Subject: error private key not found

From: "Ricardo Hernandez null" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:32:18 +0100

I’ve installed the follow products in a Sun Machine

- Apache 1.3.22
- Openssl 0.9.6b
- Mod-ssl 2.8.5
- Solaris 8

I’ve done the compilation and instalation well but when I start  
the “APACHE” program the follow error messages appear:

I’ve installed the follow products in a Sun Machine

- Apache 1.3.22
- Openssl 0.9.6b
- Mod-ssl 2.8.5
I’ve done the compilation and instalation well but when I start  
the “APACHE” program the follow error messages appear:

# ./apachectl start
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:40 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the 
server's fully qualified domain name, using 10.32.10.150 for ServerName
./apachectl start: httpd started

# ls -l
total 10
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        454 Mar  4 21:56 access_log
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        556 Mar  6 11:35 error_log
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other          4 Mar  6 11:35 httpd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other       1637 Mar  6 11:35 ssl_engine_log
-rw-------   1 nobody   other          0 Mar  4 21:39 ssl_mutex.479
-rw-------   1 nobody   other          0 Mar  6 11:35 ssl_mutex.768
-rw-------   1 nobody   other          0 Mar  6 11:35 ssl_scache.dir
-rw-------   1 nobody   other          0 Mar  6 11:35 ssl_scache.pag

# more error_log
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:41 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the 
server's fully qualified domain name, using 10.32.10.150 for ServerName
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:41 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.5 
OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:41 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: fcntl (Default: fcntl)

# more ssl_engine_log
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:40 00768] [info]  Server: Apache/1.3.22, Interface: 
mod_ssl/2.8.5, Library: OpenSSL/0.9.6b
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:40 00768] [info]  Init: 1st startup round (still not 
detached)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:40 00768] [info]  Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00768] [info]  Init: Seeding PRNG with 136 bytes 
of entropy
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00768] [info]  Init: Generating temporary RSA 
private keys (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00768] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary DH 
parameters (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: 2nd startup round (already 
detached)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Reinitializing OpenSSL 
library
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Seeding PRNG with 136 bytes 
of entropy
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary RSA 
private keys (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary DH 
parameters (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Initializing (virtual) 
servers for SSL

I stop Apache

# ./apachectl stop
./apachectl stop: httpd stopped

I start Apache SSL

# ./apachectl startssl
[Wed Mar  6 11:42:25 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the 
server's fully qualified domain name, using 10.32.10.150 for ServerName
Apache:mod_ssl:Error: Private key not found.
**Stopped
./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

The logs 

# ls -l
total 10
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        454 Mar  4 21:56 access_log
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        840 Mar  6 11:42 error_log
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other       2225 Mar  6 11:42 ssl_engine_log
-rw-------   1 nobody   other          0 Mar  4 21:39 ssl_mutex.479
# more error_log
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:41 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the 
server's fully qualified domain name, using 10.32.10.150 for ServerName
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:41 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.5 
OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Mar  6 11:35:41 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: fcntl (Default: fcntl)
[Wed Mar  6 11:41:26 2002] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Wed Mar  6 11:42:25 2002] [error] mod_ssl: Init: Private key not found 
(OpenSSL library error follows)
[Wed Mar  6 11:42:25 2002] [error] OpenSSL: error:0D06B078:asn1 
encoding routines:ASN1_get_object:header too long

# more ssl_engine_log
[05/Mar/2002 09:23:34 00625] [info]  Server: Apache/1.3.22, Interface: 
mod_ssl/2.8.5, Library: OpenSSL/0.9.6b
[05/Mar/2002 09:23:34 00625] [info]  Init: 1st startup round (still not 
detached)
[05/Mar/2002 09:23:34 00625] [info]  Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[05/Mar/2002 09:23:34 00625] [info]  Init: Loading certificate & 
private key of SSL-aware server intsolar8:443
[05/Mar/2002 09:23:35 00625] [error] Init: Private key not found 
(OpenSSL library error follows)
[05/Mar/2002 09:23:35 00625] [error] OpenSSL: error:0D06B078:asn1 
encoding routines:ASN1_get_object:header too long
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:40 00768] [info]  Server: Apache/1.3.22, Interface: 
mod_ssl/2.8.5, Library: OpenSSL/0.9.6b
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:40 00768] [info]  Init: 1st startup round (still not 
detached)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:40 00768] [info]  Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00768] [info]  Init: Seeding PRNG with 136 bytes 
of entropy
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00768] [info]  Init: Generating temporary RSA 
private keys (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00768] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary DH 
parameters (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: 2nd startup round (already 
detached)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Reinitializing OpenSSL 
library
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Seeding PRNG with 136 bytes 
of entropy
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary RSA 
private keys (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary DH 
parameters (512/1024 bits)
[06/Mar/2002 11:35:41 00769] [info]  Init: Initializing (virtual) 
servers for SSL
[06/Mar/2002 11:42:25 00782] [info]  Server: Apache/1.3.22, Interface: 
mod_ssl/2.8.5, Library: OpenSSL/0.9.6b
[06/Mar/2002 11:42:25 00782] [info]  Init: 1st startup round (still not 
detached)
[06/Mar/2002 11:42:25 00782] [info]  Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[06/Mar/2002 11:42:25 00782] [info]  Init: Loading certificate & 
private key of SSL-aware server intsolar8:443
[06/Mar/2002 11:42:25 00782] [error] Init: Private key not found 
(OpenSSL library error follows)
[06/Mar/2002 11:42:25 00782] [error] OpenSSL: error:0D06B078:asn1 
encoding routines:ASN1_get_object:header too long

The Certificate has been ordered  to a CA  for IIS machine with W2000 
OS. I’ve exported the certificate and I’ve applied this command:
 
make certificate TYPE=existing CRT=/path/crt
make install

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]