Subject: Apache, ssl, and solaris

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:15:40 -0700

There are at least two of us battling this problem with the same errors. Dave is attempting apache2039 with ssl on Solaris 9 and I am trying it on Solaris 8 with the exact same errors. This is his message from earlier today which is the same as my errors. I have reinstalled openssl 096d and used the apache ./configure with the same options as he with the same results. Mr. Wooley indicated that my virtual hosts were using the default settings which was causing a call to vhost.c. However, the entire Section 3 of httpd.conf is commented out. What are we doing wrong? Thank you for putting up with this flurry of emails.

Compiled and installed openssl-0.9.6d

Compiled and installed Apache 2.0.39 ( ./configure 
--prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl 
--enable-rewrite )

Added custom cert

Tried starting Apache without SSL, works but get an SSLSessionCache warning:
# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
# more error_log
[Tue Jun 25 16:22:17 2002] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured 
[hint: SSLSessionCache]
[Tue Jun 25 16:22:19 2002] [notice] Apache/2.0.39 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.39 
OpenSSL/0.9.6d configured -- resuming normal operations

Tried starting Apache with SSL, crashes
# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl startssl
[Tue Jun 25 16:21:32 2002] [crit] [Tue Jun 25 16:21:32 2002] file 
vhost.c, line 232, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS" failed
Abort - core dumped

Any ideas

Thanks

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:04:07 -0400 (EDT)

>From vhost.c:

    if (strcmp(host, "*") == 0) {
        rv = apr_sockaddr_info_get(&my_addr, "0.0.0.0", APR_INET, port,
                                   0, p);
        ap_assert(rv == APR_SUCCESS); /* must be bug or out of storage */
    }
    else if (strcasecmp(host, "_default_") == 0
        || strcmp(host, "255.255.255.255") == 0) {
        rv = apr_sockaddr_info_get(&my_addr, "255.255.255.255", APR_INET,
                                    port, 0, p);
-->     ap_assert(rv == APR_SUCCESS); /* must be bug or out of storage */
    }
    else { ...

Your assert popped on the line that I prefixed with "-->".  Try changing
your vhosts to not use "_default_".  I forget exactly which configuration
combination causes that error, but it's definitely been seen before.

--Cliff

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:16:05 -0400 (EDT)

What are the settings you have for this param in your httpd.conf?  That is
the hint to resolution the warning is giving.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: Dave Kimberley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:31:00 +0100

> Your assert popped on the line that I prefixed with "-->".  Try
 > changing your vhosts to not use "_default_".  I forget exactly which
 > configuration combination causes that error, but it's definitely been
 > seen before.

Hi

I've replaced _default_ in ssl.conf and all now working.

Thanks

Dave