Subject: FT736 2m RX mod!
From: [email-masked] (Rich Gopstein)
Date: 15 Jan 91 15:17:09 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio

I found this on Compuserve.  I tried it on my FT736, and it works!  I wonder
what the other diodes do?  Does anyone have a service manual for the FT736?

Fm: Chuck Scott N8DNX 76556,3335

  You can modify the 2 Meter section for 141-154 MHZ by adding D27
(not installed in USA version).  This is normally soldered to the
board but you can easily install it by simply shoving the leads into
the connector.  The 2 Meter section is the middle board looking into
the radio from the top. The connector (J09) is the large one on the
right side of the board, half way back.  You want the cathode (striped
end) of a small signal diode in pin 7 and the anode in pin 4.  Pin 1
is toward the front of the radio.
  To receive over a slightly wider range, place the SAT switch in RX mode,
press ENT[D] then enter a desired frequency and press ENT[D] again.  You can
enter any frequency from 100 to 200 MHz this way.  Unfortunately, the
synthesizer does not actually cover that range.  As far as I can tell the
bottom end is about 138.5 (not quite the 136.5 needed for the weather sats).
The top end is about 155.6. You can't perform this stunt with the normal
(non-satellite) VFO's.  Also, once a frequency is entered in this way, it is
possible to tune toward the normal range but tuning away will place you back
in the 141-154 range.  Using the same method yields aprox 220.0-229.5 &
423.0-454.  You may store these frequencies in the SAT Memories.

Chuck

--
Rich Gopstein
[email-masked]
rutgers!squibb.com!gopstein