Subject: Mod_ssl in apache 2.X

From: "Johan Bryssling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:34:51 +0100

Hi!

I have a couple of questions:

If mod_ssl is included in apache2.x why doesnt it show up in the modulelist
when I use:

%> httpd -l

?

If it's not "included" when I "default" compile (using the INSTALL-file
instructions), how do I know how to compile in the mod_ssl into the apache
(if this is my first time)?

Where do I find information about these things, I certanly dont install
apache at a regulary basis.. ;-)

I noted a default config file for SSL (I also found an include into the
httpd.config-file) and used the command:

%>httpd -DSSL -k start

.. but it(apache) couldnt find the mod_ssl.. Why? If it's included I
shouldnt bother or?... Something I missed?

All help will be appricated.

Thanks...

/Johan

ps. Thinking of using Apache 1.3.7 instead due to the extended source of
good documentation...

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:52:58 -0500 (EST)

Didn't read any of the documentation in that tarball did ya?

   INSTALL

	[SNIP]

  For a short impression of what possibilities you have, here is a
  typical example which configures Apache for the installation tree
  /sw/pkg/apache with a particular compiler and flags plus the two
  additional modules mod_rewrite and mod_speling for later loading
  through the DSO mechanism:

     $ CC="pgcc" CFLAGS="-O2" \
     ./configure --prefix=/sw/pkg/apache \
     --enable-rewrite=shared \
     --enable-speling=shared

  The easiest way to find all of the configuration flags for Apache 2.0
  is to run ./configure --help.

	[SNIP]

The new apache is not the best as far as documentation concerns, certainly
not up to the documentation that the older apache with or without mod-ssl
integration, but, there is info to be gleened, if one looks.

How about the apache web pages, read that at all?

Now you have to do some work on your own, you can't expect others to do it
all for you and remain lazy.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: "Johan Bryssling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:39:19 +0100

Hi!

Im not here to quarrel with you kid. Im here to get some help, and your
insults are not helping very much.

I thought this was the modssl-users list for people with
not-so-much-expert-knowledge and not the linux-experts-with-nolife
mailinglist.

Im working under time pressure and cannot afford reading old documentation
all day and then guess how the latter versions work (but of course I have
read most of the old documentation anyway...).

If I understand the example below I could rewrite it:

CC="pgcc" CFLAGS="-O2" \
     --enable-ssl=shared
?

... and load "mod_ssl.so" dynamically with "Loadmodule" latter on? Right?
(Of course its right.. ;) )

"Now you have to do some work on your own, you can't expect others to do it
all for you and remain lazy."

You call me lazy and think you know me after one email, that's cute. ;) I
was asking a question and not hiring you or anybody else for a job. You even
didnt have to answer. Im not demanding anything. (This is the first time I
ask a usergroup a question at all, silly.)

"The new apache is not the best as far as documentation concerns, certainly
not up to the documentation that the older apache with or without mod-ssl
integration, but, there is info to be gleened, if one looks"

Right, I and other developers still havnt all day, thats why it exists
user-groups to ask someone who already knows and perhaps have some time over
for an clear answer.

If I had some time over myself I would be happy to contribute with some
quick-start-(dummy)-tutorials, because it's needed. Setting up Apache2 with
SSL must be one of the most common configurations... Perhaps I will
contribute in not-so-distance-future. ;)

Regards

/Johan

-----Original Message-----
From: R. DuFresne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: den 4 december 2002 16:53
To: Johan Bryssling
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Mod_ssl in apache 2.X

   INSTALL

	[SNIP]

	[SNIP]

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

---

From: Daniel Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 07:24:15 -0800

For mod_ssl on Apache 2.0 you may want to check also the secure server
chapter I have online, which contains step by step instructions

http://www.apacheworld.org/ty24/

Best regards

Daniel