Subject: Setup help

From: Warren Macken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:26:59 -0000

I have RH 7.1 server with Apache 1.3 installed and running,I need to get SSL
up and running.I have mod_ssl downloaded and ready to install but I want to
check what the is the best procedure first.
 
1: Where do I install mod_ssl and how do I configure to incorporate the
super cert. I have purchased from Thawte ?
2: do I need to install openss ?
 
Thanks

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:27:22 -0500 (EST)

Your best course would be to untar that modssl sourceball and read the
documentation.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Pete Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:32:39 -0600

mod_ssl is pre-packaged with with RH 7.1.  The config items are in the
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, starting with:

SSLEngine on

When you say your "super cert" I'm guessing you mean your server cert.
You need to put that cert in the /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt directory (and
then run the 'make' command there), and then put your cert's
corresponding private key file in the /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key directory.

Then, in your /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, you need to edit these
two lines to point to your new cert and its key:

SSLCertificateFile
/etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/your-thawte-server-cert-filename.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile
/etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/your-thawte-cert-private-key-filename.key

Then, run

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

You should be able to see your default home page using
https://your.site.name/ rather than http://your.site.name/

Warren Macken wrote:

> I have RH 7.1 server with Apache 1.3 installed and running,I need to
> get SSL up and running.I have mod_ssl downloaded and ready to install
> but I want to check what the is the best procedure first.1: Where do I
> install mod_ssl and how do I configure to incorporate the super cert.
> I have purchased from Thawte ?2: do I need to install openss ?Thanks

--
Pete Palmer ([email-masked])