Subject: Re: Apache_1.3.26 with mod_ssl: build failed

From: Adrian Hardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:00:44 +0200

It works fine with building in mod_so. Thank you very much. Adrian
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Lynn Gazis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:14:09 -0700

In general, the mod_ssl configuration script doesn't seem to deal with this;
my experience using CryptoSwift with Apache is that on most platforms you
have to edit src/Makefile for Apache after doing the mod_ssl configure, to
add -ldl.  Everything else, mod_ssl configures properly.

Lynn Gazis

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Thorpe [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 8:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Apache_1.3.26 with mod_ssl: build failed

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Adrian Hardt wrote:
>
> > /home1/st/h/s-haa5/src/openssl-0.9.6e/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o): In
function `dlfcn_unload':
> > dso_dlfcn.o(.text+0x3a7): undefined reference to `dlclose'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [target_static] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home1/st/h/s-haa5/src/apache_1.3.26/src'
> > make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home1/st/h/s-haa5/src/apache_1.3.26'
> > make: *** [build] Error 2
>
> Hmm... that's interesting.  Try building in mod_so so that libdl will be
> linked in.  Odd that your statically linked openssl library would want
> libdl though... hmph.

Nope, the DSO mechanism in openssl (for loading external engines or
whatever) requires it. If you call ENGINE_load_builtin_engines(), you'll
get a dependancy on DSO code whether it'll be used or not. It normally
doesn't show up because some systems don't need it (BSDs IIRC) and Apache
is usually built with a requirement on SO loading anyway so the linker
extras are already there.

I would have thought the mod_ssl configuration script would deal with this
though - either by grilling the openssl installation in some way, or by
doing its own autoconf-ish test, or at least by forcing the Apache
configuration to do it even if it doesn't want mod_so.

Cheers,
Geoff

-- 
Geoff Thorpe
[email-masked]