Subject: Win32 Binary Builds

From: Paul Christmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:15:30 -0600

I'm just installing my first Apache server on a W2K box, and I'd like to 
include SSL support.  From browsing this newsgroup and reading the 
apache docs, it appears that the following statements are true (please 
correct me if I'm wrong):

1.  mod_ssl source is now bundled in Apache 2.X
2.  No binary version of Apache 2.X is available with mod_ssl support.
3.  Compiling Apache source requires MSVC 5

I've found several links (thanks primarily to "hunter" for links and 
instructions) to downloading SSL executables built for Windows, and am 
starting to play with them.  But I am left with two questions:

1.  Why isn't there an Apache 2.X binary distribution with SSL?  As best 
I can tell, there is an issue with export laws.  But why doesn't that 
same issue apply to non-windows builds?

2.  I don't have (nor do I want to purchase) a MS license.  Without 
that, is there any way I can compile Apache 2.X?  (I have and use 
cygwin's gcc and make if that matters)

Thanks,

Paul Christmann

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Nov 2002 09:20:46 -0500

> 1.  mod_ssl source is now bundled in Apache 2.X

true

> 2.  No binary version of Apache 2.X is available with mod_ssl support.

true (sort of ... but) I am providing binaries

(preferred)

http://hunter.campbus.com/Apache_1.3.27-Mod_SSL_2.8.12-OpenSSL_0.9.6g-Win32.zip
http://hunter.campbus.com/Openssl-0.9.6g-Win32.zip

http://hunter.campbus.com/Apache_2.0.43-OpenSSL_0.9.6g-Win32.zip

or

(limited bandwidth)

http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache/Apache_1.3.27-Mod_SSL_2.8.12-OpenSSL_0.9.6g-Win32.zip
http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache/Openssl-0.9.6g-Win32.zip

http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache/Apache_2.0.43-OpenSSL_0.9.6g-Win32.zip

> 3.  Compiling Apache source requires MSVC 5

false - I do not want to split hairs but it is built with MSVC 6

Also, I think Apache can be built with Cygwin and Mingw32 but I have not
done either yet.  I have Mingw32 compiling simple Win32 applications on
my Debian Linux box and will be trying eventually to build the Apache
binaries from Linux (cross-compile). Currently I use MSVC 6, MASM,
Cygwin(Bison,Flex,Awk), and Perl to build Apache.

Where I am employed I distribute as many as 20,000 Apaches - my Win32
binaries - they are compiled with SSL but not configured to use it. 

> same issue apply to non-windows builds?
 
There is some uncertainty I suppose about the export laws, like you
say.  I do not know why this does not apply to non-windows.  

> cygwin's gcc and make if that matters)
When I updated my Cygwin I think there was the opportunity to get the
source and build Apache.  I did not do it that way since I have all of
the other tools.

I think you should give both Mingw32 and Cygwin another look.   

> Paul Christmann

hunter