Subject: Re: apache2 won't start

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:21:02 -0700

Thank you for the info. I will work on debugging but here is another question. Why, when ssl and apache are under /usr/local,  is vhosts.c still under the source code directory? This seems more like a compilation problem although I have compiled it a couple of times. 

>>> [email-masked] 06/10/02 09:56AM >>>
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

>  ./bin/apachectl startssl [Mon Jun 10 10:19:51 2002] [crit] [Mon Jun 10
> 10:19:51 2002] file vhost.c, line 232, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS"
> failed Abort - core dumped ./bin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be
> started

That means the call to apr_sockaddr_info_get() on the address
"255.255.255.255" failed (the call is made because you're using
"_default_" in one of your vhosts).  So then the question is: why did it
fail?  Well, to know that, I need to know (a) what the actual return code
was, (b) what OS you're running, and it would be helpful to also have (c)
a backtrace.

See http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html for help on fetching b and
c.  :)

Thanks,
Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org 
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked] 
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:23:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

> Thank you for the info. I will work on debugging but here is another
> question. Why, when ssl and apache are under /usr/local, is vhosts.c
> still under the source code directory? This seems more like a
> compilation problem although I have compiled it a couple of times.

Um, because vhosts.c is one of the source files?  I guess I don't
understand the question.  It's not a compilation problem -- it compiles
just fine.  It's a runtime problem.  It just so happens that the runtime
error occurred in code that was compiled from vhosts.c, and the debugger
is telling you which source file to look in for the line that faulted.

--Cliff