Subject: Re: compiling apache2039

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:17:26 -0700

Does this mean that I should ignore the "fatal" errors in the config.log because it exits with code 0 or is this a problem? Sorry for my ignorance but the old stuff configures and compiles fine but I can't get version 2 to do anything but error out. This is one example. Thank you for your support.

configure:5549: gcc -o conftest  -g -O2 -pthreads  -DSOLARIS2=8 -D_POSIX_PTHREAD
_SEMANTICS -D_REENTRANT   -L/tmp/httpd-2.0.39/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib conf
test.c  >&5
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
bindprocessor                       /var/tmp/ccNLkua3.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5552: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5511 "configure"  

>>> [email-masked] 06/25/02 11:41AM >>>
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

> Even with just a ./configure I have many parse and symbol errors in the
> config.log when I conifgure apache2039 although it exits with a zero. Is
> that OK or do I need to work with someone to resolve these errors.

That's totally normal.  These "errors" are how autoconf determines which
features your compiler, linker, and system headers/libraries support.  If
it compiles and links, that's a "yes, the feature is available."  If it
fails to compile and link that's just a "no, the feature is not
available."  But a particular feature not being available is not usually
fatal.  The messages configure prints on stdout would tell you if it was a
fatal condition.

In other words: ignore config.log unless you encounter a fatal condition
and need to find out exactly what happened.

--Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org 
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked] 
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:23:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

> Does this mean that I should ignore the "fatal" errors in the config.log

Yes.  Like I said, don't even look at config.log unless configure itself
tells you something fatal happened.  And even if that happens, most of the
"fatal" things in config.log are not what caused configure to report a
fatal error.  "fatal" things in config.log just mean that a certain
feature is not available, not that a REAL fatal error occurred.

--Cliff