Subject: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem: "Navigation Canceled"

From: "ROUITS Olivier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:27:48 +0200

Hello!

We have some problems with IE 6 and HTTPS on apache (1.3.26) on Linux (PC).
On some frames of web pages we have the message: "Navigation Canceled" and IE says that the page has secured and unsecured elements.

With IE 5.5, the problem happens less frequently.

This pages are JSP pages from an front Apache Linux server that forward requests with AJP (mod_jk, AJP 1.3) to another TOMCAT (4.0.3) Linux server.

In simple HTTP protocol there is no problem, Apache+AJP+Tomcat works fine.

Is there a workaround?

---
Olivier ROUITS.
Software Engineer.
CEGEDIM / SRH-DED.

---

From: Harald Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:23:28 -0400

> On some frames of web pages we have the message: "Navigation Canceled" =
> and IE says that the page has secured and unsecured elements.
> 
> This pages are JSP pages from an front Apache Linux server that forward =
> requests with AJP (mod_jk, AJP 1.3) to another TOMCAT (4.0.3) Linux =
> server.
> 
> In simple HTTP protocol there is no problem, Apache+AJP+Tomcat works =
> fine.

This sounds to me like someone is redirecting HTTPS to HTTP, instead of
maintaining the 'over SSL' status of the URL...

Strange that you describe it as intermittent, though. Maybe a
caching-related issue?

Sorry this isn't more helpful...

-- 
Harald Koch     <[email-masked]>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
		-Michael T. Fry
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Gilles Gros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:28:38 -0700

Usually, this comes from frame or iframe with no source or images.

Gilles

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Harald Koch
> Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 10:23 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
> "Navigation Canceled"
>
>

---

From: "ROUITS Olivier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:52:32 +0200

I'm going watch SSL Directives for this problem, it's very strange because
its a random problem.

I think there is a timout in IE for HTTPS (?) and mod_ssl+mod_jk forwarding
is too slow for this timeout.

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Koch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

---

From: "Clayton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:54:40 +0800

I don't think the problem is about any thing u mentioned which is IE6
and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS. The common sense tell me that we
shouldn't put unsecured and secured content together, you did mention
those errors happened in some frame pages, within one page which u like
users to connect. So, if u tried not to put those content together, I
think u probably won't see the error message any more. Wish u make it
solved.

Best regards,
Clayton Chen : )

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ROUITS Olivier
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 3:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled" 

I'm going watch SSL Directives for this problem, it's very strange
because
its a random problem.

I think there is a timout in IE for HTTPS (?) and mod_ssl+mod_jk
forwarding
is too slow for this timeout.

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Koch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

---

From: "ROUITS Olivier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:04:32 +0200

Our application is only in HTTPS, there is no unsecured content because all
is forwarded to Tomcat (JSP/Images/HTML....) in a virtual host that listen
to 443 port. 80 port is not open on apache front machine.

On IE 5.5 with 700Mhz pentium there is no problem
On IE 6 the problem is systematic for certain multi frame pages.

All the frames are updated simultaneously by "onLoad" javascript event on
one of the frames.
When only one frame is updated, no problem.

Sometimes in navigation, some frames are not refreshed, requests are
broken...

I think that send requests at the same time (with javascript) to refresh a
lot of frames (4 or 5) on the browser, breaks theses requests (in HTTPS on
our configuration). Then the message "Navigation Canceled" is sent on a
blank page in theses frames, but not in HTTPS mode (?), it's here that the
message is shown in IE: "unsecured and secured data in page" (something like
that, i'm french...).

We have also this configuration (2 Linux machines interconnected by AJP) on
Linux/390 (2 virtual linux/390 on IBM mainframe under zVM)
with the front apache server in DMZ (internet access) and Tomcat server in
PRODUCTION ZONE.

Here it's worse, because of latency introduced by FIREWALLS, rooters,
virtual machines wake up, and mainframe overload (many users connected on
others virtual machines), ...

in ssl_engine_log i  see:

Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)

in mod_jk.log i have a lot of error like:

[Wed Oct 02 10:53:01 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 10:56:02 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:02:16 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:02:52 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:33:07 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:34:21 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 12:44:43 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 12:48:39 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed

Best regards.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clayton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: RE: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

Best regards,
Clayton Chen : )

-----Original Message-----

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Koch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"