Subject: How to disable part of the HTTP pages?

From: Conrad Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:47:24 +0800

Dear all

After I have implemented the SSL technology in my servers, I understand that
users can access securely under HTTPS://<link>. However, they can still
access through HTTP://<link>. Is there any way to block people from
accessing under HTTP:// ? I'm not meaning to block the whole port 80 but
only some pages, is it belong to the settings of Apache or what? Please
instruct. Thanks a lot!!

Regards

Conrad Ng

______________________________________________________

Scott Wilson Ltd celebrates its new name during its 50th year in Hong Kong!

This e-mail and any attachments to it are intended only for the party to
whom they are addressed. They may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. If you have received this transmission in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper
copies. Thank you.

Scott Wilson accepts no contractual liabilities or commitments arising from
this e-mail unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter or as an e-mail
attachment giving company name, address, registration number and authorized
signatory.
______________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:14:29 +0200

> only some pages, is it belong to the settings of Apache or what? Please
Just make sure that DocumentRoot is not the same for both the HTTP and the
HTTPS server.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall

---

From: "DG Speekenbrink" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:31:34 +0200

Hi Conrad, 

I'm not very familiar with webservers yet, but you might want to use a
"virtual host"
If you let your secure host serve files from
DocumentRoot="/htdocs/secure",
and let your non-secure host serve files from
DocumentRoot="/htdocs/non-secure",
then neither of those virtual hosts can access the wrong files.
(You will need to force one host (non-secure) on port 80, while you
force the other host (secure) to port 443.

I hope my explanation is helpful, and please, someone, correct me if I
see things the wrong way.

Dennis Speekenbrink

---

From: "lin geng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:44:27 -0400

Disable port 80.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Conrad Ng
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 8:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: How to disable part of the HTTP pages?

Dear all

Regards

Conrad Ng

---

From: "Han,Donghoon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:30:41 +0900

Put "Deny from all" in <Directory /some_directory_to_block> </Directory>
in the vhost settings where the serving port is 80.

Ex)
<VirtualHost *:80>
BlahBlahBlah
<Directory /usr/docs>
	Order Deny,Allow
	Deny from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
BlahBlah
<Directory /usr/docs>
	Order Allow,Deny
	Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Refer to the apache manual for further information.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of lin geng
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 10:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: How to disable part of the HTTP pages?

Disable port 80.

-----Original Message-----

Dear all

After I have implemented the SSL technology in my servers, I understand
that

Regards

Conrad Ng

Scott Wilson Ltd celebrates its new name during its 50th year in Hong
Kong!

This e-mail and any attachments to it are intended only for the party to
whom they are addressed. They may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. If you have received this transmission in error please
notify
the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any
paper
copies. Thank you.

Scott Wilson accepts no contractual liabilities or commitments arising
from
this e-mail unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter or as an
e-mail
attachment giving company name, address, registration number and
authorized
signatory.
______________________________________________________

---

From: Dale Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:02:35 -0400 (EDT)

I believe it is more accurate to redirect.  It causes less 
confusion:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName  whatever
Redirect  permanent / https://whatever
</VirtualHost>

Avoids confusion and irritation on the part of site visitors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. 
    -- Jonathan Swift 
___

Dale Weaver                               [email-masked]
UNIX Systems Administrator                (919) 662-3508	
Wake Technical Community College          fax (919) 779-3360

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

This might depend upon what the site wants to do in the end.  Disabling
port 80 will help keep folks from popping in on http, it can be a bennie
for sites open only to a chosen few.  Redirects are good for sites open to
all and pushing clients to the https aspect.  So, it can depend upon what
the sites requirements are.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne