Subject: HTTPS documents caching

From: "Tomas Hulek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:15:24 +0100

I have a question which concerning certain performance problems we are
having with large HTTP/HTTPS documents.

When our application (with extensive Java applet code) is run via HTTP, the
browser caches all HTTP documents nicely (including HTML, CSS, GIF, JPG,
JAR, CAB, XML ...). When the application is run next time, the browser
indicates what documents it already has and the server just responds with
the '304 Not Modified' message.

However, when the application runs under HTTPS, documents of type JAR, CAB,
XML (which we call from JavaScript on HTML pages) are not cached on the
client at all.

It it something that can be changed at the server level? Or is it purely a
WWW browser issue (in that case - where to find exact description of the
bahavior)?

Thank you,

Tomas Hulek

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Alberto Guglielmo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:58:57 +0100

In IE 6.0:
Internet Options --> Advanced
Look in the section "Security" (? I have an italian browser....) there is a
checkbox about saving encrypted pages on disk. Uncheck ;)
In Netscape 6.2 .... I did not find any configurable item (and I did not
make any check...)
Regards

Alberto Guglielmo
[email-masked]
Key Fingerprint:7EAF 9E34 2838 7C6B EE47  E8F0 FFC5 3CBC 90AA 5EEE
PGP Keys at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]Per conto di Tomas Hulek
Inviato: giovedi 21 febbraio 2002 10.15
A: [email-masked]
Oggetto: HTTPS documents caching

Thank you,

Tomas Hulek