Subject: weird log permission problem on SSL sites only

From: "Julian C. Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:58:03 -0500 (EST)

I'm running the following:

Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.26 PHP/4.0.6 mod_ssl/2.6.6 OpenSSL/0.9.6a

and I have a weird problem with permissions on the access and error log
files. I have a number of VirtualHosts like this:

<VirtualHost 10.10.10.70>
	.
	.
	# some non-SSL site config
	TransferLog "|/path/to/cronolog -some-cronolog-options"
	ErrorLog "|/path/to/cronolog -some-other-cronolog-options"
	.
	.
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 10.10.10.70:443>
	.
	# some SSL site config also using cronolog
	.
</VirtualHost>

And then there are a few counterparts with no SSL site (just the first
VirtualHost). The problem I'm having is that whenever the virtualhost has
an SSL counterpart, it looks like the Transfer and Error log files for
both the SSL and non-SSL site are getting created mode 0600. If the vhost
doesn't have an SSL counterpart, the logs are fine, mode 0644. It looks
like for SSL sites, the umask is being set to 077 before cronolog is
spawned. (I suspect 077 because new directories, as created by cronolog,
are mode 0700.)

The problem doesn't occur when the vhost doesn't have an SSL counterpart.

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

- Julian

--
Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc.   <[email-masked]>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter St., Suite 700, Toronto, ON
Tel: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]