Subject: Openssl/modssl on automounted partition?

From: Carlos Ramirez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:46:41 -0700

Is OpenSSL required to be installed locally to work with mod_ssl as
opposed to building Apache/mod_ssl from a NFS mounted install of
openssl? My experiences are indicating that YES openssl should be
installed on a local filesystem? Is this correct?

I just built Apache/mod_ssl-2.8.11-1.3.27/openssl-0.9.6g on
UNIX/Solaris8 using an installation of openssl on a NFS mounted
partition and I am getting this pop-up message when I try to access the
server via https:
"SSL has recieved an error from the server indicating an incorrect
Message Authentication Code.
This could indicate a network error, a bad server implementation, or a
security violation."

apache/error_log:
[Wed Oct  9 09:31:12 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server
myserver.com:443, client 141.102.34.157) (OpenSSL library error follows)
[Wed Oct  9 09:31:12 2002] [error] OpenSSL: error:1408F455:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or bad record mac

All my other Apache/modssl/openssl servers are working fine, although
they are built using a local install of openssl. 

If this is true. maybe it should be added to the FAQs or the INSTALL
file?

Thanks,

-Carlos
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]