Subject: RE: can't load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so intoserver/usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so undefined symbol x509_free

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Venkat Reddy Valluri wrote:

> As you told I checked the directory /usr/local/lib for libcrypto.so and
> libssl.so, but I found out only libcrypto.a and libssl.a,
>   can you please let me know how to configure openssl to get these modules
> shared like libcrypto.so and libssl.so

Frankly it's always been a bit of a pain for me.  The default Makefile
doesn't seem to behave quite right.

You can try this:

make build-shared

But then you have to install them by hand because the $(SHARED_LIBS)
variable has no value in the default Makefile so make install doesn't see
them.  Alternatively, you can edit the Makefile as follows:

--- Makefile    2002-03-17 20:03:36.000000000 -0500
+++ Makefile.new        2002-08-19 12:44:49.000000000 -0400
@@ -183,7 +183,7 @@
 LIBS=   libcrypto.a libssl.a
 SHARED_CRYPTO=libcrypto$(SHLIB_EXT)
 SHARED_SSL=libssl$(SHLIB_EXT)
-SHARED_LIBS=
+SHARED_LIBS=libcrypto$(SHLIB_EXT) libssl$(SHLIB_EXT)
 SHARED_LIBS_LINK_EXTS=.so.$(SHLIB_MAJOR) .so

 GENERAL=        Makefile

and then run:

make clean
make
make install

and it should just work.  I think.  Haven't tried it recently.  :)  Let me
know how it goes.  And if anybody else out there knows something about
this that I'm missing (which is possible), please speak up.  :-]

--Cliff
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]