Subject: Apache 2.0.35 with SSL - wont start

From: "paul priestman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:59:25 +0000

Hello all,

I have downloaded and installed Apache 2.0.35 with SSL.  I have configured 
the httpd.conf as they suggest in ssl.conf.  However, when i try to start 
apachectl i get the following message:

(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down
./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

Has anyone any ideas what i'm doing wrong - i have succesfully got ssl 
working with apache 1.3.22.

Thanks for your time

Paul

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:12:42 -0400 (EDT)

You're not trying to run two httpd's on the same set of ports are you, the
old one running while trying to fire up the new?

that's what the error suggests I think...

thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:07:56 +0200

> ./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

To bind to a port < 1024, you have to start apache as root. Are you
doing this?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.