Subject: RE: RHL7.0 with openssl0.9.5a & 0.9.6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:31:52 +0100

Why did you forcibly install and upgrade the packages? Were there error
messages without it?

The ONLY time I'd ever forcibly install a package is if it was already
installed according to the RPM database but files were damaged. This is
because certain packages (eg openssl) cannot be removed and reinstalled
because of the number of dependencies on them.

Likewise, I'd never use no-deps without a really really good reason.

- 
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

If Charles Darwin knew a fraction of what scientists know today, he'd never
have written the Origin of the Species.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 07 June 2002 20:10
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RHL7.0 with openssl0.9.5a & 0.9.6
> 
> 
> I just upgraded my openssl and the sent a SIGHUP to httpd and 
> I got the 
> following error:
> 
> Syntax error on line 265 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libssl.so into server: symbol 
> __sysconf, 
> version GLIBC_2.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link 
> time reference
> 
> The system is running RHL7.0. Before upgrade everything was 
> working fine 
> (including SSL module). We had openssl-0.9.5a-14 installed.
> 
> Then for upgrade I performed the following:
> rpm -ivh --force openssl095a-0.9.5a-9.i386.rpm
> rpm -Uvh --force openssl-0.9.6-9.i386.rpm
> 
> (for your info: openssl095a is the same as openssl-0.9.5a 
> just different 
> names, they include the same files so you can have both 
> 0.9.5a and 0.9.6 
> installed at the same time. it's an RPM versioning issue)
> 
> So in the /usr/lib directory there is libssl.so.0 and 
> libssl.so.1 (this is 
> compatibility for other programs). But now on restart of 
> httpd I received the 
> following error.
> 
> Anybody have ideas?
> 
> Thanks,
> Ben
> ______________________________________________________________________
> Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
> Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
> 

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to
find out all about it.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:13:12 -0000

Well here's the situation. I need openssl 0.9.6 but I also need openssl 
0.9.5a. So RedHat came out with three packages:
openssl-0.9.6 (refered to as 0.9.6)
openssl-0.9.5a (refered to as 0.9.5a)
openssl095a-0.9.5a (refered to as openssl095a)

Since you can't install two of the same package, they created the third one 
so you can install both 0.9.6 and 0.9.5a. So in order for me to install 
openssl-0.9.6 i had to install openssl095a so that the 0.9.5a didn't get 
killed. But I had to forcibly install openssl095a since the files are owned 
by the 0.9.5a package. So now we have openssl095a installed as well as 0.9.5a 
which really doesn't make a big diff since they cover the same files. I then 
installed 0.9.6 as an upgrade to 0.9.5a and that installed fine. So now I 
have the libs for openssl 0.9.5a (openssl095a-0.9.5a-14) and openssl 0.9.6 
(openssl-0.9.6-9) installed and the the walls have come tumbling down.

so openssl 0.9.5a is never removed, i just installed openssl095a 0.9.5a and 
then openssl 0.9.6 ALTHO it may be the case that i should've upgraded to 
0.9.6 (forcibly) and then install openssl095a to cover my tracks. Anyhoo, I'm 
going to reinstall the original RPM and retry my procedures.

Ben

---

From: Nalin Dahyabhai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:18:30 -0400

> (openssl-0.9.6-9) installed and the the walls have come tumbling down.

Basically you have one library, and you want both installed when you're
done, but RPM complains when you try to upgrade one without the other,
either because you're installing a package contains a file you already
have (openssl095a) or you're upgrading to a package which will remove
a needed library (openssl, where the library version is changed).

The best way to do this is to just upgrade both at the same time:
  rpm -Uvh openssl095a* openssl-*

Dependencies don't break, and everything should keep working.

HTH,

Nalin