Subject: RE: freebsd SSLCryptoDevice

From: "Noel O'Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:16:51 +0100

Rob,

I will send you offline instructions for installing our card on Apache
2.0.39. If anyone else has similiar problems contact me directly

regards,

Noel O'Kelly
Product support engineer
Aep ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert McMonigal [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 08 July 2002 20:39
To: [email-masked]
Subject: freebsd SSLCryptoDevice

I have been trying to get an aep hardware acclerator to work under
apache 
2.0.39.  Everything installs fine and it runs fine with SSLCryptoDevice 
builtin.  But if I change builtin to aep and try to start it, it appears
to 
start mormally (no error messages from the console) but in the error log
I 
get "Init: Failed to enable Crypto Device API `aep'" I know the card is 
working because I can do openssl speed rsa1024 -engine aep and the CPU
time 
is less then a second for ten seconds of computations.  I have tried
this on 
redhat 7.3 and it works.  So I was wondering if apache 2 compiles 
differently on freebsd then redhat.  Any ideas on what is going wrong
would 
be greatly appreciated.

I run the following command for the configure

CFLAGS="-DSSL_EXPERIMENTAL -DSSL_ENGINE" ./configure 
--prefix=/usr/local/httpd --enable-ssl 
--with-ssl=/usr/local/src/openssl-engine-0.9.6d

Thanks,

Rob

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Noel O'Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:25:38 +0100

Hi Rob,
Michelle Comyns recently tested our card using Apache 2.0 and
subsequently sent the attached to another customer. The tests were on
Linux rather that Freebsd but should be of assistance. Try these out and
let me know how you get on.

Regards,
Noel O'Kelly

Attached are the results of our Apache 2.0 testing. 
These were carried out using Apache 2.0.36/ Red Hat Linux 7.2 on a Dual
1.26Ghz server with an AEP2000L card.

There are a few differences in the installation for Apache 2.0.
There is no longer a need to install mod_ssl as a seperate package
(features have been integrated into Apache)

The installation process is a s follows:

>From the directory where you unzipped the tar file -
CFLAGS="DSSL_EXPERIMENTAL -DSSL_ENGINE" ./configure --enable-ssl
--with-ssl=/usr/local --enable-shared-mods="ssl"
make 
make install

This will install Apache 2.0 to /usr/local/apache2/   
This assumes that you have an AEP aware OpenSSL installed to /usr/local
(I used OpenSSL-engine-0.9.6d)

The line 'SSLCryptoDevice aep' should be added to the file
/usr/local/apache2/conf/ssl.conf
(All of the SSL configuration options have been taken from the http.conf
and are now in a new ssl.conf file)

Note: There is no longer an option to create a test certificate in
Apache 2.0 so you will need to copy a test certificate from
an older version of Apache in order to test the installation.

The performance tuning is similar to previous versions of Apache.

Apologies for the delay in sending these figures. If you have any
further questions don't hesitate to contact me.

regards,

Michelle Comyns
Product Support Engineer
AEP Systems,
Bray Business Park,
Southern Cross Route,
Bray,
Co. Wicklow.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert McMonigal [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 08 July 2002 20:39
To: [email-masked]
Subject: freebsd SSLCryptoDevice

Thanks,

Rob