Subject: RE: virtual host port 443

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:44:48 +0200

>From: ann wallace [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
>i have one virtualhost set up to use port 443, but for some 
>reason if you go
>to any of the virtualhost set up on port 80, via https it 
>defaults to the
>one host set up on port 443.

Of course it does. Your statement:

	"if you go to any of the virtualhost set up on port 80, via https" 

is mistaken. If you say "https://www.blah.blah/" then the browser will assume port 443 because you said "https". At this stage, the browser doesn't yet know that the server has a virtual host on port 80 called "www.blah.blah". So it makes a request to the server ip address on port 443 and so you get the SSL site.

The problem is that your statement isn't true. You could actually do what you say by entering https://www.blah.blah:80/ in your browser. Now your browser will try to establish an SSL connection on port 80. This will fail with a server error because your server does not speak SSL on that port.

rgds,

Owen Boyle
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]