Subject: HTTPS variable is missing

From: Alvaro Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:39:28 +0100

I have a Red Hat 9 server running Apache 2.0.40 + mod_ssl with several name
based virtual hosts. One of the sites works under http and https.
Apparently everything goes fine (browser claims page is encryped when
loading https and not encrypted when loading http) but I just can't find
the HTTPS environmental variable anywhere. It is there for main site
(https://<ip_address>) but not for my virtual host.

I have access to two other linux boxes (Red Hat 7.3 with Apache 1.x and a
Mandrake with Apache 2.x) and that same config works just fine: HTTPS=on
when using SSL (no matter the host) and I can also access the rest of SSL_*
variables if I add "SSLOptions +StdEnvVars" to config file (which doesn't
work either in the Red Hat 9 server). Of course there's probably a
difference somewhere (servers aren't identical) but I just can't find it. I
understand I can only use one certificate for one IP-port combination but I
don't mind browser warnings about that; as I said, that works fine in my
other linux boxes.

I've left most default options at "httpd.conf". I only added some virtual
hosts:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot /home/site/htdocs
        ServerName www.site.com
        ErrorLog logs/site.com_error_log
        CustomLog logs/site.com_access_log combined
        <Directory /home/site/htdocs>
                AllowOverride All
                Options FollowSymLinks
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
        DocumentRoot /home/site/htdocs
        ServerName www.site.com
        ErrorLog logs/site.com_error_log
        CustomLog logs/site.com_access_log combined
        <Directory /home/site/htdocs>
                AllowOverride All
                Options FollowSymLinks
        </Directory>
        <IfDefine HAVE_SSL>
                SSLEngine on
                SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/www.site.com.crt
                SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/www.site.com.key
        </IfDefine>
</VirtualHost>

Sorry if this has been asked before; I've done my best in Google, Google
Groups, modssl.org and list archives but I couldn't find anyone with the
same problem. Thank you in advance,

-- 
Álvaro González Vicario
Tele Computer, S.L.
Burgos (Spain) 

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:00:41 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alvaro Gonzalez [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 01 March 2004 09:39
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: HTTPS variable is missing
> 
> 
I'd suggest that you lose the "IfDefine" lines. If you are listening on port
443, it makes more sense to turn the SSLEngine "on" anyway and the
associated SSL certificate lines. There isn't a good reason I can think of
for not enabling SSL on port 443.

Also, check that you have the mod_ssl package installed with "rpm -q
mod_ssl". That will probably explain your woes.

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

Why do so many people who call themselves christians use the name of Jesus
Christ as a swear word?

- 
DISCLAIMER: 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended 
recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the 
content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the 
sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it 
and any attachments from your system. 

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by 
its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
We therefore recommend you scan all attachments. 

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and 
any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent 
those of RNIB. 

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227 

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk