Subject: mod_ssl / mod_proxy interaction

From: "Robin P. Blanchard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:28:56 -0400

in effort to eventually setup a secure apache reverse proxy for exchange
2000's OWA, i've run into the following dilemma....

per the mod-ssl docs, i had the following declared globally:
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

and realised after much wailing and gnashing of teeth that that line
caused the following (non-ssl) virtual host failed to operate correctly
under IE:

Listen 10.10.10.99:80
<VirtualHost 10.10.10.99:80>
           ServerName              webmail.gactr.uga.edu
           UseCanonicalName        Off
           CustomLog       /tmp/webmail-trans.log combined
           ErrorLog        /tmp/webmail-error.log

           RedirectPermanent / http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/exchange/
           ProxyRequests Off
           ProxyVia Full
           ProxyPass /exchange/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/exchange/
           ProxyPassReverse /exchange/ 
http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/exchange/
           ProxyPass /public/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/public/
           ProxyPassReverse /public/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/public/
           ProxyPass /ex2k/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/ex2k/
           ProxyPassReverse /ex2k/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/ex2k/
           ProxyPass /exchweb/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/exchweb/
           ProxyPassReverse /exchweb/ http://webmail.gactr.uga.edu/exchweb/

</VirtualHost>

So, I placed User-Agent config out of the global config and into each
SSL config. Now, the exchange 2000 proxy (currently non-SSL) is
correctly handled by IE. Obviously, though, I will be wanting to put
this proxy behind SSL, which I've already determined will not work
(using the mod_ssl recommended settings). Has anyone else run into a
similar situation? Is there a reasonable work-around for this?

-- 
----------------------------------------
Robin P. Blanchard
Systems Integration Specialist
Georgia Center for Continuing Education
fon: 706.542.2404 <|> fax: 706.542.6546
----------------------------------------

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]