Subject: modssl versus other ssl servers

From: "Chris Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:34:17 -0500

Hi,

  Does anyone know how many modssl installations there are versus
  other SSL servers?  I'd like to know what percentage of SSL sites
  use modssl. 

 Thanks,  Chris

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:39:42 -0500 (EST)

Any answer you get will probably be a best guess.  The closest stat on
modssl use might relate somewhat to the number of list memebers here,
though, even that number will not be fully definative as some folks use
more then one product, some onlyread the list and not really have modssl
up and running, etc...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: "Chris Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:44:20 -0500

I was looking for some of the automated test mechanisms like Netcraft.
 I found a recently updated survey at
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/.
 The survey provides Web and SSL site stats independently but the SSL server
 break down does not include modssl. Instead there is an apache module
 section. It does make sense but takes more work to understand the results.
 Apache has 50.88 percent of the ssl market in December 2002.  Apparently
 26.49 percent of the apache servers that answered include modssl in
 the response (1414225 servers). However this is not listed under
 the secure servers suvey.Perhaps some of these have modssl installed
 but SSL  not enabled. This is exactly the kind of survey I was looking
 for.  Thanks for all the responses.