Subject: RE: Apache 2.0.35 with SSL - wont start

From: Lynn Gazis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:06:11 -0700

I got that as well; I found that, while with Apache 1.3 I only needed to set
ServerName in httpd.conf, in Apache 2.0 I needed also to edit both
httpd.conf and ssl.conf and change the "0.0.0.0" in both files to my
system's real IP address (and, since I didn't care to test as root, change
the port numbers to 8080 and 8443).

I still haven't figured out why I can connect with IE but get nothing but
errors from swamp, though (I can use swamp just fine with Apache 1.3).

Lynn Gazis

-----Original Message-----
From: paul priestman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 5:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Apache 2.0.35 with SSL - wont start

Hello all,

I have downloaded and installed Apache 2.0.35 with SSL.  I have configured 
the httpd.conf as they suggest in ssl.conf.  However, when i try to start 
apachectl i get the following message:

(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down
./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

Has anyone any ideas what i'm doing wrong - i have succesfully got ssl 
working with apache 1.3.22.

Thanks for your time

Paul

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Geoff Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:57:15 +1200

Hi Lynn,

Not having the time to deal with 2.0.** right now, I haven't been keeping an 
eye on how swamp is finding it. In principle however, swamp's satisfaction 
with Apache 2.0 should be roughly equivalent to that of "openssl s_client". 
However, if Apache 2.0 itself doesn't like the "GET /\r/\n\r\n" request 
string, that might explain a termination or something - but again, you could 
verify that using s_client. Does s_client handshake OK with it?

If all else fails, please contact me off the list and I'll send some ideas 
about how to trace this.

Cheers,
Geoff

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 04:06, you wrote:
> I got that as well; I found that, while with Apache 1.3 I only needed to
> set ServerName in httpd.conf, in Apache 2.0 I needed also to edit both