Subject: RE: Problem with File-Upload>20k

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:44:32 -0000

This kind of error is often seen where there is a conflict between the
built-in version of openssl and the version you have compiled.

Redhat 7.0,7.1 and 7.2 all come with openssl. Currently they are all older
versions than what you can compile from source, and so are the version of
apache and mod_ssl that they supply. 

Can you check what you get if you type

rpm -q apache
rpm -q mod_ssl

These are the built-in packages, which may also conflict with what you have
compiled. Unlike openssl, you will be able to remove these packages,
although you may have to remove other packages also. In the case of openssl,
ensure you don't overwrite the built-in one in /usr/bin. Use /usr/local/bin
instead. If you have, use

rpm -ivh "openssl-package-name" --force

To forcibly reinstall the built-in package.

Incidentally, I'm currently writing a submission for the openssl FAQ because
this comes up so often.

- 
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute for the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

Evolution - A crutch for scientists who can't handle the existence of the
creator. See  "disproven scientific theories" and Romans 1:22.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Metz [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 01 March 2002 13:21
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Problem with File-Upload>20k
>
>
>Hi there,
>
>i'm running a SSL enabled WebServer since nearly 1 month. Today I 
>wanted to make an http-file-upload (~20k) an received the following 
>error in my error_log:
>[Fri Mar  1 11:26:41 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL error on reading data 
>(OpenSSL library error follows)
>[Fri Mar  1 11:26:41 2002] [error] OpenSSL: error:1408F10B:SSL 
>routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number
>
>After that I updated my openssl-Version (which was from Dec 2000) to 
>the current release "OpenSSL 0.9.6c [engine] 21 dec 2001" and 
>recompiled my apache 1.3.23 mit mod_ssl 2.8.7-1.3.23. With no other 
>result.
>Normal connections seem to work fine (Opera says "High Encryption TLS 
>v1.0 128 bit C4 (1024 bit RSA/SHA) but File-Uploads fail when they 
>are larger than about 20k. Smaller files work fine .... I'm running 
>on RedHat 7.1
>
>Can anyone give me a solution for this problem?
>
>MfG
> Michael
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
>

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to
find out all about it.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Michael Metz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:18:46 +0100

Hi John,

I have reinstalled openssl 0.9.6 (Sep 2000) which was shipped with RedHat 
7.1 but with no effect. I'm receiving the same error.
apache and/or mod_ssl isn't installed via RPM (checked)

I compiled apache/mod_ssl with the following arguments:
(I'm using constants for Version-Numbers ....)

cd mod_ssl-$MODSSLVERSION
./configure --with-apache=../apache_$APACHEVERSION
cd ../apache_$APACHEVERSION
CFLAGS="-Wall -DSECURITY_HOLE_PASS_AUTHORIZATION"
SSL_BASE="/usr/local/ssl/"
export CFLAGS SSL_BASE
./configure --with-layout=RedHat --enable-module=vhost_alias --enable-
module=so --enable-module=rewrite --enable-module=log_referer --enable-
module=ssl --enable-module=info --add-module=../mod_gzip.c --server-
uid=wwwrun --server-gid=www

Could there be the problem?

Thanks in advance ...

Bye
  Michael

Am 1 Mar 2002 14:44 schrieb [email-masked]:
> Redhat 7.0,7.1 and 7.2 all come with openssl. Currently they are all
> older versions than what you can compile from source, and so are the
> version of apache and mod_ssl that they supply. 
> 
> These are the built-in packages, which may also conflict with what you
> have compiled. Unlike openssl, you will be able to remove these
> packages, although you may have to remove other packages also. In the
> case of openssl, ensure you don't overwrite the built-in one in
> /usr/bin. Use /usr/local/bin instead. If you have, use
> 
> Incidentally, I'm currently writing a submission for the openssl FAQ
> because this comes up so often.
> 
> - 
> John Airey
> Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute for
> the Blind, Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU, Tel.: +44 (0) 1733
> 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 
> 
> Evolution - A crutch for scientists who can't handle the existence of
> the creator. See  "disproven scientific theories" and Romans 1:22.
> 
> 
> >error in my error_log: [Fri Mar  1 11:26:41 2002] [error] mod_ssl:
> >SSL error on reading data (OpenSSL library error follows) [Fri Mar  1
> >11:26:41 2002] [error] OpenSSL: error:1408F10B:SSL
> >result. Normal connections seem to work fine (Opera says "High
> >Encryption TLS v1.0 128 bit C4 (1024 bit RSA/SHA) but File-Uploads
> >fail when they are larger than about 20k. Smaller files work fine
> >.... I'm running on RedHat 7.1
> >
> >_____________________________________________________________________
> >_ Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                  
> >www.modssl.org User Support Mailing List                     
> >[email-masked] Automated List Manager                       
> >    [email-masked]
> >
> 
> - 
> 
> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
> any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
> represent those of RNIB.
> 
> 14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit
> http://www.lookloud.org.uk to find out all about it.
>

---

From: "David Lechnyr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:31:17 -0800

Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone can provide any background on the reference in the
INSTALL doc to the "MM Shared Memory Library" at
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mm/.  I realize it's listed as optional,
however it's still at version 1.1.3 (01-Jul-2000) and I'm a little
concerned about it's interaction with other processes on modern kernels
(2.4/2.5).  Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Much appreciated,
David Lechnyr				[email-masked]
Network Administrator			(541) 346-2973
Human Resources, University of Oregon
PGP http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/pgp.key

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:44:26 +0100

> (2.4/2.5).  Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
It works fine even with newer kernels - anyway, the author of both 
mod_ssl and MM is Ralf Engelschall, so I'm sure that he'll keep MM
updated if it needs to be - so far we don't get any complaints about
MM on the list.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "David Lechnyr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:02:50 -0800

Thanks for the info; ironically I never placed the two names together as
the same person (duh).  

Can anyone speak to the performance gains/etc that they've noticed using
MM vs. not using it, and at what point did it make a difference (e.g.,
threshold).  Also under _lower_ traffic conditions, is there a
performance penalty for _using_ MM?

Thanks,
- David Lechnyr