Subject: RE: [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `yin.fokus.gmd.de' does NOT match server name!?

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:17:07 +0100

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Aihong Yin [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2003 12:47
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
>`yin.fokus.gmd.de' does NOT match server name!?
>
>
>
>Boyle Owen wrote:
>
>>PLease post in plain text - my mail client doesn't handle HTML mail...
>>
>>The thing you type into the browser's Location window has to match
>>what's in the cert. Does it? 
>>
>Yes, it does. but this error "[warn] RSA server certificate 
>CommonName (CN)
>does NOT match server name!?" is given during the HTTPS server start. 
>and the next step is to start the browser.

In your httpd.conf you must have a ServerName directive - what is it set to? It must be the same as the common name in the cert.

>
>>If you are doing all this on a standalone
>>laptop, I doubt it.
>>
>Could you tell me the reason?  what do you mean "standalone"? 
>The laptop get
>it's IP address during reboot using DHCP.

So how do you access the web site? You must type something into the browser - unless you type yin.fokus.gmd.de, you will get a warning. But how can you type this in?  - you would need a local DNS set up to resolve this domain. Do you have this?

> Is this correct?
>
>Best Regards,
>Aihong Yin.
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Aihong Yin [mailto:[email-masked]]
>>Sent: Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2003 12:07
>>To: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Re: [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
>>`yin.fokus.gmd.de' does NOT match server name!?
>>
>>
>>Hello Owen and Toftum,
>>
>>thanks for your mail.
>>
>>
>>Hello all,I am trying to setup my server (apache 2.0.43, opensl 0.9.6g
>>on RedHat 7.1).I have created a SSL server certificate using 
>a self-made
>>CA, and am sure thatthe Common Name in the Server Certificate und
>>ServerName in http.conf file arethe same "yin.fokus.gmd.de", which is
>>identical with the host address.
>>Really? Are you sure you have the line:	ServerName 
>yin.fokus.gmd.dein
>>the SSL VH config?
>>Do you mean that I should configure VirtualHost in the http.conf file?
>>But I think the Virtual Host is used for the case
>>of more than one web site running on a single machine. Is 
>this correct?
>>On my Laptop there is only one web site "yin.fokus.gmd.de".
>>I now have tried to configure VirtualHost and it is the same error.
>>
>>
>>If so, are you sure the certificate's common name is
>>yin.fokus.gmd.de?Don't just say "Yes", check it with:	openssl x509
>>-subject -in /path/to/certthen see what "CN=" is set to.
>>
>>I have checked it and They are the same ("CN=" is set to
>>"yin.fokus.gmd.de).
>>
>>
>>
>>I now start apache with "apachect1 startssl"and get the following
>>messagein error_log file, but no errors in the console---->[Wed Jan 29
>>08:34:02 2003] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName
>>(CN)`yin.fokus.gmd.de' does NOT match server name!?[Wed Jan 
>29 08:34:03
>>2003] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication
>>...[Wed Jan 29 08:34:03 2003] [notice] Digest: done[Wed Jan 
>29 08:34:04
>>2003] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)`yin.fokus.gmd.de'
>>does NOT match server name!?[Wed Jan 29 08:34:05 2003] [notice]
>>Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.43 OpenSSL/0.9.6g DAV/2 configured--
>>resuming normal operations<---if I try and access the secure site
>>(https://yin.fokus.gmd.de) I get the following error message in
>>browser(but I can start the normal site
>>http://yin.fokus.gmd.de):------>The server's certificate has 
>an invalid
>>signature. You will not be able to connect to this site 
>securely.<------
>>Your domain name is not in public DNS so I suppose you do 
>this locally.
>>You are right. I try this on my laptop for our future projekt. Shoud I
>>use the IP address and not host name in the server certificate?
>>but it is changed frequently. 
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>Aihong Yin.
>>
>>This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
>>confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
>>confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
>>If you receive this message in error, please notify the 
>sender urgently
>>and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
>>system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
>>You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, 
>distribute, print,
>>or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended 
>recipient.
>>The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
>>communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
>>message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
>>states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
>>views of the sender's company. 
>>______________________________________________________________________
>>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
>>
>
>-- 
>
>
>
>
> 
>
>
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
>
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Aihong Yin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:24:56 +0100

Hello Owen,

thanks again for your mail.

>In your httpd.conf you must have a ServerName directive - what is it set to? It must be the same as the common name in the cert.
It is set to "yin.fokus.gmd.de" which is the same as the common name in 
the cert.
I have got this error during HTTP Secure Server start, and this step 
happens before typing something in browser!

>>>if you are doing all this on a standalone
>>>laptop, I doubt it.
>>>
I'm sorry that I don't understand what you mean! But I think my laptop 
can local understand the mapping
betweem IP address and host name "yin.fokus.gmd.de". The browser works 
well if I now type
"http://yin.fokus.gmd.de", but does not work "https://yin.fokus.gmd.de"!
I think I can only start the HTTP server because there are the following 
message in the error_log file :
---->
[warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `yin.fokus.gmd.de' does 
NOT match server name!?
Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.43 OpenSSL/0.9.6g DAV/2 configured -- 
resuming normal operations
<---

Best Regards,
Aihong Yin.