Subject: Re: mod_ssl newbie

From: Peter Choe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:49:35 -0400

you probably want to look at .htaccess which would prompt people for userid 
and password to access certain parts of your webserver.

ssl provides encryption so that data being sent back and forth between your 
server and the client can't be easily read.

At 03:37 PM 7/30/2002, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I am new to the ssl world. Right now I am running w2k with apache 1.3.23 web
>server. I downloaded the mod_ssl package from the website. I changed the
>port on my apache web server to 443. On a high level what do i need to do to
>create a secure web server? I guess my real problem is i don't know what ssl
>does for me. What i am looking for is something that can password protect
>the files on my server. I want to let specific people to access my site and
>that is it. They must have a password to use it. Is mod_ssl what i want or
>should i be looking else where?
>thanks for any input,
>brian
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

Peter Choe

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]