Subject: Rebuilded openssl on FreeBSD, apache+modssl ceased to work

From: Alex Povolotsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:09:59 +0400

Hello!

I've updated openssl to 0.9.7a on FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE, and apache+mod_ssl ceased to work.

I've made sure that only one version of libssl exists in system, and recompiled apache.

Without any apparent error, lynx fails saying

Looking up techno.sub.ru
Making HTTPS connection to techno.sub.ru
Secure 168-bit TLSv1/SSLv3 (EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA) HTTP connection
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `https://techno.sub.ru/cgi-bin/client'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

The same does curl:

-curl: (56) SSL read error: 1

Here is what I have in ssl_engine_log:

[28/Apr/2003 23:13:55 75194] [error] SSL error on reading data (OpenSSL library error follows)
[28/Apr/2003 23:13:55 75194] [error] OpenSSL: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

What library could I miss? Or maybe it's something in header? 

- 
Alex.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

You have to rebuild apache after you do openssl, afterall, part of
apache's config process prior to the gawdalmighty make is dependent upon
the config of openssl, at least when one enables mod-ssl...

So, you are partway there, and depending upon what version of apache
<1.3.x or 2.0.x> you will need to redo yer config setup for modssl as
well.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!