Subject: shmcb access violation with openssl 0.9.6i

From: "WONG,ED (HP-Boise,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:16:27 -0500

Hello All,

I've been able to consistantly reproduce a GPF on Apache service shutdown
using Openssl 0.9.6i, and Apache 2.0.44.

Swapping to an older version of Openssl (0.9.6g) resolved the GPF.

To reproduce, simply download and build OpenSSL 0.9.6i and Apache 2.0.44.
Be sure to configure ssl to use the shmcb ssl session caching.  Launch
apache as a service and browse to the server using SSL.  Then try to stop
the apache service.  During shutdown, Apache will GPF.

Oddly, if you don't browse to the webserver using SSL, Apache will not GPF
on shutdown.  

If it helps, the call stack looks as follows:

NTDLL! 77f51baa()
NTDLL! 77f7561d()
apr_file_write(apr_file_t * 0x005e91c8, const void * 0x0006dd6c, unsigned
int * 0x0006dd58) line 316
apr_file_puts(const char * 0x0006dd6c, apr_file_t * 0x005e91c8) line 441
log_error_core(const char * 0x6fd1d948, int 117, int 4, int 720006, const
server_rec * 0x00602700, const request_rec * 0x00000000, apr_pool_t *
0x00000000, const char * 0x6fd1d924, char * 0x0006fdd0) line 543
ap_log_error(const char * 0x6fd1d948, int 117, int 4, int 720006, const
server_rec * 0x00602700, const char * 0x6fd1d924) line 561 + 37 bytes
ssl_mutex_on(server_rec * 0x00602700) line 118 + 28 bytes
ssl_scache_shmcb_remove(server_rec * 0x00602700, unsigned char * 0x00689dd8,
int 32) line 476 + 9 bytes
ssl_scache_remove(server_rec * 0x00602700, unsigned char * 0x00689dd8, int
32) line 158 + 17 bytes
ssl_callback_DelSessionCacheEntry(ssl_ctx_st * 0x00645240, ssl_session_st *
0x00689d90) line 1722 + 17 bytes
timeout(ssl_session_st * 0x00689d90, timeout_param_st * 0x0006fe6c) line 602
+ 18 bytes
lh_doall_arg(lhash_st * 0x006453d0, void (void)* 0x1001a516
timeout(ssl_session_st *, timeout_param_st *), void * 0x0006fe6c) line 290 +
13 bytes
SSL_CTX_flush_sessions(ssl_ctx_st * 0x00645240, long 0) line 619 + 18 bytes
SSL_CTX_free(ssl_ctx_st * 0x00645240) line 1259 + 11 bytes
ssl_init_ctx_cleanup(modssl_ctx_t * 0x0064ef68) line 1197 + 21 bytes
ssl_init_ctx_cleanup_server(modssl_ctx_t * 0x0064ef68) line 1213 + 9 bytes
ssl_init_ModuleKill(void * 0x0030c458) line 1249 + 12 bytes
run_cleanups(cleanup_t * * 0x0030a5d0) line 1976 + 13 bytes
apr_pool_destroy(apr_pool_t * 0x0030a5c0) line 755 + 12 bytes
apr_pool_destroy(apr_pool_t * 0x00308588) line 752 + 12 bytes
destroy_and_exit_process(process_rec * 0x00308618, int 0) line 247
main(int 3, const char * const * 0x003024a8) line 658 + 11 bytes
mainCRTStartup() line 338 + 17 bytes
KERNEL32! 77e814c7()

The error in log_error_core is:
[Mon Mar 03 12:43:04 2003] [warn] (OS 6)The handle is invalid.  : Failed to
acquire global mutex lock.

Is this a known issue?  Is there something that I'm missing?  Other than
changing from DBM to SHMCB, I have stock conf files.

Thanks in Advance,

************************************
Edward Wong                     
Connectivity Software Engineer

Hewlett-Packard Company  
************************************
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Edward Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:58:46 -0800

This is so bizzaire....  I sent this e-mail out a few weeks ago.  I have no 
idea why it got sent out again.  Please disregard this message.

--Ed

>From: "WONG,ED (HP-Boise,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: shmcb access violation with openssl 0.9.6i
>Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:16:27 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0
>Received: from mc9-f11.bay6.hotmail.com ([65.54.166.18]) by 
>mc9-s7.bay6.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Tue, 18 Mar 
>2003 06:47:14 -0800
>Received: from mmx.engelschall.com ([195.27.130.252]) by 
>mc9-f11.bay6.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Tue, 18 Mar 
>2003 06:47:13 -0800
>Received: by mmx.engelschall.com (Postfix)id 5C84E19390; Tue, 18 Mar 2003 
>15:45:23 +0100 (CET)
>Received: from master.modssl.org (unknown [195.27.176.156])by 
>mmx.engelschall.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3223519388for 
><[email-masked]>; Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:45:23 +0100 
>(CET)
>Received: by master.modssl.org (Postfix)id E2DA42AA04B; Tue, 18 Mar 2003 
>15:45:25 +0100 (CET)
>Received: by master.modssl.org (Postfix, from userid 4003)id CF36C2AA04A; 
>Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:45:25 +0100 (CET)
>Received: by master.modssl.org (Postfix, from userid 4000)id 6B2AB2AA020; 
>Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:45:25 +0100 (CET)
>Received: from atlrel8.hp.com (atlrel8.hp.com [156.153.255.206])by 
>master.modssl.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id C10872AA015for 
><[email-masked]>; Mon,  3 Mar 2003 21:16:35 +0100 (CET)
>Received: from xatlrelay1.atl.hp.com (xatlrelay1.atl.hp.com 
>[15.45.89.190])by atlrel8.hp.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B141F1C00EF9for 
><[email-masked]>; Mon,  3 Mar 2003 15:16:33 -0500 (EST)
>Received: from xatlbh4.atl.hp.com (xatlbh4.atl.hp.com [15.45.89.189])by 
>xatlrelay1.atl.hp.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 84B5A1C000BEfor 
><[email-masked]>; Mon,  3 Mar 2003 15:16:33 -0500 (EST)
>Received: by xatlbh4.atl.hp.com with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2655.55)id 
><GCXJR55T>; Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:16:33 -0500
>X-Message-Info: 820stLNiepR2PyHkKYPO1lJ65qO6/JF5
>Delivered-To: [email-masked]
>X-Original-To: [email-masked]
>Delivered-To: [email-masked]
>X-Original-To: [email-masked]
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2655.55)
>Sender: [email-masked]
>Precedence: bulk
>X-Sender: "WONG,ED (HP-Boise,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
>X-List-Manager: Majordomo [version 1.94.5]
>X-List-Name: modssl-users
>Return-Path: [email-masked]
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Mar 2003 14:47:14.0245 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[43A56750:01C2ED5D]
>
>Hello All,
>

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail