Subject: Is anyone successfully runnin OWA2K behind Apache/mod_ssl?

From: Jason Haar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:03:35 +1300

We're using Apache/mod_ssl to provide a reverse-proxy to some backend Web
servers, and want to add OWA2K to the list (that's Outlook Web Access for
Microsoft Exchange 2000).

It works fine with OWA from Exchange 5.5 - which was basically just HTML
plus some javascript - but OWA2K (under IE5+) uses all sorts of whizzy M$
stuff, and doesn't work!

If you access OWA2K with a non-IE browser (e.g. Mozilla), OWA2K reverts to
the older format and works fine - it just doesn't work well from IE (ironic
isn't it :-)

It's pretty flakey. IE5.0 works pretty well, IE5.5 works 20% of the time and
IE6 just dies. It goes without saying that all these browsers work fine when
talking directly to the OWA2K server: it's only via the RP that they fail.

I've done packet sniffs and compares and can't see anything out of the
ordinary. I think it's an OWA issue, or an IE security-context issue, but
can't say for sure.

Anyone else got any stories about this?

Thanks

-- 
Cheers

Jason Haar
Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417
PGP Fingerprint: 7A2E 0407 C9A6 CAF6 2B9F 8422 C063 5EBB FE1D 66D1
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:44:42 -0000

I had a discussion with someone about this off the list, but we didn't
resolve it. Until recently we too used a reverse proxy to connect to
Exchange 5.5, but this became too much hassle to keep up. 

How about turning off keep-alives on the Exchange 2000 server? This might
help, as keep-alives don't give very much performance advantage anyway.
After all, the apache-mod_ssl server will have keep-alives disabled (or
should do).

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

If we could learn one thing from September 11th 2001, it would be the utter
absurdity of moral relativism.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jason Haar [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 07 November 2002 08:04
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Is anyone successfully runnin OWA2K behind Apache/mod_ssl?
> 
> 

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk