Subject: RE: new rpm for apache-mod_ssl?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:09:03 -0000

I've attached the email notification from Red Hat about the latest rpm for
mod_ssl (I did this in Outlook, so probably no-one else can read it).

Unless you are running client certificates, there's no rush to put this on
your system.

- 
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute for the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

Evolution - A crutch for scientists who can't handle the existence of the
creator. See  "disproven scientific theories" and Romans 1:22.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Rick Goyette [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 07 March 2002 16:02
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: new rpm for apache-mod_ssl?
>
>
>I am running apache-mod_ssl-1.3.20.2.8.4-2, and I like it very 
>much.  It
>is a complete package of apache and ssl, and, as it was packaged into a
>RedHat rpm,  was easy to install.  However, the recent 
>security advisory
>concerning the buffer overflow in mod_ssl  (appended below) 
>demonstrates
>my need for an update.  I am unable to locate an rpm which 
>corrects this
>problem.   Is there another way to correct this, short of uninstalling
>apache-mod_ssl and then installing apache-1.3.23 and
>mod_ssl-2.8.7-1.3.23 serarately?
>
>                             INFORMATION BULLETIN
>            mod_ssl and Apache_SSL Modules Contain a Buffer Overflow
>                      [CERT Vulnerability Note VU#234971]
>March 6, 2002 00:00 GMT                                        
>   Number
>M-053
>_______________________________________________________________
>_____________
>
>__
>PROBLEM:       There is a remotely exploitable buffer overflow in two
>modules
>                               that implement the Secure Sockets Layer
>(SSL) and Transport
>                               Layer Security (TLS) protocol.
>PLATFORM:      mod_ssl in all versions prior to 2.8.7-1.3.23.
>                                  Apache-SSL in all version prior to
>1.3.22+1.4.6.
>DAMAGE:        An attacker may be able to execute arbitrary code on the
>                                system with the privileges of the ssl
>module.
>SOLUTION:      Upgrade to mod_ssl 2.8.7 or Apache_SSL 1.3.22+1.46, or
>apply
>                               the patch provided by your vendor.
>_______________________________________________________________
>_____________
>
>__
>VULNERABILITY  The risk is MEDIUM. To exploit the overflow, the server
>must be
>ASSESSMENT:    configured to allow client certificates, and an attacker
>must
>               obtain a carefully crafted client certificate that has
>been
>               signed by a Certificate Authority (CA) which is trusted
>by the server.
>
>--
>R. J. Goyette
>Argonne National Laboratory
>[email-masked]
>
>http://www.pns.anl.gov
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
>

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to
find out all about it.

Subject: [RHSA-2002:041-08] Updated mod_ssl packages available
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 00:39:00 -0000

---------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Red Hat, Inc. Red Hat Security Advisory

Synopsis:          Updated mod_ssl packages available
Advisory ID:       RHSA-2002:041-08
Issue date:        2002-03-01
Updated on:        2002-03-06
Product:           Red Hat Linux
Keywords:          mod_ssl buffer overflow session cache
Cross references:  RHSA-2002:042
Obsoletes:         RHSA-2001:126
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Topic:

Updated mod_ssl packages for Red Hat Linux 7, 7.1, and
7.2 are available which close a buffer overflow in mod_ssl.

2. Relevant releases/architectures:

Red Hat Linux 7.0 - alpha, i386

Red Hat Linux 7.1 - alpha, i386, ia64

Red Hat Linux 7.2 - i386, ia64

3. Problem description:

When session caching is enabled, mod_ssl will serialize SSL session
variables to store them for later use.  Unpatched versions of mod_ssl prior
to version 2.8.7 which use the 'shm' or 'dbm' session caches would store
session variables using a buffer with a fixed size, making it vulnerable to
overflow.

To exploit the overflow, the server must be configured to require client
certificates, and an attacker must obtain a carefully crafted client
certificate that has been signed by a Certificate Authority which is
trusted by the server. If these conditions are met, it would be possible
for an attacker to execute arbitrary code on the server.

Red Hat Linux 6.2 and earlier releases which did not include the mod_ssl
package are not vulnerable to this bug.  Users who utilize client
certificate authentication are strongly advised to upgrade or switch to
shared memory session cache, shmcb, which is not vulnerable to this issue.

The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2002-0082 to this issue.

4. Solution:

Before applying this update, make sure to apply all previously released
errata relevant to your system.

To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:

rpm -Fvh [filenames]

where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade.  Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated.  Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated.  Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains
the desired RPMs.

Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network.  Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates.  To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:

up2date

This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.

After applying these updates, you will need to restart an active server by 
performing the following:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart 

This step must be performed manually to keep SSL-capable servers from
stalling when the server's key is password-protected.

5. Bug IDs fixed (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla for more info):

6. RPMs required:

Red Hat Linux 7.0:

SRPMS:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.0/en/os/SRPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.src.rpm

alpha:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.0/en/os/alpha/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.alpha.rpm

i386:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.0/en/os/i386/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.i386.rpm

Red Hat Linux 7.1:

SRPMS:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/SRPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.src.rpm

alpha:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/alpha/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.alpha.rpm

i386:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/i386/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.i386.rpm

ia64:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/ia64/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.ia64.rpm

Red Hat Linux 7.2:

SRPMS:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/SRPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.src.rpm

i386:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/i386/mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.i386.rpm

ia64:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/ia64/mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.ia64.rpm

7. Verification:

MD5 sum                          Package Name
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
c48b531b44f2e1b24cd7135a0abeac56 7.0/en/os/SRPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.src.rpm
cf0f60da9b3552aa3d25a7b758164b24 7.0/en/os/alpha/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.alpha.rpm
e823561b43670240862e7038293222c7 7.0/en/os/i386/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.i386.rpm
c48b531b44f2e1b24cd7135a0abeac56 7.1/en/os/SRPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.src.rpm
cf0f60da9b3552aa3d25a7b758164b24 7.1/en/os/alpha/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.alpha.rpm
e823561b43670240862e7038293222c7 7.1/en/os/i386/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.i386.rpm
547de3f8522fb0af6ea2d082de648c7c 7.1/en/os/ia64/mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.ia64.rpm
608249d2e6edecb929e679129e41a1c5 7.2/en/os/SRPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.src.rpm
b7c91618cfb9110ce1ad620b9df05ab7 7.2/en/os/i386/mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.i386.rpm
1a8fc12f84ed55561a305d47269d312f 7.2/en/os/ia64/mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.ia64.rpm

These packages are GPG signed by Red Hat, Inc. for security.  Our key
is available at:
    http://www.redhat.com/about/contact/pgpkey.html

You can verify each package with the following command:
    rpm --checksig  <filename>

If you only wish to verify that each package has not been corrupted or
tampered with, examine only the md5sum with the following command:
    rpm --checksig --nogpg <filename>

8. References:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0082
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&m=101449247201254
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/258646

Copyright(c) 2000, 2001, 2002 Red Hat, Inc.

_______________________________________________
Redhat-watch-list mailing list
To unsubscribe, visit:
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-watch-list