Subject: RE: MSIE + "The page cannot be displayed" error

From: "Kuczborski, Carol L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:37:52 -0500

I had the problem with most all versions of IE (5.0, 5.5, and 6.0), but not
Netscape (4.75, 4.76, and 6).  I received the "Page cannot be displayed" and
"Cannot find server or DNS error" messages.  I was running Apache and
mod_ssl as packaged with the Oracle9i Application Server (1.0.2.2) on a
Windows NT 4.0 platform.

I did not completely eliminate the errors, but reduced them quite
significantly by making the following changes:

1.  Modified httpd.conf as follows:

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" ssl-unclean-shutdown

2. Oracle Worldwide Support patched the ApacheModuleSSL.dll file.  The patch
to ApacheModuleSSL.dll implements a workaround in the code for reading from
a socket for WIN32.  According to the details for the ApacheModuleSSL.dll
patch, there was mention of a bug in the "select" function in Windows NT
4.0:

"When checking a socket, if data can be read without blocking, select ()
returns yes, but when actually reading from the socket with recv(), that
function returns WSAEWOULDBLOCK, which says that reading would block.  It
seems that this problem does not occur in usual operation, but only in an
SSL enabled Apache (modssl or apache-ssl) with https.  The code for WIN32,
which handles writing to a socket, already contains a workaround for this.
The code for reading from a socket did not have a workaround."

Basically, they added a retry loop so that if a read from the socket failed,
it tried the read again. 

Carol Kuczborski
EDS - Enabling Business Solutions
MS A6N-B47
13600 EDS Drive
Herndon, VA 20171

* phone: +01-703-742-1025 (8-432)
* mailto:[email-masked]
www.eds.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian C. Dunn [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 11:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: MSIE + "The page cannot be displayed" error

I am wondering if someone is keeping a list of working versus non-working
versions of IE, and if not, whether one could be started. I am running into
this issue as well, and my support department keeps harrassing me to come up
with better solutions to tell the users other than "Use Netscape".

Thank you Christopher for providing a non-working version number; does
anyone
know of a version # of IE which does work reliably?

- Julian

On 18-Jan-2002 Christopher Taranto wrote:

<snip>

> Fortunately (for my sanity), I have one of non-working versions of the
MSIE 
> browsers (5.00.2614.3500) on one of the machines in my office so I can 
> repeatedly create the errors.

<snip>

-- 
Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc.   <[email-masked]>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter St., Suite 700, Toronto, ON
Tel: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959

istream >> ostream >> "We all scream for ice cream";
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]