Subject: Apache 2.x SSL failing -- "no listening sockets available, shutting down"

From: "John van V." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:46:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello, I have attempted several times on 2 platforms to install and run Apache
SSL. Linux PPC and Linux Redhat8.0

This is the build source -- httpd-2.0.44.tar.gz

I followed various ./configuration options and here are the last tried:

configured by ./configure, generated by GNU Autoconf 2.54,
  with options \"'from config.status : '--prefix=/opt/apache'
'--enable-mods-shared=most' '--enable-ssl=shared'\"

I started apache on port 443, normal style.  Infact, if failed as soon as I
added 

I wondered, of course, if some mod_ssl package is requried in the mod
structure,  but found no documentation for Apache 2.x to that effect anywhere I
looked.

== Errors ==
../bin/apachectl start  
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
============

I asked on the generic apache users list, no answer.

I am actually getting pretty concerned.  This is a secure server, it doesn't
work and nobody seems to care.  Many, many operations depend on this.

=====
CXN, Inc. Contact: [email-masked]
President, The Linux Society
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-society
linux society distro -> http://www.thinman.com/eLSD/readme
ThinMan is a registered trademark of CXN, Inc

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Web Hosting - establish your business online
http://webhosting.yahoo.com
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Daniel Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:35:35 -0800

> Hello, I have attempted several times on 2 platforms to install and run
Apache  > SSL. Linux PPC and Linux Redhat8.0
[...]
> structure,  but found no documentation for Apache 2.x to that effect anywhere I

Take a look at 
http://www.apacheworld.org/ty24/, in the secure server chapter for detailed
instructions on how to get Apache 2 working with SSL

Cheers

Daniel