Subject: Basic SSL/Certificates

From: "Witham, Darren (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:05:42 +0100

Hi,

  This is proabably a real basic SSL question but I hope someone can put me
out of my misery. 

  I have Apache/Weblogic up and running using the demo keys and certs
provided by Weblogic 
  I have 3 files : ca.pem, democert.pem and demokey.pem. They are referenced
in 3 places in my httpd.conf file i.e
  SSLCertificateFile c:/bea/wlserver6.1/config/devdomain/democert.pem
  SSLCertificateKeyFile c:/bea/wlserver6.1/config/devdomain/demokey.pem
  TrustedCAFile c:/bea/wlserver6.1/config/devdomain/ca.pem  (apache/weblogic
plugin parameter).
Now that is working I have been given a 'real' certificate to use -
cert.der.  I am told this is a PKCS#12 file and should contain key and
certificate.

Question is I don't know what to do with it. I am getting confused when
reading documentation that I need to convert .der's to .pem's etc. Do I need
to extract the key ? If I reference this file directly in Apache it won't
start - it doesn't like the format. Do I use OpenSSL and use this file to
create 3 pem files as used above ?

Any pointers gratefully received.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Martin Leung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:25:14 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,

You may extract the key and cert with the following command:

openssl pkcs12 -in cert.der -nodes -out certAndKey.pem

Then, you can extract cert.pem and key.pem from the output file.

ca.pem is probably used for authentication and not for SSL server setup.

Rgds.
Martin

<quote who="Contractor">
> reading documentation that I need to convert .der's to .pem's etc. Do I
> need to extract the key ? If I reference this file directly in Apache it
> won't start - it doesn't like the format. Do I use OpenSSL and use this
> file to create 3 pem files as used above ?
>