Subject: RE: apachectl restart problem...

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:48:01 +0200

>From: Sean M Alderman [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
>Greetings all,
>  I'm curious if anyone has come across issues with starting apache
>using -
># $APACHE_HOME/bin/apachectl startssl
>and then having apache hang when issuing this -
># $APACHE_HOME/bin/apachectl restart
>
>I'm running 1.3.26 with the latest mod_ssl on Solaris 8.  I don't get
>any error messages in the logs, and apachectl says that it 
>restarts just
>fine, but when you point a browser back to the server it does not
>respond.  I can fix it with an apachectl stop;apachectl startssl, but
>I'm just curious about not being able to do the restart.

Restart sends a HUP to apache. I've found that this is sometimes insufficiently forceful to make apache reload certain SSL parameters (e.g. if you change the certificate). However, it should be sufficient for non-SSL edits.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Sean M Alderman <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2002 11:46:21 -0400

I thought it might be something like that, but typically when I've run
into this, I've made a change to a http virtual host, and all the other
virtual hosts ssl or not, are then not accessible.  Maybe apache needs a
better way to reload configs for virtual hosts (such that it doesn't
bother anything else)...but that's not a topic for this list.  :) 
Thanks for the response.

-- 
Sean M. Alderman
ITRACK Systems Analyst
PACE/NCI - NASA Glenn Research Center
(216) 433-2795

Calling a windowed operating system "Windows" is like naming an
automobile "Wheels."

---

From: "Peter Viertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:55:07 +0100

reloads dont work if your keys are encrypted - is this the case here?

i have happliy sent a sig USR1 to an ssl apache setup each night for two 
years - and never a problem - only goes awry if a cert or key changes.