Subject: Re: Problems when compiling as DSO module (and workaround)

From: Guillaume Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:49:10 -0400

Replying to myself (again)...

>  I think that the problem is with apxs, it only gets the CFLAGS 
>configured at Apache's compile time. And they are not right for 
>every module that one will want to add to Apache.
>
>  Take for example ndbm.h which is needed by mod_ssl. When compiling 
>mod_ssl statically into Apache, there's no problem since Apache 
>takes care of finding where it is located. But when we're building 
>mod_ssl with apxs, if Apache's configure has not figured out where 
>ndbm.h is, compilation will fail.
>[...]
>This is wrong since not enabling a module that requires DBM doesn't 
>mean that I'll never want to add one that does in the future.
>
>I don't see any trivial solution to this problem. The easier one, 
>IMHO, is to do every check when mod_so is enabled.

Adding this to src/modules/standard/mod_so.c (in Apache tarball) does 
the trick:

  /* The section for the Configure script:
   * MODULE-DEFINITION-START
   * Name: so_module
   * ConfigStart
   . ./helpers/find-dbm-lib
   * ConfigEnd
   * MODULE-DEFINITION-END
   */

I didn't find any other helper/check to add, but a more experienced 
Apache developer may find more.

Best,
GFK's
-- 
Guillaume Filion
Logidac Tech., Beaumont, Québec, Canada - http://logidac.com/
PGP Key and more: http://guillaume.filion.org/      (this will redirect)
PGP Fingerprint: 14A6 720A F7BA 6C87 2331 33FD 467E 9198 3DED D5CA
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]