Subject: Mod_ssl and apache 2.0.40

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:32:19 +0100

Hello,

I install on a PC linux redhat 8.0 a web server apache 2.0.40 and mod ssl
0.9.6b (configuration include in redhat 8.0)

I want to access a directory of my site with ssl. The directory site pages
have been written in html without ssl.
To avoid the rewritting of all pages, I try to put the following directives
in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf

<Location /test>
RewriteEngine        on
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on
RewriteRule ^/home/httpd/html/telechargement/(.*)$
https://%{SERVER_NAME}/telechargement/$1 [R,L]
</Location>

If I test http://machine.site/telechargement/fichier.html. The server
permanently loops .
I obtain  the following messages in ssl_access_log :

143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:22 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295
143.196.30.134 - - [10/Dec/2002:11:00:23 +0100] "GET /test/compteftp.doc
HTTP/1.1" 302 295

I read a lot of archives of the mail and the faq of apache. I have seen
that a lot of solutions for this matter has been
 found with apache 1.3.*. So i compile apache_1.3.27 with mod-ssl_2.8.12 on
the same PC. I test this server with the same config and it works fine.

Does anyone know where the problem is?

Regards

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:29:59 +0100

It is an obvious loop. Why are you suprised that this loops? Please
provide:

1) Example of incoming URL
2) What you want it to translate to

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Montag, 16. Dezember 2002 15:32
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Mod_ssl and apache 2.0.40
>
>
>Hello,
>

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:08:16 +0100

Sorry, I have a mistake in configuration in reality the directives in
><Location /test>
<Location /telechargement>
RewriteEngine        on
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on
RewriteRule ^/home/httpd/html/telechargement/(.*)$
https://%{SERVER_NAME}/telechargement/$1 [R,L]
</Location>

I test http://machine.site/telechargement/fichier.htmlwriteEngine        on

In reality, i have several questions :
Why http_2.0.40 loops and why apache_1.3.27 doesn't loop?
ANd why the server see the url  that I am testing
http://machine.site/telechargement/fichier.html like
/home/httpd/html/telechargement/fichier.html

Perhaps it's idiot question but i'd like someone answer this.

Thanks.

Françoise TUKALO
STNA  8IS
Tel  : 05 62 14 53 95
Fax : 05 62 14 54 02
email : [email-masked]