Subject: RE: modssl for Apache 2.0

From: [email-masked] (George Walsh)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:07:50 -0400

Chuck:

With Apache 2.0, mod_ssl is a part of the 'whole'. The build is a far simpler process, and the server, at least in my experience, is much crisper in terms of response.

As for windows, that is NOT my cup of tea. We are a Micro-soft Free zone here, so I cannot comment on the peculiarities you might experience in your environment. I really do not know hy you would want to run a secure server on top of a windows box, but then I admit to a happy ignorance about it, at least :-)

George

>I see all the activity on the list about Apache 2.0 and modssl.  Where can I get the necessary "stuff" for Apache 2.0.  I don't see it on the modssl, openssl or Apache web sites.  I need to get ssl up on Apache on Windows 2000.
>
>
>Chuck
>

-- 
George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,
DSC Directional Services Corp
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

__________________________________________________________________
Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:29:16 -0400 (EDT)

When is apache 2.0 coming out of beta and into primetime?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, George Walsh wrote:

> As for windows, that is NOT my cup of tea. We are a Micro-soft Free zone
> here, so I cannot comment on the peculiarities you might experience in
> your environment. I really do not know hy you would want to run a secure
> server on top of a windows box, but then I admit to a happy ignorance
> about it, at least :-)

FWIW, in 2.0, the Win32 port of Apache is just as solid and performant as
the Unix port.  (Of course, it is intended for WinNT, 2k, and XP, not
the consumer-level ones (95, 98, and ME)...)

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Apache HTTP Server Project

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:30:04 -0400 (EDT)

> When is apache 2.0 coming out of beta and into primetime?

How did you manage to miss the party?  :)  It went GA last week with the
release of 2.0.35.

--Cliff

---

From: Eli Marmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:31:11 +0300

> When is apache 2.0 coming out of beta and into primetime?

April 6, 2002.

-- 
Eli Marmor
[email-masked]
CTO, Founder
Netmask (El-Mar) Internet Technologies Ltd.
__________________________________________________________
Tel.:   +972-9-766-1020          8 Yad-Harutzim St.
Fax.:   +972-9-766-1314          P.O.B. 7004
Mobile: +972-50-23-7338          Kfar-Saba 44641, Israel
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:50:52 -0400 (EDT)

Lookin at it now.  So, are compile directives pretty much the same, as for
pointing at the ssl source and mm source trees?  The docs are not as clear
on this as Ralf has them in the mod-ssl structures <smile>.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:16:36 -0400 (EDT)

> on this as Ralf has them in the mod-ssl structures <smile>.

Look at ./configure --help for starters.  Hint --with-ssl=DIR is probably
what you're looking for.

Oh, and Apache 2.0's mod_ssl doesn't use mm anymore... it uses the shared
memory support that's built in to APR.

--Cliff

---

From: "Jeremy Walton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:49:28 -0400

This is the problem I'm have with Windows XP.  Now it CAN be fixed by
regenerating a cert until one works with XP but this is such a hastle as
I have to do a web machine at least once a week.  But this is what I get
when I have a cert that doesn't like to work with XP.  I know they
released a so called patch here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314864 .  This
is what I get in the log ssl_engine_log.

[10/Apr/2002 13:53:16 21206] [info]  Connection to child 0 established
(server www.yahoo.com:443, client 0.0.0.0)
[10/Apr/2002 13:53:16 21206] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 1160 bytes of
entropy
[10/Apr/2002 13:53:16 21206] [info]  Connection: Client IP: 0.0.0.0,
Protocol: SSLv2, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)
[10/Apr/2002 13:53:16 21206] [info]  Connection to child 0 closed with
standard shutdown (server www.yahoo.com:443, client 0.0.0.0)

As you can see the connection from the browser terminates immediatly
after the encryption has been determined.  This happens for
512/1024/2048 etc etc etc.  I've found no consistancy.  At least with
what I can see.  Does anyone know whats going on here?  

Jeremy Walton
DICE Corporation

---

From: "Chuck Goehring" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:39:26 -0700

George,

It wasn't really my decision to go with Windows.  There are many
Unix-phobics out there.  Have peculiar combination of requirements that
causes the need for ssl - Not doing ecomerce.

Chuck

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Walsh" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 10:07 PM
Subject: RE: modssl for Apache 2.0

> Chuck:
>
> With Apache 2.0, mod_ssl is a part of the 'whole'. The build is a far
simpler process, and the server, at least in my experience, is much crisper
in terms of response.
> As for windows, that is NOT my cup of tea. We are a Micro-soft Free zone
here, so I cannot comment on the peculiarities you might experience in your
environment. I really do not know hy you would want to run a secure server
on top of a windows box, but then I admit to a happy ignorance about it, at
least :-)
>
> George
>
> >I see all the activity on the list about Apache 2.0 and modssl.  Where
can I get the necessary "stuff" for Apache 2.0.  I don't see it on the
modssl, openssl or Apache web sites.  I need to get ssl up on Apache on
Windows 2000.
> Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas.
Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/