Subject: SSL Problem Under High Load with Apache-2.0.39-Mod_SSL-OpenSSL-0.9.6d-Win32

From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:02:04 -0500

Dear mod_ssl group,

We have been trying to use in production the precompiled Apache with mod_ssl
from the precompiled version in the contrib directory:
http://www.modssl.org/contrib/ftp/contrib/Apache-2.0.39-Mod_SSL-OpenSSL-0.9.
6d-Win32.zip

It behaves very stable over weeks and performs nice under heavy http load.

However when we run load tests over https, the server breaks after a day or
two.
All the log files look normal until the time of the crash.
Only the error.log suggests problems. I have attached it below.

Our system is Windows 2000 Professional with 1G RAM, 2 Intel CPUs.

Appears that when run under load against https URLs, the server gets
overloaded and restarts every few hours.

We are now running it again and collecting CPU and memory parameters over
time, which I can provide if requested.

Your help will be appreciated,

Best regards,

-= Ivelin =-

error.log excerpt:
-------------------

[Tue Sep 10 17:02:40 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2056
[Tue Sep 10 17:02:42 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Child process is running
[Tue Sep 10 17:02:42 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Sep 10 17:02:42 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:17 2002] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
Shutting down the server.
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:17 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Exit event signaled. Child
process is ending.
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:18 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Released the start mutex
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:19 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Waiting for 450 worker
threads to exit.
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:19 2002] [notice] Child 2056: All worker threads have
exited.
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:19 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Child process is exiting
[Tue Sep 10 17:03:19 2002] [notice] Parent: Child process exited
successfully.
[Tue Sep 10 17:04:49 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2056
[Tue Sep 10 17:04:53 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Child process is running
[Tue Sep 10 17:04:53 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Sep 10 17:04:53 2002] [notice] Child 2056: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 01:34:28 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Wed Sep 11 01:34:32 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3292
[Wed Sep 11 01:34:34 2002] [notice] Child 3292: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 01:34:34 2002] [notice] Child 3292: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 01:34:34 2002] [notice] Child 3292: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 04:13:11 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Wed Sep 11 04:13:12 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3496
[Wed Sep 11 04:13:14 2002] [notice] Child 3496: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 04:13:14 2002] [notice] Child 3496: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 04:13:14 2002] [notice] Child 3496: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 10:01:43 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Wed Sep 11 10:01:44 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2556
[Wed Sep 11 10:01:47 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 10:01:47 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 10:01:47 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:06 2002] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
Shutting down the server.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:06 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Exit event signaled. Child
process is ending.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:07 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Released the start mutex
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:08 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Waiting for 450 worker
threads to exit.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:08 2002] [notice] Child 2556: All worker threads have
exited.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:08 2002] [notice] Child 2556: Child process is exiting
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:08 2002] [notice] Parent: Child process exited
successfully.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:23 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3840
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:24 2002] [notice] Child 3840: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:24 2002] [notice] Child 3840: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 14:42:24 2002] [notice] Child 3840: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 15:02:29 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Wed Sep 11 15:02:30 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3460
[Wed Sep 11 15:02:32 2002] [notice] Child 3460: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 15:02:32 2002] [notice] Child 3460: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 15:02:32 2002] [notice] Child 3460: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 21:20:43 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Wed Sep 11 21:20:44 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 1856
[Wed Sep 11 21:20:46 2002] [notice] Child 1856: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 21:20:46 2002] [notice] Child 1856: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 21:20:46 2002] [notice] Child 1856: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Wed Sep 11 21:36:56 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3852
[Wed Sep 11 21:36:58 2002] [notice] Child 3852: Child process is running
[Wed Sep 11 21:36:58 2002] [notice] Child 3852: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Sep 11 21:36:58 2002] [notice] Child 3852: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Thu Sep 12 00:16:36 2002] [warn] Server ran out of threads to serve
requests. Consider raising the ThreadsPerChild setting
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:04 2002] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
Shutting down the server.
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:04 2002] [notice] Child 3852: Exit event signaled. Child
process is ending.
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:34 2002] [notice] Parent: Forcing termination of child
process 272
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:43 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2452
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:44 2002] [notice] Child 2452: Child process is running
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:44 2002] [notice] Child 2452: Acquired the start mutex.
[Thu Sep 12 19:34:44 2002] [notice] Child 2452: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Fri Sep 13 00:03:45 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Fri Sep 13 00:03:47 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 992
[Fri Sep 13 00:03:48 2002] [notice] Child 992: Child process is running
[Fri Sep 13 00:03:48 2002] [notice] Child 992: Acquired the start mutex.
[Fri Sep 13 00:03:49 2002] [notice] Child 992: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Fri Sep 13 02:08:49 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Fri Sep 13 02:08:51 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 4376
[Fri Sep 13 02:08:53 2002] [notice] Child 4376: Child process is running
[Fri Sep 13 02:08:53 2002] [notice] Child 4376: Acquired the start mutex.
---->[Fri Sep 13 02:08:53 2002] [notice] Child 4376: Starting 450 worker
threads.
[Fri Sep 13 02:10:45 2002] [warn] Server ran out of threads to serve
requests. Consider raising the ThreadsPerChild setting
[Fri Sep 13 17:05:10 2002] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
1 -- Restarting.
[Fri Sep 13 17:05:11 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 4060
[Fri Sep 13 17:05:13 2002] [notice] Child 4060: Child process is running
[Fri Sep 13 17:05:13 2002] [notice] Child 4060: Acquired the start mutex.
[Fri Sep 13 17:05:13 2002] [notice] Child 4060: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Fri Sep 13 17:07:23 2002] [notice] Parent: Created child process 4400
[Fri Sep 13 17:07:25 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Child process is running
[Fri Sep 13 17:07:25 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Acquired the start mutex.
[Fri Sep 13 17:07:25 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Starting 450 worker threads.
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:05 2002] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
Shutting down the server.
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:05 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Exit event signaled. Child
process is ending.
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:06 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Released the start mutex
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:11 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Waiting for 450 worker
threads to exit.
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:11 2002] [notice] Child 4400: All worker threads have
exited.
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:11 2002] [notice] Child 4400: Child process is exiting
[Mon Sep 16 22:02:12 2002] [notice] Parent: Child process exited
successfully.
-=Ivelin=-

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:44:32 -0400 (EDT)

> http://www.modssl.org/contrib/ftp/contrib/Apache-2.0.39-Mod_SSL-OpenSSL-0.9.

Absolutely positively *do not* use this version.  Apache 2.0.39 has
serious vulnerabilities on Win32, and OpenSSL 0.9.6d has serious
vulnerabilities on any platform.

--Cliff