Subject: 2.0.36 + mod-ssl + Win2k = Easy Money

From: "John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:39:43 +1200

Hello list members,

We have just spent (wasted) 3 days trying to compile Apache 2.0.36 with
zlib and mod-ssl on win2k for a critical project and we have been
unsuccessful. Thus the offer of easy money!

We need working binaries for the config described above URGENTLY and we
are willing to pay $500 worth of real gold (www.goldmoney.com) to the
first person who can supply them to us. This gold can be redeemed for
cash anywhere in the world.

If you want even MORE easy money, we are willing to pay a further $500
worth of real gold to anyone who can help us to actually compile
successfully. Details of what we have done and our results are below for
those who are interested:

Source: Apache 2.0.36, OpenSSL 2.6.9d, zlib (latest)

First we discovered you can not use the instructions on the howto at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/win_compiling.html... the
instructions (perl commands) for creating the makefiles etc. before
compiling should not be used... Apache mod-ssl will need idea etc to
compile.

So we compiled OpenSSL using the instructions in INSTALL.W32 supplied
with OpenSSL and OpenSSL compiled perfectly first time with no errors or
warnings.

Next we moved the entire OpenSSL folder into ..\srclib\openssl as
instructed in the apache howto.
We also followed the instructions for zlib.

We got a version of awk for windows and installed it on the path as
instructed.

First we compiled without the openssl directory installed, and the nossl
version of Apache compiled fine, with the compile finishing with 4
warnings and no errors.

Compiling with the openssl directory installed brought a whole lot of
problems on!

First we got an error about not finding Bison, so we went and found a
Win2k version of bison (and bison.hairy and bison.simple)...

Then we needed flex, so we got that...

Then we needed sed, so we got that....

Then when we compiled we got an error "could not find y.tab.c etc"... we
discovered our version of bison uses y_tab.c and y_tab.h instead, so we
corrected that...

By now this had taken us a day or two of searching lists and web etc....

And still we get errors! now we are getting "undefined external _alloca"
errors...

So now we offer money for anyone who can help... we really would like to
get this right so we can write a proper howto, plus we have a critical
project we need to complete.

Thanks in advance,

John.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Victor Medina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:33:44 -0400

Hi there!

I can provide Apache binaries with mod_ssl included and zlib (dll's and 
lib) with no problems, just contact me via my private mail to tell you 
where to download it, if you haven't done taht yet from any member of the list

Victor Medina

---

From: "John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:41:39 +1200

Well, we got one response from Victor, but he seems to be unable to
follow through (we don't get any response from his private e-mail) so we
still have $500 for anyone who can give us working binaries of apache
2.0.36 with mod-ssl...

Anyone? Is this actually possible? Has anyone ever got this right?

John.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Medina" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: 2.0.36 + mod-ssl + Win2k = Easy Money

Hi there!

I can provide Apache binaries with mod_ssl included and zlib (dll's and
lib) with no problems, just contact me via my private mail to tell you
where to download it, if you haven't done taht yet from any member of
the list

Victor Medina

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:03:53 -0400 (EDT)

> Anyone? Is this actually possible? Has anyone ever got this right?

Of course it's possible.  I'd do it for you but I'm not convinced that I
as a US citizen am allowed to export strong-encryption binaries from the
US.  Which is, of course, the entire reason that the official
distributions don't come with mod_ssl binaries.

--Cliff

PS: If you can wait a few days, 2.0.37 will hopefully be out and it has
some important bugs fixed.  Just so you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Apache HTTP Server Project

---

From: "Chris Hsiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:16:29 -0400

Yes... compiling 2.0.36 with mod ssl is easy... which part of compiling
did you guys stocked? It should have the compile out/output text....
include in the email will help us to understand what happened and the
next time you probably can compile the future version of apache

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Cliff Woolley
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 7:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 2.0.36 + mod-ssl + Win2k = Easy Money

--Cliff

---

From: "John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:02:32 +1200

Thanks Chris,

There is a summary of what we did on the original post to this thread...
any help is appreciated, thanks,

John.

