Subject: More Apache 2.0.35 testing

From: Lynn Gazis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:50:42 -0700

I'm now getting unresolved externals when trying to build Apache 2.0.35 with
SSL enabled on Solaris 7, and would like, before I go farther in trying to
diagnose this particular problem (and the shared memory cache problem I am
having on HP UX), to ask a couple of general questions:

1) In testing Apache 2.0, should I be testing with the latest version of
OpenSSL 0.9.6 or with the latest pre-release version of OpenSSL 0.9.7?

2) Is there some option that I have not found which I should be using to
enable to engine code (right now I am doing so by modifying mod_ssl.h to
turn SSL_EXPERIMENTAL and SSL_ENGINE on)?

3) Should the shared memory cache be automatically included in Apache 2.0,
or should I be somehow including mm-1.1.3, as I have been doing with modssl?

4) Should I be reporting problems I run across in testing Apache 2.0 to a
different list from this one?

Lynn Gazis
Rainbow Technologies

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:04:49 -0400 (EDT)

> OpenSSL 0.9.6 or with the latest pre-release version of OpenSSL 0.9.7?

perhaps the most stable code will be either 0.9.6b or 0.9.6c, I can't
speak for 0.9.7.

> turn SSL_EXPERIMENTAL and SSL_ENGINE on)?

There are two versions of openssl source available, the engine version and
the non-engine version.  Both will work pretty much the same.  But, if you
ever intend upon using hardware encryption devices you will want the
engine version.

> or should I be somehow including mm-1.1.3, as I have been doing with modssl?

My understanding is that mm is not longer required.  So yes, its built in.

> different list from this one?

This list is at least one spot, I'm sure others here might recommend other
lists to x-post such problems to.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 23:22:02 +0200

> having on HP UX), to ask a couple of general questions:
Which of the shared memory cache versions? There was a fix checked into cvs
a day or two ago.

> OpenSSL 0.9.6 or with the latest pre-release version of OpenSSL 0.9.7?
I think 0.9.6c is your safest bet - but 0.9.7 might work too.

> turn SSL_EXPERIMENTAL and SSL_ENGINE on)?

The old way doesn't work?
> or should I be somehow including mm-1.1.3, as I have been doing with modssl?
Shared memory is now supported by apr which is included in apache.

> different list from this one?
This list should be fine - if you have confirmed bugs or patches, then the
bug tracking system at apache.org would be a nice place to dump a copy.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]