Subject: httpsd doesn't start

From: "Mike Burkhouse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:42:20 -0500

Hi All,

I saw a couple of references to this problem in the archives, but none of
the solutions there solved my problem.

I am running:

Red Hat 7.3

Apache 2.0.44

OpenSSL 0.9.7

1) I have a pretty vanilla httpd.conf  running only one site and I am trying
to set up a secure virtual site in /apache2/htdocs/secureSite/ . 

2) I created my key and self-signed cert in /apache2/conf/ .

3) I configured apache2/conf/ssl.conf to point to the correct key and cert
and with the correct path to the directory that I want to serve documents
from

I stop httpd and run apachectl startssl with no complaints, but only httpd
starts, not httpsd, and nothing gets logged.  I have no idea how to track
down what has gone wrong.  Can anyone offer any suggestions where to look? 

Sorry if this is not enough information - if you tell me what else you need,
I am happy to provide it to you.

Thanks,

Mike

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:18:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Mike Burkhouse wrote:

> I stop httpd and run apachectl startssl with no complaints, but only
> httpd starts, not httpsd, and nothing gets logged.  I have no idea how
> to track down what has gone wrong.  Can anyone offer any suggestions
> where to look?

There's no such thing as httpsd under Apache 2.0.x.  That's an
Apache-SSL-ism, and Apache2 uses mod_ssl.  HTTP and HTTPS are served by
the same daemon process(es).

--Cliff
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]