Subject: OT: cheap CA certificates

From: "Eric Wood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:33:53 -0500

Where can I get cheap/reliable certs for a Apache that IE 5.5+ clients will
authorize against?  Thawte and Verisign have outpriced themselves.

-Eric Wood

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Burkholder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:57:49 -0700

http://www.geotrust.com/equifax/
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 02:33:53PM -0500, Eric Wood wrote:
> From: "Eric Wood" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: OT: cheap CA certificates
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:33:53 -0500
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 
--
Peter Burkholder, System Administrator
Digital Library for Earth System Education (DLESEÂ® -- http://www.dlese.org)
[email-masked]
DLESE Program Center (DPC)                               ~~~  ~~  ~~~~   __o
UCAR/DPC, P.O. Box 3000       Ph) +1-303-497-2663      ~~~  ~~~~ ~~    _`\<,_
Boulder, CO 80307-3000        Fx) +1 303-497-8336 ~~~~ ~~~   ~~~~     (*)/ (*)
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Goetz Babin-Ebell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:05:23 +0100

Hello Eric,

> authorize against?  Thawte and Verisign have outpriced themselves.

That depends on your definition of the terms cheap and reliable.

But we offer client and server certs
(low level client certs are still free)

Bye

Goetz

-- 
Goetz Babin-Ebell, TC TrustCenter AG, http://www.trustcenter.de
Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany
Tel.: +49-(0)40 80 80 26 -0,  Fax: +49-(0)40 80 80 26 -126

---

From: James Treworgy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:11:42 -0500

Thawte is pretty cheap. $127 bucks through their ISP channel (anyone
can sign up) for a regular web cert, I am not sure you can do much better.

If it's not worth $127 a year, then I assume it's not for profit, e.g.
for internal use only or for a small number of users. In that case,
just use self-signed certificates. They're no less secure, they just
pop up a warning. Advise your users to add them to their root store
the first time they connect to your site and even that won't happen
anymore. We do this for all our internal secured sites.

-- Jamie

Monday, November 17, 2003, 3:05:23 PM, you wrote:

GBE> Hello Eric,

>> authorize against?  Thawte and Verisign have outpriced themselves.

GBE> That depends on your definition of the terms cheap and reliable.

GBE> But we offer client and server certs
GBE> (low level client certs are still free)

GBE> Bye

GBE> Goetz

-- 
Best regards,
 James                            mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "Drew Broadley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:42:12 +1300

Sorry for this off-topic issue, but I have tried all the patches and all
the google result suggestions possible.

I am getting in the HEADERS specifically the error:

> Client-SSL-Warning: Peer certificate not verified

I cannot seem to get around this, I have patched https.pm and http.pm in
the LWP library with "sure to fix" solutions but still get this error.

I am using:

$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003

$ perl -v
This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-freebsd

$ lwp-request -v    
This is lwp-request version 2.06 (libwww-perl-5.76)

Any ideas ?

- Drew