Subject: How to run apache in https only ?

From: "Jay Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:58:16 -0600

I know this is a bit off-topic for this list, and I deserve all the 
flames I get... But I'm in a hurry, so here goes...

I want to run Apache so it responds only to https on port 443; http 
requests are to be simply ignored. I thought I knew how to do this, but 
then read something about using mod_rewrite which gave me a headache. 
Is there a simple how-to describing how to run your server so it 
responds only to https over port 443?

Thanks,
Jay
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:56:52 -0500 (EST)

> responds only to https over port 443?

Sure.  See the SSLRequireSSL directive.

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:17:25 -0500 (EST)

there are a couple of areas to check to see if your settings are correct
for this;

...
# BindAddress: You can support virtual hosts with this option. This
directive
# is used to tell the server which IP address to listen to. It can either
# contain "*", an IP address, or a fully qualified Internet domain name.
# See also the <VirtualHost> and Listen directives.
#
#BindAddress *
...
#
# Port: The port to which the standalone server listens. For
# ports < 1023, you will need httpd to be run as root initially.
#
Port 80
...
<for apache 2.0.xx, this might be in an ssl specifici configuration file
as the tendancy is once again for 'segmentation'>
##  SSL Support
##
##  When we also provide SSL we have to listen to the
##  standard HTTP port (see above) and to the HTTPS port
##
<IfDefine SSL>
Listen someplace.com:80
Listen someplace.com:443
</IfDefine>

port 80 references are http, port 443 references are https.  Edit these
settings as appropriate for your setup.  Providing those are properly set
and the cert<s> properly generated and available as stated in the configs,
then your systems should listen at the proper address/interface on the
appropriate port there for connections/services.  I believe bindaddress
has been depriciated for the listen directive.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!