Subject: log question

From: "Kurt A. Buckardt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:15:21 -0600

I see this entry in the error_log file. 
[notice] Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.44 OpenSSL/0.9.6g configured
-- resuming normal operations

Two dumb questions:
1: If it is informational, why is it in an error log?
2: I have configured OpenSSL 0.9.7 on this box.  Previously (before
Apache was installed) it had OpenSSL 0.9.6g.  Is the reference to
OpenSSL 0.9.6g in the aforementioned log entry indicating that mod_ssl
included older OpenSSL code, or is the reference to 0.9.6 indicating
that something is misconfigured on my box?

Thanks for any thoughts.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:01:31 +0100

> 1: If it is informational, why is it in an error log?

That is how it has been done with apache - your LogLevel is set so that
this type of errors goes into the ErrorLog. Given that there is usually
only an access and an error log, this is the only place.

> that something is misconfigured on my box?
The openssl version number is defined at compile time, so even with a
new openssl you wouldn't see a difference. Wether it has in fact been
updated depends on wether openssl was linked statically or dynamically
into mod_ssl. If ldd is available on your os, then you can try:

ldd SERVER_ROOT/libexec/libssl.so

(SERVER_ROOT is usually /usr/local/apache/)
It will tell you which libraries libssl is linked to.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall