Subject: OpenSSL: error:14094416: SSL routines: SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 aler t certificate unknow.

From: Lily Tian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:00:54 -0800

Hi,

I have Apache + SSL + Tomcat setup on Solaris 2.8 and try to run some 
tests. While I try to connect to server by using
   https://hostname:8443/crfs,  The connection is refused.
Here is the error message from ssl_engine_log on apache/logs.

[11/Mar/2002 10:42:21 28191] [error] SSL handshake failed (server
titan.xxxxx.com:8443, client 10.1.100.12) (OpenSSL library error follows)
[11/Mar/2002 10:42:21 28191] [error] OpenSSL: error:14094416:SSL
routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert certificate unknown

Any idea what goes wrong here?  

Thanks a lot in advance.
Lily

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then
you clearly don't understand the situation.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Burdick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:20:58 -0800 (PST)

[ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> Any idea what goes wrong here?  

i was seeing similar errors with apache 1.3.23 + mod_ssl-2.8.6.  they
went away after i switched to mod_ssl-2.8.7.

i only saw the errors when connecting with netscape/mozilla or IE clients.
openssl s_client mode and curl could retrieve the SSL page without problem.

i was using a test certificate signed by the snake oil CA that comes with
apache.

-brad
-- 
Brad Burdick      | [email-masked]
http://media.org/ | The medium is NOT the message
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]