as follows:

1. Disconnect DC power from radio. 2. Unlatch and remove the front control
head. !Do not take apart the control head or the warranty will go *VOID* :-)
3. Remove (6) screws from top cover of radio. 4. Remove (6) screws from bottom
cover of radio. 5. Remove top and bottom cover.. being careful of the speaker
that will want to fall out. 6. Remove the (2) silver screws (on each side of
radio) holding front control head mounting plate to main body of radio. Remove
the front mounting plate. 7. Locate and unsolder jumper pad 17. 8. Install the
front mounting plate, and top and bottom covers. 9. Reconnect power.... you're
ready to go..

10. To put in xband repeat press and hold the RPT key while turning on the
radio. To stop... turn off the radio.

!! note !! It is suggested to disconnect the mic when in xband repeat, as it
will be "hot". Adjust the volume knob for the desired repeat audio level.

Cheers, de Tony - KA3KVD

There is 1 Reply.

Regarding  .... Jumper Pad 17 ....

This might seem confusing when first viewing the jumper pads... they are to
the right of the 5_strip connector for the face plate and are numbered as
follows

 .. 20 18 16 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
 .. 19 17 15 13 11 09 7 5 3 1

You will see that the number 17 is lower than the rest and that there are 2
pads above it... one in line with all the others (this is the correct one) and
one that is horizontal and just above the number "17" (this should be left
alone)

73 ... Tony

It is a bit rough cross-band repeating two repeaters (hardly efficient use
of spectrum, now isn't it? (Honest..just testing)
 
Also, there are certain frequency combinations that just don't work, and
others that require one, the other, or both sides to transmit at low power.
 
Nice toy...now, a practical application???
 
Ken :)       
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I haven't tried or verified this, proceed at your own risk.  WA2ISE

From: [email-masked] (robert.f.casey)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc
Subject: FT5200 mods (wideband rx/tx, crossband repeater operation
Keywords: mod file
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Nov 91 21:09:59 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Organization: AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lines: 40

copied from packet:
 Msg# TSF  Size #Rd  Date  Time From   MsgID        To
63936 BN   2529   0 27-Oct 1849 F6DWP  61195_F6KDJ  YAESU@WW (NONE)

Dual Bander YAESU FT-5200 Modifications for wideband RX/TX VHF/UHF coverage
and Cross-band Repeater operation.
===============================================================================

First locate the 20 jumpers on the control Unit of the FT-5200.
Then short jumpers 1-2-3-6-7 .
Some jumpers are still shorted depending upon the country version.
Remove the Jumper number 17 for cross-band operation .
For resetting the unit press D/MR -- F/W -- REV buttons in the same time
and switch on the transceiver.
The display must show now 300.000 on the right and 000.000 on the left .
You must now program the lower and upper bands limits on RX and TX as follows:
After resetting the channel number digit on the left of the display is
showing a ""1"" blinking ..
With the vfo knob and the MHZ button increment from 000.000 to the desired
lower VHF frequency with 1 Mhz steps . The press the D/MR button to lock
the frequency . Now the channel digit shows a blinkin""2"". Increment
the display to obtain the VHF upper limit . Press again D/MR to lock the
frequency and obtain a ""3"" digit channel blinking .. Increment the display
value with the vfo knob to fix the TX VHF lower limit . Push D/MR to lock
the frequency . The digit channel is blinking with number ""4"" and program
the upper  TX transmit limit . Press again D/MR , the display is now
reversed from left to right and program the UHF TX/RX limits with the same
procedure used for teh VHF band.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For cross-band operation , press the  RPT button when swithching ON the
tranceiver . Adjust the audio level with the volume control and balance .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For wideband Uhf RX operation the frond end coils with metallic cores
must be realigned to spread the sensitivity of the receiver. A swept
oscillator with scope should be employed eventually .

     73's  from  F6DWP
===============================================================================
Note: I haven't tried or verified this, proceed at your own risk.  WA2ISE