Subject: Apache 2.0.35 and SSL

From: "paul priestman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:56:45 +0000

Hello all,

I am trying to compile apache 2.0.35 with ssl but it is not working.  My 
config is as follows:

./configure --prefix=/path/whereiwant/apache \
--enable-ssl \
--with-ssl=/path/to/openssl

however on make i get the following error

flex -Pssl_expr_yy -s -B 
/home/user/jwoodman/apache/httpd-2.0.35/modules/ssl/ssl_expr_scan.l
sh: flex: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ssl_expr_scan.c'
Current working directory 
/home/user/jwoodman/apache/httpd-2.0.35/modules/ssl
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory 
/home/user/jwoodman/apache/httpd-2.0.35/modules/ssl
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /home/user/jwoodman/apache/httpd-2.0.35/modules
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

I have managed to get apache 1.3.22 working with modssl and apache 2.0.35 
working without ssl.

Thanks for your help

Regards

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:09:07 -0400 (EDT)

> /home/user/jwoodman/apache/httpd-2.0.35/modules/ssl/ssl_expr_scan.l

I *wish* I could figure out why it is that mod_ssl feels the need to
regenerate the scanner and parser sometimes.  It happens to me every now
and then but I haven't pinned down the cause.  Best guess is that you did
a copy of the files without preserving the timestamps?  Anyway, we
distribute the generated files... you already have them, you just need to
update the timestamps on them so that you can convince make they're not
out-of-date.  Do this:

cd httpd-2.0/modules/ssl
touch ssl_expr_scan.c
touch ssl_expr_parse.c
touch ssl_expr_parse.h

Then it should work fine.

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Apache HTTP Server Project

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:18:07 +0200

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:09:07AM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> a copy of the files without preserving the timestamps? 

Given that this is probably the same problem as we have seen with the
"old" mod_ssl - my guess is more like a broken tar that resets timestamps.
But I haven't verified the problem because it never failed for me :)

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:23:27 -0400 (EDT)

> "old" mod_ssl - my guess is more like a broken tar that resets timestamps.

That could explain some of it.  But I feel like there might be something
else going on too, because...

> But I haven't verified the problem because it never failed for me :)

It gets rebuilt on me from time to time, and I only ever use CVS (which
maintains timestamps), not tarballs (unless I'm testing a pre-release).
Of course, I have lex and yacc, so it builds fine, but it's still annoying
because it causes a difference in my otherwise pristine tree which it then
wants me to commit.  :)

--Cliff