Subject: CRL updating with mod_ssl

From: Roberto Hoyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:56:13 -0400

I'm trying to understand when a CRL list gets read by Apache.  I have 
cases of it being read when a new CRL is placed in the directory and 
the "make" is run, and cases when it does not get read under identical 
circumstances.

The only reliable way that I have to make sure that the CRL gets 
updated is by restarting the server.

Is this supposed to be the case?  I'm confused that it works sometimes 
and doesn't work on others.

Right now, I'm running 1.3.19 with mod_ssl 2.8.1 (yes, I know that they 
are old, but I am not able to update them for support reasons...).  We 
have the SSLCARevocationPath directive set to the proper location, and 
a script that downloads a new CRL every evening and runs the make.  The 
script does not kick the server.  Our CRLs expire in seven days, but 
get published every evening.

Should I just stop worrying and learn to love restarting Apache?

Thanks,

r.
--
Roberto Hoyle
PKI Lab Programmer
Dartmouth College

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Paris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:07:30 -0400

Your actual message issue notwithstanding, the versions you're running are
not just old, they've got security flaws and vulnerabilities well documented
at both CERT, apache.org, and openssl.org.

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-27.html  (Linux, Apache, OpenSSL,
mod_ssl)
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-23.html  (OpenSSL)
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-17.html  (Apache)

If you've got support preventing *you* from upgrading, *DEMAND* they be
updated to reduce your security risks, vulnerability, and liability.  If
your support contract won't do that, you don't have support and you should
upgrade to current anyway.

Respectfully,
-dsp

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Roberto Hoyle
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 1:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CRL updating with mod_ssl

Thanks,

r.
--
Roberto Hoyle
PKI Lab Programmer
Dartmouth College