Subject: RE: 128 bit key

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:43:35 +0100

When you say you need to create a 128bit key, what are you referring to? I
believe you are confusing the 128bit (or less if your browser is an old
export-crippled one) generated SSL key per SSL session with the actual
server key. Anything less than a 1024 bit server key is a waste of time,
given that 512bit keys are now breakable via desktop machines. Allegedly the
US Government has the power to break 1024 bit keys. There's been a lot of
discussion about this on Bugtraq recently.

- 
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute for the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

The teaching of evolution as a proven fact rather than a theory has done
more harm to scientific progress than anything else in history.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Durdle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 18 April 2002 21:06
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 128 bit key

Hi,

I need to create a 128 bit key, but when I try to, it throws this at
me.

11663:error:04075070:rsa routines:RSA_sign:digest too big for rsa
key:rsa_sign.c:114:
11663:error:0D072006:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_sign:bad get asn1 object
call:a_sign.c:129:

I need it to create a 128 bit key due to an employers special
needs, a 1024 bit one would be useless to me :/

- Robert                            
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to
find out all about it.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]