Subject: SSL_R_INTERNAL_ERROR while handshaking

From: Mike Whitaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:41:18 +0000

[Also posted to openssl-users]

Can anyone shed any light on the following?

We have a customer's SSL client talking to a CGI on a mod_ssl enabled 
Apache. The CGI (Perl) basically reads a POST request and copies the whole 
of stdin to a file, and that's it. (It does remember to close the file, 
and returns a 200 and an empty text/plain document.)

The first time, everything works fine. Second and subsequent attempts get 
the following. After about 30 mins, something seems to time out, the next 
request works, and again subsequent ones fail...

[Mon May 13 00:03:16 2002] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server 
customer.confidential:443, client nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) (OpenSSL library error 
follows)
[Mon May 13 00:03:16 2002] [error] OpenSSL:  
error:14094438:lib(20):func(148):reason(1080)

According to my not-very-expert reading of the source, this seems to be 
the error SSL_R_INTERNAL_ERROR from ssl3_read_bytes in OpenSSL, which 
appears to translate very roughly to "What the **** was THAT pattern of 
bytes, 'cause it sure wasn't supposed to happen right here!"

OpenSSL version, to the current limit of my knowledge, is newer than 
0.9.6b (it has the fix for big CA lists in handshaking). I can get more 
details from the customer, but they ain't awake yet (being US-based) and 
it'd be good to know what else to ask.
-- 
Mike Whitaker      [email-masked]    +44-1733-327545

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]