Subject: httpd doesn't start with own certificate

From: "Arnaud De Timmerman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:42:13 +0100

hi all,

i'm trying to launch an apache ssl server (thanks to "httpd start")
with  the pretty well known "ssl.crt/server.crt" file, the server starts with no
problem, so far so good

i've  made my own ca, then used this ca to sign a certificate request, giving me
a new certificate file (i use the appropriate key as well)

when  i try to launch the server with the new certificate and key files it justs
say nothing, but doesn't start, and the SSLLog file is created but still 0 sized
so i don't know what i'm doing wrong

my httpd.conf file contains

****************
SSLEngine on
SSLLog /var/log/httpd/ssl_engine.log
SSLLogLevel warn
SSLCertificateFile /path/to/newserver.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/newserver.key
****************

infos in my newserver.crt file are :

****************
Certificate:
    Data:
        Version: 3 (0x2)
        Serial Number: 73 (0x49)
        Signature Algorithm: md5WithRSAEncryption
        Issuer:      C=FR,      ST=root,      L=root,      O=root,      OU=root,
CN=root/Email=[email-masked]
        Validity
            Not Before: Feb 27 07:20:36 2002 GMT
            Not After : Oct 19 07:20:36 2026 GMT
        Subject:      C=FR,      ST=state,     L=local,     O=orga,     OU=unit,
CN=www.test.fr/Email=[email-masked]
        Subject Public Key Info:
            Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
            RSA Public Key: (1024 bit)
                Modulus (1024 bit):
                    00:b7:19:bc:a4:1d:41:9f:a1:4d:95:d8:f3:3a:11:
                    9d:c7:4d:81:29:36:1b:04:a4:f7:2d:c1:6b:ef:14:
                    2d:f4:81:54:7b:1d:91:04:ee:16:5e:1c:3c:1f:d1:
                    77:20:9d:41:f9:9e:ed:40:a1:df:11:69:35:e3:ad:
                    05:c7:28:3c:18:6b:2d:3a:1d:e0:36:8f:4d:a5:c4:
                    a6:be:77:25:df:75:fc:45:79:c2:6d:d7:e0:5b:5b:
                    65:17:3b:50:53:7d:c7:fc:e7:87:20:14:d2:27:93:
                    72:14:7e:82:d9:dc:b8:d6:87:b2:df:38:41:c8:74:
                    e2:43:26:09:ca:d5:ca:3b:e1
                Exponent: 65537 (0x10001)
        X509v3 extensions:
            X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
                email:[email-masked]
            Netscape Comment:
                Comment
            Netscape Cert Type:
                SSL Server
    Signature Algorithm: md5WithRSAEncryption
        69:f5:08:f1:bc:7c:d7:28:7a:bf:a7:2b:ca:56:d5:42:a9:3b:
        e4:53:b3:50:61:8b:c9:b1:93:a4:17:b1:6c:bf:73:60:db:eb:
        c4:f7:ec:5a:c5:b3:3c:6b:69:63:08:f7:04:f3:2f:4d:b1:91:
        02:dd:93:b1:8f:fc:77:fb:ce:cc:d8:15:26:89:fb:12:0c:fe:
        98:be:25:53:e0:f4:b0:12:82:2e:86:4f:86:82:a6:8f:c5:36:
        4b:e9:77:69:ea:e5:17:10:50:5a:f3:d3:15:72:03:e6:de:c9:
        47:b8:d7:e6:84:f6:e5:4a:c5:2b:46:9f:3e:33:da:a3:c5:04:
        90:32
Certificate purposes:
SSL client : No
SSL client CA : No
SSL server : Yes
SSL server CA : No
Netscape SSL server : Yes
Netscape SSL server CA : No
S/MIME signing : No
S/MIME signing CA : No
S/MIME encryption : No
S/MIME encryption CA : No
CRL signing : Yes
CRL signing CA : No
****************

please  tell  me  if something in the DN of the issuer or the subject, or in the
purposes  of  this  certificate  makes  that  it has no chance to be accepted by
apache

many thanks

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:05:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

r u using the same server key with generated certificate? also test the path where you placed (regenerated) certificate.

agd

> my httpd.conf file contains

----------------------------------------
  VandeMataram.com 2001-2002.