Subject: make certificate TYPE=custom?

From: "mineka fujimoto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:06:19 +0900

Hello

I am a student to study Linux.
I want to use SSL in apache2.0.36
I stop apache 1.3 and tar apache2.0.36..     
I use RedHat Linux7.1 

I use ./configure --prefix=/usr/local_apache2 --enable-mods-shared="ssl"

 Then I use make certificate TYPE=custom.

But I get message 「no target to make      discontinuation」 

Please help me.

Thanks.

Micky

---

From: "Peter Viertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:51:46 +0100

make certificate does not work in apache 2 yet.

copy your key and certificate from the 1.3 installation

mineka fujimoto wrote:

> I wantto use SSL in apache2.0.36

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:29:58 -0400 (EDT)

> make certificate does not work in apache 2 yet.

IIRC, the official consensus on the httpd dev list was that will NOT
support make certificate in Apache 2.x at all, with the reasoning that
test certificates just tend to confuse people who don't know what they're
doing.  Granted, there is a documentation bug which still indicates that
make certificate is available.  There's a bug report about that and our
doc people will hopefully get around to fixing that soon.

I'm not saying I personally agree with the dropping of make certificate,
but it was the group's decision, not mine.  And I suppose I see the
reasoning.  All you need is a few commands from openssl to do the same
thing, and those are well-documented.

Just so you know.

--Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 20:37:44 -0400

Once upon a time Cliff Woolley shaped the electrons to say...
> support make certificate in Apache 2.x at all, with the reasoning that

That's incredibly lame.

> doing.  Granted, there is a documentation bug which still indicates that

So it penalizes people who know what they are doing by making things
more difficult...

> but it was the group's decision, not mine.  And I suppose I see the

Caving in to ignorance is rarely a good decision.

-MZ, CISSP #3762, RHCE #806199299900541
-- 
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 781-788-0130
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/>  <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]