Subject: fqhostname found, pass phrase gone

From: Mike Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 01:08:02 -0500 (EST)

I believe what you are looking for is the SSLPassPhraseDialog
directive, typically used in the ssl.conf file.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslpassphrasedialog

You can take measures to obscure the passphrase or private
key in various ways but you can't protect from someone who's
gotten root access on your system and knows what they're doing.
There are numerous tricks they can use to get the private key or
passphrase though it takes a little work.

If just want the passphrase in a file, you can use the
exec:/path/to/program
option where the program is a simple shell script or similar
that echos the file to stdout for Apache.

This trick is useful also if you're debugging your own passPhrase
program like I recently did. That allows you to verify the pass phrase
independently of your program.

Later,          "A rainbow is only part of a circle." San Joser, CA
     ^ ^        Software Consultants:        http://www.migration.com/
     O o        Permanent:                   [email-masked]
  ===-o-===     My catbox:                   http://www.madkatz.com/
Ack! Phththpph!

2001 Clean Air Champion http://www.baaqmd.gov/pie/press/cachamp01.pdf

My True Zero Emission Vehicle (TZEV) GM EV1 and my home are powered
by the 100% renewable, Zero Emissions Electricity (ZEE) 30kWh/day
Solar Electric (PV) system on my roof which will pay for itself in
about 6 years, 12% annualized return on investment:
http://www.madkatz.com/pv/index.html

Sometimes I see gas cars... In my rearview mirror! http://www.gmev.com/

President, Electric Auto Association, San Jose Chapter
http://www.geocities.com/sjeaa/

EV List Archive Owner,Admin  http://www.crest.org/discussion/ev/current/
Electric Vehicle Email List Instructions: (EVList members: Bookmark it!)
http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]