Subject: ErrorDocuments and SSLVerifyClient

From: Ron Ridley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:16:53 -0600

I have apache 1.22 w/ mod_ssl 2.8.5 running on NT from the contribs
directory on modssl.org.

I have the server configured to require a certificate through the
'SSLVerifyClient require' directive.  My users can get in fine, however
if they have no certificate or a revoked certificate, they get an IE
error page (Cannot find server or DNS error).

The apache and ssl error logs note that:
SSL handshake failed: HTTP spoken on HTTPS port; trying to send HTML
error page (OpenSSL library error follows)

This is done every time the user gets the error page.  I set up an Alias
to a directory containing custom error pages.  I also setup multiple
ErrorDocument directives to refer to the alias.  I can access the error
pages manually, but I am unsure on how to get them to show up when the
certificate prompt fails.

I have tried all of the IE related fixes in the FAQ (SetEnvIf, etc), and
I still have not been successful in getting the error messages to show
up.

Here is the catch to this:  My webserver can run on one port only(888) and
I have no VirtualHosts.  In my test environment I have set them up, but
I get a handshake renegotiation error instead of the http->https error.

Any ideas?
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]