Subject: How can I tell if mod_ssl is installed with Apache

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:26:01 -0800

I configured and installed mod_ssl with Apache but it does not seam to
be working.
When I run the ./httpd -l comand on Apache it does not show that
mod_ssl.c is installed in Apache this is a list of every thing that is
in there. Should it be in there?
 http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c

  This is how I configured and installed mod_ssl

  1. cd to mod_ssl directory
  2. ran this comand
    ./configure --with-apache=../apache --with-ssl=../openssl
    --prefix=/home/.autoserv/apache --target=autohttpd --enable-module=rewrite
    --enable-shared=rewrite --enable-module=proxy --enable-shared=proxy
    --sysconfdir=/home/.autoserv/apache/conf
    --htdocsdir=/home/.autoserv/html --cgidir=/home/.autoserv/cgi-bin
    --sysconfdir=/home/.autoserv/conf --enable-module=ssl --enable-shared=ssl
  3. cd ../apache
  4. make
  5. make certificate
  6. make install

-- 
Best regards,
 rdkurth                          mailto:[email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 03:14:47 -0500 (EST)

These directives:  --enable-module=ssl --enable-shared=ssl, made mod-ssl
as a loadable module, it's not part of apache's core binary, so look in 
/<webroot>/libexec/ for the mdoule you built to load on the httpd.conf
file;  libssl.so.  Additionally, I suggest you read through all the
documentation as well, you are mising things like this which are clearly
defined there.  This is seen also in the fact you issued these directive
as well as the ones stated below in the wrong place:

--enable-module=rewrite>     --enable-shared=rewrite --enable-module=proxy
--enable-shared=proxy
>     --sysconfdir=/home/.autoserv/conf --enable-module=ssl
--enable-shared=ssl

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!