Subject: Re: Is anyone successfully runnin OWA2K behind Apache/mod_ssl?

From: Volker Borchert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:06:06 +0100

In message <[email-masked]> you write:

|> We're using Apache/mod_ssl to provide a reverse-proxy to some backend Web
|> servers, and want to add OWA2K to the list (that's Outlook Web Access for
|> Microsoft Exchange 2000).

|> Anyone else got any stories about this?

Two things:

1) For me, it seems to work with IE only if I explicitly disallow any
   authentication scheme but Basic. IE defaults to NTLM which doesn't
   seem to work across Apache reverse.

2) OWA inserts a "<base href="http://exchange.server.name/" /> HTML
   tag which means that you may have to play dirty tricks with DNS
   and/or nsswitch.conf to get it to work from the outside.

	vb
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Estrade Matthieu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:24:57 +0100

Hi,

I will try to explain what I found about owa and apache 1.3 reverse
proxy 

It's possible to reverse proxy owa with apache 1.3, but with owa
configured without ntlm.

1) The authentication process, is sending first a 401 to ask browser to
authenticate with a method, if this first method is not supported by the
browser, it's sending another 401 until browser and owa found the right
authentication method.

The apache 1.3 proxy is not supporting HTTP1.1 so, when it see the 401
coming back from owa, it close the connection btw RP and OWA, the client
is still connected. OWA will now try to send RP the next 401 and it's
impossible because the RP closed the connection.

If you disable in OWA the NTLM method, it will work. If you want to
handle NTLM, you have to try apache 2.0 which handle that really well.

2) 443 --> 80
I used to do that with apache 2.0 but I have few problem with base href,
so I do 443 --> 443 and it's working really well. The aim is to setup a
really low encryption btw RP and OWA to be more faster.

I will try to insert the header you speak about (front-end-https = on)
to see if it's working.

Hope you understood my bad English.

Regards,

Estrade Matthieu

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Volker Borchert
Envoyé : Thursday, November 07, 2002 10:06 AM
À : [email-masked]
Objet : Re: Is anyone successfully runnin OWA2K behind Apache/mod_ssl? 

|> We're using Apache/mod_ssl to provide a reverse-proxy to some backend
Web
|> servers, and want to add OWA2K to the list (that's Outlook Web Access
for
|> Microsoft Exchange 2000).

Two things:

	vb

__________________________________________________
Modem offert : 150,92 euros remboursés sur le Pack eXtense de Wanadoo ! 
Haut débit à partir de 30 euros/mois : http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/w

__________________________________________________
Modem offert : 150,92 euros remboursés sur le Pack eXtense de Wanadoo ! 
Haut débit à partir de 30 euros/mois : http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/w