Subject: Client certificates and known msie 4 / 5.5 errors and SSLv2

From: Lennert de Waal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:38:13 +0100

Hi,
I know this topic has been covered before but I have some strange
experiences and couldn't find a resolution.
I'm using redhat 6.2 with Apache and mod_ssl configured. I have the known
problems which prevent msie export versions (40 and 56 bit) from connecting
to the server using SSL, but I'm able to solve this (for 99% of the clients)
by adding the

SSLProtocol -SSLv3

parameter.
When I add the

SSLVerifyClient optional

parameter to check whether a client has a certificate and when not present a
username/password challenge form a .htaccess file, no MSIE client can
connect. I have to remove the "SSLProtocol -SSLv3" parameter to gain access
but when I do that, export versions of MSIE can not connect anymore...

Does anybody know if ClientCertificates checking can only be done when
enabling SSLv3?

Thanks for reading, I hope the post is clear enough!
Sorry for the corp. sig.

Lennert de Waal - the Netherlands

--
****************************************************************************
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and
is the property of the Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group. It is only intended
for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy disseminate,
distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies
of this message.
****************************************************************************
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]