Subject: RE: Problems with Apache SSL under load

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:26:54 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dale Weaver [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> I have Apache 1.3.27 compiled with mod SSL using openssl 0.9.6.g
> OS=AIX 5.1.
> 
> The SSL site stops executing CGI scripts when load gets a little 
> high.  I checked the process list and found 106 httpd servers running.
> System loads at the UNIX level were nominal (< 0.8).
> 
> I get tons of the following error in my error logs:
> 
> [Thu Dec 11 06:00:00 2003] [error] [client ] (11)Resource 
> temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process: 
> /usr/local/apache/sslcgi/navbar1
> [Thu Dec 11 06:00:00 2003] [error] [client ] (11)Resource 
> temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process: 
> /usr/local/apache/sslcgi/navbar2
> [Thu Dec 11 06:00:00 2003] [error] [client ] (11)Resource 
> temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process: 
> /usr/local/apache/sslcgi/register.cgi

Might be to do with system resources like file descriptors or
semaphores. I'm afraid I don't know where to check these on AIX...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored. 

> 
> HTML page responses are still very fast even with the errors.
> 
> Problem does not occur when number of Apache servers < 70.
> 
> This is not a great deal of load.  The hardware is capable of handling
> a lot more than that.
> 
> Can someone point me in the right direction?  Help is greatly 
> appreciated.
> Server configs availble on request.  Don't want to send large 
> stuff over
> the list.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Dale Weaver                               [email-masked]
> UNIX Systems Administrator                (919) 662-3508	
> Wake Technical Community College          fax (919) 662-3504
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
> Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
> 
Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat
keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This
e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the
exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est
un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du
Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Jorge Carrizo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:36:51 -0300 (ART)

changing max proc per user might help, say to 1000

chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc='1000'

for AIX 4.3.3.0

HTH
jorge

 --- Boyle Owen <[email-masked]> escribió: > >
-----Original Message-----
> User Support Mailing List                     

------------
Los mejores usados y las más tentadoras 
ofertas de 0km están en Yahoo! Autos.
Comprá o vendé tu auto en
http://autos.yahoo.com.ar
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Dale Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:51:24 -0500 (EST)

THANK YOU!!  I just missed it!  It was still set to the default (450).  

Should work much better now.  

Thanks again to all who responded.  I think this is the solution.
Won't know for sure until the next wave hits.

I guess I should be nominated for a bonehead award. ;)