Subject: RE: Maintainership of mod_ssl

From: "Jose Correia (J)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:14:02 +0200

Hi all

I agree, I haven't seen much movement/improvements with mod_ssl in the
last months and in this industry things need to get moving in order to
keep the software in touch with its neighbours (apache, open_ssl,
mod_authz_ldap to name a few) and therefore each one improving on the
other.  

If Ralf cannot afford the time then I am for someone else (like you
Tim) to take over the reigns (either fully or partially). It is really
important that users see mod_ssl constantly improving itself.

Best regards
Jose Correia

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Tassonis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 25 September 2002 15:50
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Maintainership of mod_ssl

Hi Ralf and everybody

Wouldn't it now be about time to transfer maintainership of mod_ssl to
somebody else (if there is anybody willing and capable available) , as
this software is now obviously unmaintained except for important
security
fixes.

Ralf has done a tremendous job in providing and maintaining mod_ssl,
but
obviously has no more time left to actively work on it.

But there are still people (me at least) who would like to enhance
mod_ssl
beyond the very neccessary. Unfortunately mails with patches to do so
are
not even replied.

How do other people and most of all, how does Ralf think about this?

Bye
Tim
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:08:50 -0700

Part of the reson is that mod_ssl was moved into the Apache 2.0
codebase, development has been quite active there. 
So although 1.3 development may be necessary and useful, long term I think
2.0 is the way to go

Cheers

Daniel

---

From: Tim Tassonis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:26:22 +0200

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:08:50 -0700
daniel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So although 1.3 development may be necessary and useful, long term I
> think 2.0 is the way to go

Of course you are right. But at the present time, Apache 1.3 is still the
widely used Apache production server, since most modules haven't been
ported yet. I'm quite sure this situation will remain for a year or so.
That's quite a long time to wait for needed functionality.

Btw.: I'm definitely the wrong man for the job, lacking both resources and
skills to be resonsible for such an important module.

Bye
Tim