Subject: RE: Problem Connecting via https Over Network and Internet - SOLVED - Firewall Issue

From: Alicianiah Cherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:38:49 -0400

Just goes to show my inexperience with Linux - issuing the ipchains -F 
input command cleared the firewall rules and now SSL connections work 
GREAT!  Thanks to you all for your time and many responses.  I will be 
quite busy today as I am moving a web app off a Win2K box and on to Linux - 
the SSL problem was the only thing holding me up.  Apache seems to handle 
SSL connections much faster than IIS.

Any help or suggestions you might offer in terms of advice on selecting a 
CA, as well as recommended upgrades for Apache or mod_ssl would be greatly 
appreciated. THANKS AGAIN!

Alicia Cherry
Systems Administrator
RiverStone Counseling

-----Original Message-----
From:	Maurizio Marini [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Monday, August 05, 2002 10:37 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Problem Connecting via https Over Network and Internet

> negating a firewall issue, I would think.

why do u thik this? have you tried to clear your firewall rules, before to 
say
this? if not, do it issuing as root: # ipchains -F input
by default RedHat 7.3 install ipchains
in any case, send us output of  ipchains -L -n (or the output of iptables 
-L
-n if u have configured iptables in your box)

-- maumar

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:11:27 -0400 (EDT)

You will not want to keep the machine without the firewall rules, as it
will be ow3d shortly if you do.  You need to findout how to make the
proper allow statements to open just that hole for the web ports open, 80
and 443.  Perhaps other rules to open ssh from only those sites you might
have to remotely access the system.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!