Subject: secure domains/subdomains

From: Barry Smoke <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Oct 2002 12:17:38 -0500

I have a question about mod_ssl, and secure domains... 
I know that every unique address you register as secure requires a
certificate(yes it is extortion) 
so http://arhosting.com requires a certificate registered with that
address,  and secure.arhosting.com requires a seperate certificate
registered if I want to do sercure things on both domains seperate...

but what I don't know, is that if just like virtual hosts(which for
apache, that is what a subdomain is) do I have to have a seperate ip for
the main domain, and the subdomain, that is seperate...?

My apache vitual hosts entries look like this now:

<VirtualHost arhosting.com>
DocumentRoot /home/arhosting.com/web
ServerName arhosting.com
ServerAlias www.arhosting.com
<Directory "/home/arhosting.com/web">
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

for per domain ip addresses, would I have to go to an ip in the
<VirtualHost> field?
and can that ip be used for subdomains also that need secure certs?

I think I know the answer to this already....each virtual domain needing
it's own ip address for certs...(domains, and subdomains), but I just
want to verify.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]