Subject: RE: Performance Tuning on Apache 1.3.24 with mod_ssl 2.8.8

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:51:32 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 30 May 2002 23:59
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Performance Tuning on Apache 1.3.24 with mod_ssl 2.8.8
> 
> 
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Patrick Dionisio wrote:
> 
> > Currently, I have a client script that generates n
> > number of requests to the apache server.  The page it
> > requests is a static page.  With SSL turned on, I'm
> > only able to get at most 7 to 8 requests per second.
> > With SSL turned off, I am able to get 50+ requests per
> > second.
> 
> Wow, that's still incredibly slow.  What kind of CPU and how 
> much RAM are
> we talking about here?  With SSL turned off you should be 
> able to pump out
> way more RPS than that on a static page.  I suggest you tune 
> that first
> (you should be looking for a number in the hundreds of RPS at 
> least), and
> *then* focus on SSL.  See:
> 
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
> 
> Upgrading to Apache 2.0.x might help, too.  :)
> 
Upgrading to Apache 2.0.x on the users platform (I guess it's Red Hat 7.2)
is particularly hard. I spent a week trying this out recently but kept
running into problems with openssl libraries, and pre-compiled packages.

I used both an rpm that had already been built for Apache 2 (after creating
symlinks to the openssl libraries), and compiled openssl and Apache 2 from
source. In both cases I could send one request for a secure page, but all
subsequent requests hung completely.

Until Red Hat can release an rpm that works with their other rpms I'd
suggest that Apache 2 on that platform is still a bit of a pipe-dream. It's
now my preference to stay with pre-compiled packages where-ever I can,
simply because it is easier for me to administer (but I don't want to start
another discussion on that either!)

Which brings me to the point. Are you using the packages that came with
RedHat 7.2, or compiling your own? In the latter case, you may be seeing
conflicts with the openssl libraries that come with Red Hat 7.2. I've had no
difficulties with the packages that come with Red Hat 7.2 thus far.

- 
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

If Charles Darwin knew a fraction of what scientists know today, he'd never
have written the Origin of the Species.

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to
find out all about it.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 05:01:59 -0400 (EDT)

> (but I don't want to start

Dang!  Everyones killing some of my better discussion topics! <grin>

Ya'll have a great weekend folks.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!