Subject: openssl-0.9.7-beta1 testing

From: Steve Romero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:57:28 -0500

Hi all,

Didn't see a bug list, but wanted to let everyone know that I had problems 
with this beta release under the following conditions:

+ gcc
+ Solaris 8 (patched)
+ rsaref-2.0
+ openssl-0.9.7-beta1

When compiling openssl I get:

evp_test.c: In function `main':
evp_test.c:361: warning: implicit declaration of function `strsep'
evp_test.c:361: warning: passing arg 1 of `atoi' makes pointer from integer 
without a cast
gcc -o evp_test -I.. -I../include  -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_ULTRASPARC -fPIC 
-DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5 
-fPIC -m32 -mcpu=ultrasparc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -DB_ENDIAN 
-DBN_DIV2W -DMD5_ASM evp_test.o  -L.. -lcrypto 
-L/home/sromero/openssl-0.9.7-beta1/../rsaref-2.0/local/rsaref -lsocket 
-lnsl -ldl
evp_test.o: In function `main':
evp_test.o(.text+0x11bc): undefined reference to `strsep'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [evp_test] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/LOG/home/sromero/openssl-0.9.7-beta1/test'
make: *** [sub_all] Error 1

Uh-oh.  I've tried compiling using gcc versions 2.8.1, 2.9.5, and 3.0.3.

I DID successfully compile openssl-0.9.7-stable-SNAP-20020529 using the 
above ingredients.  However when using openssl-0.9.7-stable-SNAP-20020529, 
I ran into trouble compiling apache-1.3.24 with SSL support using the 
following ingredients:

+ gcc (same versions mentioned above)
+ Solaris 8 (patched)
+ rsaref-2.0
+ openssl-0.9.7-stable-SNAP-20020529
+ mm-1.1.3
+ mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24
+ apache-1.3.24

When compiling apache with these ingredients I get:

/include -DMOD_SSL_VERSION=\"2.8.8\" ssl_engine_vars.c && mv 
ssl_engine_vars.o ssl_engine_vars.lo
ssl_engine_vars.c:410: `NID_uniqueIdentifier' undeclared here (not in a 
function)
ssl_engine_vars.c:410: initializer element is not constant
ssl_engine_vars.c:410: (near initialization for 
`ssl_var_lookup_ssl_cert_dn_rec[12].nid')
ssl_engine_vars.c:410: initializer element is not constant
ssl_engine_vars.c:410: (near initialization for 
`ssl_var_lookup_ssl_cert_dn_rec[12]')
ssl_engine_vars.c:411: initializer element is not constant
ssl_engine_vars.c:411: (near initialization for 
`ssl_var_lookup_ssl_cert_dn_rec[13]')
ssl_engine_vars.c:412: initializer element is not constant
ssl_engine_vars.c:412: (near initialization for 
`ssl_var_lookup_ssl_cert_dn_rec[14]')
make[4]: *** [ssl_engine_vars.lo] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/LOG/home/sromero/apache_1.3.24/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/LOG/home/sromero/apache_1.3.24'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Oops.  Looks like a compatibility problem with mod_ssl-2.8.8.

Sorry I can't contribute fancy debugging information - I'm just a user.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  If not I hope this information leads to a 
quick release of a stable version of openssl-0.9.7.

Regards,
Steve Romero

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Lutz Jaenicke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:10:35 +0200

> make: *** [sub_all] Error 1

This bug has been fixed since the release of OpenSSL-0.9.7-beta1.
Beta2 will be released soon.

> + gcc (same versions mentioned above)
RSAREF is no longer being used or required.
> ssl_engine_vars.c:410: `NID_uniqueIdentifier' undeclared here (not in a 

The OpenSSL developers are aware of this problem. It is created by
uniqueIdentifier not being the correct name of the OID (object
identifier). The correct OID is X500UniqueIdentifier (thus leading
to NID_X500UniqueIdentifier being available instead).
The name change was required in order to become compatible to
the LDAP scheme defined in RFC2253.
However: as you already found out, it breaks compatibility.

We have not yet decided about what to do about this problem.
Unfortunately UniqueIdentifier was already used for another OID
in RFC1274 (that is however currently disabled in OpenSSL), so
that it does not make sense for OpenSSL to simply leave things
as they were...

For a more complete discussion of this item please check out the
OpenSSL request tracker
 http://www.openssl.org/support/rt2/
 http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/rt2/NoAuth/Buglist.html
and more specifically Ticket #82
 http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/rt2/Ticket/Display.html?id=82
(guest account is "guest"/"guest").

Best regards,
	Lutz
-- 
Lutz Jaenicke                             [email-masked]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/
BTU Cottbus, Allgemeine Elektrotechnik
Universitaetsplatz 3-4, D-03044 Cottbus
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]