Subject: problem with configure on mod_ssl 2.8.6 with apache 1.3.23.

From: "PAD HOSMANE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:00:59 -0500

Hi,
  I am trying to configure mod_ssl with apache_1.3.23 on HP-UX 11.00, gcc
3.0.1. I get "Execute permission denied" as shown below, I get this error
when i give CC="gcc shared -fpic" while i run configure as shown below under
"OUTPUT OF configure in Mod_ssL". When I run make from apache_1.3.23
directory, it also fails to compile with error as execution permission
denied on some script as show below (I am running as root). Any help is
appreciated.

  If i dont give CC="gcc -share -fpic", then i dont get error, but when i
run make in apache_1.3.23 directory it gives while linking:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ld -L/usr/local/bin/openssl0.9.6c/lib -b -o libssl.so mod_ssl.lo
ssl_engine_config.lo ssl_engine_compat.lo ssl_engine_ds.lo ssl_engine_dh.lo
ssl_engine_init.lo ssl_engine_kernel.lo ssl_engine_rand.lo ssl_engine_io.lo
ssl_engine_log.lo ssl_engine_mutex.lo ssl_engine_pphrase.lo
ssl_engine_vars.lo ssl_engine_ext.lo ssl_scache.lo ssl_scache_dbm.lo
ssl_scache_shmht.lo ssl_scache_shmcb.lo ssl_expr.lo ssl_expr_scan.lo
ssl_expr_parse.lo ssl_expr_eval.lo ssl_util.lo ssl_util_ssl.lo
ssl_util_sdbm.lo
ssl_util_table.lo  -ldbm -lssl -lcrypto -L/opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-h
pux11.00/3.0.1 -lgcc
ld: DP relative code in file
/usr/local/bin/openssl0.9.6c/lib/libssl.sl(s2_srvr.o) - shared library must
be position
    independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
make[4]: *** [libssl.so] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/down/apache_1.3.23'
make: *** [build] Error 2
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OUTPUT OF configure in mod_ssl
------------------------------
./configure --enable-module=ssl --with-apache=/opt/down/apache_1.3.23 --with
-ssl=/usr/local/bin/openssl0.9.6c --with-mm=/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3 --enable
-shared=ssl --enable-rule=EAPI --p
refix=/usr/local/bin/apache_1.2.23
Configuring mod_ssl/2.8.6 for Apache/1.3.23
 + Apache location: /opt/down/apache_1.3.23 (Version 1.3.23)
 + OpenSSL location: /usr/local/bin/openssl0.9.6c
 + MM location: /usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3
 + Auxiliary patch tool: ./etc/patch/patch (local)
 + Applying packages to Apache source tree:
   o Extended API (EAPI)
   o Distribution Documents
   o SSL Module Source
   o SSL Support
   o SSL Configuration Additions
   o SSL Module Documentation
   o Addons
Done: source extension and patches successfully applied.

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
 + using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 + enabling mod_so for DSO support
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for HP-UX 11 platform
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -shared -fpic -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
    o ssl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + SSL interface: mod_ssl/2.8.6
      + SSL interface build type: DSO
      + SSL interface compatibility: enabled
      + SSL interface experimental code: disabled
      + SSL interface conservative code: disabled
      + SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
      + SSL interface plugin: Configured DBM (-ldbm)
      + SSL library path: /usr/local/bin/openssl0.9.6c
      + SSL library version: OpenSSL 0.9.6c 21 dec 2001
      + SSL library type: installed package (stand-alone)
 + enabling Extended API (EAPI)
   using MM library: /usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3 (installed)
 + using builtin Expat
./helpers/TestCompile: /opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers/testfunc: Execute
permission denied.
./helpers/TestCompile: /opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers/testfunc: Execute
permission denied.
./helpers/TestCompile: /opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers/testfunc: Execute
permission denied.
./helpers/TestCompile: /opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers/testfunc: Execute
permission denied.
./helpers/TestCompile: /opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers/testfunc: Execute
permission denied.
 + checking sizeof various data types
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
Creating Makefile in src/support
Creating Makefile in src/regex
Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
Creating Makefile in src/ap
Creating Makefile in src/main
Creating Makefile in src/lib/expat-lite
Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
Creating Makefile in src/modules/ssl

Now proceed with the following commands:
 $ cd /opt/down/apache_1.3.23
 $ make
 $ make certificate
 $ make install
bash-2.05# gcc -v

END OF OUTPUT FOR configure in mod_ssl DIRECTORY
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

OUTPUT OF make in apache_1.3.23
--------------------------------
 make
===> src
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/down/apache_1.3.23'
make[2]: Entering directory `/opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src'
===> src/regex
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
<=== src/regex
===> src/os/unix
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../../os/unix -I../
../include   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_
EXPAT -I../../lib/expat-lite `../../apaci` os.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../../os/unix -I../
../include   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_
EXPAT -I../../lib/expat-lite `../../apaci` os-inline.c
rm -f libos.a
ar cr libos.a os.o os-inline.o
/bin/true libos.a
<=== src/os/unix
===> src/ap
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_cpystrn.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_execve.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_fnmatch.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_getpass.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_md5c.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_signal.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_slack.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_snprintf.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_sha1.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_checkpass.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_base64.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_ebcdic.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_hook.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_ctx.c
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci` ap_mm.c
rm -f libap.a
ar cr libap.a ap_cpystrn.o ap_execve.o ap_fnmatch.o ap_getpass.o ap_md5c.o
ap_signal.o ap_slack.o ap_snprintf.o ap_sha1.o ap_checkpass.o ap_base64.o
ap_ebcdic.o ap_hook.o ap_ctx.o ap_mm.o
/bin/true libap.a
<=== src/ap
===> src/main
gcc -shared -fpic -c -I/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/include -I../os/unix -I../inc
lude   -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT 
-I../lib/expat-lite `../apaci`
gen_test_char.cgcc -shared -fpic  -DHPUX11 -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DUSE_HSREGEX -D
EAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
`../apaci` -L/usr/local/bin/mm-1.1.3/lib  -o gen_test_char
en_test_char.o  -lm -lpthread -lmm
./gen_test_char >test_char.h
/usr/bin/sh: ./gen_test_char: Execute permission denied.
make[3]: *** [test_char.h] Error 1
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/down/apache_1.3.23/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/down/apache_1.3.23'
make: *** [build] Error 2

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]