Subject: SSL - How many children should I have???

From: Terry Ziemniak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:58:31 -0600

I am having problems with an NT4.0 box running
Apache_1.3.20-Mod_SSL_2.8.4-OpenSSL_0.9.6a-WIN32.
 
>From an IE 6 (and 5 also) client, the first time that I run through some
pages on my companies home grown java based web site, I get the non-descript
'IE can not find page error' (almost immediately) after running a given
function.  However if I go back to one page and resubmit it, it will run
fine.  And from then on it runs fine.
 
When I set the ssl logging to debug, I notice that there are two children
connections at one time (associated with my workstation 207.208.157.117)
when it fails.  See log below (failure occurred at 11:51:39)...
 
When I am successful (in this case just backing up and re-submitting the
page), I only have one child connection.  See log below (the last 6
transactions).
 
Is this normal?  Can anyone offer any insight to this problem?  If it is not
a problem with the child count, what other possibilities are there?
 
Thanks in advanced.
 
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:46 01624] [info]  Connection to child 0 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:46 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:46 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:46 01624] [info]  Connection to child 0 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:48 01624] [info]  Connection to child 1 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:48 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:51 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:51 01624] [info]  Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:52 01624] [info]  Connection to child 3 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:52 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:52 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:52 01624] [info]  Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
for child 3 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:53 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.2) HTTPS request
received for child 3 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:53 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.2) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:53 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.3) HTTPS request
received for child 3 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:54 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.3) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:54 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.4) HTTPS request
received for child 3 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:54 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.4) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:54 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.5) HTTPS request
received for child 3 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:58 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.5) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:58 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.6) HTTPS request
received for child 3 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:59 01624] [info]  Connection to child 3 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:59 01624] [info]  Connection to child 5 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:50:59 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:02 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:02 01624] [info]  Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
for child 5 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:10 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.6) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:10 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.2) HTTPS request
received for child 5 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:10 01624] [info]  Connection to child 5 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:10 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.7) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:10 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.8) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:11 01624] [info]  Connection to child 7 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:11 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:11 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:11 01624] [info]  Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:16 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.2) HTTPS request
received for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:16 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.9) HTTPS request
received for child 1 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:16 01624] [info]  Connection to child 1 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:17 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.3) HTTPS request
received for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:17 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.4) HTTPS request
received for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:20 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.5) HTTPS request
received for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:20 01624] [info]  Connection to child 9 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:20 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:21 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:21 01624] [info]  Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
for child 9 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:21 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.6) HTTPS request
received for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:23 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.2) HTTPS request
received for child 9 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:23 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.7) HTTPS request
received for child 7 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:38 01624] [info]  Connection to child 7 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:51:39 01624] [info]  Connection to child 9 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
** Above is the end of the failed attempt.
** Below is where I resubmitted the page successfully.
[27/Mar/2002 11:53:33 01624] [info]  Connection to child 4 established
(server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:53:33 01624] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy   
[27/Mar/2002 11:53:33 01624] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 207.208.157.117,
Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:53:33 01624] [info]  Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
for child 4 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:53:34 01624] [info]  Subsequent (No.2) HTTPS request
received for child 4 (server www.mysite.com:8081)   
[27/Mar/2002 11:53:49 01624] [info]  Connection to child 4 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.mysite.com:8081, client 207.208.157.117)   
 
Terry Ziemniak
[email-masked]