Subject: RE: SSL and vhosts

From: David Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:29:48 -0800

What allows me to host several SSL sites with seperate servernames on a
single machine without giving users mismatched names/certificate messages
is:

<VirtualHost IPaddr1:443>
    DocumentRoot <<document root for this host>>
    ServerName www.hosta.domain.com <<the hostname for this vhost>> 
    ServerAdmin [email-masked] << the adminname for this vhost>>
    ...
    << all the ssl stuff  certificates for www.hosta.domain.com >>
    ...
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost IPaddr2:443>
    DocumentRoot <<document root for this host>>
    ServerName www.hostb.domain.com <<the hostname for this vhost>> 
    ServerAdmin [email-masked] << the adminname for this vhost>>
    ...
    << all the ssl stuff certificates for www.hostb.domain.com >>
    ...
</VirtualHost>

DNS must resolve
 www.hosta.domain.com to IPaddr1 
 www.hostb.domain.com to IPaddr2 

unless you are behind a firewall using address translation, 
then DNS must resolve
 www.hosta.domain.com to the IP address 
                      that your firewall will resolve to IPaddr1
 www.hostb.domain.com to the IP address 
                      that your firewall will resolve to IPaddr2

David Marshall

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Gonzales [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 9:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: SSL and vhosts

I also am running Apache 1.3.23 +mod_ssl 2.8.7.  Along with mod_perl
1.26 +openssl 0.9.6c +php 4.1.2: I've had no known problems.  I also
have the expected certificate complaint on the first time when a user
visits one of our secure sites.  The entire process for installation can
be viewed at
http://www.eng.lsu.edu/installations/apache.html.

Since I'm new to apache, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Steve Gonzales
Louisiana State University		[email-masked]
Division of Engineering Services	225.578.6069 (v)
3216G CEBA					225.578.5990 (f)
Baton Rouge, LA  70803

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Hunt,Keith A
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 10:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SSL and vhosts

Please pardon me if this is a dumb question.  I have read that SSL and
name-based vhosts cannot be done, yet I set it up and it seems to be
working OK, apart from the expected complaints about mismatched host
name and server certificate.  Am I missing something?  I am running
Apache 1.3.23 and modssl 2.8.7. on Linux

Keith Hunt  330.972.2968  [email-masked]
Internet & Server Systems
The University of Akron 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Jeff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 03:37:24 +1000

Which, as has been pointed out already, is NOT (yes NOT) name-based virtual
hosting..

It IS IP-based - notice that you show each VHost with a different IP
address..

Rgds
Jeff

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Marshall" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 3:29 AM
Subject: RE: SSL and vhosts

>                       that your firewall will resolve to IPaddr2
<snipped>