Subject: SSL w/ Virtual Hosts startup failure...

From: Sean M Alderman <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 17:21:13 -0400

Hi, I just received certs today for a couple of Vhosts.  I setup their
SSL vhosts like -

<IfDefine SSL>

<VirtualHost 111.222.444.333:443>

# Server Info
ServerName www.server.com
ServerAdmin [email-masked]

# SSL Stuff
SSLEngine on
SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
SSLCertificateFile /usr/appl/www/www.server.com/certs/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/appl/www/www.server.com/certs/server.key
<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>
<Directory "/usr/appl/www/www.server.com/cgi-bin">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Directory>
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
CustomLog /usr/appl/www/cws.grc.nasa.gov/logs/ssl_request_log \
          "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

# Document Directory Information
DocumentRoot /usr/appl/www/www.server.com/htdocs
<Directory />
  Options +Includes
</Directory>

# Jakarta Mounts for the
# Bobby Section 508 software
JkMount /bobby ajp13
JkMount /bobby/*.jsp ajp13

# CGI Directories
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/appl/www/www.server.com/cgi-bin/"

# Log Configuration
ErrorLog /usr/appl/www/www.server.com/logs/error_log
CustomLog "|/usr/appl/apache/bin/rotatelogs
/usr/appl/www/www.server.com/logs/access_log 2419200" combined

</VirtualHost>

</IfDefine>

I configured ssl and certs for 3 vhosts and tested each one after I made
the configuration for it.  The server started after the first ssl
config, and the second, but it's not starting on the last.  The SSL
Engine Log is here, access_log and error_log have are empty

==> ssl_engine_log <==
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Server: Apache/1.3.26, Interface:
mod_ssl/2.8.9, Library: OpenSSL/0.9.6d
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: 1st startup round (still not
detached)
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: Initializing OpenSSL
library[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: Loading certificate &
private key of SSL-aware server mailarch.grc.nasa.gov:443
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: Loading certificate & private
key of SSL-aware server cws.grc.nasa.gov:443
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: Loading certificate & private
key of SSL-aware server webapp.grc.nasa.gov:443
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: Seeding PRNG with 136 bytes
of entropy
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:30 11938] [info]  Init: Generating temporary RSA
private keys (512/1024 bits)
[18/Jul/2002 17:09:31 11938] [info]  Init: Configuring temporary DH
parameters (512/1024 bits)

Is there some advanced logging I can do to determine the problem?  Has
this been handled before (and I didn't use the right search terms)?

Thanks!

-- 
Sean M. Alderman
ITRACK Systems Analyst
PACE/NCI - NASA Glenn Research Center
(216) 433-2795

Calling a windowed operating system "Windows" is like naming an
automobile "Wheels."
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Carl Dionne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:41:48 -1000

Hello,

I am new to the mailing list.  I have several redhat 7.3 linux servers that
are running Apache 1.3 webservers.  Can anyone point me to a guide to setup
the following:

1.  Running a webserver using standard http
2.  and, setting up a sub area using a virtual host to allow access only
through https.

I must be missing something.  I have verified that port 443 is active and
listening.  However I loose it when trying to get the web page to work with
SSL using https instead of http.

Has anyone done this before.  I successfully got squirrelmail running but we
want to use SSL for security reasons.

Mahalo

Carl Dionne
UHH Computer Science