Subject: RE: Configuring Multiple Certicates SSL over an unique IP

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:48:58 +0100

No. This is called name-based virtual hosting (NBVH). It works fine for
plain HTTP but is impossible under SSL.

The reason is that NBVH uses the "Host" header to find the VH. But in
SSL, the connection must be established *before* you get the Host
header. So the server cannot decide which VH to use. 

Rgds,

Owen Boyle 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Montag, 4. November 2002 23:20
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Configuring Multiple Certicates SSL over an unique IP

Hello,

 There are some way to configuring the Apache Server to utilize multiple
certificates SSL, over an unique ip, once for each virtual domain ?

 What the Apache configure sintax ?

Alex Moraes

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:08:07 +0100

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:48:58 +0100

> header. So the server cannot decide which VH to use. 

except you are using a star-certificate, 

if your certificate is *.foo.bar you can use name-based virtual hosting for
following dhosts:

www.foo.bar
test.foo.bar 
new.foo.bar
...
what-ever.foo.bar

-- 
"The software said it requires Windows 95 or better,
                                                 so I installed Linux"

---

From: Harald Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:09:13 -0500

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, "Boyle Owen"
> header. So the server cannot decide which VH to use. 

A minor tweak: if you can use a single certificate for all of your
virtual hosts, then you can name them all in the SubjectAltName
extension of the SSL certificate.

-- 
Harald Koch     <[email-masked]>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
		-Michael T. Fry