Subject: test installed certificates

From: "Arnaud De Timmerman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:35:59 +0200

hi,

i don't know if this list is the best for my question, my deepest apologies if
not

is there a way to know thanks to apache and/or modssl if a given root ca is
installed on the client side (browser) ?

what i want to avoid is a page like :
*******************************
click here to install our root CA ___________________
*******************************
if the given file is already installed

thanks all

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Shiraz Esat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:11:35 +0100

Arnaud,

If the given file is already installed browsers won't display any 
error/warning messages. Messages are only displayed if the browser hasn't 
installed your certificate. This problem is unlikely to occur if you get a 
certificate from a well-known issuing authority (Verisign, Thawte, etc), 
and more likely than not to occur if you use a self-signed certificate.

If your 'audience' are limitted, you could either send them a 'client 
certificate', or reassure them that when they see the message for the first 
time that nothing is wrong and they should agree to continue into your 
secure site.

As to initial question (can the server determine if the root ca is 
installed on the browser), I doubt it.

Hope that helps :)
Shiraz

-----Original Message-----
From:	Arnaud De Timmerman [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, April 04, 2002 3:36 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	test installed certificates

hi,

i don't know if this list is the best for my question, my deepest apologies 
if
not

thanks all