Subject: http + https

From: Mark Cance <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:02:33 +0100

I¹m trying to configure my server to use SSL just for requests to a specific
directory.

I¹ve read the manuals, installed mod_ssl + certificate and all seemed to be
working fine, 

HTTP access to the server at large goes ahead and http accesses to the
Œsecured¹ directory are refused as desired.

However when a file know to be stored within the secured directory is
requested a page not found error is displayed and the following written to
ssl_engine_log, (ssl_request_log remains empty);

[20/Sep/2002 15:33:26 68075] [error] SSL handshake interrupted by system
[Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[20/Sep/2002 15:33:26 68075] [error] System: Broken pipe (errno: 32)

I¹m using the following lines in my httpd.conf to try and achieve the
desired affect;

SSLVerifyClient none
<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/secure>
        SSLRequireSSL
        SSLVerifyClient require
        SSLVerifyDepth 1
</Directory>

When I put the above lines in the ssl virtual host directive nothing appears
to happen, http accesses to the directory are granted, though when I move it
to <IfModule mod_ssl.c> http accesses to the directory are refused as
desired, which confuses me.

Can anyone help as I¹m real stuck with this one.
 
BTW- as yet the CommonName used by my certificate is not applied to my
server, I¹m accessing the machine via its IP and acknowledging the warning
dialogue my browser displaysŠ I¹m assuming this is not the cause of my
trouble?