Subject: SSL connections stopped working :(

From: "Michael McLagan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:43:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

   Some time last week, we lost our ability to do SSL.  As near as I can 
figure, it was around the time I updated my openssl.  We're using RH 8.0 
and their openssl-0.9.6b-33 (says it's 6h).  

   I retrieved 2.8.14 from the site today (was using .12 and hoped this 
would fix it).  

   I've tried to build this thing on multiple machines, etc.  It's not 
helping.

   Basically any ssl connection gets logged by apache as "\x80F\x01\X03" 
intead of teh usual "GET / HTTP/1.1".

   None of the apache config files changed and I haven't done anything to 
the build part of my RPM specs.

   I tried reverting to an older openssl, an older glibc, etc.  None of 
it is working :(

   If anyone has a pointer to what I might look into, it would be most 
appreciated!

   Michael

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:16:08 +0100

There's a note in the openssl FAQ that points out that although versions of
Red Hat from 7.0 to 8.0 say openssl-0.9.6b, provided you have the latest
update installed then you have all the patches "backported" (ie it says "b"
but has all the security patches up to "h"). The most up to date version is
currently openssl-0.9.6b-33.

The simplest way out is to do

rpm -e openssl --nodeps
rpm -ivh openssl-0.9.6b-33.i386.rpm (or ...i686.rpm depending on your
architecture).

To check it has reinstalled properly do
rpm -V openssl

This should return no errors.

Finally restart the web server with "service httpd restart".

There are lots of things that break if you mess with openssl on Red Hat
boxes > version 6.2. However, provided you are careful there's nothing to
stop you trying out version 0.9.7.

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

Taking the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and Men crooked.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael McLagan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 07 April 2003 22:44
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: SSL connections stopped working :(
> 
> 
> Hello,
> 

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:21:45 +0100

Thanks for the clarification. I understand where you are at now (though not
sadly why you are getting such an odd message as \x80F\x01\X03 in your logs
rather than GET / HTTP/1.1).

John

> Sent: 08 April 2003 16:15
> Subject: RE: SSL connections stopped working :(
> 
> 
> John,
> 
>    I'm sorry, I must not be clear on this.  I am using RH's openssl
> package, as provided.  I'm only compiling apache and mod_ssl.
> 
>    Michael
> 
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:04:55 +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> 

-