Subject: Certificate Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 03:26:23 GMT

All, 

I am new and am wondering the following: 

I have installed openssl. Do I need to buy a cert from verisign/thawte,etc.. 
or can I generate a "free" one using the openssl engine? 

thx
Keven E. Jones
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:55:57 +0200

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 03:26:23AM +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> I have installed openssl. Do I need to buy a cert from 
> verisign/thawte,etc.. or can I generate a "free" one using the openssl 
> engine? 

Wether you need a "real" certificate or not depends on what you want to
use it for - see also http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#cert-dummy

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]