Subject: RE: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem: "Navigation Canceled"

From: "Jose Correia (J)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:09:42 +0200

By the way you are using AJPv13 and not AJPv12 on Tomcat right?

Tomcat needs AJPv13 to identify requests made via HTTPS.

Regards
Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: ROUITS Olivier [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 04 October 2002 12:05
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled" 

Our application is only in HTTPS, there is no unsecured content
because all
is forwarded to Tomcat (JSP/Images/HTML....) in a virtual host that
listen
to 443 port. 80 port is not open on apache front machine.

On IE 5.5 with 700Mhz pentium there is no problem
On IE 6 the problem is systematic for certain multi frame pages.

All the frames are updated simultaneously by "onLoad" javascript event
on
one of the frames.
When only one frame is updated, no problem.

Sometimes in navigation, some frames are not refreshed, requests are
broken...

I think that send requests at the same time (with javascript) to
refresh a
lot of frames (4 or 5) on the browser, breaks theses requests (in
HTTPS on
our configuration). Then the message "Navigation Canceled" is sent on
a
blank page in theses frames, but not in HTTPS mode (?), it's here that
the
message is shown in IE: "unsecured and secured data in page"
(something like
that, i'm french...).

We have also this configuration (2 Linux machines interconnected by
AJP) on
Linux/390 (2 virtual linux/390 on IBM mainframe under zVM)
with the front apache server in DMZ (internet access) and Tomcat
server in
PRODUCTION ZONE.

Here it's worse, because of latency introduced by FIREWALLS, rooters,
virtual machines wake up, and mainframe overload (many users connected
on
others virtual machines), ...

in ssl_engine_log i  see:

Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)

in mod_jk.log i have a lot of error like:

[Wed Oct 02 10:53:01 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 10:56:02 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:02:16 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:02:52 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:33:07 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 11:34:21 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 12:44:43 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed
[Wed Oct 02 12:48:39 2002]  [jk_ajp_common.c (948)]: Error
ajp_process_callback - write failed

Best regards.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clayton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: RE: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

I don't think the problem is about any thing u mentioned which is IE6
and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS. The common sense tell me that
we
shouldn't put unsecured and secured content together, you did mention
those errors happened in some frame pages, within one page which u
like
users to connect. So, if u tried not to put those content together, I
think u probably won't see the error message any more. Wish u make it
solved.

Best regards,
Clayton Chen : )

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ROUITS Olivier
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 3:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

I'm going watch SSL Directives for this problem, it's very strange
because
its a random problem.

I think there is a timout in IE for HTTPS (?) and mod_ssl+mod_jk
forwarding
is too slow for this timeout.

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Koch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

> On some frames of web pages we have the message: "Navigation
Canceled"
=
> and IE says that the page has secured and unsecured elements.
>
> This pages are JSP pages from an front Apache Linux server that
forward =
> requests with AJP (mod_jk, AJP 1.3) to another TOMCAT (4.0.3) Linux
=
> server.
>
> In simple HTTP protocol there is no problem, Apache+AJP+Tomcat works
=
> fine.

This sounds to me like someone is redirecting HTTPS to HTTP, instead
of
maintaining the 'over SSL' status of the URL...

Strange that you describe it as intermittent, though. Maybe a
caching-related issue?

Sorry this isn't more helpful...

--
Harald Koch     <[email-masked]>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
-Michael T. Fry
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "ROUITS Olivier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:20:22 +0200

Yes it's AJPv13

Olivier.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Correia (J)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 12:09 PM
Subject: RE: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

Regards
Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: ROUITS Olivier [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 04 October 2002 12:05
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

in ssl_engine_log i  see:

Best regards.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clayton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: RE: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

Best regards,
Clayton Chen : )

-----Original Message-----

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Koch" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: IE 6 and apache+mod_ssl+mod_jk+tomcat HTTPS problem:
"Navigation Canceled"

Canceled"
=
forward =
=
=