Subject: Apache 2.0.36, load balancer and SSLMutex

From: Guan Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:48:36 +0200

Hi,

I am having some problems with Apache 2.0.36. We have 4 webservers behind a
load balancer (Cisco LocalDirector) that is running mod_ssl. Apache was
configured with a simple ./configure --enable-ssl --enable-proxy.

When I try to run SSLMutex sem on each server, it is able to respond to 3
or 4 requests, but then stops working. There is no response. and log
messages like these appear:

ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:11 29273] [warn]  Failed to acquire
global mutex lock
ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:11 29273] [warn]  Failed to release
global mutex lock
ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:12 29276] [warn]  Failed to acquire
global mutex lock
ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:12 29276] [warn]  Failed to release
global mutex lock
ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:12 29277] [warn]  Failed to acquire
global mutex lock
ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:12 29277] [warn]  Failed to release
global mutex lock

Things only work when I use SSLMutex none, but the documentation advises me
not to do this. Is there anything that I should do?
-- 
Guan Yang / http://unicast.org/ \ [email-masked] | +45 7020 6916
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

> ssl_engine_log:[10/May/2002 15:33:11 29273] [warn]  Failed to acquire

This is a known bug that should be fixed in a few days.  Please see
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8124

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Charlottesville, VA

---

From: Patrick Herborn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:38:27 +0100

On Fri, 10 May 2002 15:48:36 +0200

> not to do this. Is there anything that I should do?

I have found that the autoconf tries to use System V semaphores on Linux, and
this is a little broken, so it tends to hand the SSL engine. I had to alter the
configure script so that it fell back to using fcntl / flock type mutexes. Once
that was done, everything started to work again. Dunno if you are running a
similar setup, but if you are it's worth a try...

Cheers,

Pat.