Subject: certificate doesn't apply to ie

From: Herr Maik HERTHA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:52:33 +0200

hi gyu's;

i've some strange experience using the (latest) openssl (0.9.6c) library.
first:
i build openssl 0.9.6b on a solaris 7 box. the library is used with 
apache 1.3.17 and modssl 2.8.0. the creation of a self-signed 
certificate was done according chapter 6 of the mod-ssl handbook. there 
are no problems. the certificate is accepted by all incarnations of ie 
and sure all the mozilla-types (ns 4.x->mozilla).
second:
i want to upgrade the apache installation to 1.3.24 with modssl 2.8.8 
and openssl 0.9.6c. the build was done on a solaris 8 box. the creation 
of the self-signed certificate was done the same way described above. no 
problems in the creation process. but after installing the certificates 
on the server they where accepted only by the mozilla-types (ns 4.x-> 
mozilla) and opera browsers. all types of ie are not able to use this 
certificate. i get their stupid error-page with zero-information :-( . 
there is no error message in the logs, only in the 'ssl_engine_log' that 
a connection was established.
then i tried using a certificate build with the openssl installation on 
the solaris 7 box. after i installed this on the apache_modssl on the 
solaris 8 box also the ie-browser are able to establish a working https 
connection.
now i'm a little bit surprised, why the newer library creates certs 
which are not able for use with ie but the older one does. where is my 
mistake? :-\

any help will be appreciated.

cu.

-- 

mit freundlichem Gruß /
best regards

Maik Hertha

--------------------------------------------------- h+h
EBSP Anwenderbetreuung, +49 5361 9-74950
Volkswagen AG / Brieffach 1721 / D-38436 Wolfsburg
http://ebsp.wob.vw.de              
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------
hartmann+hertha
it (beratung / entwicklung / support)
http://www.hartmann-hertha.de
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------- h+h

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]