Subject: certificate in Apache2.0.36!

From: "Nay Mooly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:47:23 +0900

Hello

I am a student to study Linux.
I use RedHat Linux 7.1.
I want to use ssl with mod_ssl in Apache2.0.36.

I use    # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 
--enable-mods-shared="ssl"
         # make
         # make certificate TYPE=custom
Then I get this message
         make*** no rule to make target 'certificate'   discontinuation

Please help me.
Thanks

---Nay---

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:47:04 -0400 (EDT)

>          make*** no rule to make target 'certificate'   discontinuation

Please see my message from earlier today on this subject, subject "Re:
make certificate TYPE=custom?"

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Charlottesville, VA

---

From: Alex Earl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:56:32 -0600

Hi!

First off I would like to thank you for your help and knowledge! I enjoy
this forum a lot!

I have set up mod_ssl with Apache 1.3 and everything seems to run just fine
on the local machine. I can curl https://localhost (and the actual server
address) and get the right stuff...but when I try to access it from anywhere
else I get a server not found error. Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Alex Earl

---

From: "DG Speekenbrink" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:16:29 +0200

Hi,

This sounds more like a general Apache config problem.
is it possible to request pages with the regular http:// request?

If not, some settings in your httpd.conf are the problem.

Good luck,

Dennis

---

From: "Peter Viertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:44:34 +0100

You say you can connect to the 'actual server address' while on the
actual machine but not from across the network.

You do not say which operating system you're using - but if it's redhat
linux for example, perhaps you've got iptables rules. Otherwise  is
network routing ok, like does the machien have it's default route set
correctly?

---

From: Dale Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:52:29 -0400 (EDT)

Make sure your server is set up in DNS for your domain as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let me up to get my bat and I'll thank you."
   -- Calvin
___

Dale Weaver                               [email-masked]
UNIX Systems Administrator                (919) 662-3508	
Wake Technical Community College          fax (919) 779-3360

---

From: "Alex Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:41:02 -0600

My regular server stuff runs fine. I think it has something to do with the
ipchains as other people have mentioned. I am looking into it now. Thanks
everyone!

---

From: Alex Earl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:40:18 -0600

I went in and changed the ipchains to allow https, but it still will not
connect from a remote location. Someone mentioned setting up DNS for my
domain. I was wondering what you meant. Again, I appreciate all your help
for a new guy!

Alex Earl

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:51:20 -0400 (EDT)

first, have you registered a domain?  does this server have a static IP
address that reflects to this domain?  Or is this a machine on the campus
backbone or student residential systems under the edu domain you are
posting from?

Thanks,

Ron Dufresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: Alex Earl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:56:56 -0600

It has a static IP. I can access non-ssl stuff just fine. Check out
http://eagle.cs.usu.edu

When I try it with https://eagle.cs.usu.edu though it doesn't work form a
remote machine...only the local maching.

---

From: "Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:52:23 -0600

You probably need to add port 443 into your ipchains file

eg /etc/sysconfig/ipchains

add
-A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 443 -p tcp -y -j ACCEPT

Or you may have some configuration program that will do this for you.... I do ipchians by hand.

---

From: Leslie Arvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:59:55 -0500

I was able to access your site using SSL from
iparho.stat.purdue.edu in Netscape 4.76 on Unix AIX
just now with no problems.

-- Leslie Arvin
   [email-masked]
   Webmaster
   Purdue Statistics Dept.

---

From: Alex Earl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:58:31 -0600

Thanks! I got it working a little while ago.

Alex