Subject: fqhostname non exsistant??

From: "A. Putnam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:55:40 -0600

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was someone out there who might be able 
to help me out a little bit. I'm having a problem that's driving me nuts. I'm 
running a linux server (SuSE 8.1) that has mod_ssl pre-installed, but not 
setup. I've been trying to set it up and have gotten as far as creating a 
test certificate, but now I'm stumped with the FQHOSTNAME variable. 

((Here's what it says in the httpd.conf...
# NOTE: before you can enable this module, you need a server certificate.
# A test certificate can be created by entering
# 'cd /usr/share/doc/packages/mod_ssl; ./certificate.sh' as root.
# Also, you need to set the ServerName inside the <VirtualHost _default_:443>
# block to the fully qualified domain name
# (see $FQHOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network/config). ))

As it turns out my config file doesn't have the FQHOSTNAME variable at all. Is 
it in another associated file maybe? I've been all over the web and while I 
can find plenty about mod-ssl, I've found next to nothing about writing my 
own FQHOSTNAME variable. I'm still not all that fluent in scripting unix code 
so I'm at a bit of a loss. If anyone knows how I can create/find/configure 
this variable, I'd really appreciate the help. I'm setup to use the YaST2 
config system as well as direct coding to the files, if that helps at all. 

Thanks. 
-- 
A. Putnam
Assistant IT Administrator
Pelathe Community Resource Center

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "A. Putnam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:22:58 -0600

Just a little amendment to this, that note wasn't in httpd.conf, it's in 
/sysconfig/apache. I had them both open and got them mixed up, sorry.

On Thursday 16 January 2003 00:55, A. Putnam wrote:
> Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was someone out there who might be
> able to help me out a little bit. I'm having a problem that's driving me
> nuts. I'm running a linux server (SuSE 8.1) that has mod_ssl pre-installed,
> but not setup. I've been trying to set it up and have gotten as far as
> creating a test certificate, but now I'm stumped with the FQHOSTNAME
> variable.
>
> # Also, you need to set the ServerName inside the <VirtualHost
> _default_:443> # block to the fully qualified domain name
> As it turns out my config file doesn't have the FQHOSTNAME variable at all.
> Is it in another associated file maybe? I've been all over the web and
> while I can find plenty about mod-ssl, I've found next to nothing about
> writing my own FQHOSTNAME variable. I'm still not all that fluent in
> scripting unix code so I'm at a bit of a loss. If anyone knows how I can
> create/find/configure this variable, I'd really appreciate the help. I'm
> setup to use the YaST2 config system as well as direct coding to the files,
> if that helps at all.
>
> Thanks.

---

From: "A. Putnam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:29:55 -0600

On Friday 17 January 2003 01:40, you wrote:
Okay, I found the FQHOSTNAME buried in YaST. (Thank you Carlos!) Except now 
I'm running into another problem. After setting the FQHOSTNAME, I turned on
the mod_ssl module, restarted apache and got this error:

/etc/init.d/apache start returned 7 (Program is not running.)
Starting httpd [ Mailman PHP4 SSL ]Apache/1.3.26 mod_ssl/2.8.10 (Pass
Phrase Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide us with the pass phrases.

Server new.host.name:443 (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:
Apache:mod_ssl:Error: Private key not found.
**Stopped
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
..failed

How do I get the pass phrase to go through without deactivating the
encryption? Is there is another file somewhere I can modify that tells
apache the pass phrase? Or, (seeing as the error says the server is
new.host.name:443) have I stupidly put the certificates in the wrong
directory? If so, what directory are they normally in by default?

Thanks.