Subject: SSL Pass phrase

From: Scott Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:36:55 +0000

I believe I have successfully configured Apache/PHP/mod_ssl/openssl on Red 
Hat 7.2.

When starting SSL with "./apachectl startssl" I get:

Server localhost.localdomain:443 (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:

I put my password in and get:

Apache:mod_ssl:Error: Pass phrase incorrect

I thought that this was the pass phrase I entered when "making" the 
certificate. I am sure I knew (and still believe) the correct pass phrase.

However, is there a way of finding out from my system files?

I have tried to understand the typically obscure instructions that come with 
software but have failed.

Is it  "openssl rsa -noout -text -in server.key" where server.key is the file 
in the /apache/conf/ssl.key directory? The result is:

read RSA key
Enter PEM pass phrase:

I enter password and get:

unable to load key
14555:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal:bad 
decrypt:evp_enc.c:277:
14555:error:0906A065:PEM routines:PEM_do_header:bad decrypt:pem_lib.c.451:

If someone has an answer, could they please tell me exactly where I should 
run the relevant command.

Please help

Regards

Scott
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:53:06 -0500 (EST)

Sounds like perhaps you fat-fingers it as entering it, or are not using
caps or special chars you did when you entered it.  I'ts case sensitivve,
so caps count, spcial chars count.  did you start the passphrase, typo
then backspace?  if so, try that excat sequence and see if it works for
ya.  Barring that your quickest fix is to redo the certs...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!