Subject: Re: Apache 2.0 and SSL

From: [email-masked] (George Walsh)
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:16:44 -0400

I, for one, would be more than happy to use Apache 2.0. BUT, I need mod_ssl to function and as I understand it, mod_ssl applications cannot cope with cgi, so I really have no place to start. Running without the nedd for https, I have been VERY impressed with Apache 2.0's speed and efficiency, and would love to work with it, but I have to have the basic tools available to go the next step.

George

-- 
George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,
DSC Directional Services Corp
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

__________________________________________________________________
Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:56:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, George Walsh wrote:

> I, for one, would be more than happy to use Apache 2.0. BUT, I need
> mod_ssl to function and as I understand it, mod_ssl applications cannot
> cope with cgi, so I really have no place to start.

Just to clarify for those who might be listening and didn't follow
George's earlier posts, Apache 2.0 handles https: requests to CGI's
perfectly fine.  EXCEPT when you try to configure it to renegotiate on a
POST request (which could happen if, say, your cgi-bin directory had
per-directory SSL parameters set (eg SSLProtocol or requiring a client
certificate)).

[As a bit of historical reference, those of you who've been around for a
while will recall that mod_ssl for Apache 1.3 had the same problem (worse,
actually... it just gave an I/O error) until version 2.3.10, when the
method not allowed response an experimental workaround were put in.  It
remained available only with --enable-rule=SSL_EXPERIMENTAL up until
version 2.5.0.]

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Charlottesville, VA

---

From: "Cyb.org" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:39:10 +0200

I have some questions related to Apache 2.0, SSL and IPv6.
IPv6-based VHosts for SSL will work?

Cyb.org