Subject: getting close with apache2, ssl, solaris 8

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:37:08 -0700

I am getting the key values mismatch error which seems like it should be pretty basic in that they don't match just like it says. However, I remade the CA, cert request, and signed it using the CA.sh -newca, CA.sh -newreq, and CA.sh -sign  which created the cakey.pem and the newcert.pem. I pointed the Server Private Key directive at the cakey.pem and the Server Certificate directive at the newcert.pem  but still get the mismatch error. I searched the archives for this rookie mistake but can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Point me in the right direction, please. Thank you everyone for all of the help in getting this far. Sign me...

Close but no cigar.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Peter Viertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:00:23 +0100

I think your confusion is in using the cakey when in fact you should use 
the key that you made the cert request from for the Server Private key 
directive....

eg: if you used the following two invocations of  openssl....

openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr

...then however you get a cert from the csr...(use CA.sh or pay a real 
CA, or sign.sh) . and the cert gets saved as server.crt

then the Apache conf would be:

        SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl.key/server.key
        SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

if I'm not making any sense, then see if the Modssl FAQ is better for 
you : http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#cert-real