Subject: SSL Not Working from Outside LAN

From: "Jeff Umstead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 10:03:13 -0400

I've recently added a Red Hat 7.3 Linux server to our network running Apache and 
mod_ssl.  My problem is I can't make an https (over standard port 443) connection from 
outside our network.  I can connect via http (port 80) from both inside and outside our 
LAN.  

I have the necessary port pass throughs, firewall rules etc in place for both ports.  It 
works perfectly from inside our lan (subnet) to either http or https but not from our other 
sites (different subnets) or from the internet.

I believe the problem is either an incorrect setting in httpd.conf or perhaps in a network 
configuration file I've overlooked.  Or ???

Any help / tips  would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--
Jeff Umstead
IS Director
Merrill Tool Holding Company
Saginaw MI USA

This e-mail (and attachment(s)) has been virus scanned by
McAfee WebShield.

This message is intended only for use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized
use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail
or attachments, in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this message in
error, please inform the sender by replying to this message
and then delete the message and any attachments from your
system and destroy all copies. Thank You

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Jeffrey Burgoyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 10:10:30 -0400 (EDT)

How about a simple test to ensure it is not the firewall. Set apache to
listen to HTTPS across port 80, which you already know works outside the
firewall. Then you can easily test to ensure it is not the firewall.

Jeff

---

From: "Jeff Umstead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 11:03:15 -0400

Good idea!  I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try that.  

I did however do some packet sniffing and noticed that tcp packets 
from outside the firewall do get to the web server and the web 
server returns tcp packets.  But never returns any SSL ( actually 
SSLv2 protocol I think) packets.  Watching the packets for http the 
tcp and http packets pass back and forth.

Thanks

On 6 Oct 2002 at 10:10, Jeffrey Burgoyne wrote:

> 
> How about a simple test to ensure it is not the firewall. Set apache
> to listen to HTTPS across port 80, which you already know works
> outside the firewall. Then you can easily test to ensure it is not 
the
> firewall.
> > I've recently added a Red Hat 7.3 Linux server to our network
> > running Apache and mod_ssl.  My problem is I can't make an 
https
> > (over standard port 443) connection from outside our network.  
I can
> > connect via http (port 80) from both inside and outside our LAN.  
> > 
> > I have the necessary port pass throughs, firewall rules etc in 
place
> > for both ports.  It works perfectly from inside our lan (subnet) to
> > either http or https but not from our other sites (different
> > subnets) or from the internet.
> > 
> > I believe the problem is either an incorrect setting in httpd.conf
> > or perhaps in a network configuration file I've overlooked.  Or 
???