Subject: Pro2005/6 SSB MOD HERE!

From: [email-masked] (David Horak)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1993 18:04:59 GMT

I had a few requests for this mod so I thought everyone would benefit...

This is the mod for adding SSB capability to your Pro2005/2006.  It is
taken in part from Bill Cheek's Scanner Mod Handbook Volume 1.  As long
as you have a shortwave receiver with an external antenna jack and
capability to tune to 455 KHz, you can interface it to the Pro2006 with
this mod.  It is best if you use a static safe work environment to
perform this mod and you should have some technical knowledge.  Also, a
schematic would be helpful but is not necessary.

You will need the following parts:

 Output jack (I use a 1/8 mini earphone jack but some like a BNC.  The 
	     1/8 mono jack is easier to install because you don't have
	     to drill as big a hole in the back of the unit)

 .01 uF capacitor
 
 5 Kohm resistor (1/4 watt)
 
 6 inches of mini coax or other shielded cable
 
 A cable to run from the 2006 to your shortwave.  I use the shielded
 cable that has the 1/8 plug on one end and a phono plug on the other
 end  (1992 catalog Radio Shack P/N 42-2444 works for me).  The phono
 plug is perfect for the antenna input of my DX440 shortwave receiver.

The first step is to remove the cover of the unit and drill a hole in
the back of the 2006 for your 1/8 or BNC plug.  (You will want to wrap
some tape around the drill bit about an inch from the end to keep it
from cruising right on into the electronics once it punches through the
metal!)  Solder the 5K resister to one end of the .01 uF cap.  Solder
the other end of the cap to the shielded coax wire.  Solder the other 
end of the coax to your 1/8 phono plug (or BNC) and ground the cable at 
this end.  Now that the cable is in place you are ready to connect it 
to the 455 KHz source which is D33.  It is on the top circuit board 
near the middle left, not too far from a huge capacitor.  Solder the 
end of the resistor to the cathode of D33.  (This should be the top of
the standup part)  Now you can test it out before you put the cover 
back on to make sure you did everything correct.  You should be able
to tune to some local airport or CB frequency on your 2006 and receive
the same thing on your shortwave (with it tuned to 455 KHz and hooked
up to the 2006 of course).  If you tune something on your scanner that
is SSB, you should be able to switch your shortwave to SSB and tune in
the signal just fine.  Beware of one thing, since the 2005/6 only tunes
in 5 KHz increments minimum, you may notice from time to time that the
signal on your shortwave isn't real clear.  It may be that you will 
need to tune the shortwave anywhere from 451 to 459 KHz to tune in the
signal well!

If you don't succeed or this description has you baffled you probably
shouldn't be doing the mod in the first place.  I assume no 
responsibility for screwups.  Good luck

David