Subject: Newbie - The big picture

From: Søren Neigaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:43:56 +0100

I'm totally new to mod_ssl, so I downloaded the docs, and started
reading them. But the reference raised a lot of questions for me, so
here they come. I'm sorry for the multi-post, but I don't belive my
questions are large enough for separate posts, and I have so many :)

SSLPassPhraseDialog:

Is this only needed for certificates?

If I set this to builtin, what then? When I start Apache, do I then
get prompted for each VirtualHost?

SSLMutex:

Does SSLMutex work under FreeBSD?

SSLEngine:

If I want to SSL enable a VirtualHost, should I then use this switch?

SSLRequireSSL:

Strange switch, if I want to be sure SSL is used, or?

Maybe someone could give me a example of a httpd.conf where one
VirtualHost requires SSL, and another doesn't :)

And what if I in one VirtualHost want to SSL enable some pages, but
not all?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:[email-masked]
--
 "When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not far away. It is time to go elsewhere. The best thing about space travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere."

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:17:58 +0100

> Is this only needed for certificates?

Well, actually they are for the encrypted keys.
> get prompted for each VirtualHost?
Once pr. encrypted key with a different password.
> Does SSLMutex work under FreeBSD?
Quoting from the reference: "This is the portable and (under Unix) 
always provided Mutex variant". Even the sem version is supported
on FreeLSD if you compile with MM support. Last time I installed
mod_ssl from ports it had MM support.
> If I want to SSL enable a VirtualHost, should I then use this switch?
Yes.
> Strange switch, if I want to be sure SSL is used, or?
Exactly as the Reference says - but it shouldn't really be necessary 
unless you're messing around with a mixed config.
> VirtualHost requires SSL, and another doesn't :)
Such a file gets installed as httpd.conf.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]