Subject: Apache + mod_ssl - config/install

From: "Manoj Kithany" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:42:36 +0000

Hi Experts!

I want to INSTALL and CONFIGURE my APACHE 1.3.27 for SSL. SO, I got mod_ssl 
from the site and installed it using
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#pwd
/opt/freeware/src/packages/SOURCES/mod_ssl-2.8.11-1.3.27

# ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.27 
--with-ssl=/Downloads/openssl-0.9.6g --with-crt=/usr/local/ssl/bin/cert.cer 
--with-key=/usr/local/ssl/bin/private.key --prefix=/kit --enable-shared=ssl

#cd ..
#cd apache_1.3.27
#make
#make certificate
#make install
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This DOCUMENTATION was given in README file in the above directory.

Later when I check if my APACHE was configured for SSL by using:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
http_core.c
mod_env.c
mod_log_config.c
mod_mime.c
mod_negotiation.c
mod_status.c
mod_include.c
mod_autoindex.c
mod_dir.c
mod_cgi.c
mod_asis.c
mod_imap.c
mod_actions.c
mod_userdir.c
mod_alias.c
mod_access.c
mod_auth.c
mod_so.c
mod_setenvif.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /kit/bin/suexec
#
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen above, MOD_SSL Module is NOT LISTED above. When I 
Installed/configured (as shown above) I did not receive any ERROR - but 
still could NOT see if MOD_SSL was configured? Any suggestions/hints

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:55:34 -0500 (EST)

you used --enable-shared=ss, so mod-ssl is a shared module, not part of
the core compiled in stuff in the httpd binary you made.  Now you have to
load the module in the httpd.conf file and configure the ssl related
settings to get it to run for you when you apachectl startssl.

Most the settings and directives should be in the default httpd.conf file
generated in the make;makeinstall, and await you editing refinements.  the
man pages and online documentation at the apche and mod-ssl sites should
guide you through any settings not clarified fully in the comments in the
default httpd.conf file

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!