Subject: Multiple SSL server certificate with vhosting

From: "Pascal Rodrigue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:37:53 -0400

Hi,

  I’m using apache (Apache/1.3.19 (Win32) ) and mod_ssl (mod_ssl/2.8.1)
to provide security for web servers. We use one server for development
and we use multiple Virtual host on it. How can I use more than one
server certificate ? One for each different servername. I always got the
same certificate for each host and when the common name of the
certificate doesn’t match the servername I got a confirm message. Any
help appreciated, thanx

-------------------------------------------

Pascal Rodrigue

Analyste de l'informatique

Division de l'exploitation

Service de l'informatique et des télécommunications

Pavillon Louis-Jacques-Casault, local 2410
Université Laval, Québec, Canada,  G1K 7P4
Tél.: 418-656-2131 poste 13137, Fax: 418-656-7305
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

"La vie n'est pas que la somme des obstacle que l'on rencontre à chaque
jour. La vie, la vraie, c'est la manière dont on les franchit!"

Das Leben ist nicht nur die Summe des Hindernisses, daß man an jedem Tag
begegnet. Das Leben, das wahre, ist es die Art, von der man sie
überquert!

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:43:55 +0200

> certificate doesn’t match the servername I got a confirm message. Any
This is a FAQ - see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Ian Moon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:45:27 -0600 (MDT)

To use different ssl certificates for each virtual host, you
must bind the virtual host to a different ip address.

There may be a better solution for using a wildcard certificate,
but I don't have any experience with those.