Subject: Problems with old MSIE 5.0

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:25:50 +0200

Hello.

After upgrading to 2.0.47 we have been experiencing problems with clients
using old MSIE 5.0 browsers (40 bit versions). They are suddenly unable to
connect, and get a "The page cannot be displayed" error.

However, disabling SSLv3 "cures" the problem.

We are using glibc-2.3.2.

The MSIE version we have tried is 5.00.2614.3500, on W2K, but quite a few
clients are experiencing problemms.

Any suggestions?

-Torvald Bringsvor
Ergo Integration AS
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:58:06 +0100

How up to date are these versions of IE? I recall that the original IE 5.0
that shipped with Windows 2000 was quite broken with regards to SSL support
(but IE5.01 wasn't). 

The last time I looked, SP3 for Windows 2000 gave you IE5.01 SP3, but SP3
wasn't available directly (only SP2). I haven't checked the situation with
SP4 (yet).

The official line from Microsoft is that IE5.01 SP2 is no longer available,
as it is in the "extended support phase":
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/ie51exsupport.asp

- 
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [email-masked] 

After over 144 years, there's still no fossil evidence of Evolution.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 29 July 2003 10:26
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: Problems with old MSIE 5.0
> 
> 
> Hello.
> 

- 

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:27:57 +0100

That hasn't answered my question about which exact version it is. Is it SP1,
SP2, SP3 or no service pack? Those are the details that are needed to look
into this. If in fact the end user hasn't applied Microsoft's patches to
Microsoft's browser, how can that be your problem?

- 

> Sent: 29 July 2003 11:21
> Subject: RE: Problems with old MSIE 5.0
> 
> 
> I dont think theese browsers are supported, no. However, 
> quite a few clients
> are using them still and our customers does not accept us 
> tossing our hands
> in the air and saying that we dont support all browsers. It 
> has worked in
> the past, and therefore it is our problem that theese 
> browsers are indeed
> broken. We have had a similar problem with 56 bit browsers 
> before, and had a
> lot of problems convincing our customers that the browsers are broken.
> 
> -Torvald

-

---

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:33:28 +0200

Sorry, I misunderstood this. 

As it turns out, it is not W2k as I said in my original post, it is Win98
SE, and there is no MSIE service pack installed.

-Torvald

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:02:28 +0100

Neither the browser or the OS is supported by Microsoft anymore,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-gb;lifewin98, with the
exception of security fixes and paid support. 

Are the users aware of this? They can upgrade to IE5.5 or 6 for free
(although I doubt that this will go down particularly well).

I don't see a great deal of point in putting resources into solving this
one, except to ask what SSLSessionCache settings are you using? These have
been known to cause problems with IE.

- 

> Sent: 29 July 2003 11:33

-

---

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:48:10 +0200

It seemes that you are right that SSLSessionCache is important! I set up a
test server (with 2.0.47) and it worked when SSLSessionCache was enabled,
but didnt when it was disabled. What I will do next is to reconfigure the
production environment with SSLSessionCache enabled, and we will see if that
cured it.

Thanks!

-Torvald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 29. juli 2003 13:02
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Problems with old MSIE 5.0

- 

-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:05:06 +0100

I use 

SSLSessionCache         shm:logs/ssl_scache(512000)
SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300

and it works for me...

John

> Sent: 29 July 2003 12:48

-

---

From: Torvald Baade Bringsvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:10:02 +0200

what I tried was the default, dbm

But perhaps shm is quicker....

-Torvald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 29. juli 2003 14:05
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Problems with old MSIE 5.0

I use 

and it works for me...

John

-