Subject: handshake problem with IE

From: Heribert Steuer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:11:57 +0200

Hello everybody,

i was already reading the posts on this issue, but all suggested tips
didnt help at all.
server is apache (see version numbers below) running on OpenBSD
3.0stable
client is Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.000 with 128bit
encryption

the logs say the following  (at least they are full of it):

[Thu May 16 18:52:12 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by
system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[Thu May 16 18:52:12 2002] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 54)

ssl_engine_log is :

[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [info]  Connection to child 0 established
(server cyrus.freiburg.peh:443, client 192.168.30.30)
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 1160 bytes of
entropy
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Handshake: start
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Loop: before/accept
initialization
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [debug] OpenSSL: read 11/11 bytes from
BIO#00A259C0 [mem: 00CCE000] (BIO dump follows)
[...]
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [debug] OpenSSL: read 67/67 bytes from
BIO#00A259C0 [mem: 00CCE00B] (BIO dump follows)
[...]
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Loop: SSLv3 read client
hello A
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Loop: SSLv3 write server
hello A
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Loop: SSLv3 write
certificate A
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Loop: SSLv3 write server
done A
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [debug] OpenSSL: write 762/762 bytes to
BIO#00A259C0 [mem: 00CA3000] (BIO dump follows)
[...]
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Loop: SSLv3 flush data
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [debug] OpenSSL: I/O error, 5 bytes
expected to read on BIO#00A259C0 [mem: 00CCE000]
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Exit: error in SSLv3 read
client certificate A
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [trace] OpenSSL: Exit: error in SSLv3 read
client certificate A
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [error] SSL handshake interrupted by system
[Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[16/May/2002 18:52:13 06053] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 54)

OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul 2001
mod_ssl version 2.8
mod_perl-1.26

Server version: Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)
Server built:   Oct 15 2001 11:48:41
Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:10
Server compiled with....
 -D EAPI
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_MMAP_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/var/www"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="logs/access_log"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"

if theres a need for more details, just let me know. this problem occurs
on 3 different machines
(all running OpenBSD with different versions of apache/mod_ssl)
i hope someone can help.

thanks in advance

Heribert Steuer
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:13:00 +0200

Hi Heribert,

are you sure these errors are caused by access/commmunication with the Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.000? Do they only occour when the webserver is accessed by a browser (i.e. MS IE6) or on a regulary basis: are you sure your web-servers are not behind any kind of load balancer which is sending "pings" or "keepalive" requests to your webserver? 

Kind regards,
B. Courtin

-----Original Message-----
From: Heribert Steuer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 7:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: handshake problem with IE

Hello everybody,

ssl_engine_log is :

thanks in advance

Heribert Steuer