Subject: RE: SSL connections stopped working :(

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:04:55 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael McLagan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 08 April 2003 15:49
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: SSL connections stopped working :(
> 
> John,
> 
>    Let me clarify.  I'm using:
> 
>       apache  1.3.27    built from RH 7.3 spec non-compiler 
> with changes
>       mod_ssl 2.8.14    built from RH 7.3 spec non-compiler 
> with changes
>                         also tried 2.8.12
>       openssl 0.9.6b-33 as provided by RH.  It's sometime around the
>                         upgrade here that things went kablooey.  Was
>                         using -31 and -29.  Tried all revs back to -18
>                         without success.
> 
>    I built the first two using gcc 3.2-7, glibc-2.3.2-4.80.4.  
> 
Speaking personally I avoid compiling programs whenever I can. A few years
ago I had no choice but to compile Apache, but now I stick to the Red Hat
packages (one of our systems needs a one line patch, but even then that is
built into a new RPM package). There are so many kludges within Red Hat's
version of openssl I wouldn't try to build one (they remove patent
restricted code, so what you build will break sendmail, openssh and nearly
all your email programs). The sonames don't match up to what openssl creates
either.

That's why I'd say you are best off going back to the openssl RPM version
that Red Hat supply. In addition, you might want to check that you have the
openssl-devel package installed (as you can use that to build mod_ssl and
apache against).

I'll probably get flamed now...

John

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Michael McLagan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 11:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

John,

   I'm sorry, I must not be clear on this.  I am using RH's openssl
package, as provided.  I'm only compiling apache and mod_ssl.

   Michael