Subject: RE: SSL and Virtual hosts

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:34:28 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mads Toftum [mailto:[email-masked]]
> > Server Version: Apache/1.3.29 Ben-SSL/1.52 (Debian GNU/Linux)
> > debian versions: apache-ssl  1.3.29.0.1-5
> > 
> You're asking on the wrong list then - this is the mod_ssl list, while
> you're running apache-ssl which lives at http://www.apache-ssl.org/

Of course you're right, but since it's a Friday and since this is the
number one Frequently Made Mistake on SSL and since it applies equally
to apache-ssl, mod_ssl or any other implementation of SSL:

You are trying to do name-based virtual-hosting with SSL. You can't.
It's not an apache problem, it's a fundamental limitation of the HTTPS
protocol. See http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC47 for the
mod_ssl explanation. Probably apache-ssl will have a similar FAQ.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored. 

> 
> vh
> 
> Mads Toftum
> -- 
> `Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
> Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
> 
Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat
keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This
e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the
exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est
un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du
Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently
and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your
system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print,
or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the
views of the sender's company. 

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]