Subject: apache 2.0.39 w/SSL on HP-UX 11.0 ignores SSLRandomSeed setting

From: "V. T. Mueller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:33:47 +0200

Hello,

A recently built 2.0.39 fails to start with:
[Fri Jun 21 12:42:47 2002] [info] Init: Initializing OpenSSL library
[Fri Jun 21 12:42:47 2002] [info] Init: Seeding PRNG with 0 bytes of entropy
[Fri Jun 21 12:42:47 2002] [warn] Init: PRNG still contains not sufficient entropy!
[Fri Jun 21 12:42:47 2002] [info] Init: Generating temporary RSA private keys (512/1024 bits)
[Fri Jun 21 12:42:47 2002] [error] Init: Failed to generate temporary 512 bit RSA private key
Configuration Failed

Tracing revealed this behaviour:
[..]
write(8, "[ F r i   J u n   2 1   1 2 : 4 ".., 77) ....... = (77)
getpid() ................................................. = 23638 (23637)
open("/dev/urandom", O_RDONLY, 0666) ..................... ERR#2 ENOENT
getuid() ................................................. = 0 (0)
time(NULL) ............................................... = 1024656167
gettimeofday(0x7f7f8c08, NULL) ........................... = 0
write(8, "[ F r i   J u n   2 1   1 2 : 4 ".., 84) ....... = 84
[..]

To my surprise, this happens with the default configuration where
SSLRandomSeed is set to "builtin" and also when I change this
particular setting to point to the existing egd socket. It also
appears when the SSL include is commented out from httpd.conf .

Is there a bug in apache or mod_ssl or am I missing something here?

System is HP-UX 11.0, my build was:
CC=cc CFLAGS='+O3 +Onolimit -Ae' ./configure --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/opt/openssl/0.9.6d --enable-so --prefix=/opt/apache2

TIA,
Volker
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Volker T. Mueller

Continum AG                                  Tel. +49 761 4794090
Boetzinger Strasse 29a                       Fax. +49 761 4794099
79111 Freiburg i. Br.                        http://continum.net
-----------------------------------------------------------------
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]