Subject: RE: Installing ModSSL Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:46:43 +0100

You have two other options (at least).
 
1. Download the Apache-mod_ssl rpm from http://www.modssl.org/contrib/
<http://www.modssl.org/contrib/> 
2. Upgrade to RedHat 7.0 or above, as this comes with it.
 
Either way, keep a backup of your httpd.conf file, just in case.
 
- 
John Airey 
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind, 
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU, 
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

If Charles Darwin knew a fraction of what scientists know today, he'd never
have written the Origin of the Species. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Don [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 04 June 2002 15:41
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Installing ModSSL Question

Hi,
 
I'm new to this so please bare with me.  I am running RedHat Linux 6.2 with
Apache 1.3.22 and OpenSSL 0.9.6d.  I wish to install ModSSL so that I can
secure my web site.
 
I have downloaded the mod_ssl-2.8.5-1.3.22 tarball from the web site.  Upon
reading the documentation, I find that I need to recompile apache with
additional configuration options in order to install ModSSL.
 
Here is my dilemma.  I never compiled Apache from source but rather
installed from rpm packages.  Therefore, there doesn't seem to be any way I
can install ModSSL.  I've looked at the FAQ but can see no hints on
installing ModSSL once Apache is installed.  Neither have I found and ModSSL
rpm package.
 
I DON'T want to download the Apache tarball and compile/install if I can
help it because RedHat is a bit screwy as it uses it's own directories.
Installing Apache from the tarball will undoubtedly mess up my system as it
will install in other directories and confuse the hell out of me.
 
Do I have other options?
 
Thanks,
Don

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to
find out all about it.