Subject: URGENT: need mod_ssl rpm to work with RedHat's apache_1.3.22 rpm on RH6.2

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:20:57 -0400

I upgraded a 6.2 Red Hat system, from apache 1.2.12 to 1.3.22, using 
their rpms. In the process, the ssl module disappeared, and I cannot 
find a new one.

Since the apache is installed from an rpm, there is no way for me to 
build the module from the mod_ssl-2.8.5-1.3.22.tar.gz source file I 
downloaded, as it wants to integrate itself into the apache source that 
doesn't exist.

Our e-business site is broken until I can fix this.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to fix this?

Most gracious thanks in advance!

    -ste

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:56:25 -0400

Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> their rpms. In the process, the ssl module disappeared

I have investigated further and discovered it's actually a different 
problem.

when I installed red hat's 1.3.22 apache rpm, it does in fact include a 
libssl.so module, which does get loaded in the httpd.conf.ssl file on 
the system. (I was looking for mod_ssl.so).

The problem is that this causes all the httpd processes to seg fault, 
which they don't, if the module isn't loaded.

    -ste

---

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:19:29 -0400

Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> when I installed red hat's 1.3.22 apache rpm, it does in fact include 
> a libssl.so module, which does get loaded in the httpd.conf.ssl file 
> on the system. (I was looking for mod_ssl.so).
>

I should not that if I fall back to the apache 1.3.12 rpms, it all 'just 
works'.

I'm wondering if something in the httpd.conf.ssl file is causing it to 
barf. I have no idea where that file came from, to see if there is an 
updated version I should be migrating the ssl settings to ...

    -ste

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:29:52 -0400 (EDT)

> which they don't, if the module isn't loaded.

It would be helpful if you could tell us *where* it was segfaulting.
Please see http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html for information on
how to generate a backtrace for us.

Thanks,
--Cliff

---

From: "Sander Steffann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:01:54 +0200

Hi,

> the system. (I was looking for mod_ssl.so).

Are you sure?? I have the latest RPM from RedHat (apache-1.3.22-5.6) and it
does not contain any file which has 'ssl' in its name. Maybe you still have
an old version of libssl.so on your system. This could also explain the
crashes you see.

Good luck,
Sander.

---

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:05:57 -0400

Sander Steffann wrote:

>>Shaun Erickson wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what I discovered later. The more I dug into the 
problem, the more I learned and understood.

To get my server working again, I downloaded the rpm for the older 
version I'd been running, from Red Hat, and re-installed that. 
Everything is fine again.

Now, I am learning how to build the server and extra modules from 
source, so that I: 1) learn how to do it, 2) have the latest releases to 
draw upon, instead of Red Hat's lagged-behind software, with back-ported 
patches, 3) know exactly how everything is built.

My client will get a nicely running server that meets his needs, and I 
will have learned quite a bit, which goes right to the bottom-line of my 
resume. :)

    -ste

---

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:23:10 -0400

I wrote:

> source, so that I: 1) learn how to do it, 2) have the latest releases 
> to draw upon, instead of Red Hat's lagged-behind software, with 
> back-ported patches, 3) know exactly how everything is built. 

And I have now, after a few hours of  hair pulling, succeeded in 
building an apache_1.3.26/mm-1.1.3/openssl-0.9.6d/mod_ssl-2.8.10-1.3.26 
server.

Now I have to learn how to add php-4.2.1 & mod_perl-1.27 to this mix.

This isn't easy, but a little bit of success sure starts to make it fun. :)

    -ste

---

From: Guillaume Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:51:15 -0400

At 14:23 -0400 14/07/02, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>>source, so that I: 1) learn how to do it, 2) have the latest 
>>releases to draw upon, instead of Red Hat's lagged-behind software, 
>>with back-ported patches, 3) know exactly how everything is built.
>
>building an 
>apache_1.3.26/mm-1.1.3/openssl-0.9.6d/mod_ssl-2.8.10-1.3.26 server.
>

You may want to try out Apache eXtenSions (APXS), which is a nice way 
of working with dynamic shared objects. I discovered this about a 
week ago and I really love it. It makes working with Apache modules 
really easy.

I've set up a small web page giving some recipes for adding APXS 
modules (including php and mod_perl) to Apache:
http://logidac.com/apache/apxs/

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

You'll notice that mod_ssl is not in the list, because of the bug I 
described in my message from Saturday.

Regards,
GFK's
-- 
Guillaume Filion
Logidac Tech., Beaumont, Québec, Canada - http://logidac.com/
PGP Key and more: http://guillaume.filion.org/      (this will redirect)
PGP Fingerprint: 14A6 720A F7BA 6C87 2331 33FD 467E 9198 3DED D5CA
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]