Subject: Shared mod_ssl problems

From: Larry Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:14:22 +0000

Hi

I'm attempting to load mod_ssl into apache as a dynamic module.

I am using apache 2.0.44 (which comes with its own ssl module) and OpenSSL 
version 0.9.7a.

I'm using red hat linux ver 7.1. uname -r gives the following output :
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.16-22 #1 Tue Aug 22 16:49:06 EDT 2000 i686 
unknown.

I have configured and built apache to enable shared objects and include ssl 
and have set up the configuration file to use ssl (this might be incorrect, 
but I don't believe that would be related to the problem I have here).

When I try to start apache I get an error message :

Syntax error on line 251 of /home/Larry/WebServer/Apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /home/Larry/WebServer/Apache/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: 
undefined symbol: X509_free

 From what I can gather this is because I've built a shared mod_ssl against 
against a static OpenSSL.

Ideally I would like to link ssl dynamically and I guess the solution is to 
use shared openssl libraries (libcrypto.so and libssl.so). Does anyone know :
a) How (or even if) I can build a shared OpenSSL (or where I can find out)
b) How I link these shared libraries into apache (can I use the standard 
LoadModule directive for the OpenSSL libs, or do I need some special SSL 
configuration ?) - or where I can find this out.

Cheers
Larry

---

From: "Jirka Vejrazka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:17:22 -0500

> Do I have to re-compile zlib ?

  It depends - check your lib directory (/usr/local/lib at my system). If you can find libz.so.1.1.4, then you're fine. If you have older version, you probably want to upgrade, since older version has a security bug and there is no point in having up-to-date OpenSSL based on vulnerable zlib.

 Jirka Vejrazka
-- 
__________________________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]