Subject: Problems with Apache 2.0.35 and SSL

From: "paul priestman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:30:53 +0000

Hello,

I have two questions/problems that may be bugs or just my error - hope you 
can help

1.  I have managed to install Apache 2.0.35 with mod SSL but it ony works 
when i sepecify the servername as been the servers IP address instead of the 
actual name - is this a bug or is this the way Apache in tended?

2.  I have now decided to install Apache 2.0.35 with mod ssl as a DSO module 
as it seems to be unstable and I may not wish to load this module into the 
server.  All the other modules are compiled in to the apache kernel.  My 
configuration was thus:
./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache \
--enable-so \
--enable-ssl=shared \
--with-ssl=/path/to/openssl

this compiled ok and it installed ok.  However, when i try to start the 
server i get the following error message:

Cannot load /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: 
ld.so.1: /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: 
file /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/modules/mod_ssl.so: symbol 
X509_INFO_free: referenced symbol not found

Is this a common bug?

Paul

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Jason Buchanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:56:07 -0400

if you're building this in Solaris, you need the Sun ld that is in 
/usr/ccs/bin - NOT the GCC ld.  GCC ld will not build binaries that run 
DSO Apache ;-)

later...
jsb

paul priestman wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> I have two questions/problems that may be bugs or just my error - hope 
> you can help
>
> 1.  I have managed to install Apache 2.0.35 with mod SSL but it ony 
> works when i sepecify the servername as been the servers IP address 
> instead of the actual name - is this a bug or is this the way Apache 
> in tended?
>
> 2.  I have now decided to install Apache 2.0.35 with mod ssl as a DSO 
> module as it seems to be unstable and I may not wish to load this 
> module into the server.  All the other modules are compiled in to the 
> apache kernel.  My configuration was thus:
> this compiled ok and it installed ok.  However, when i try to start 
> the server i get the following error message:
>
> Cannot load /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/modules/mod_ssl.so into 
> server: ld.so.1: /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/bin/httpd: fatal: 
> relocation error: file 
> /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/modules/mod_ssl.so: symbol

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:35:59 -0400 (EDT)

> actual name - is this a bug or is this the way Apache in tended?

Do you mean in the actual ServerName directive?  No that's not intended,
but I've also never seen this problem.  Can you email me a configuration
snippet that demonstrates the problem?

> X509_INFO_free: referenced symbol not found

Yes, it's a fairly frequently asked question.  The problem is that you've
built a shared mod_ssl against a static OpenSSL (ie, libssl.a and
libcrypto.a instead of .so).  That won't work because the way the build
system currently works, OpenSSL is linked into httpd, not mod_ssl.  httpd
doesn't need the symbols from the OpenSSL libraries, so the static linker
throws them away, meaning they're no longer available when mod_ssl is
dynamically linked at runtime.

Solution: use a shared OpenSSL.

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Apache HTTP Server Project

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:19:48 -0400 (EDT)

I think Owen mentioned a week ago or so that <open>ssl also has to be
compiled as 'shared' for this to work, else there are problems.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!