Subject: Connection hangs when using SSL

From: Ken Tune <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:02:43 -0000

I'm trying to get Apache up and running on WinNT, with SSL

I'm using 

Apache/1.3.19 (Win32) 
mod_ssl/2.8.3 
OpenSSL/0.9.6a 

My Apache config is as follows ...

SSLMutex sem
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
SSLSessionCache none

SSLLog logs/SSL.log
SSLLogLevel debug

<VirtualHost <MY_HOST>:443>
       	ServerName <MY_HOST>
	SSLEngine on
	SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXP56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL

	SSLCertificateFile D:/apache/ssl/my-server.cert
	SSLCertificateKeyFile D:/apache/ssl/my-server.key

	SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
             nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
             downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
    	CustomLog logs/ssl_request_log combined
</VirtualHost>

My problem is that when I issue https://<MY_HOST> through the browser the
browser simply hangs  - there's no response from apache.

If I try and connect to 443 directly using openssl I get

$ openssl s_client  -connect  <MY_HOST>:443 -state -debug
CONNECTED(00000003)
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
write to 0A01ED48 [0A01F788] (130 bytes => 130 (0x82))
0000 - 80 80 01 03 01 00 57 00-00 00 20 00 00 16 00 00   ......W... .....
0010 - 13 00 00 0a 07 00 c0 00-00 66 00 00 07 00 00 05   .........f......
0020 - 00 00 04 05 00 80 03 00-80 01 00 80 08 00 80 00   ................
0030 - 00 65 00 00 64 00 00 63-00 00 62 00 00 61 00 00   .e..d..c..b..a..
0040 - 60 00 00 15 00 00 12 00-00 09 06 00 40 00 00 14   `...........@...
0050 - 00 00 11 00 00 08 00 00-06 00 00 03 04 00 80 02   ................
0060 - 00 80 46 fe 76 0c 2a 63-8a 04 72 25 77 e3 3c 15   ..F.v.*c..r%w.<.
0070 - 22 77 46 a4 69 b9 20 85-03 7d 7b ad 85 b9 db ed   "wF.i. ..}{.....
0080 - b6 1c                                             ..
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A

... and nothing more.

I've tried using the -ssl2 and -ssl3 flags, but get the same result.

I've tried connecting using telnet and trying to speak http to the port and
that doesn't work so that's not the issue.

Furthermore, when I try and connect I get an entry in my ssl.log ...

[04/Feb/2002 17:01:01 00193] [info]  Connection to child 4 established
(server <MY_HOST>:443, client <MY_IP>)

Any suggestions gratefully received

Regards

Ken Tune

---

From: suchit mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:04:13 -0800 (PST)

Please refer to this tutorial. 

http://tud.at/programm/apache-ssl-win32-howto.php3

I got it working yesterday doing as it says. 

Try starting Apache as a service by typing
apache -i from command prompt and see if it throws any
error messages.

I had the same setup as yours.

Suchit
> 0080 - b6 1c                                        
>     ..

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
http://greetings.yahoo.com
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]