Subject: very heavy load

From: Mikel Waxler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:26:40 -0500 (EST)

Note: PLease CC replies. I am posting from off list.

I'm working on a FreeBSD 4.4 machine running Apache with mod_ssl.
Apache/1.3.22 (Unix)
OpenSSL 0.9.6a 5 Apr 2001
mod_ssl-2.8.5-1.3.22

The server also does mysql and some other services. It is a Xeon 750 with 1gb of ram.

When the link to ssl is being used from the website server load goes from
about .90 to 35-45.

This makes the server deathly slow. there are Images on that page but not
many.

Where do I go from here? This load seems really high.

HampshireCollege.student("Mikel Waxler");

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mikel Waxler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:39:04 -0500 (EST)

Fixed my own problem,
The ssl_engine_log was taking 2-3 seconds when generating entropy. I
changed the mod_ssl configuration in httpd.conf so that
sslrandomseed came from /dev/urandom instead of builtin.

This seems to have fixed the problem.