-----Original Message-----

--Cliff

---

From: Steve Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:31:11 -0500

>those who are interested:

I'd like to take your money, however, a US citizen should only 
fulfill such an order via snail mail to a physical US address (no PO 
box).

For compiling help, I'd like to take your money for that too, but it 
wouldn't seem right without offering a few tips first. If you then 
feel compelled to pay me for the info, then by all means... :)

I achieved what you want by following the same instructions you read. 
I did a _command-line_ build, using VS.net (60 day trial edition) on 
a new laptop (256mb/DVD) running XP home. Did it on D drive just to 
complicate things a bit. Transferred it to a dev server. Works great.

Install perl.
Unpack the apache source.
Put awk* in the apache source folder and make sure it has been renamed awk.exe
put the openssl source* in the proper place.  -[apache source]\srclib\openssl
put the zlib source* in the proper place. -[apache source]\srclib\zlib
find vcvars32.bat and put a shortcut in your [apache source] and 
[openssl] directories.
open a command prompt.
go to your openssl directory ([apache source]\srclib\openssl) and run 
vcvars32.bat.
run commands to compile openssl*.
you can try a couple of openssl commands at the command prompt to 
verify compilation.
go to your apache source directory (cd \[apache source]) and run vcvars32.bat.
run commands to compile apache via _command-line_*.

* refer to instructions here:
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/win_compiling.html >

If you get a "can't find this or that" message, put a copy wherever 
you need it.
Look in "Component Services -> Event Viewer" to see other error messages.

There are other issues with using openssl on Windows, but first things first.

HIH,

Steve Parrish
-- 
<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:36:20 +1200

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the offer, we now have binaries, supplied by a non-US person,
but still we have no luck... we can browse to http://localhost, but not
https://localhost.

We have temp certs in place and everything looks fine, but no go.  The
guys working on this have done this 100 times on linux with no problems,
we are now into our 5th day of stuffing around and still no ssl.

Maybe you can give us some pointers? We are using the default configs as
given with apache but there must be something else that needs to be done
to get windows to work with the ssl?

John.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Parrish" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: 2.0.36 + mod-ssl + Win2k = Easy Money

Install perl.
Unpack the apache source.
Put awk* in the apache source folder and make sure it has been renamed
awk.exe
put the openssl source* in the proper place.  -[apache
source]\srclib\openssl
put the zlib source* in the proper place. -[apache source]\srclib\zlib
find vcvars32.bat and put a shortcut in your [apache source] and
[openssl] directories.
open a command prompt.
go to your openssl directory ([apache source]\srclib\openssl) and run
vcvars32.bat.
run commands to compile openssl*.
you can try a couple of openssl commands at the command prompt to
verify compilation.
go to your apache source directory (cd \[apache source]) and run
vcvars32.bat.
run commands to compile apache via _command-line_*.

If you get a "can't find this or that" message, put a copy wherever
you need it.
Look in "Component Services -> Event Viewer" to see other error
messages.

There are other issues with using openssl on Windows, but first things
first.

HIH,

Steve Parrish

---

From: "Chris Hsiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:18:23 -0400

I am using win32 of Apache 2.0.35/2.0.36 and I had many problems in the
beginning.  It took me a week to get it work.

First can you show me your config now?  Please do an attachement
Are you able to start apache with modssl but not yet have any virtual
host that with a sslengine on.

It is very hard to troubleshoot the situation with very limited
information and which point that modssl didn't work for you

Chris Hsiang
Intervivos LLC

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 12:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 2.0.36 + mod-ssl + Win2k = Easy Money

Hello Steve,

John.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Parrish" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: 2.0.36 + mod-ssl + Win2k = Easy Money

Install perl.

HIH,

Steve Parrish

---

From: "John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:20:20 +1200

We have discovered that if we start Apache from the console with
>apache -D SSL on our windows server, then we have ssl support...
Please, someone, how do we get ssl support running as a service?

It seems we have wasted a couple of days, simply to find this out!

John.

---

From: "Andre Steffens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:03:29 +0200

Hello List,

I'm also searching for an Win2k binary with SSL support. But it's not
possible for me to spend $500 for this. I would be very grateful if someone
can help me without money...

Thx
Andre