Subject: SSL23_WRITE:ssl handshake failure

From: "Jeroen Wilms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:07:13 -0800

I have just configured OpenSSL 0.9.5a for Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) and modssl 2.6.4. The server works fine for HTTP communication but I cannot establish a connection to the HTTPS port. I used the openssl s_client utility to trace the connection and attached the results below.

My question is how do I track down the cause of this problem ? 

Regards,
Jeroen

I run the following command:

openssl s_client -connect myhostname:7443 -state -debug

and receive the following output:

CONNECTED(00000003)
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
write to 2006BB28 [2006BB98] (112 bytes => 112 (0x70))
0000 - 80 6e 01 03 01 00 45 00-00 00 20 00 00 16 00 00   .n....E... .....
0010 - 13 00 00 0a 07 00 c0 00-00 66 00 00 05 00 00 04   .........f......
0020 - 01 00 80 08 00 80 00 00-65 00 00 64 00 00 63 00   ........e..d..c.
0030 - 00 62 00 00 60 00 00 15-00 00 12 00 00 09 06 00   .b..`...........
0040 - 40 00 00 14 00 00 11 00-00 08 00 00 03 02 00 80   @...............
0050 - a4 4b 41 ee 82 78 39 4e-22 72 89 24 c7 48 93 96   .KA..x9N"r.$.H..
0060 - 3f 7a 00 2e 6f 30 99 8f-99 6a 17 4d ed cc d0 b1   ?z..o0...j.M....
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
read from 2006BB28 [200710F8] (7 bytes => 0 (0x0))
23498:error:140790E5:SSL routines:SSL23_WRITE:ssl handshake failure:s23_lib.c:21
6:

I note that the line starting with "read from 2006BB28..." appears to me to attempt to read 7 bytes, but the data returned is 0 bytes. This then leads to the error message stating an ssl handshake failure.

__________________________________________________________
Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus&ref=lmtplus
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]