Subject: unique cipher-text

From: Robert Lagana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:55:19 -0400

Hi,

Does anyone know why using the req -new option from the same private key,
twice does not generate a unique CSR?

As an example:

I have an existing private key. I then generate a CSR from it.

Openssl req -new -key privakey.key -out csr.txt

I then generate another CSR from the private key and use identical DN
information.

I can understand why the exponents and modules are the same.. because they
are using the same private key, however why does the cipher text look the
same? Isn't it suppose to be random?

I have trying to find the answer at http://www.openssl.org/docs/ but
cannot..

Basically, I'd like to know what is responsible for the cipher text output?
and can it be randomized each time without changing the DN levels.

Thanks,
R

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]