Subject: Flex failure during apache 1.3.28 make

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:23:22 +0200

Greetings, 

I'm trying to compile the new 2.8.15 with apache 1.3.28 but hit a
problem when make tries to run "flex" on the file
src/modules/ssl/ssl_expr_scan.l.

I'm running Solaris 8 on a Sparc and flex is version 2.4.7.

Up until now, I've always regarded flex as one of those mysterious
little utilities that developers like to use and I've avoided learning
anything at all about it. Why has it suddenly decided to show me how
important it is?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored. 

PS Here is the error trace:

/tmp/apache_1.3.28 > make
...snip...
===> src/modules/ssl
flex -Pssl_expr_yy -s -B ssl_expr_scan.l
"ssl_expr_scan.l", line 89: bad character: %
"ssl_expr_scan.l", line 90: unknown error processing section 1
"ssl_expr_scan.l", line 90: bad character: %
"ssl_expr_scan.l", line 91: unknown error processing section 1
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ssl_expr_scan.c'
Current working directory /tmp/apache_1.3.28/src/modules/ssl
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
Current working directory /tmp/apache_1.3.28/src/modules
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdirs'
Current working directory /tmp/apache_1.3.28/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build-std'
Current working directory /tmp/apache_1.3.28
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build'

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat
keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Swiss Exchange.
This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to
the exchange or business activities of the SWX Swiss Exchange. Le
présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec
l'activité boursière de la SWX Swiss Exchange.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:43:06 +0200

> src/modules/ssl/ssl_expr_scan.l.
This shouldn't happen unless timestamps were messed up.  Try touching
src/modules/ssl/ssl_expr_scan.c to make sure its timestamp is newer than
the .l file.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall

---

From: Darin Holloway <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:48:12 -0400

I've found that the Sun versions of certain utilities (sed in my case, tar for 
lots of people) have problems with code that works fine with GNU utilities, my 
advice would be to install the gnu version of most utilities in /usr/local/bin 
or in /opt/bin and either use them as the first in your path (my 
recommendation) or just switch to the non-sun tools when needed.  Check out 
sunfreeware.com for the packages. flex is at version 2.5.4a on sunfreeware

-- 
Darin Holloway
Systems Administrator and Web Developer
Bluegrass Network, LLC

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:44:58 -0400 (EDT)

wasn't this an issue with a modssl version a year or two ago?  something
like the source files in the tarball not having the proper date stamps and
as Mad's mentiones, required a touch of a few files to make flex more
'flexable'?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!