Subject: RE: There appears to be a major memory leak in mod_ssl/OpenSSL

From: "Avery, Ken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:00:53 -0600

I have tried the shmcb and that does not help, I think the real issue
has to do with worker MPM verses prefork MPM. Note: Linux worker MPM and
Windows mpm_winnt MPM are threaded verses prefork MPM which has its own
memory space.

I will try the patches Joe recommended and see what happens.

Thanks Joe,
Ken

BTW - I am using 2.0.48, I just download the latest and see the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Orton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:13 AM
To: Avery, Ken
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: There appears to be a major memory leak in mod_ssl/OpenSSL

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:02:06AM -0600, Avery, Ken wrote:
> I have been tracking this down for a couple of weeks and thought it 
> was in the code my company is developing and it appears that is not 
> the case. In order to eliminate our code from the mix and isolate the 
> problem here is what I did: This was done on Windows and Linux:
> 1. Download the latest Apache from www.apache.org. 
> 2. Download the latest OpenSSL from www.openssl.org. 
> 3. Build them both, with apache add the mod_ssl option and also for
> Linux use the MPM worker module. 

Are you using 2.0.48?  Could be one of these two bugs:

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=25667
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=25659

Try using the 'shmcb' session cache instead of dbm.

Regards,

joe
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Avery, Ken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:05:47 -0600

I just tried the 2 patches listed below and they did not make a
difference, using mpm_winnt and worker MPM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Orton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:13 AM
To: Avery, Ken
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: There appears to be a major memory leak in mod_ssl/OpenSSL

Regards,

joe