Subject: Client authnetication

From: Chris Covell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:18:37 +0000

Hello guys,

I have been using client authentication for a while now to verify the identity 
of users at our web site. We run our own CA and point to the certificate file 
in SSLCACertificateFile in httpd.conf.

Now this all seems to work fine, but have the following errors in 
/var/log/httpd/error_log

[Mon Jan 27 18:35:19 2003] [error] mod_ssl: Re-negotiation handshake failed: 
Not accepted by client!?
[Mon Jan 27 18:35:19 2003] [error] mod_ssl: SSL error on writing data (OpenSSL 
library error follows)
[Mon Jan 27 18:35:19 2003] [error] OpenSSL: 
error:1409E0E5:lib(20):func(158):reason(229)

It seems strange as it seems to work.

I have looked through the archives and have seen reference to similar messages 
but they don't seem to explain what the problem is.

I am running RedHat 7.2, mod_ssl 2.8.12-2, apache 1.3.27-1.7.2 (these are 
RedHat rpm versions).

I have stmbled accross this error as I want to also authenticate clients whose 
certificates are signed by a different CA. That is another issue as I am 
getting strange results with that too. I thought I had better sort this one 
out first.

Please can anyone shead some light on where I can find out  what this error is 
all about.

Many thanks

Chris Covell
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]