Subject: Re: Performance Issue

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:31:41 -0800

Denis,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue after upgrade of couple of 
servers in our web-farm from Sol.2.6 to Solaris 8 (running on Sun Enterprise).
We are using Apache 1.3.9 on Solaris 2.6, Apache 1.3.23/mod_ssl 2.8.7 on
Solaris 8.

So far I haven't figured out why it is so, currently working on this..

server-status?auto on apache 1.3.9 on Sol.2.6 returns CPU load around 1,
on apache 1.3.23 on Sol.8 - from 5 to 30.... Per /server-status,
Apache is taking more system CPU time:
- solaris 2.6, apache 1.3.9
CPU Usage: u13.95 s4.2 cu240.96 cs66.49 - .872% CPU load
- solaris 8, apache 1.3.23
CPU Usage: u13.81 s24.17 cu318.42 cs71.53 - 4.67% CPU load

The servers have the same hardware, are behind load balancer, taking and
processing the same number of requests.

Please, let me know if you find something that explains such a high load
and a way to eliminate it.

Thanks,

Alex

In article <1017331547.410.8.camel@blue0x> you wrote:
> Hey there,

> I have a few webservers using apache+mod_ssl in our site.
> I have noticed, with the installation of 1.3.2[34] and mod_ssl2.8.[78],
> a significant performance situation. Now I have a very high load
> average, which I never had before with older versions of the software
> (ex: apache1.3.22+mod_ssl 2.8.6).
> The hardware used are all Sun Enterprise with Solaris 2.7.

> I searched through this list and couldn't find anyone with the same
> problem.... no one have those problems also?

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Denis A.V.Jr. - [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:48:19 -0500 (EST)

> and a way to eliminate it.

As I mentioned the last time (and never got a response):

To help track this down, can you do a before-and-after run of the
following:

truss -c
lockstat -CP sleep 5

and email the outputs of both from the old version and the new version to
me?

Thanks,
Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Apache HTTP Server Project

---

From: "Denis A.V.Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Apr 2002 13:09:11 -0300

Definetly, Cliff.

I'll send it to you ASAP.

Thank you.

-- 
Denis A.V.Jr. - [email-masked]
Systems Engineer - ICQ 2524962
Universo Online

perl -e 'print "computers are like air-conditioners: they stop working
when you open windows ", pack("c*",hex
"3A",sqrt(2025),(unpack(c,"=")-20),10);'