Subject: solaris 8 random number seed

From: Greg Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:15:10 +1000

Hi,

I'm having the popular 'Solaris 8 has no /dev/random' problem.

I'm using openssl-0.9.6b and I don't have the option to upgrade nor can 
I add the Solaris patch to create /dev/random. (30 odd live servers 
which I'm not allowed to reboot or mangle if it can be avoided)

I've installed egd and pgrnd packages downloaded from sunfreeware.com.

If I use the openssl command line utility then, provided I've created a 
.rnd seed file in my home directory, I can create keys, etc. without 
seeing errors about the random number generator being un-seeded.

The same is not true for Apache with mod_ssl.

I don't know how to let mod_ssl / Apache know where the random number 
seed file is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Hamilton

---

From: Ian Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:50:39 +0100

Solaris 8 now does have /dev/random it's a patch # 112438-01

-- 
Ian Miller
Sr. Systems Engineer
University of Chicago
[email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]