Subject: An apache web proxy with client auth?

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:14:38 +0200

Sorry to bug you folks if this is a FAQ, but I haven't seen a clear answer
in the docs.

The situation I have is that some clients are connecting (via http) to an
apache configured as a reverse proxy, which then in turn connects to another
machine (again via http). Now there is a need to change the communication
between the apache and the third party machine to use https and the remote
server requires client certificates. 

Is it possible to configure apache + mod_ssl to authenticate itself to the
other server?

-Torvald
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:48:17 +0100

Ok, have tried to make this work with common sense, but have given up.

Therefore I repeat the question, in hope that it might clarify somewhat:

I have a machine A, which communicates with a machine C via a proxy B
(running apache with mod_ssl). Today, all communication is handled via http.
We must move the communication between B and C to ssl, and C will require
client certificates.

The question now is how can I set up B to send client certificates to C when
it connects     
to it?

The directives I have seen mentioned are:

SSLProxyMachineCertificateFile
SSLProxyVerifyDepth
SSLProxyCACertificateFile
SSLProxyCACertificatePath

...but I have not seen any documentation on any of them, does it exist?

regards
Torvald

---

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:48:17 +0100

regards
Torvald