Subject: fakebasicauth documentation is *wrong* and doesn't work for me

From: "Oliver Bode" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:19:49 +1000

Hello,

I can't get fakebasicauth to work. The documentation is *wrong* and doesn't
work for me.

Can someone show me how I can set this up as I am sick of enerting my
authentication details for my certificate everytime I look at a file in a
secured directory?

>From the howto http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_howto.html:

SSLVerifyClient      none
<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/secure/area>
SSLVerifyClient      require
SSLVerifyDepth       5
SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt
SSLCACertificatePath conf/ssl.crt
SSLOptions           +FakeBasicAuth
SSLRequireSSL
AuthName             "Snake Oil Authentication"
AuthType             Basic
AuthUserFile         /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.passwd
require              valid-user
</Directory>

Note that the SSLCACertificateFile and SSLCACertificatePath are *inside* a
<directory> when it states in
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_reference.html#ToC14

that the context of these directives are in:  server config, virtual host

Also from the howto:
/C=DE/L=Munich/O=Snake Oil, Ltd./OU=Staff/CN=Foo:xxj31ZMTZzkVA
/C=US/L=S.F./O=Snake Oil, Ltd./OU=CA/CN=Bar:xxj31ZMTZzkVA
/C=US/L=L.A./O=Snake Oil, Ltd./OU=Dev/CN=Quux:xxj31ZMTZzkVA

What is "xxj31ZMTZzkVA" ?

This string is not what I get when I use htpasswrd with the password as
"password"  I get:KI5eE8rTJvs.U and when I use the -m switch I get:
$apr1$KujN4/..$exMhWW135aqs/4cQbZJ2v/

Not that it matters because with whatever I use I just get forbidden !

Does it work for anybody ?
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Binder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:13:05 +0200

Hi!

> What is "xxj31ZMTZzkVA" ?

It's what you get when crypt()ing "password" using the salt "xx".
Your "KI5eE8rTJvs.U" is the result of crypt()ing "password" using
the salt "KI".

I can't help you with your main problem, though. Sorry.

Ciao

Thomas

-- 
"Give me enough medals, and I'll win any war."
		-- Napoleon