Subject: Httpd couldnot be started

From: "Bab S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:52:02 +0000

Hi

I am currently trying to set up SSL on a LINUX box running Apache Web
Server.

When I run apachectl startssl, it says `httpd could not be started`

here is what i get in the apache error_log after i do a apachectl startssl
******
[Wed Jan 30 16:54:48 2002] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Wed Jan 30 16:54:51 2002] [error] mod_ssl: Init: Unable to read server
certificate from file
/usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt<openssl library error follows>
[Wed Jan 3016:54:51 2002] [error] OpenSSL: error:0D09F007:asn1 encoding
routines:d2i_X509:expecting an asn1
sequence
*******

I am using port 443 for secure and port 80 for unsecure .I am doing for the 
first time so i dont know how can i resolve.

I appreciate any help you can send over. Thanks

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:05:01 -0500 (EST)

Did you create a cert when you went through the compile process?  Does
your httpd.conf point at it properly?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!