Subject: [BugDB] apache/tomcat/mod_ssl 304 error (PR#660)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 00:21:19 +0100 (MET)

Full_Name: 
Version: 2.8.5
OS: Solaris 2.8
Submission from: (NULL) (199.46.199.231)

Configured the mod_ssl with 

./configure \
"--with-apache=../apache_1.3.22" \
"--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \
"--enable-shared=ssl" \
"--enable-module=most" \
"--enable-shared=max" \
"--enable-rule=SSL_SDBM" \
"--with-crt=/usr/local/ssl/misc/WebServer/server.crt" \
"--with-key=/usr/local/ssl/misc/WebServer/server.key" \

I also created and installed mod_jk (part of tomcat) after making and installing
apache with mod_ssl.  I am running tomcat 3.3a.  ...since version 4.0 does not
support load balancing...  reloading the http://hostname/examples/jsp/index.html
page periodically will give a strange result.  The top part of the page contains
the results header from the previous request.  This seems to only occur with
Netscape 4.7x and not IE 5.x  The following is the page when the problem
occurs.

Error: 304
Location: /examples/jsp/index.html

HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:55:08 GMT Server:
Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_jk/1.1.0
mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b Content-Length: 121 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=99
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html 

Error: 304
Location: /examples/jsp/index.html

I have been able to determine that the error does not occur with non-tomcat
pages with "./apachectl startssl" and also does not occur at all with
"./apachectl start" (instead of startssl).  Even tomcat works without the
mod_ssl enabled.  It seems that the combination of using tomcat and mod_ssl have
created a unique condition on 304 errors.  If you hold the shift down, the
problems disappears since there are only 200 error codes returned.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]