Subject: problems with mod_ssl install...

From: danielm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:31:46 +0930

Hi listmembers,

I am needing some help to get mod ssl up and running, if you'd be so
kind...

My system is freebsd, and I've been going from the INSTALL file included
with mod_ssl(2.8.8). Everything installed fine, I edited httpd.conf and
added Listen 443. I start apache with the startssl option, I enter the
password... everything looks good... I can connect to the computer on
port 80, but when I try port 443 I get "The page cannot be displayed"
error in ie and a time out in Netscape and Lynx. 

Am I making a typical newbie mistake? Can anyone help me out?
Any clues *much* appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Peter Viertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:00:34 +0100

you need to do a bit more than just adding Listen 443 to the conf file.

there is an example conf file in '{apachesourcedir}/conf/http.conf-dist' 
that  should help you with what to add.

---

From: "Andrew Scrivner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:54:00 -0600

My only advice is to make sure that you are running
$APACHEROOT/bin/apachectl startssl to start your SSL aware server, make sure
	that you have listening a correctly defined SSL PORT ( YOu declare the SSL
listen
	port TWICE in the httpd.conf, once in an <IfDefineSSL> block, once in  the
	this area:
##
## SSL Virtual Host Context
##
#<VirtualHost _default_:35102>

<VirtualHost _default_:443>            <------- Make sure this is the same as
above...

#  General setup for the virtual host
DocumentRoot "/opt/apache_1.3.12_ssl/htdocs"

The make sure to test the port with something better than a web browser:
/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl s_client connect $HOSTNAME:$SSLPORTNUM -state -debug,

with will show whether ot nor SSL is listening on yout port, lastly make sure
when
the browser hits the port that you are hitting the port like: https://whaterver

Good Luck
andrew
r
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of danielm
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 2:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: problems with mod_ssl install...

Hi listmembers,

---

From: danielm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:21:32 +0930

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the virtual host was set up... when I ran
it using ./httpd -DSSL it all worked. I found an ambiguous mail in the
archives that seemed to suggest it. The setup guide doesn't tell you how
to start apache, and the apache config tells you the wrong way: 
"...when you want to run it with SSL enabled use: /apache/bin/apachectl
startssl", so it's confusing to say the least.

Now I have a new problem. When I add my other virtual domains back into
the conf file they don't work. They are IP based virtual domains. When I
start it using "apachectl start" they do work, but of course SSL is not
enabled. Have you got any hints as to what I could check for to get
everything going together?

Thanks, a lot!
Daniel.