Subject: mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24

From: Ekkehard Ellmann LRT1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:26:20 +0200

Running  make in apache 1.3.24 gave a compile-error in
apache_1.3.24/src/modules/ssl/ssl_engine_vars.c
The  compiler pointed  at the line:
{ "UID",   NID_uniqueIdentifier       },

at  the struct  listed below.
I  could not see,  how to cure.   Therefore I   applied "..." and it
worked.
Can  somebody tell me the  correct cure?
(linux-2.2.17,  apache-1.3.24,  mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24,
openssl-0.9.7-beta1)

Please mail me direct.
Thanks a lot.

Ekk.

static const struct {
    char *name;
    int  nid;
} ssl_var_lookup_ssl_cert_dn_rec[] = {
    { "C",     NID_countryName            },
    { "ST",    NID_stateOrProvinceName    }, /* officially    (RFC2156)
*/
    { "SP",    NID_stateOrProvinceName    }, /* compatibility (SSLeay)
*/
    { "L",     NID_localityName           },
    { "O",     NID_organizationName       },
    { "OU",    NID_organizationalUnitName },
    { "CN",    NID_commonName             },
    { "T",     NID_title                  },
    { "I",     NID_initials               },
    { "G",     NID_givenName              },
    { "S",     NID_surname                },
    { "D",     NID_description            },
    { "UID",   "NID_uniqueIdentifier"       }, /*Ekk :...mit "" bei NID_
gehts, aber .....,!!!! */
    { "Email", NID_pkcs9_emailAddress     },
    { NULL,    0                          }
};

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:42:43 -0400 (EDT)

> (linux-2.2.17,  apache-1.3.24,  mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24,

Many changes have occurred between OpenSSL 0.9.6 and 0.9.7.  mod_ssl is
unlikely to work with 0.9.7 at the moment, even if this were fixed.  Stick
with 0.9.6 for now.

--Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Geoff Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:24:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> unlikely to work with 0.9.7 at the moment, even if this were fixed.  Stick

Ummm ... I had generally been using 0.9.7-dev CVS with mod_ssl without any
great grief for some time. I would go so far as to guess what the problem
is ... modssl's (auto)configuration script does a couple of regexp checks
on the openssl version to tweak building. I remember thinking the choice
of filtering was odd, and it's quite possible that the version being
interpreted from the beta release is confusing the config checks.

At a guess, the UID issue is probably one where Ralf has a fallback
implementation in modssl for older versions of openssl that didn't have
it. Was the compiler/linker warning about conflicting definitions between
openssl libs and modssl? If so, try checking out the "configure" script
where it attempts to parse the openssl version. I can't look at this right
now but if you can't get it sorted feel free to mail me back in a day or
two and perhaps I will have time. Basically you'd want modssl to convince
itself that the beta is the same sort of thing as "0.9.7-dev".

OTOH: It might be something else different altogether :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

-- 
Geoff Thorpe, geoff(at)geoffthorpe(dot)net

2000 years on, it's a different empire but the same
zealots and the same attrocities.

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:31:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Geoff Thorpe wrote:

> great grief for some time.

Hm.  Okay, well, you're luckier than the httpd committer who tried it.
:)  At least with Apache 2.0, many things have been rumored to break under
the stock mod_ssl with OpenSSL 0.9.7-dev.  YMMV.  Of course my
recommendation to stick with 0.9.6 for now stands.  :)

<shrug>

--Cliff

---

From: Lutz Jaenicke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:22:18 +0200

> itself that the beta is the same sort of thing as "0.9.7-dev".

The UID thing was only changed recently in the 0.9.7 tree, and (without
checking) would guess that it was even made after the last release of
mod_ssl, so I would not be sure it is already covered.

Best regards,
	Lutz
-- 
Lutz Jaenicke                             [email-masked]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/
BTU Cottbus, Allgemeine Elektrotechnik
Universitaetsplatz 3-4, D-03044 Cottbus
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Lutz Jaenicke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:25:40 +0200

> recommendation to stick with 0.9.6 for now stands.  :)

I don't care for rumores. The API of 0.9.7 is more or less unchanged.
However: mod_ssl tends to work around the existing API and directly
access internal structures and I am afraid that the Apache 2.0 version
might stick to this tradition.
In any case: OpenSSL 0.9.7 is now in beta and we need to find out these
issues. I don't have an Apache 2.0 installation seen, yet...
The mod_ssl for Apache 2.0 developers are thus strongly encouraged to
test and report, so that the issues can be sorted out.

Best regards,
	Lutz

---

From: Geoff Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:26:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> mod_ssl, so I would not be sure it is already covered.

Ah, thanks for clarifying Lutz. Unfortunately, the original poster did not
include any information about *how* the compilation was breaking on the
"UID" line of code, so I'll now go back into hibernation ...

Cheers,
Geoff

---

From: Lutz Jaenicke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:40:19 +0200

> "UID" line of code, so I'll now go back into hibernation ...

Due to a naming clash with the LDAP RFC, UniqueIdentifier was renamed to
the correct value X509UniqueIdentifier, therefore the NID_UniqueIdentifier
macro was also renamed and now is no longer available.

Best regards,
	Lutz