Subject: Apache and Mod_SSL

From: Eduardo Fresno <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:53:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me on this issue.

I'm trying to make Apache a secure server by adding
SSL performance. There may exist two main ways to do
it:
1) Mod_SSL
2) Apache-SSL

I've tried out the first option, but during the
process, I've been asked for the 'nmake' compiler. I
don't have this compiler and I don't want to pay for
it, as I think it is provided with Visual C++ ($$$). 

So I was wondering if there exist another way to make
it. ??

If not, I'm thinking about using Apache-SSL instead of
Mod_SSL, in spite of the fact that most people may
prefer Mod_SSL.

Is it worth using Apache-SSL instead of Mod_SSL?
I mean, are there big differences between both two
options? Which one is the best?

Thanks in advance,

--
Edd.

_______________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Messenger
Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente.
http://messenger.yahoo.es
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian C. Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:43:38 -0500 (EST)

> it, as I think it is provided with Visual C++ ($$$). 

I presume by this you are trying to compile Apache with mod (or Apache-) SSL on
Windows, right? I am not very familiar with attempting to use Apache with SSL
on Windows, but I believe that it is set up only to compile with Microsoft
Visual Studio (or Visual C++ or whatever M$ is calling it this week).

> options? Which one is the best?

If I'm not mistaken mod-ssl is derived from Apache-SSL. I don't know what the
main differences are.

- Julian

-- 
Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc.   <[email-masked]>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter St., Suite 700, Toronto, ON
Tel: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959

istream >> ostream >> "We all scream for ice cream";

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:11:01 +0100

> If I'm not mistaken mod-ssl is derived from Apache-SSL. I don't know what the

Apache-SSL is the original. It is an expansion of the apache source-code
to include SSL functionality. When you compile Apache_SSL, you get a
monolithic binary which can do SSL if required. If you don't require
SSL, you don't need to use it (obviously) but the binary can't be made
smaller.

mod_ssl is indeed derived from Apache-SSL and is two things: 
- an extension to the apache API to allow the hook-in of an SSL module
- an SSL module for apache. 
The difference is that you now can load SSL functionality via DSO, much
as you dynamically load any other module. Having said that, a lot of
people compile-in mod_ssl...

As far as I am aware (having used both of them) there is no functional
difference. I would venture that mod_ssl is easier to install and it
could be that the support is better but that's asking for trouble...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

---

From: "lin geng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:28:32 -0500

You can use cygwin and it comes with openssl compiled.

Regards,

Lin Geng

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Eduardo Fresno
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 5:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Apache and Mod_SSL

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

--
Edd.