Subject: SSL Pass Phrase

From: "Glenn E. May" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:16:54 -0500

Hey all,

I recently installed mod-ssl on a new web server. Unfortunately, in my haste to get the machine up and running, I cannot remember the pass phrase that I used. 

I have tried making a de-install, and re-installing, however I am unable to bypass this. 

Can someone please let me know the best way to do this. 

Thanks
Glenn May

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:40:28 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Glenn E. May wrote:

> I recently installed mod-ssl on a new web server. Unfortunately, in my
> haste to get the machine up and running, I cannot remember the pass
> phrase that I used. I have tried making a de-install, and re-installing,
> however I am unable to bypass this.

When you reinstall, it leaves your old private key/certificate in place
intentionally (it would suck to have them be overwritten! :).  If you want
to delete them and start over, you have to do it yourself.  Delete the
ssl.* subdirectories of your Apache conf directory and redo the entire
generate-private-key-then-get-certificate process from scratch.  Of course
you realize that if you already bought a real certificate from a CA to go
with your old private key that you're going to have to get a new one (and
different CA's have different reissue policies).

--Cliff
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]