Subject: RE: OpenSSL RPMs and Apache/modssl install

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:21:07 -0000

Yes, you will run into problems if you overwrite the existing openssl files.
For example, both ssh and sendmail will be broken. (Please don't anyone
start a religious war over sendmail).

I have been assured by Red Hat's own staff that although the numbering is
off, it includes all the security updates to the present day which are
usually "backported". Red Hat have a policy of backporting as they keep new
features for new releases so that these can be tested independently. (Again,
no religious wars over package versions please).

Only if there are features not compiled in that you wish to use is it worth
recompiling, and in that case you can use /usr/local/ssl or /usr/local to
build it in (ie, don't overwrite the /usr/bin/openssl file). Although as you
are in the US then you are restricted by a number of US patents anyway. See
the openssl FAQ for more information.

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

If we could learn one thing from September 11th 2001, it would be the utter
absurdity of moral relativism.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Emily Eileen Witcher [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 12 November 2002 17:26
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: OpenSSL RPMs and Apache/modssl install
> 
> 
> I have a Red Hat 7.3 system and ran up2date to get all the 
> latest packages.
> Now I want to install Apache/modssl/modperl etc. which I am 
> accustomed to
> building from source, starting with the OpenSSL libraries.
> 
> I see that an OpenSSL RPM has already been installed with 
> 7.3, but it does
> not appear to be the latest version (unless RedHat has a 
> different numbering
> system). Specifically it says openssl-0.9.6b-28.rpm is 
> installed, whereas I
> want to have openssl-0.9.6g.tar.gz. I don't see any updated 
> rpms on RedHat.
> Am I going to run into any trouble if I build OpenSSL from source and
> overwrite (or duplicate) the RPM? There are other packages 
> that depend on
> the RPM. Thanks.
> 
> Thanks
> Emily Witcher - [email-masked]
> Developer and System Administrator
> Crytech - 406-655-0501/1-888-CRYTECH
> 
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
> Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
> 

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]