Subject: Cannot load /path/libexec/libssl.so into server - Solaris 8

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 12:54:14 -0400

Ok, am I doing something dumb?

Solaris 8
OpenSSL-0.9.6c - config shared -fPIC
MM-1.1.3 - configure --disable-shared
Apache 1.3.24
mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24
configure --with-apache="/local/app1/apache/apache_1.3.24"
--with-ssl="/local/app1/openssl/openssl-0.9.6c"
--with-mm="/local/app1/apache/mm-1.1.3"
--prefix="/local/webhome/apache-1.3.24" --enable-shared="ssl"

HTTP works fine.  SSL dies on startup:

/local/webhome/apache/bin/apachectl startssl
Syntax error on line 206 of /local/webhome/apache-1.3.24/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /local/webhome/apache/libexec/libssl.so into server: ld.so.1: /local/webhome/apache-1.3.24/bin/httpd: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.6: open failed: No such file or directory
/local/webhome/apache/bin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

Originally I was using 'config shared' on OpenSSL, I added -fPIC
though I believe it is redundant.  No change.

-MZ, CISSP #3762, RHCE #806199299900541
-- 
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 781-788-0130
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/>  <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Lutz Jaenicke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 19:48:26 +0200

> though I believe it is redundant.  No change.

Dear Sir or Madam (whatever your real name might be)!

apachectl tells you, that it cannot load the shared library named
libssl.so.0.9.6, that seems to be referenced by libssl.so. Is libssl.so
a symbolic link? To which location does it point? Is the file really there?

Regards,
	Lutz
-- 
Lutz Jaenicke                             [email-masked]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/
BTU Cottbus, Allgemeine Elektrotechnik
Universitaetsplatz 3-4, D-03044 Cottbus
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:05:04 -0400

Once upon a time Lutz Jaenicke shaped the electrons to say...
> Dear Sir or Madam (whatever your real name might be)!

My full legal name really is MegaZone.

And I have XY chomosomes. ;-)

But 'Sir' is so formal...

> a symbolic link? To which location does it point? Is the file really there?

It is not a symbolic link, and it is there.

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     286000 May  8 12:40 libssl.so

I think I recall seeing something about the linker on Solaris 8 - Sun
vs GNU.  But I can't seem to find anything now.

---

From: "Aryeh Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:17:46 -0400

> > libssl.so.0.9.6, that seems to be referenced by libssl.so. Is
> > libssl.so a symbolic link? To which location does it point? Is the
> > file really there?
> 
Uh, this isn't the file apache is looking for. It's looking for libssl.so.0.9.6. You probably have to set up that symlink.
Aryeh

---
Aryeh Katz
VASCO 			
www.vasco.com

---

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:27:52 -0400

Once upon a time Aryeh Katz shaped the electrons to say...
> Uh, this isn't the file apache is looking for. It's looking for libssl.so.0.9.6. You probably have to set up that symlink.

Already tried that.  Symlinks and a copy of the file out of 
/usr/local/ssl/lib/  It was the first thing I did.

Same error.

That's why I think it is something in libssl.so that is trying to use
the linker and failing.

The libssl.so is being placed there by the 'make install'.

---

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:41:22 -0400

Once upon a time MegaZone shaped the electrons to say...
> That's why I think it is something in libssl.so that is trying to use

That neuron finally woke up.

I added /usr/local/ssl/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH

---

From: "Frederik Uyttersprot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:09:36 +0200

Check out,

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6.1/lib/mod_perl_traps.html

Solved most of my problems on Solaris.

For OpenSSL I used settings from mod_ssl INSTALL readme. Worth checking it
out.

The configure for Apache 1.3.24 I used,

EAPI_MM="../mm-1.1.3" SSL_BASE="../openssl-0.9.6c" \
 ./configure \
 --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
 --enable-module=vhost_alias \
 --enable-module=unique_id \
 --enable-module=rewrite \
 --enable-module=speling \
 --enable-module=expires \
 --enable-module=info \
 --enable-module=usertrack \
 --enable-module=proxy \
 --enable-module=so \
 --enable-shared=ssl \
 --enable-module=ssl \
 --disable-rule=SSL_COMPAT \
 --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
 --enable-module=perl \
 --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE