Subject: Using ssl/mod_ssl on non-apache HTTP server

From: "Beau E. Cox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:34:14 -1000

Hi -

I'm new to ssl/mod_ssl so please forgive me if this post
is out in left field. I have a new contract to develop
secure TCP/IP communication between many customer sites.
I have prototyped a non-secure HTTP server/client system
written in Perl. My client likes it - but he demands high-
level security.

In my years of web programming, there has always been the
'security' guy around to take care of these 'details' for
me, but now I am him... :)

I have been plowing through the Openssl, Perl modules
(Net::SSLeay, etc.) documentation, but it's slow going
and it hasn't 'clicked' yet for me.

Do any of you have suggestions of other resources that
might help me? HOWTOs, FAQs, Articles, Books, anything?

Aloha => Beau.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Beau E. Cox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:43:27 -1000

Wait!

Please ignore (for now) my recent post (below). A friend just
suggested CPAN's IO::Socket::SSL - which, on first look,
my solve my problems.

Sorry to have wasted bandwidth and your time.

Aloha => Beau;

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Beau E. Cox
> Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:34 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Using ssl/mod_ssl on non-apache HTTP server
> 
> 
> Hi -
>

---

From: Daniel Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:48:10 -0800

Take a look at the code of Webmin, it uses a Perl based webserver that can
use SSL if available. http://www.webmin.com
I have a chapter online introducing the main SSL concepts, it is focused on apache
but it should be useful for the basics:
http://www.apacheworld.org/ty24/
then, for the programming side of things, this is a good book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059600270X
As a reference book, I found this one invaluable:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201615983

Cheers

Daniel