Subject: libssl.so won't load

From: Dale Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:43:52 -0500

I have an AIX server running 4.3.3.  I have installed openssl-0.9.6.3,

Apache 1.3.19 and mod_ssl 2.8.2.0.  All installed fine, however

when I try to start the server I get the errors:

Syntax error on line 236 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/lib/apache/libssl.so into server:        0509-022 Cannot
 load module /usr/local/lib/apache/libssl.so.
        0509-150   Dependent module /usr/local/lib/libssl.a(libssl.so) could not be loaded.
        0509-152   Member libssl.so is not found in archive
        0509-022 Cannot load module /usr/local/lib/libssl.a.
        0509-150   Dependent module /usr/local/lib/libssl.a could not be loaded

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:30:27 -0500 (EST)

Dale,

You maybe running into the ld.so issue that faced a few sun admins trying
to install mod-ssl on those systems recently.  This would require an
update of your systems ld.so system similiar to theirs.  The man pages for
AIX should give you a clue as to the ways to do this for your AIX system
(a symlink from the out of bounds shared mod-ssl lib to the standard ld.so 
lib dir<s>, the  environment  variable   LD_LIBRARY_PATH, fixing the
cache file /etc/ld.so.cache, etc>, as well look at the archives of the
past few weeks on these issues for those sun users.

Hope this helps, thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Dale Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:56:28 -0500 (EST)

I tried putting in the sym links and it didn't work.  Tried updating
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable.  None of those worked.  The problem
appears to be that libssl.so is not in the libssl.a archive file.
I have checked and libssl.a is a proper archive file.  Looks like
I need to use the ld command to link the module to the archive.  Can
anyone help with that in AIX?  I am working with the man page for ld,
but I am just a systems guy and not much of a software guru.  It looks
like Greek to me.  I will figure it out eventually, but if someone
could offer a little help to trim my learning curve I would greatly 
appreciate it.

Thanks.

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:19:16 +0100

> could offer a little help to trim my learning curve I would greatly

Er... AFAIK, the two files are fundamentally different. One doesn't
contain the other...

libssl.so is a compiled loadable object - You need to have it around
whenever apache runs as it will get linked into the apache binary
dynamically to service openssl function calls.

libssl.a is, as you say, an archive file - it is used one-time by the
compiler when you compile in openssl functions into your apache binary
during compilation.

You should have both in your openssl lib from when you compiled openssl.

Rgds,

OWen Boyle.