Subject: SSL_R_DIGEST_CHECK_FAILED

From: Ken Snider <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:51:24 -0500

We have a 0.9.6-based client talking to a 0.9.7a-based mod_ssl server.

Communication is fine for initial session negotiation, and for SSL session 
resumption while the key remains in the cache. However, if the key has expired 
and we try to pass a new SSL Session ID to the client, the client response is 
rejected by the server.

The error the client is receiving is a handshake error 40 (0x28). The error
description generated in the Apache error log is:
Library Error: 336117909 error:1408C095:lib(20):func(140):reason(149)
lib 20: SSL Library
func 140: EC_F_EC_GROUP_GET_FINISHED
reason 149: SSL_R_DIGEST_CHECK_FAILED

..and is generated after the server receives the client response to the
ServerHello with certificate. The client response consists of a:
- ClientKeyExchange
- ChangeCipherSpec
- EncryptedHandshake

For this packet in question.

This does *not* happen against a 0.9.6-based mod_ssl of the same version of 
Apache.

Has anyone seen this specific error before in an implementation? 
(SSL_R_DIGEST_CHECK_FAILED)?

Any information would be appreciated. We're frankly scratching our heads as to 
where this problem is coming from.

-- 
Ken Snider

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]