Subject: Re: Installation Woes

From: "Evan Dillon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:50:56 -0700

try the apache/mod_ssl part of this:
 
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/SoothinglySeamless/page1.html

>>> [email-masked] 03/14/03 08:45AM >>>
Hi folks.. I'm a newbie here, installing Apache and OpenSSL and mod_ssl 
from source on my RedHat 7.3 (I uninstalled the RPMS)

Call me stupid, but I must be missing something...

The installation instructions are pretty straightforward but I have one 
major problem - the httpd.conf doesn't include ANY ssl configuration 
options after it's installed.

So of course, SSL doesn't work.

The instructions seem to assume that the SSL configuration options will 
be there.  This left me really confused.

I ripped out some code from another httpd.conf but now I've got it 
responding to SSL on port 80 as well as 443.

What I'm looking for is BASIC instructions on how to configure apache to 
use SSL (and maybe someone can tell me why it's not IN the instructions 
in the first place).  I've looked in the FAQ and the reference guide but 
I haven't had any luck yet.

Downloaded everything today - apache 1.3.27, open_ssl 0.9.7a, and 
mod_ssl 2.8.12

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org 
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked] 
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Rick Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:16:59 -0500

> http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/SoothinglySeamless/page1.html

Evan,

That looks great... but... it doesn't tell me how to configure
SSL in the httpd.conf.  SSL is nowhere to be found in my httpd.conf, the 
default one that came with my apache 1.3.27 source distribution.

cam wrote:
 > Have you tried this?
 >
 > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Apache-Compile-HOWTO/

Cam,

I don't have any problem compiling apache with mod_ssl.  I don't know 
how to configure it in the httpd.conf because after installation, SSL is 
nowhere to be mentioned in the httpd.conf that is installed.

Thanks.

  Rick Root

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:04:39 -0500 (EST)

> default one that came with my apache 1.3.27 source distribution.

which means that you have not  configured mod-ssl and openssl properly
into your apache setup.  Once properly done the default config will
reflect the changes you seek.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!