Subject: reverse https proxying fails after upgrade from apache 1.3.11 to 1.3.24

From: Hans Juergen von Lengerke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:44:41 +0200 (CEST)

After upgrading our apache from 1.3.11 to 1.3.24 I can't map remote
servers into the space of the local server if I try to do so via https.

The relevant part of httpd.conf:

  <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
      ServerName www.ourserver.com
      SSLEngine on
      RewriteRule ^/example/(.*)$ https://www.example.com/$1 [P,L]
      ProxyPassReverse /example   https://www.example.com/
  </VirtualHost>

Requesting https://www.ourserver.com/example/ fails for apache_1.3.24
(+mod_rewrite +mod_proxy +mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24) / openssl-0.9.6b. The
failure message in the browser is:

  Bad Request
  Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
  Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
  Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

  Hint: https://www.example.de:443/
  ------------------------------------------------------------------
  Apache/1.3.20 Server at www.example.com Port 443

After reinstalling apache_1.3.11 (+mod_rewrite +mod_proxy
+mod_ssl-2.5.1-1.3.11) / openssl-0.9.6b the request to
https://www.ourserver.com/example/ works just as expected.

I have to admit, I didn't change the httpd.conf at all when I upgraded.
But I did a diff on the apache-src/conf/httpd.conf-dist to see if it had
something to do with configuration changes between the two versions.
However, I haven't found anything obvious there.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Can someone verify that reverse https
proxying in this manner actually works with apache_1.3.24? I know there
were quite a lot of changes to mod_proxy recently, maybe something broke
along the way.

Thanks, Hans
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]