Subject: Apache 2.0.35 - ssl fails silently?

From: Paul English <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
	I'm working with a new setup of 2.0.35 under Linux, and having 
some trouble. I'm not sure where to look as there are no errors in 
error_log, or /var/log/messages or on the console. 

	Reading the docs I eliminated:
having Listen on port 443 and an appropriate virtual host context
using apachectl startssl to pass -DSSL to the server
tried using the stock httpd.conf and ssl.conf

None of the above seems to work. Thrown into the mix I have several 
interfaces on the machine, and ipchains (for which I've enabled access 
from everywhere to port 443). I tested all the interfaces using nmap, 
which just says that port 443 is closed, and telnet. 

I've attached my config files to see if anyone else can make sense of it.

Thanks,
Paul

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:50:24 -0400 (EDT)

> 	I'm working with a new setup of 2.0.35 under Linux, and having

First of all, why 2.0.35 on a new setup?  2.0.36 was the first full
release (back in April).  2.0.40 is the current release.

--Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Paul English <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:54:39 -0700 (PDT)

> release (back in April).  2.0.40 is the current release.

Oops, I guess I should have said "relatively new." It has been up and 
running without any SSL for a few months.

I'm downloading 2.0.40 now, although I think the problem is most likely 
configuration somehow.

Paul

---

From: Olaf Gellert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:57:05 +0200

Hi,

> from everywhere to port 443).
And hopefully you enabled response packets going from port
443 to the world? I don't know the semantic of nmap, is a
closed port some port where in response to a SYN-packet,
a RST is sent? Or is it a filtered one (= no response).
Just to make sure it's not your firewall. Maybe you can
open all incoming and outgoing packets from localhost
(just for testing) and try a local telnet to that port?

Olaf
-- 
Olaf Gellert                           mailto:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------
DFN-PCA:                    Eine Arbeitsgruppe der DFN-CERT GmbH
Oberstr. 14b                              http://www.pca.dfn.de/
D-20144 Hamburg, Germany           +49.40.808077-555 / Fax: -556
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul Bleimeyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:47:21 -0500

Has anyone successfully implemented mod_sll under 2.40 apache for w2k?
I am getting a 501 1051 internal server error back. The ssl engine is
loading
but no response when I connect to the port.

[info] Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:28 2002] [info] Init: Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:28 2002] [info] Init: Generating temporary RSA private
keys (512/1024 bits)
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:28 2002] [info] Init: Generating temporary DH parameters
(512/1024 bits)
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:28 2002] [info] Init: Initializing (virtual) servers for
SSL
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:28 2002] [info] Server: Apache/2.0.40, Interface:
mod_ssl/2.0.40, Library: OpenSSL/0.9.6g
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3484
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [debug] .\server\mpm\winnt\mpm_winnt.c(483):
Parent: Sent the scoreboard to the child
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [info] Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [info] Init: Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [info] Init: Generating temporary RSA private
keys (512/1024 bits)
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [notice] Child 564: Released the start mutex
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [info] Init: Generating temporary DH parameters
(512/1024 bits)
[Fri Aug 30 15:51:29 2002] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured
[hint: SSLSessionCache]

192.168.1.2 - - [30/Aug/2002:12:30:48 -0500] "?L" 501 1051
192.168.1.2 - - [30/Aug/2002:13:23:04 -0500] "?L" 501 1051
192.168.1.2 - - [30/Aug/2002:14:35:42 -0500] "?L" 501 1051
192.168.1.2 - - [30/Aug/2002:14:35:45 -0500] "?L" 501 1051
192.168.1.2 - - [30/Aug/2002:14:35:53 -0500] "?L" 501 1051