Subject: TS820 Receive AUX band installation
From: [email-masked] (robert.f.casey)
Date: 30 Nov 91 04:15:25 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc

zopied from packet:  from kd2ej
Installing AUX Band in TS-820 (RX only)
01-18-77

The following information is for the installation and alignment of the AUX
band in the TS-820.  This extra band will be for receive only.  Reference
will be made to schematics and board layouts as shown in the Service
Manual.

INSTALLATION
1.   Remove the top and bottom covers.
2.   Remove the Connectors from the PLL Assembly.
3.   Remove the PLL assembly and set it aside.
4.   Use the board layout of the Coil Pack to locate thepositions for the
ANT and MIX coils on the Coil Pack.
5.   Install the ANT and MIX coils on the Coil Pack.
6.   Remove both covers from the PLL Assembly.
7.   Remove the 5 Phillips head screws holding the PD Unit in the PLL
assembly and carefully remove the PD unit.
8.   Use the board layout  of the PD unit to locate Q11.
9.   Install R01, R02, C01, C02 and X01 as needed for the band desired.
10.  Locate terminals AUX, B1, B2, B3, and B4 on the PD unit.
11.  Install a jumper from the AUX terminal to the B terminal for the band
desired.  B1 is for 1.8 MHz to 9 MHz, B2 is for 10MHz to 18MHz, B3 is for
19MHz to 24MHz and B4 is for 25MHz to 30MHz.
12.  Replace the PD unit in the PLL Assembly.
13.  Use a 3mm nutdriver to remove the 4 hex nuts mounting the VCO unit in
the PLL assembly, then remove the two phillips screws.
14.  Carefully remove the VCO unit from the PLL assembly.
15.  Use the board layout of the VCO unit to locate Q11.
16.  Install C01, C02, C03, C04, C05, and T11 as needed for the band
desired. Install T11 last.
17.  Replace the VCO unit in the PLL assembly.
18.  Install the connectors on the PLL assembly.

ALIGNMENT
1.   Turn on the TS-820.
2.   Tune VFO to 250.
3.   Set band switch to AUX.
4.   Set the TUN/NOR switch on the VCO unit to TUN.
5.   Connect a frequency counter to terminals TP5 and TP6 on the VCO unit.
(TP6 is ground).
6.   Adjust T11 for a frequency of 9.08 MHz plus the lower limit of the
band desired.
7.   Connect a frequency counter to TP4 and ground on the PD unit, and
verify the frequency of the reference oscillator.  It may vary +/- 500KHz.
8.   Return the TUN/NOR switch on the VCO Unit to the NOR position.
9.   Turn off the TS-820S.
10.  Replace the covers on the PLL assembly and reinstall it in the
transceiver.
11.  Replace the top and bottom covers on the TS-820S.

CAUTION
Do not use magnetized tools when working on the PLL assembly. Beryllium
tools would be better than ferrous ones.  If the PLL assembly should become
magenetized, use a bulk tape eraser on open core AC transformer to
demagnetize it.

(c) 090277TKC
  COPYRIGHTED KENWOOD U.S.A. CORP.
========================================================================
Note: I haven't tried or verified this, proceed at your own risk. WA2ISE

From: [email-masked] (robert.f.casey)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc
Subject: TS820 CW filter select control mod file
Keywords: ts820
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Dec 91 18:00:27 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Organization: AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lines: 51

copied from packet:
 Msg# TSF  Size #Rd  Date  Time From   MsgID        To
  315 BF   2122   0 13-Dec 0449 KD2EJ  28988_WB2QJA INFO@ALLBBS ()
 Sb: TS-820 CW FILTER CONTROL

PERMISSION GRANTED FOR RELAYING AS INDICATED ON KENWOOD BBS.

SB-812

TS-520, TS-820 CW filter select control                        2-14-80

In the TS-520SE, the heater switch has been replaced with a CW WIDE/NARROW
select switch.  For those operators who desire this type feture for their
transceiver, the following information may be considered as a guideline.

TS-520S series transceivers

1.   A minature SPDT switch may be installed at the operators preference,
on the rear side, or bottom panel.  Use this to switch the CW or SSB
filters by wiring the BROWN lead, which normally is transferred to the CW
terminal on the IF unit, between the SSB filter, for WIDE , and CW for
NARROW>
2.   A Traditional solution has been to use the FIX CH switch, position 3
and 4 for filter switching.  This may be done by completely rewireing the
switch, or by leaving the switch wiring and the filter wiring as for normal
operation, and bridging the following terminals:

     A.   FIX CH C terminal to IF SSB Terminal
     B.   FIX CH 4 terminal to IF CW terminal
          Placing the FIX CH switch to 4 will operate the SSB filter in CW
mode.

TS-820S Series Transceivers

1.   Similar to the TS-520 series, a miniature SPDT toggle switch may be
installed at the operators preference a the rear or on the obttom cover.

2.   The FIX CH switch, or Digital Hold switch may be rewired to control
the CW wide/narrow function

On the MODE switch, S6-1, the SSB filter control is GREEN, and the CW
filter control line is GREY.  Break the GREY line and connect it from the
MODE switch to the SPDT common terminal.   Connect the GREY line to the IF
unit ot one terminal, and bridge tht GREEN SSB line to the other Switch
terminal.

JEB/yn
(c) 21480TKC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I haven't tried or verified this, proceed at your own risk.  WA2ISE