Subject: Server stops serving

From: "Loren K. Louthan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:18:12 -0700

Hello,

Hopefully, this will ring a bell for someone:

My secure server starts up with no problem. It serves pages for 5 mins.,
10 mins, sometimes even a half-hour. Eventually, however, it stops
serving pages. The clients will see "opening page *server-address* ", or
"Requesting page from *server-address*". But the page never shows up, it
is blank.And we don't get any "Time-out" error messages, either.

At about the time this happens, I get the following in my ssl_engine_log
file:

[05/Jun/2002 11:22:35 09388] [info]  Connection to child 10 established
(server www.MYDOMAINNAME.com:443, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
[05/Jun/2002 11:22:35 09388] [info]  Seeding PRNG with 136 bytes of entropy
[05/Jun/2002 11:22:36 09388] [warn]  Failed to acquire global mutex lock
[05/Jun/2002 11:22:36 09388] [warn]  Failed to release global mutex lock

Now, in %server-root%/logs (the path specified in httpd.conf) there is a
ssl_mutex file, but it is empty.

There is no relevant error in the either server's or system error logs.

Server config is:
Apache Version:		2.0.36
mod_ssl version:	2.8.7-4
openssl version		0.9.6b-18

System is RedHat 7.3, Apache was built from source tarball, openssl is
from the RPM that installs w/RH 7.3

I can send httpd.conf settings, if necesarry.

Thanks in advance,
-- 
Loren K Louthan | tel: 818 786 2110  |  AIM: LorenSRAR
Network Administrator
Southland Regional Association of REALTORS /
CRISNet Regional MLS

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Gagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:19:51 -0400

There was a post in usenet about this issue.  I'll forward one of the 
last messages with some of the history.  It should help.

-- 
.tom

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:32:14 -0400 (EDT)

> [05/Jun/2002 11:22:36 09388] [warn]  Failed to release global mutex lock

That's a bug.  (For the full discussion on the matter, see PR8124 at
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8124 .)  It was fixed in
CVS a few weeks ago and the fix will be in 2.0.37 when it is released
(hopefully very very soon).

> mod_ssl version:	2.8.7-4

Um, that combination is not possible.  :)  I'll assume you meant Apache
2.0.36 and the mod_ssl that came with it (also numbered 2.0.36).

--Cliff