Subject: private key not found/server cert sign failed

From: "A. Putnam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:01:59 -0600

Can anyone tell me what this error means and how to fix it? I'm running apache 
1.3.26 with mod_ssl 2.8.10 on a SuSE8.1 box.

/etc/init.d/apache start returned 7 (Program is not running.)
Starting httpd [ Mailman PHP4 SSL ]Apache/1.3.26 mod_ssl/2.8.10 (Pass Phrase 
Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide us with the pass phrases.

Server matrix.pelathe.org:443 (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:
Apache:mod_ssl:Error: Private key not found.
**Stopped
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
..failed

How do I get it to take my pass phrases? I must have skipped a file because 
insofar I've given the same phrase to every file that's asked for it. Did I 
input the wrong information in one of the .conf files maybe? I get the 
feeling that this is almost supidly simple to fix, but I just can't seem to 
get it right. 

It may or may not have something to do with this error I received when 
recently self-signing my certificate: 

1 out of 1 certificate requests certified, commit? [y/n]y
Write out database with 1 new entries
Data Base Updated
CA verifying: server.crt <-> CA cert
server.crt: /C=US/ST=KS/L=Lawrence/O=Pelathe Community Resource 
Center/CN=www.pelathe.org/Email=[email-masked]

*this one>>>> error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate

/C=US/ST=KS/L=Lawrence/O=Pelathe Community Resource 
Center/CN=www.pelathe.org/Email=[email-masked]

*and this one>>>> error 7 at 0 depth lookup:certificate signature failure

Again, I have no clue why it failed these checks or how to fix them. Any help 
would be appreciated. Thanks.

-- 
A. Putnam
Assistant IT Administrator
Pelathe Community Resource Center

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Oleg Lyebyedyev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:22:36 +0200

Hello,

I have following option:
SSLVerifyClient optional

(optional_no_ca - same result)

My servlet analizes data from cert. With correct certs all is ok.
Somebody without cert also has access to my page and I know that he hasn't a
cert, but when expired cert is used then server error is occured.
What is problem? Can I create ssl configuration to give access for all certs
and to get cert info.

Thank You
Oleg Lebedev

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:57:08 +0100

> What is problem? Can I create ssl configuration to give access for all certs
Currently that is not possible afaict.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall

---

From: "Oleg Lyebyedyev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:58:32 +0200

Ok. Is there exists some way to redirect user with expired cert to other
page?