Subject: RE: Cannot Access Includes Above Current Directory

From: "Steve Benson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:29:20 -0800

John:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question it's much
appreciated.

I can understand this may be thought of as nothing to do with mod_ssl
(and that's most likely true).  I'm not sure what other list might be
more appropriate and was trying to reach knowledgeable folks with both
Apache and SSL experience.

It might help if I explained the reason I tried the mod_ssl list is that
-

- I've created a number of Apache web sites using PHP but this is my
first using SSL(mod_ssl incorporated into Apache 2.0.48, openssl). I've
never encountered anything like this before in web development.

- All scripts work fine with relative paths to include files as long as
they're accessed via http and are not in the
https virtual server directory tree structure.

- When accessing the same scripts within the https virtual server tree
the scripts cannot reference any include files that
aren't at the same level or below in the directory tree.

- If the include file is made available at the same level or below, no
problem accessing via relative or absolute paths.

- Even when the paths to include files are changed to absolute paths
they fail if the file is above the current directory in the tree.  For
some reason I can't go up the directory tree from within the https
virtual server directory structure.
This is true no matter where I am in the structure i.e. if I'm two
levels deep in the directory tree I can't reference a file up one level.
If I'm three levels deep I can't reference files back on level two,
bummer!

This seems to be a configuration problem but I've exhausted my resources
trying to figure out what within httpd.conf or ssl.conf would be causing
this behavior.

Seems like such a small thing but with an existing site structure I'd
have to replicate many scripts, css',images etc. to make the components
I need available within the https virtual server's directory structure.
What a maintenance nightmare!

Any suggestions you may offer are appreciated.

Thanks,

.......... Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 2:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Cannot Access Includes Above Current Directory

This isn't really a mod_ssl issue, but I suggest you use the absolute
path for included php as the current directory is probably where the
httpd binary is, or perhaps where the config files are.

(I changed the subject as my last post was rejected, somehow)

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind, Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848
[email-masked] 

There is more historical evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ than
for either Henry VIII or Julius Caesar.

- 
DISCLAIMER: 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended 
recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the 
content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the 
sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it 
and any attachments from your system. 

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by 
its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted. We
therefore recommend you scan all attachments. 

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and 
any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent

those of RNIB. 

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227 

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:01:23 -0000

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. I think I understand the problem
better now.

I suspect this is down to environment variables. Try using "phpinfo();" via
SSL and non-SSL connections and see if you can see which variables aren't in
the first one (curl and diff are very handy for this).

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

There is more historical evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ than for
either Henry VIII or Julius Caesar.

> From: Steve Benson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 16 December 2003 17:29

- 
DISCLAIMER: 

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by 
its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

---

From: "Steve Benson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:45:26 -0800

John:

Thanks for your suggestion.

I checked the output of phpinfo from both http and https and other than
directory name differences I found the following variables in the https
info:

Variable                Value 
UNIQUE_ID               8Sevn38AAAEAAALTfvAAAAAA  
nokeepalive             1  
ssl-unclean-shutdown    1  
downgrade-1_0           1  
force-response-1_0      1  
HTTPS                   on  
SSL_VERSION_INTERFACE   mod_ssl/2.0.48  
SSL_VERSION_LIBRARY     OpenSSL/0.9.6l  
SSL_PROTOCOL            SSLv3  
SSL_CIPHER              RC4-MD5  
SSL_CIPHER_EXPORT       false  
SSL_CIPHER_USEKEYSIZE   128  
SSL_CIPHER_ALGKEYSIZE   128  
SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY       NONE  
SSL_SERVER_M_VERSION    1  
SSL_SERVER_M_SERIAL     00  
SSL_SERVER_V_START      Dec 5 15:42:10 2003 GMT  
SSL_SERVER_V_END        Dec 2 15:42:10 2013 GMT  
SSL_SERVER_S_DN         /C=US/CN=webdev/Email=[email-masked]  
SSL_SERVER_S_DN_C       US  
SSL_SERVER_S_DN_CN      webdev  
SSL_SERVER_S_DN_Email   [email-masked]  
SSL_SERVER_I_DN         /C=US/CN=webdev/Email=[email-masked]  
SSL_SERVER_I_DN_C       US  
SSL_SERVER_I_DN_CN      webdev  
SSL_SERVER_I_DN_Email   [email-masked]  
SSL_SERVER_A_KEY        rsaEncryption  
SSL_SERVER_A_SIG        md5WithRSAEncryption  
SSL_SESSION_ID
110B6D1F72C43479A06BC5EA6310AF411F903713674E82256769B2F923AF5727  
Connection              close

I didn't see any thing that stood out, do you see anything there that
might shed some light on this problem?

Thanks,

............ Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Cannot Access Includes Above Current Directory

I suspect this is down to environment variables. Try using "phpinfo();"
via SSL and non-SSL connections and see if you can see which variables
aren't in the first one (curl and diff are very handy for this).

- 

> first using SSL(mod_ssl incorporated into Apache 2.0.48, openssl). 
> I've never encountered anything like this before in web development.
> 

> the scripts cannot reference any include files that aren't at the same

> level or below in the directory tree.
> 

> virtual server directory structure. This is true no matter where I am 
> in the structure i.e. if I'm two levels deep in the directory tree I 
> can't reference a file up one level.
> have to replicate many scripts, css',images etc. to make the 
> components I need available within the https virtual server's 
> directory structure.

- 
DISCLAIMER: 

those of RNIB.