Subject: installing with apache 2 and mod_ssl

From: "Zac Hillier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:08:32 +0100

Hi All,

Can you help? I'm trying to install apache 2.0.36 with mod_ssl and having
real trouble I have re-installed a couple of times now once specifically
with --enable-ssl=shared and once with --enable-shared=all each time the
mod_ssl does not appear to compile into the modules dir and is not present
in any of the conf files?

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Zac

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:21:29 -0400 (EDT)

> in any of the conf files?

What does the configure output say around the spot where it says "checking
whether to enable mod_ssl"?  Chances are, it's not finding your OpenSSL
installation (which is a dependency for mod_ssl), and it's therefore
skipping mod_ssl.  (Hint: use --with-ssl=<path> to tell it where to look.)
Now, it's strange that it would do that with --enable-shared=all (=all is
supposed to me "fail if you can't find some module's dependencies"), but
it's my best guess at the moment.  My ./configure script says this there:

checking whether to enable mod_ssl... checking dependencies
checking for SSL/TLS toolkit base... /usr
checking for SSL/TLS toolkit version...
checking for SSL/TLS toolkit includes... /usr/include
checking for SSL/TLS toolkit libraries... /usr/lib
  adding "-I/usr/include/openssl" to INCLUDES
  adding "-lssl" to LIBS
  adding "-lcrypto" to LIBS
checking for SSL_set_state... no
checking for SSL_set_cert_store... no
checking whether to enable mod_ssl... yes (default)

Hope this helps,

--Cliff

---

From: "Zac Hillier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:01:19 +0100

Cliff,

Thanks for your help. Hmm however...

I now seem able to get apache to locate openssl and I'm now getting an error
during the configure.

The configure line reads:

./configure --with-ssl=/home/wserve/_s-store/openssl-0.9.6c --enable-ssl --e
nable-mods-all=shared --prefix=/usr/local/apache2

The error and line above read:

Checking for SSL/TLS toolkit base... /home/wserve/_s-store/openssl-0.9.6c
Checking for SSL/TLS toolkit version...
Checking for SSL/TLS toolkit includes...
/home/wserve/_s-store/openssl-0.9.6c/include
Checking for SSL/TLS toolkit libraries... configure: error: OpenSSL
libraries not found

So I checked in the openssl folder an there is no obvious lib or library
folder, I've tried re-installing openssl but the same happens, can you tell
me where to go next?

Thanks for any help

Zac

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 05:12:07 -0400 (EDT)

> nable-mods-all=shared --prefix=/usr/local/apache2

Is that the path to the source code distribution directory or the install
directory?  It should be the install directory prefix.  For example, my
OpenSSL is installed under /usr/lib with its include files in
/usr/include, so my configure argument is --with-ssl=/usr .

And I think you mean --enable-mods-shared=all rather than
--enable-mods-all=shared.  But that's a different issue.

--Cliff