Subject: RE: Startup Script

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:21:19 +0100

Quick fix is to put in the startup script:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib

before it tries to start apache..

Better fix is to recompile apache with the additional compile-time
options: "-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib" etc. (one pair for each
lib). This should build the paths to the libs into the binary and then
you don't need LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence Cole [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Mittwoch, 30. Oktober 2002 04:52
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Startup Script

Greetings everyone,

I realize this situation has come up before, but none of the suggestions
I have seen have worked for me.

I have created an Apache 1.3.26 / mod_ssl 2.8.10 server.  No problems
creating it, and no problems starting from the command line.  I am
however, unable to start automatically at boot using a script in the
rc3.d directory.  When I try to start it automatically using:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start SSL-Aware Apache http daemon
#
echo "Start SSL-Aware Apache httpd"
/opt/apache/bin/apachectl startssl

I get the following error:

ld.so.1: /opt/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No
such file or directory
Killed
/opt/apache/bin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

Once the system is booted up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
"/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib", and I can run
"/opt/apache/bin/apachectl startssl" just fine.  For automation reasons,
I need to boot at startup.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Lawrence

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence Cole" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:05:06 -0700

Boyle,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Adding "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib"
to the startup script does not help.

Sourcing root's .profile before running the "apachectl startssl" command
does not help.  The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in the .profile.

So the last thing to try are the -R and -L compile-time option pairs for
each library.  I have a rookie question to ask.  Where do I use these?
I can't use them with the .configure or make commands.  Do I need to
edit the Makefile?  Can you give me an example?

Regards,

Lawrence

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Boyle Owen
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Startup Script

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence Cole [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Mittwoch, 30. Oktober 2002 04:52
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Startup Script

Greetings everyone,

#!/bin/sh
#

ld.so.1: /opt/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No
such file or directory Killed /opt/apache/bin/apachectl startssl: httpd
could not be started

Regards,

Lawrence

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:17:48 -0500 (EST)

your problem might be the ldconfig settings, for your system, they might
not be locating the libs prperly for the server to find them and function.
try updating ldso with a call to ldconfig, if thats the proper solaris way
of doing things, with the lib paths required, something like a ldconfig -R
-v (paths) which is the bsdish way.  It's been awhile since I admined a
sun system and my sun box is bsd'ed, so I can't check at present for  the
proper syntax and params for you, but this should give you a clue...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!