Subject: apache ssl handshake timeout on ie6 and windows 2000

From: R McIntosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:42:01 -0500

Hello OpenSSL and ModSSL users,

I am running apache-1.3.29, mod_ssl-2.8.16-1.3.29, and openssl 0.9.7c.

Users at a specific lan on the internet accessing our cgi application 
sometimes lock at some random place in our application.   Once this 
happens, it will lock up again at the same page if the quit their 
browser and try again.  They are running a patched ie6 on windows 
2000.   We only have this problem with this one client's site.

Here is the error from my log file:

[Tue Dec 30 08:19:10 2003] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake timed out 
(client X.X.X.X, server www.partnersmith.com:443)

The ssl-engine log has no additional information.  

When the connection does work, it uses Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: RC4-MD5 
(128/128 bits)

I have the usual stuff for ie in my httpd.conf:

   SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

I have been researching this with no luck.   I have found hints of 
people having this problem with w2k in the archives but never any solution.

Thank you for your time.
-R
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Matt Stevenson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 04:20:22 -0800 (PST)

Not much help to you but I'm also seeing this. One
client can hang up 100 apache children. User agent is
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;
SD; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)". Lasts for around 2-4 minutes.
(server timeout at 30).

Matt

> User Support Mailing List                     

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: R McIntosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:26:08 -0500

I believe I have found the solution.   Apparently, it was a bug 
introduced in SP1 and now fixed in SP4 for windows 2000:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=305217

Thanks,
-R

R McIntosh wrote:

> When the connection does work, it uses Protocol: SSLv3, Cipher: 
> RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)
>

---

From: R McIntosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:26:08 -0500

Thanks,
-R

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                           [email-masked]