Subject: RE: how to add multiple SSL cert for each virtual host?

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:17:12 +0100

>From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
>But please, people, this is SUCH a frequently asked question.  
>Definitely one of the top three. 

I'd say it is THE most frequently asked question (but I can't be
bothered scanning the archives to prove it :-)

The FAQ (http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC47) is all very
well, but it is rather technical for a newbie and, having been written
by someone for whom English is a second language, is not as illuminating
as it might be. I had a go a re-writing it a few years ago
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&m=98559369910170&w=2) so
maybe we could start there...

However, given the tendency of people to read the instructions only if
all else fails, putting a warning in the default config sounds like a
good idea. Putting an error message in the source-code would be even
better!

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Justin Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:26:44 +0000

A whole new error class!  RTFM errors and ID-10-T error codes alongside!  If 
nothing else, it would be thoroughly entertaining!

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:51:01 +0100

> bothered scanning the archives to prove it :-)
Yeah, I think so too.

> maybe we could start there...
Yes, I'll add it to the 2.x docs.

> good idea. Putting an error message in the source-code would be even
I'm pretty sure there already is (at least in 1.3) but that requires
people to read the error_log.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall

---

From: Hack Hawk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:56:15 -0800

>nothing else, it would be thoroughly entertaining!

In my defense, I ALWAYS RTFM before asking questions like this.  HOWEVER, 
in this case, the httpd.conf APPEARS to indicate that this type of 
configuration/support should be possible.  So, being the curious, technical 
type of person that I am, I'd probably just start trying to make it work 
even before RTFMing to find that it's not actually supported.  MUCH wasted 
time if I hadn't stumbled upon this conversation in this group.

I'm of the opinion that it would be "NICE" if there was some info about 
this in the httpd.conf file on top of the manual and FAQ's.  Note that I 
only say it would be "NICE".  I'd still end up going to the manual and FAQ 
before posting such a question.  I certainly don't mind the extra work, 
considering the absolutely awesome price of the product.  ;)

- hawk