Subject: TS830 frequency shift, low volt fix
From: [email-masked] (robert.f.casey)
Date: 18 Dec 91 18:30:55 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc

this is a series of articles on the TS830 copied from packet:

 Msg# TSF  Size #Rd  Date  Time From   MsgID        To
  375 BF   1860   0 15-Dec 1654 KD2EJ  29224_WB2QJA INFO@ALLBBS ()
 Sb: TS-830 FREQ. SHIFT

PERMISSION GRANTED FOR RELAYING AS INDICATED ON KENWOOD BBS.

SB-840R

TS-830S Frequency Shift                       04-14-82

Some users may report an intermittent shift in the display and operating
frequency.  This may typically be a 1 to 4 kHz random shift.  Cause will be
a loose grounding screw on the AF/AVR unit heat sink.

On the AF/AVR unit X49-1140-00, there are three self-tapping screws holding
the aluminum heat sink to the PCB.  These also supply the ground connection
to that section of the board.  Between the heat shink and PCB foil, add a
toothe-lockwasher N17-1030-41 at eht two self-tapping screws on the side of
the heatsink that has the two transistors attached.  (The remaining screw
already has a lock washer.)  When replacing the board to the chassis, add a
solder lug E23-0420-05 to the heat sink mounting screw as shown, and
tighten all screws for this board.  Solder an insulated lead between the
TPG (Test Point Ground) wrap post adjacent to C81, and the added solder
lug.

Procedure:

1.   Remove the top cover (8 screws) and unplug the speaker.
2.   Remove the bottom cover (8 screws).
3.   Remove 5 screws holding the AF/AVR unit and swing the board over.
Leads do not have to be unplugged.
4.   Add two tooth-lock washer as shown.
5.   Replace the circuit board and heat sink to the chassis, adding the
solder lug as shown.
6.   Solder a jumper between the TPG wrap post and the added solder lug.
7.   Replace the top and bottom covers.

Installation time for this procedure is 1/2 hour or less.

JEB/yn
(c) 41482TKC

 Msg# TSF  Size #Rd  Date  Time From   MsgID        To
  376 BF   1226   0 15-Dec 1659 KD2EJ  29225_WB2QJA INFO@ALLBBS ()
 Sb: TS-830 LOW VOLT. SUPPLY NOTE.

PEMISSION GRANTED FOR RELAYING AS INDICATED ON KENWOOD BBS.

SB-847R

TS-830S Low Voltage Supply Optional Improvements                  7-29-81

Power supply drift and stability may be improved by these optional
component changes and additions.

On the AF AVR unit X49-1140-00 (Vicinity of Q27-Q30) change:

     R124 from 1K to 1.5K (RD14CB2E152J)*
     R127 from 470 to 390 (RD14CB2E391J)*
     R130 from 47K to 33K (RD14CB2E333J)#
     D25 from WZ-061 to XZ-053 (V11-4101-60)*

*This will improve temperature drift from a maximum of about 100mV to a
maximum of 1mV, and may be applied to any unit before serial # 201xxxx.

Add two 22 k ohm 1/4 resistors (RD14CB2E223J0, one each across Q30, and
Q34, collector to emitter.#

#This will improve overall stability and may be applied to any unit before
serial #105xxxx.

Note:  These changes are at the owners option and may not be performed in-
warranty.

JEB/sh
(c) 041482TKC
==========================================================================
Note: I haven't tried or verified this, proceed at your own risk.  WA2ISE