Subject: mass ip virtual host & mod_ssl?

From: Ray a PowerWeb Tech <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:40:06 -0600

is it possible using either mod_rewrite, mod_vhosts_alias or some trick in 
mod_ssl to have multiple virtual hosts by ip address and there keys

was thinking something like 
# get the server name from the Host: header
UseCanonicalName Off

# this log format can be split per-virtual-host based on the first field
LogFormat "%V %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b" vcommon
CustomLog logs/access_log vcommon

# include the server name in the filenames used to satisfy requests
VirtualDocumentRoot /www/hosts/%0/docs
VirtualScriptAlias  /www/hosts/%0/cgi-bin

as per 
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/mass.html#ipbased

but some of the domains have SSL, and it doesn't seem like this will cover it 
as is.  how do i setup a folder for keys that will be used?
ie /www/certs/%0.key
or does it automagicly pick the correct key for the ip/domain?

i'm hoping to get it so that by droping files into the correct places, our 
customer will be able to add/remove domains without having to have the 
ability to restart apache (as its on windows, he would need nearly total 
control of the machine to do this)

-- 
Eternity is a terrible thought.  I mean, where's it going to end?
		-- Tom Stoppard

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:37:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Ray a PowerWeb Tech wrote:

> but some of the domains have SSL, and it doesn't seem like this will
> cover it as is.  how do i setup a folder for keys that will be used? ie
> /www/certs/%0.key or does it automagicly pick the correct key for the
> ip/domain?
>
> i'm hoping to get it so that by droping files into the correct places,
> our customer will be able to add/remove domains without having to have
> the ability to restart apache (as its on windows, he would need nearly
> total control of the machine to do this)

Nope, sorry, you can't do that.  You have to have real virtual hosts set
up for each SSL vhost; mod_vhost_alias won't cut it.  That's not to
mention the fact that changing or adding SSL keys/certs requires
restarting Apache anyway to reinitialize OpenSSL.

--Cliff