Subject: [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `yin.*' does NOT match server name!?

From: Aihong Yin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:00:05 +0100

Hello all,

I am trying to setup my server (apache 2.0.43, opensl 0.9.6g on RedHat 
7.1).

I have created a SSL server certificate using a self-made CA, and am 
sure that
the Common Name in the Server Certificate und ServerName in http.conf 
file are
the same "yin.fokus.gmd.de", which is identical with the host address.

I now start apache with "apachect1 startssl"and get the following message
in error_log file, but no errors in the console
---->
[Wed Jan 29 08:34:02 2003] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
 `yin.fokus.gmd.de' does NOT match server name!?
[Wed Jan 29 08:34:03 2003] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest 
authentication ...
[Wed Jan 29 08:34:03 2003] [notice] Digest: done
[Wed Jan 29 08:34:04 2003] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
`yin.fokus.gmd.de' does NOT match server name!?
[Wed Jan 29 08:34:05 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.43 
OpenSSL/0.9.6g DAV/2 configured
-- resuming normal operations
<---

if I try and access the secure site (https://yin.fokus.gmd.de) I get the 
following error message in browser
 (but I can start the normal site http://yin.fokus.gmd.de):
------>
The server's certificate has an invalid signature. You will not be able 
to connect to this site securely.
<------

Thanks a lot for any helps.

Best Regards,
Aihong Yin.

-- 

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:19:00 +0100

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:00:05AM +0100, Aihong Yin wrote:
>From the error message in the subject, it would appear that you have set CN to
yin.* and not yin.fokus.gmd.de. Use openssl to verify the problem:

openssl x509 -noout -text -in server.crt

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall