Subject: Importing client certificate generated under Windows

From: Suzanne Razenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:32:42 -0800

Hello,

I'm trying to get a SSL connection working using a client certificate. 
 I'm running with apache/modssl on Solaris and trying to connect to a 
partner's IIS web server.  I have been sent a client certificate that 
was generated on the Windows server in a pfx format.  In essence, when a 
user would hit one of our pages, we make a call to a remote server with 
a client certificate on our web servers, the data from the remote call 
is parsed, and presented to the user hitting our pages.  However, I 
can't seem to get the IIS server to see the solaris client certificate.  

I've tried setting different environment variables in my httpd.conf 
file, such as HTTPS_CERT_FILE, HTTPS_KEY_FILE , and SSL_CLIENT_CERT all 
pointing to the certificate they sent using an absolute path.  Whenever 
I access the file that is trying to make the remote call, I get the 
following message in the error logs   "Service description 
'https://services.theirserver.com/test.wsdl' can't be loaded: 403 Access 
Forbidden".  

I've also tried converting the file using openssl pkcs12 to a .pem, but 
still get the same error.  I've seen some messages in the archive about 
breaking out the certificate into two files, the certificate and the 
key.  Do I need to do this or am I just not loading the client 
certificate correctly?

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]