Subject: [Hint: Stop button pressed...] (errno: 104)

From: Horst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:20:17 -0700 (PDT)

Recently, I noticed an increase of those (errno: 104) -see bottom.
A bit of research on the subject only pointed me to messages that
discussed the issue of 'How to handle this in log files?' along the line
of how to ignore it.

A) What I didn't see is any EXPLANATION about what this really MEANS ?
 (obviously it's not a 'normal' error message which contains a client
IP; also those logs come in groups of several per second -- no *regular*
user can do it that consistently)

B) If benign, is there a way to suppress those messages ?

I apologize if this has been discussed recently -- I am new to the list.

Thanks much ........................ Horst

I recently updated with   mod_ssl-2.8.10-1.i386.rpm

[root@ns root]# httpd -V
Server version: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux)
Server built:   Jun 19 2002 17:51:45
Server's Module Magic Number: 12345...
Server compiled with....
 -D EAPI
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="/var/run/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/httpd/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf"
[root@ns root]#

[Fri Sep 13 07:49:55 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by
system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:55 2002] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 104)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:55 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by
system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:55 2002] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 104)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:56 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by
system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:56 2002] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 104)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:56 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by
system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:56 2002] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 104)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:57 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by
system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
[Fri Sep 13 07:49:57 2002] [error] System: Connection reset by peer
(errno: 104)

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Elías Halldór Ágústsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:16:41 -0000 (GMT)

Horst sagði:
> Recently, I noticed an increase of those (errno: 104) -see bottom. A bit
> of research on the subject only pointed me to messages that

I strongly suspect that this is due to broken MSIE with 56-bit encryption
only. Which brings me to a problem that I can't seem to be able to solve,
which is that I can't get mod_ssl and weak-crypto MSIE to negotiate an SSL
session. It always hangs and if the (ill-named) "friendly HTTP error
messages" are enabled in MSIE, it gives the error "DNS error or host not
found".

So, what I will do is to let MSIE users be able to choose between http and
https on a page which explains the problem and what users can do to to
solve it. 56-bit encryption is too close to no encryption at all, anyway.

-- 
This space is not intentionally left not blank.

---

From: "Robert J. Pope" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 2002 08:53:56 -0400

I had the same problem. Within your "IfDefine HAVE_SSL" directive, be
certain you have the following three lines.

<IfDefine HAVE_SSL>
  Listen 443
  SSLSessionCache dbm:/var/log/httpd/ssl_gcache_data
  SSLSessionCacheTimeout 600
</IfDefine>

- Robert

---

From: Thomas Lackner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:11:40 -0400

FYI,

I had a huge problem with this on a client's site and could only remedy 
it by *downgrading* to an old version of OpenSSL which did not have this 
problem. I tried all the other solutions I could find.

This is definitely a bug in the software.

- tom

-- 
[email-masked]