Subject: problem with environment variables (RESEND)

From: "Will Glass-Husain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:35:15 -0700

Hi,

[Apologies if this note was already on the list- could you resend responses?  
I didn't see it appear on the mail archives, so I've subscribed to the list and am
trying again.]

I've recently installed a SSL certificate on a server of mine, and am trying
(unsuccessfully) to get it to work with Tomcat 4.1 (mod_jk connector).  I've
narrowed the problem down to that the Apache environeent variables don't
exist.   (e.g. HTTPS,  SSL_SESSION_ID, SSL_CIPHER, SSL_CLIENT_CERT).  I've
verified with a simple html file that uses SSI <!--#printenv --> to list all
the variables in the SSL site.  No SSL* variables appear in the resulting
web page.

I do know that SSL is up and running, because I see the padlock in my
non-Tomcat directories (e.g. with straight HTML or PHP).

Anyone have any ideas?

Here's the relevant lines from my Apache conf.  I'm running Apache 1.3.19.

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>

<VirtualHost 216.40.226.218:443>
        ServerName   broadcast.forio.com
        User         ad
        Group        adgroup
        DocumentRoot /usr/psa/home/vhosts/broadcast.forio.com/httpsdocs
        CustomLog
/usr/psa/home/vhosts/broadcast.forio.com/logs/access_ssl_log combined
        ErrorLog
/usr/psa/home/vhosts/broadcast.forio.com/logs/error_ssl_log
        <Directory /usr/psa/home/vhosts/broadcast.forio.com/httpsdocs>
                SSLRequireSSL
                SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +ExportCertData
                Options +Includes -ExecCGI
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
        JkExtractSSL On
        JkHTTPSIndicator HTTPS
        JkSESSIONIndicator SSL_SESSION_ID
        JkCIPHERIndicator SSL_CIPHER
        JkCERTSIndicator SSL_CLIENT_CERT

        <Directory "/usr/psa/home/vhosts/broadcast.forio.com/httpsdocs">
                SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +ExportCertData
        </Directory>
</IfModule>

Thanks, WILL

_______________________________________
Forio Business Simulations
Will Glass-Husain
(415) 440-7500 phone
(415) 235-4293 mobile

[email-masked]
www.forio.com