Subject: SSLCryptoDevice Directive

From: Tyler Walden <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Mar 2003 16:11:21 -0800

I am attempting to get a CryptoSwift PCI harware accelerator engine
working with:

OpenSSL 0.9.7a
modssl 2.8.12
apache 1.3.27

When adding the 'SSLCryptoDevice cswift' line to my httpd.conf I receive
the following:

Starting httpd:  /opt/apache/bin/httpd -DPHP4 -DSSL  Syntax error on
line 1024 of /opt/apache/conf/httpd.conf:

Invalid command 'SSLCryptoDevice', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
module not included in the server configuration. I have tried placing
the directive in the global ssl options and in the <If module mod_ssl.c>
and get the same error.

I assume that possibly apache is still using an older verison of mod_ssl
somehow. I know since openssl 0.9.7 the engine code is built in so you
don't need the --enable-rule=SSL_EXPERIMENTAL anymore or is that
incorrect?

Is there an easy way to determine what version of mod_ssl Apache is
actually loading?

Any help would be great! Thanx!

-- 
Tyler Walden
SwiftView, Inc.
Network Administrator
[email-masked]
(503)885-9392[126] voice
(503)885-9352 fax
http://www.swiftview.com

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Estrade Matthieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:27:11 +0100

Hi,

To know the version of mod_ssl running, you can read the logs at the 
apache startup, or do a connection with nc or telnet on your webserver 
and do a HEAD request. The server will answer sending the Server header 
with the server version.

You need the --enable-rule=SSL_EXPERIMENTAL The directive 
SSLCryptoDevice is provided by mod_ssl. without the SSL_EXPERIMENTAL 
rule, it doesn't provide the directive.
So you have to recompile mod_ssl with it.

regards,

Matthieu Estrade

>Any help would be great! Thanx!

_____________________________________________________________________
Envie de discuter en "live" avec vos amis ? Télécharger MSN Messenger
http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/m la 1ère messagerie instantanée de France

---

From: Mark Boddington <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:20:38 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

> don't need the --enable-rule=SSL_EXPERIMENTAL anymore or is that

The SSL_EXPERIMENTAL rule is an option to modSSL, not OpenSSL. You need to
enable it to use hardware crypto in modSSL. I built modSSL with this rule
enabled and my Ncipher Crypto module works fine. Your apache directive is
correct.

> Is there an easy way to determine what version of mod_ssl Apache is

try "strings httpd | grep 'mod_ssl/'"

> Any help would be great! Thanx!

Cheers