Subject: compiling apache2039

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:36:09 -0700

Even with just a ./configure I have many parse and symbol errors in the config.log when I conifgure apache2039 although it exits with a zero. Is that OK or do I need to work with someone to resolve these errors. I submitted a bug report but it is probably way down the priority list. Are these errors normal?? Any one familiar with these errors? Also, why would the script exit with 0 if the subroutines are failing?? Educate me. Thanks

configure:3992: gcc -c  -g -O2 -pthreads  -DSOLARIS2=8 -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTIC
S -D_REENTRANT conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:2: parse error before `me'
configure:3995: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#ifndef __cplusplus
  choke me   

configure:5549: gcc -o conftest  -g -O2 -pthreads  -DSOLARIS2=8 -D_POSIX_PTHREAD
_SEMANTICS -D_REENTRANT   -L/tmp/httpd-2.0.39/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib conf
test.c  >&5
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
bindprocessor                       /var/tmp/ccNLkua3.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5552: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5511 "configure"  

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:41:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

> Even with just a ./configure I have many parse and symbol errors in the
> config.log when I conifgure apache2039 although it exits with a zero. Is
> that OK or do I need to work with someone to resolve these errors.

That's totally normal.  These "errors" are how autoconf determines which
features your compiler, linker, and system headers/libraries support.  If
it compiles and links, that's a "yes, the feature is available."  If it
fails to compile and link that's just a "no, the feature is not
available."  But a particular feature not being available is not usually
fatal.  The messages configure prints on stdout would tell you if it was a
fatal condition.

In other words: ignore config.log unless you encounter a fatal condition
and need to find out exactly what happened.

--Cliff