Subject: RE: httpsd doesn't start

From: "Mitchell, Edmund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:54:19 -0800

I was in your exact boat yesterday, (except I use RH 8), and my problem
turned out to 
be that the default, out-of-the-box ssl.conf file has ssl logging to
logs/whateverLogFile, 
and I don't have a logs subdirectory where I keep my ssl.conf.  
 
I commented out all the logging lines (and hopefully everything will work
when I replace 
them with the real paths to the real logs) and it started up right away with

/usr/sbin/httpd -k start -DSSL.
 
I wish it would have complained about this everytime I tried to start it up
rather than 
just returning a prompt as if everything was fine...
 
HTH

E

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Burkhouse [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: httpsd doesn't start

Hi All,

I saw a couple of references to this problem in the archives, but none of
the solutions there solved my problem.

I am running:

Red Hat 7.3

Apache 2.0.44

OpenSSL 0.9.7

1) I have a pretty vanilla httpd.conf  running only one site and I am trying
to set up a secure virtual site in /apache2/htdocs/secureSite/ . 

2) I created my key and self-signed cert in /apache2/conf/ .

3) I configured apache2/conf/ssl.conf to point to the correct key and cert
and with the correct path to the directory that I want to serve documents
from

I stop httpd and run apachectl startssl with no complaints, but only httpd
starts, not httpsd, and nothing gets logged.  I have no idea how to track
down what has gone wrong.  Can anyone offer any suggestions where to look? 

Sorry if this is not enough information - if you tell me what else you need,
I am happy to provide it to you.

Thanks,

Mike