Subject: User Certificate Authentication with Apache 1.3.23

From: "Kai Hofmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:20:52 +0200

Hello,

I am using:

Apache 1.3.23,
mod_ssl 2.8.7,
openssl 0.9.6c
(Also perl and php)

I tried to activate user authentication via personal certifacates from Thawte,
exactly like described in the HowTo under:

How can I authenticate only particular clients for a some
URLs based on certificates but still allow arbitrary clients
to access the remaining parts of the server? 

(first method!!!)

This works with an experimental Apache 2.0.36 server except of the know
http/https hang ups.

The problem now is that with the Apache 1.3.23 I can not make it work
correctly - the user certificate is accepted correctly without a message
in the error log file (when I cange the httpd.passwd a bit I got errors that
the user or the passwd is not found!).
So I assume the basics are ok, but I got always an 403 error as result.

Using a log devel of trace or debug don't let me see the problem.
The only thing that wonders me a bit ist:

Connection to child X closed with standard shutdown ....

Anyone who can help me to find and solve the problem?

I am using only one virtual name based host for ssl!

Thanks

   Kai Hofmann

-- 
Institut für Seeverkehrswirtschaft und Logistik   http://www.isl.org/
Dipl.-Inform. Kai Hofmann                       mailto:[email-masked]
Universitaetsallee GW1 Block A                   phone:+49 421 22096-83
D-28359 Bremen                                     fax:+49 421 22096-55
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "DG Speekenbrink" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:26:12 +0200

> exactly like described in the HowTo under:

Could you give me a pointer to this howto your speaking of?
I'm just starting to work with certificates and was just about to look
for such a document.

TIA,

Dennis Speekenbrink

---

From: "Kai Hofmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:15:04 +0200

> I'm just starting to work with certificates and was just about to look

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_howto.html#ToC6

For thawte (free!) certificates take a look at:

http://www.thawte.com/getinfo/products/personal/contents.html