Subject: mod_ssl & mod_proxy

From: "HMajidy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:49:53 -0800

This is to report a problem with Apache with mod_ssl and mod_proxy, and to
request the community’s help in resolving it.

Objective: The objective is to set up Apache as a reverse proxy, to receive
encrypted HTTPS traffic over the Internet and to convert it to HTTP and
direct it to a web server through a firewall.

Problem: Apache seems to be redirecting traffic to the virtual hosts on the
local filesystem correctly, but mod_proxy does not seem to send requests to
remote URL (as specified by ProxyRemote directive below). SSL does display
correct certificate from requesting browser.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken: Experimenting with the target URL (IP and
hosname) and various proxy directives (ie ProxyPassReverse, ProxyPass) I
have not been able to establish that proxy is doing anything at all.

Apache has been recompiled with mod_ssl and mod_proxy as DSOs as well as
statically linked in modules.

Here’s the system configuration:

Linux version 2.2.16-22smp

gcc version egcs-2.91.66

Server version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)

Compiled-in modules:

  http_core.c

  mod_env.c

  mod_log_config.c

  mod_mime.c

  mod_negotiation.c

  mod_status.c

  mod_include.c

  mod_autoindex.c

  mod_dir.c

  mod_cgi.c

  mod_asis.c

  mod_imap.c

  mod_actions.c

  mod_userdir.c

  mod_alias.c

  mod_access.c

  mod_auth.c

  mod_proxy.c

  mod_setenvif.c

  mod_ssl.c

OpenSSL 0.9.6g 9 August 2002

httpd.conf

AddModule mod_proxy.c

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>

    ProxyRequests off

    NoCache *

    AllowCONNECT 443,80

    <Directory />

        Order Allow,Deny

        Allow from All

    </Directory>

ProxyRemote * http://1.2.3.4:85

</IfModule>

NameVirtualHost *

Listen *:443

<VirtualHost _default_:443>

        SSLEngine on

        ServerName www.mydomain.com

        DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs

        ErrorLog logs/443-error_log

</VirtualHost>

Listen *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>

    ServerAdmin [email-masked]

    DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/www

    ServerName www1.mydomain.com

    ErrorLog logs/80-error_log

</VirtualHost>

Can anyone see a conflict or omission in this configuration? Does anyone
have these two modules working together in a reverse proxy scenario? Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Hamid.