Subject: Multople VH with same certificate?

From: Santosh Deshpande <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:16:13 +0000

hi all,
  I would like to know whether a SSL certificate is issued to a specific
domain?
  Can I run have two vhosts configured with a single certificate
  e.g. www.mydomain.com  ( 213.x.x.x:443)
  and  sub.mydomain.com  ( 213.x.x.y:443)

regards,
Santosh

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:25:33 +0100

>   I would like to know whether a SSL certificate is issued to a specific

Yes - a normal certificate has the fully-qualified domain name in it. If
you use the cert on another site, the browser will trap it and pop up an
alert that the cert doesn't match the FQDN.

>   and  sub.mydomain.com  ( 213.x.x.y:443)

SSL doesn't care about the IP addresses. If you run two sites like this
with one cert, it will "work" - but the browser will throw up an alert
which might frighten off customers.

I've heard you can get a wildcard certificate which will match
*.mydomain.com - from Thwate, I think.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.