Subject: RE: make fails - no flex

From: "Petryczka, George" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:13:35 -0400

Cliff,
This was attempted with mod_ssl 2.8.8-1.3.24 and apache 1.3.24.  

Won't touching those files cause some component not to be built?
And thanks.
-george

-----Original Message-----
From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 4:37 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: make fails - no flex

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Petryczka, George wrote:

> My apache make fails with:
> Error: Cannot load flex.
>
> I never heard of flex.  Is this just a fancy lex?  Can i substitute lex
for

> flex in the makefile?  I'm on HPUX11.0.
> Else can i download flex from somewhere?

fast lex.  It's GNU's lex.  But you shouldn't need it.  In the mod_ssl
build directory, do the following:

touch ssl_expr_parse.c
touch ssl_expr_parse.h
touch ssl_expr_scan.h

And then it shouldn't try to use flex anymore.  What version of
mod_ssl and Apache is this, by the way?

--Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:25:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Won't touching those files cause some component not to be built?

Nope.  They're generated files distributed along with mod_ssl.  If somehow
their timestamps get to be older than the .y and .l files they came from,
the Makefile will want to regenerate them using flex and yacc.  But you
shouldn't need to regenerate them.  Touching them to update their
timestamps will harm nothing; the next time you run make, it will see that
the .c and .h files are up to date, but it will recognize that the
corresponding .o files are out of date and just compile the two files.
Done.

--Cliff