Subject: RE: Hey, dude, it's me ^_^ :P

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:36:00 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: madhon [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, 30 March 2004 16:20
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Hey, dude, it's me ^_^ :P
> 
> 
> > inetnum:      202.188.0.0 - 202.188.255.255
> > netname:      TMNET-MY-1
> > descr:        TMnet Telekom Malaysia
> > country:      MY
> > admin-c:      TA35-AP
> > tech-c:       TA35-AP
> > remarks:      Send abuse email to [email-masked]
> > remarks:      [email-masked] or [email-masked]
> > mnt-by:       APNIC-HM
> > mnt-lower:    TM-NET-AP
> > changed:      [email-masked] 19990526
> > changed:      [email-masked] 20010124
> > status:       ALLOCATED PORTABLE
> > source:       APNIC
> >
> > Can someone at Telekom Malaysia fix this please?
> 
> instead of asking here you are better off emailing to 
> [email-masked] just
> like it says in the remarks

They were cc'ed in the message so they have been asked. The list was
informed so that they could see that something useful was being done about
this problem. Now would you mind telling me how useful your post was?

Thank you.

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

Shameless movie plug - go see the Passion of the Christ!

- 
DISCLAIMER: 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended 
recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the 
content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the 
sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it 
and any attachments from your system. 

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by 
its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
We therefore recommend you scan all attachments. 

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and 
any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent 
those of RNIB. 

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227 

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "madhon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:07:34 +0100

> this problem.

Fair enough i didnt notice that (wasnt looking that much either)

> Now would you mind telling me how useful your post was?

would you mind telling me how usefull that attitude is ?

---

From: Geoff Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:51:10 -0500

> would you mind telling me how usefull that attitude is ?

whoah ... there's only two things worse than being inundated with spam;
  (1) being inundated with tit-for-tats that escalate into flame-wars 
through a strange interplay of ASCII's inability to convey emotive 
context and an ego's inability to remain rational in a public forum.
  (2) when (1) stems from trying to deal with an inundation of spam.

John, thanks for trying to deal with the problem. Madhon, chill - you 
pestered John on the mail list because you hadn't noticed the CC line, a 
simple ack would have calmly ended things there. John's dealing with 
spam, like every other frustrated list user these days, so you'd expect 
him to get irritable when someone adds to the bandwidth by (mistakenly) 
hassling him for having tried to help - why bait further and risk turning 
an anti-spam effort into a flame-war? (Note, the question is rhetorical, 
I don't need a response unless it's to do something useful for modssl, 
against spam, or both). FWIW, I've made far worse cock-ups on public 
lists than you just did, and I'm sure I've many more in store for me yet, 
so don't feel attacked to have goofed up (and therefore, don't feel any 
need to counter-attack).

I apologise for adding to the bandwidth, but I think this kind of 
frustration is simmering everywhere right now with the amount of spam and 
worms/virii floating round - we need to adjust our methods for handling 
this if we're to avoid crossing the noise-to-signal event horizon that 
usenet long since disappeared over. The obvious starting point is to not 
add to the list noise, except perhaps to collaborate on solving the 
problem ...

... so to add to what John already contributed, I'd like to suggest that 
those of you who are pissed about this sort of thing should learn to read 
and analyse mail headers (if you don't already know how) and do what John 
just did. If you don't know or you're not sure what you're doing, wait 
for someone to do what John did (and perhaps wait a while in case someone 
else finds a problem or correction) and then *privately* do the same - 
ie. mail the appropriate abuse-reporting address ([email-masked] in this 
case).

Cheers,
Geoff

-- 
Geoff Thorpe
[email-masked]
http://www.geoffthorpe.net/