Subject: Error starting apache

From: Laurence Berland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:42:34 -0400

I'm trying to use apache with mod_ssl using the RPMs from redhat:
[root@wiggum conf]# rpm -q apache
apache-1.3.19-5
[root@wiggum conf]# rpm -q mod_ssl
mod_ssl-2.8.1-5

I get the following error and apache doesn't start:
[Mon Aug  5 10:39:51 2002] [error] mod_ssl: Cannot allocate shared memory: 
mm:core: failed to open semaphore file (No such file or directory)

Does anyone know what I need to do to make this work?
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: David Lowenstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:10:20 -0700 (PDT)

Look for a line in your httpd.conf file that looks like:

SSLMutex  file:/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_mutex

Make sure that the path (everything preceding ssl_mutex) exists and is
writeable by the httpd user. Your conf file might point to some directory
that you don't have. The ssl_mutex file will be created when you start up
sucessfully.

Dave Lowenstein
Programmer/Analyst
Instructional Technology Services
San Diego State University
(619)594-0270
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/its