Subject: ~ Error Help - CN in certificate not server name or identical to CA!? ~

From: Inderjit S Gabrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:05:09 +0000

Hi all

I am new to the SSL environment, getting a following error, can someone 
tell me whats going on and how i can resolve this....thsnka in 
advance...(error output below...)

[Tue Jul 2 11:54:00 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server 
name here:443, client 130.209.164.170) (OpenSSL library error follows)
[Tue Jul 2 11:54:00 2002] [error] OpenSSL: error:14094412:SSL 
routines:SSL3_REA
D_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate [Hint: Subject CN in certificate not 
server
name or identical to CA!?]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                         <http://www.mis.gla.ac.uk/contact/stafflist.shtml>Inderjit 
S Gabrie
<http://www.gla.ac.uk/>University of Glasgow, Department of MIS,
<http://www.mis.gla.ac.uk/images/location_map.jpg>Gilbert<http://www.mis.gla.ac.uk/images/location_map.jpg> 
Scott Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Tel: 0141-330-3837 Fax: 0141-330-4953
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web Url: http://www.mis.gla.ac.uk
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
       "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet."

---

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:19:17 +0100

Please post in plain-text... - 

Your error: "[Hint: Subject CN in certificate not server name or
identical to CA!?]"

means: the Common Name in the certificate is not the same as the
ServerName in the URL - e.g. the certificate belongs to www.abcdef.com
but you are using it in a server whose URL is www.uvwxyz.com. This makes
the browser think your site is impersonating another site and so throws
a warning.

Where did you get the cert? Is it self-signed? If so, make a new one
with the correct server name.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

PS  How did you remove the "Reply-To" header which normally directs the
replies back to the list? This is supposed to be a public mailing list,
not your private resource. You are supposed to share the replies with
others and allow them to go in the archive. Anyway, I cahnged it back...

-----Original Message-----
From: Inderjit S Gabrie [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2003 10:05
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: ~ Error Help - CN in certificate not server name or identical
to CA!? ~

                        Hi all

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 
                        Inderjit S Gabrie 
University of Glasgow, Department of MIS, 
Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ 
Tel: 0141-330-3837 Fax: 0141-330-4953 
E-mail: [email-masked] 
Web Url: http://www.mis.gla.ac.uk 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet."

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]