Subject: Using https without certificates

From: "Bruce Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:55:41 -0000

Can anyone out there explain how (/whether ?) I can configure mod_ssl so
that I can use https for encryption without needing to use certificates ?
Thanks,
Bruce Smith

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:13:22 +0200

> Bruce Smith wrote:
> 
> Can anyone out there explain how (/whether ?) I can configure mod_ssl
> so that I can use https for encryption without needing to use
> certificates ?

SSL can't work without a certificate since the certificate contains the
public key of the server which is used to establish the encrypted
communications.

However, you don't need to buy a third-party certificate. You can make a
self-signed certificate as described in:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC28

rgds,

Owen Boyle.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]