Subject: searching for Windows NT binary of Apache 2.0.35 with mod_ssl

From: [email-masked] (Johannes Artur Bertscheit)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:36:56 +0200

Hi all,

has anyone out there successfully build a Apache 2.0.35 with mod_ssl
openssl for windows NT?
please give me a URL for such a binary.

Currently there is only a non-ssl-version:
         apache_2.0.35-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
         http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/#stable
         This version is only available at present in a -no_ssl flavor,
due to
        ongoing questions of strong crypto restrictions.
         (??? sources are available - but the binary not ???)

and I tried to compile the soruces with Visual C++ 6.0 without success
(strange compilation errors occured).

Before I try further to compile the stuff by my own - maybe someone was
already successful?

Thanks in advance!

Johannes

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Lietzow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:45:37 -0500

Johannes,
RE:>>Before I try further to compile the stuff by my own ...
RE:>>Currently there is only a non-ssl-version:
>          (??? sources are available - but the binary not ???) already
successful?

Can't tell you much about a binary for NT.  That's probably quite low on the
marketing development list as there are not too many
Apaches running on NT.  (Please point me to marketing data, should I be
incorrect in this statement).  I'm surprised they invest any time at all,
let alone developing a binary.

I do know that it compiled quite nicely on SuSE 7.3 Linux with only two
tries.  I have pulled a little hair out in the past, with some lower level
versions, but IMO, the new 2.0.35 is very easy to install with mod_ssl
enabled, on a platform where it will plug-n-play.    So, if  you get tired
with Win NT, for about 80-160 bucks you can come back from the dark side...

The porters can help you, because they are very patient souls who want to
see the market expand for Apache and mod_ssl.  However, I'm unable to do
more than to point you to a solution that I know works well, right out of
the tarball...

I wish you well.

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

> (strange compilation errors occured).

Which errors?  You do realize that you need sed installed to compile it,
right?  See http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html for tips.

--Cliff

---

From: [email-masked] (Johannes Artur Bertscheit)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:01:26 +0200

Andrew Lietzow wrote:

>Apaches running on NT.  
Apache 2.0 is annouced to work on windows NT - including SSL:

"This version of Apache is known to work on ... Windows....
 the initial release of Apache is expected to perform equally well on 
all supported platforms."

http://searchwebmanagement.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid27_gci817631,00.html
"Apache 2.0 - A threat to Microsoft's IIS?
By Karen Guglielmo, site editor - 17 Apr 2002, SearchWebManagement
Experts agree that one of the biggest improvements to the latest release 
of Apache 2.0 is its compatibility with Windows"
"The GA version of Apache 2. 0 [running on Windows] is equal in 
performance to IIS running on Windows. The performance wasn't there 
before. It wasn't an intuitive interface to use Apache on Windows."
"Another visible improvement to Apache 2.0 is its SSL support. With 
version 1.3, getting SSL support was very difficult. However, with 2.0, 
it's included, right out of the box. "

>(Please point me to marketing data, should I be
Please look
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/sdata/200203/index.html
there you can see (for https-servers):
Apache has 53.33%
Microsoft has 29.89%
So I think almost 30% with hosts running windows is a not so tiny market 
for a apache running on windows.

>with Win NT, for about 80-160 bucks you can come back from the dark side...
I have no choice - I must use windows NT - because of the customer / the 
project.

I would appreciate to work on LINUX but I CAN NOT !

>see the market expand for Apache and mod_ssl.  
>
So maybe one of the windows porters has available one binary of the 
stuff they ported?

Johannes

---

From: "Dwayne Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:30:29 -0400

There was a problem with the SSL code released with 2.0.35.  I'd wait 
for 2.0.36 as it has been fixed there.  I believe also that someone was 
testing the Windows Installer setup for 2.0.x.  Maybe on the next round, 
SSL will be installed and you can configure them post installation...

Johannes Artur Bertscheit wrote:

> *"Apache 2.0 - A threat to Microsoft's IIS?*
> By *Karen Guglielmo, site editor - 17 Apr 2002, **SearchWebManagement*
> Experts agree that one of the biggest improvements to the latest 
> release of Apache 2.0 is its compatibility with Windows"
> version 1.3, getting SSL support was very difficult. However, with 
> 2.0, it's included, right out of the box. "
>
>
> So I think almost 30% with hosts running windows is a not so tiny 
> market for a apache running on windows.
>
> I have no choice - I must use windows NT - because of the customer / 
> the project.
>