Subject: File Acknowledgement

From: "Nauman, Ahmed [IT]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:06:43 -0400

Hi All,

How can we know at server side in apache that a GET or PUT request has been
received and it was failed or successfull ? Can we get somehow the response
code so that some script and/or tool at Server side can delete/archive the
file which have been retrieved by the client in some specific folders?. Is
there any industry standard for such file acknowledgement.

Regards,
Nauman
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:10:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Nauman, Ahmed [IT] wrote:

> How can we know at server side in apache that a GET or PUT request has
> been received and it was failed or successfull ? Can we get somehow the
> response code so that some script and/or tool at Server side can
> delete/archive the file which have been retrieved by the client in some
> specific folders?. Is there any industry standard for such file
> acknowledgement.

If it were me, I'd just write a CGI script to do this... as for how you
know for certain that the client received the entire response, that's a
bit tricky.  The http response code (even if it's 200 OK) doesn't tell you
what happened on the client end.  The client never sends an
acknowledgement response code.  Apache internally knows whether it
finished sending or not, but it's hard to get at that information except
by directly accessing the internal structures from a module.  Perhaps the
easiest way is to have the client request some other URL after it gets the
full document (javascript redirect?), and have that second URL be your
acknowledgement and trigger to delete the file.

--Cliff