Subject: Need mod_ssl to install with existing Apache

From: Server Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:07:19 -0500

I am running FBSD 4.5-stable with Apache-1.3.23 with numerous mods and
other dependents all set, configured & running okay. BUT, now need SSL and
must install just the mod_ssl without any other changes, except OpenSSH
that I (believe?) I can activate from the base system.

Being this is my first time to try this type of install and I don't want to
mess up the existing system (it's built for production and time is of
essence), I would appreciate the advice on the exact steps to install the
tarball mod_ssl-2.8.7-1.3.23.tar.gz now to set up SSL. I assume it involves
the use of pkg_add, etc., but unsure about each step and the right syntax.

This looks like my best place to ask for this help, please (please)....
many thanks in advance.

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Aryeh Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:27:06 -0400

Jack,
> other dependents all set, configured & running okay. BUT, now need SSL
> and must install just the mod_ssl without any other changes, except
> OpenSSH that I (believe?) I can activate from the base system.
> 
> Being this is my first time to try this type of install and I don't
> want to mess up the existing system (it's built for production and
> time is of essence), I would appreciate the advice on the exact steps
> to install the tarball mod_ssl-2.8.7-1.3.23.tar.gz now to set up SSL.
The following is from the FAQ http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html

When I startup Apache I get errors about undefined symbols like 
ap_global_ctx?   [L]

                       This actually means you installed mod_ssl as a DSO, but 
without rebuilding Apache with EAPI. Because EAPI is a requirement for 
mod_ssl, you need an extra patched Apache (containing the EAPI patches) 
and you have to build this Apache with EAPI enabled (explicitly specify --
enable-rule=EAPI at the APACI command line). 

As you can see, the Apache core is patched with EAPI (extended API) 
features in order to support SSL

---
Aryeh Katz
VASCO 			
www.vasco.com