Subject: RE: Re[2]: OT: cheap CA certificates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:54:50 -0600

Here is one comparison of different SSL certificate choices and their
prices:

http://www.whichssl.com/ssl-certificate-comparison.html

--Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: James Treworgy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 2:12 PM
To: Goetz Babin-Ebell
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re[2]: OT: cheap CA certificates

Thawte is pretty cheap. $127 bucks through their ISP channel (anyone
can sign up) for a regular web cert, I am not sure you can do much better.

If it's not worth $127 a year, then I assume it's not for profit, e.g.
for internal use only or for a small number of users. In that case,
just use self-signed certificates. They're no less secure, they just
pop up a warning. Advise your users to add them to their root store
the first time they connect to your site and even that won't happen
anymore. We do this for all our internal secured sites.

-- Jamie

Monday, November 17, 2003, 3:05:23 PM, you wrote:

GBE> Hello Eric,

GBE> Eric Wood wrote:
>> Where can I get cheap/reliable certs for a Apache that IE 5.5+ clients
will
>> authorize against?  Thawte and Verisign have outpriced themselves.

GBE> That depends on your definition of the terms cheap and reliable.

GBE> But we offer client and server certs
GBE> (low level client certs are still free)

GBE> Bye

GBE> Goetz

-- 
Best regards,
 James                            mailto:[email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]