Subject: SSLSessionCache: shared memory cache not useable on this platform

From: "Ted Bannon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:42:35 -0700

Hi,

I've been trying to make use of the SSLSessionCache shared memory option in 
my Apache config:

#SSLSessionCache        shmht:/data/home/apache/1.3.24/logs/ssl_scache(512000)
#SSLSessionCache        shmcb:/data/home/apache/1.3.24/logs/ssl_scache(512000)
SSLSessionCache         dbm:/data/home/apache/1.3.24/logs/ssl_scache
#SSLSessionCache 
shm:/data/home/apache/1.3.24/logs/ssl_gcache_data(512000)

Presently dbm is enabled because trying to use any of the other 3 shared 
memory options returns this error at startup:

SSLSessionCache: shared memory cache not useable on this platform

Here are some details:
Linux 2.4.18
Apache 1.3.24
mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24
mm-1.1.3

Running /usr/src/mm-1.1.3/mm_test ends with "OK - ALL TESTS SUCCESSFULLY 
PASSED," so I'm assuming (incorrectly maybe) that shared memory can be used 
on this platform.

Here're the relevant parts of my master configuration script.  I just added 
the SSL_EXPERIMENTAL option as per Geoff's in-depth posting on making use 
of shmcb.  At any rate, I don't see anything wrong with this script, and 
everything builds fine as far as I can tell.  I've checked the modssl-users 
list archive, but nobody else seems to have posted with this question 
before.  All the version info is correct -- I don't have any stale source 
trees laying about:

function build_mm () {
   cd $SRC/mm-${MM_VERSION}
   ./configure --disable-shared
   make
}

function build_apache () {
   cd $SRC/mod_ssl-${MODSSL_VERSION}
   ./configure \
     --with-apache=$SRC/apache_${APACHE_VERSION} \
     --with-mm=$SRC/mm-${MM_VERSION} \
     --with-ssl=$SRC/openssl-${OPENSSL_VERSION} \
     --enable-shared=ssl
   cd ../apache_${APACHE_VERSION}
   env SSL_BASE=$SRC/openssl-${OPENSSL_VERSION} \
   ./configure \
     --prefix=$PREFIX \
     --with-perl=$PERL \
         --enable-module=most \
         --enable-shared=max \
         --enable-module=ssl \
         --disable-rule=SSL_COMPAT \
         --enable-rule=SSL_SDBM  \
         --enable-rule=SSL_EXPERIMENTAL
     make
}

Any help or suggestions on why I get this error would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ted

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

> shm:/data/home/apache/1.3.24/logs/ssl_gcache_data(512000)

Note that shm: is equivalent to shmht: ... there are really only two
types of shm session caches.

> SSLSessionCache: shared memory cache not useable on this platform

You need to define EAPI_MM when building Apache.  See the INSTALL file for
mod_ssl, somewhere around line 281.

--Cliff

---

From: "Ted Bannon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:04:06 -0700

Thanks, Cliff!  That seemed to work.