Subject: self signed certificate

From: Jan Staschulat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:12:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi, I have problems creating a self signed certificate. 
I'm using OpenSSL 0.9.7a on SunOS 5.7 sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
I went through the description of FAQ-page:
http://www.corserv.com/freebsd/apache-ssl-howto.html

OpenSSL quits with the error when I want to sign the server.csr:

$> openssl ca -config ca.config -out server.crt -infiles server.csr
...
Sign the certificate? [y/n]:y
failed to update database
TXT_DB error number 2

I searched on google and found the same question on the modssl-users
mailing list (Dez 2002) , which is still unanswered:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg15877.html

Any Ideas?

Jan

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Aaron Stromas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:43:51 -0500 (EST)

Jan Staschulat said:
> $> openssl ca -config ca.config -out server.crt -infiles server.csr ...

My guess is you don't have the database file. On unix system do "touch <f>",
where <f> is the value of the database in ca.config.

I also remember having to initialise the serial file: echo 00 > serial

HTH

-- 
Aaron Stromas         | "Tik-tik-tik!!!... ja, Pantani is weg..."
[email-masked]        | BRTN commentator
+1 (301) 493 4933     | L'Alpe d'Huez
http://www.izoard.com | 1995 Tour de France