Subject: Performance tuning modssl/reverse proxy

From: Danny Kruitbosch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:02:34 +0200

Hi,

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to tune the performance of 
modssl in the folowing situation:

apache/modssl as a ssl reverse proxy   (browser ---> (https) ---> ssl 
reverse proxy ---> (http) ---> webserver/webappl.)
All will be running on Linux/Intel

I would like to know the following:

- which ssl accelerator cards are supported (by openssl/modssl) best in 
this setup
- are there any guidelines for calculating the amount of memory/cpu 
power etc
- what compile/config steps can we take to tune the system
- any prefered  Linux distro (Mandrake, RedHat, SuSe; we don't do any 
debian or slackware)
- Is Apache 2.0 a better option than 1.3.x
- Does anyone have some benchmark info on a system like this (we need to 
support about 2300 concurrent SSL sessions at any given moment)

Thanks,

Danny Kruitbosch

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]