Subject: RE: Apache-SSL vs mod_ssl

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:26:08 +0100

>-----Original Message-----
>From: rmck [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
>Whats the benefit of mod_ssl compared to Apache-SSL???
>

One has got "mod" in its name and the other hasn't :-)

I am not expert enough to comment on the two implementations of SSL
technology so I restrict myself to the useability differences:

Apache-SSL is a monolithic program with the SSL functionality hard-coded
into apache. This leads to a large binary. Also, many SSL directives are
*required* in the config in order for it to work. 

mod_ssl allows you to add or remove SSL functionality to an already
working apache (assuming you compiled with EAPI and DSO). So you have
more flexibility.

In a single server set-up, there is probably little to choose from
between the two, however, I could imagine a multi-apache environment
where you wanted some servers with SSL and some without. mod_ssl would
be a good choice there.

As far as I can see, there is no difference between Apache-SSL and
apache with mod_ssl statically compiled - both lead to a monolithic,
SSL-aware binary.

Finally, in my experience, mod_ssl tracks apache updates really fast.
Usually a new mod_ssl is ready within a day of a new apache version.
Apache-SSL tends to be slower and is sometimes a few versions behind

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]