Subject: How does mod_ssl work with Apache?

From: Søren Neigaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:43:43 +0100

I have Apache running on port 80, and I want to SSL enable one of my
VirtualHosts. I don't even know how to start mod_ssl properly. I found
the following command somewhere in an example, but I'm not sure what
it does, and right now it doesn't work (as I remember it has started
before without errors), but this is what it says now:

openssl s_client -connect 192.168.1.4:443

connect: Connection refused
connect:errno=61

Why? Am I trying to connect to a wrong port? I really need some hints
here please.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:[email-masked]
--
 "One finds limits by pushing them."

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Glen Mehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:40:08 -0800

$APACHE_HOME/bin/apachectl startssl

it's in the docs.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:43:43PM +0100, S?ren Neigaard wrote:
>  S?ren Neigaard mailto:[email-masked]
> --

-- 
Glen S Mehn
Lead Systems Administrator		SquareTrade, Inc
[email-masked]	Building Trust in Transactions (sm)
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:11:15 -0500 (EST)

If you built apache with modssl support <read the FAQ on how to do this if
you have not>, and have setup your httpd.conf file properly <again read
the FAQ on particulars as well as going over the default httpd.conf file
suppiled once apache is compiled with modssl support> then you start
appache like thus:

apachectl startssl

There are variations on this theme, but, this is the standard way to get
apache up with ssl enabled once properly compiled and configured.

Hope this help,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: Søren Neigaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:09:24 +0100

That helped a lot, thanks :)

/Søren

Tuesday, March 19, 2002, 7:11:15 PM, R. wrote:

RD> If you built apache with modssl support <read the FAQ on how to do this if
you have not>>, and have setup your httpd.conf file properly <again read
RD> the FAQ on particulars as well as going over the default httpd.conf file
RD> suppiled once apache is compiled with modssl support> then you start
RD> appache like thus:

RD> apachectl startssl

RD> There are variations on this theme, but, this is the standard way to get
RD> apache up with ssl enabled once properly compiled and configured.

RD> Hope this help,

RD> Ron DuFresne

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:20:32 -0500 (EST)

Welcome, my pleasure.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne