Subject: SSL-enabled Apache with another module

From: Jay Burgess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:47:33 -0600

I'm struggling to get Apache built on Solaris with both mod_ssl and 
JServ.  I've had no trouble building an SSL-only Apache, and I've had a 
JServ-only Apache running for a year, but trying to get them both together 
in Apache together is causing me all kinds of trouble.  (Apache starts up 
fine in SSL mode, but JServ never starts.  And, there's no log information 
of any kind produced.)

I've included my complete build script below in case anyone sees anything 
that doesn't look right.  My UNIX skills are marginal at best, so I've 
built this script with a lot of cut and pasting from online docs, etc.  I'm 
assuming I've got some configure option wrong, but I sure don't see it.

Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Here's my script:

echo "*****************************************************************"
echo "[1] Configure and make Apache"
echo "*****************************************************************"
cd /Apache/1.3.20
CC="/usr/local/bin/gcc" MAKE="/usr/local/bin/gmake" ./configure \
--prefix=/Apache/1.3.20
gmake
gmake install

echo "*****************************************************************"
echo "[2] Configure and build OpenSSL"
echo "*****************************************************************"
cd /Apache/openssl-0.9.6b
sh config no-threads
gmake
gmake test

echo "*****************************************************************"
echo "[3] Add mod_ssl to Apache"
echo "*****************************************************************"
cd /Apache/mod_ssl-2.8.4-1.3.20
./configure --with-apache=/Apache/1.3.20

echo "*****************************************************************"
echo "[4] Configure and make JServ"
echo "*****************************************************************"
cd /Apache/ApacheJServ-1.1.2
CC="/usr/local/bin/gcc" MAKE="/usr/local/bin/gmake" ./configure \
--prefix=/Apache/ApacheJServ-1.1.2 \
--with-apache-src=/Apache/1.3.20 \
--with-jdk-home=/usr/java1.2 \
--with-JSDK=/Apache/jsdk2.0/lib/jsdk.jar
gmake
gmake install

echo "*****************************************************************"
echo "[5] Reconfigure Apache (with JServ and SSL)"
echo "*****************************************************************"
cd /Apache/1.3.20
CC="/usr/local/bin/gcc" MAKE="/usr/local/bin/gmake" 
SSL_BASE=/Apache/openssl-0.9.6b ./configure \
--prefix=/Apache/1.3.20 \
--enable-module=ssl \
--enable-shared=ssl \
--activate-module=src/modules/jserv/libjserv.a

echo "*****************************************************************"
echo "[6] Remake Apache"
echo "*****************************************************************"
cd /Apache/1.3.20
gmake
gmake certificate
gmake install

Jay
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Carlos Ramirez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:02:26 -0800

Verify that you actually do have Jserv built into your httpd. You can
either execute: /Apache/1.3.20/bin/httpd -l or look at your server
signature which should look something like this:
Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 mod_perl/1.26 mod_ssl/2.8.5
OpenSSL/0.9.6c 

Have you included the path to your jserv.conf file in your httpd.conf?
Your httpd.conf file should include the following line:
Include /usr/local/etc/jserv1.1.2/etc/jserv.conf

The only difference between my build process and yours is that I don't
do the shared thing i.e. I don't include the --enable-shared=ssl 

hhmmm...somehow this didn't feel like modssl related...

-Carlos

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carlos Ramirez + Boeing + Human Flight & Space Exploration +
714.372.4181
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]