Subject: Browser specific OpenSSL mod_ssl problem !

From: "Arthur Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 04:36:06 -0400

Hi All.
Help. Netscape is driving me to drinks!
Problem : Netscape 7.1 will not "redirect" from http://my.first.dom to
https://my.secure.dom, claims it is transmitting in clear text (rather than
encrypted).

Objective : from first web-site, create a linik to a secure web-site inside
index.html using an anchor e.g. <A HREF="https://my.secure.dom">ClickMe</A>

Set up : Apache2 httpd + mod_ssl + Tomcat + Oracle. Tomcat holds java
servlets. Apache server has applets communicating with servlets.

What works : Everything works just fine using W98+MSIE5 or W98+Netscape6.2
or Linux+Mozilla.

What doesn't work : Using Netscape 7.1, When I key in the URL
"my.first.dom", it takes me to the web-site. When I click on the link to
"my.secure.dom", which does indeed take me to the secure site, it presents
the logon screen and the certificate. I logged on and accepted the
certificate. Normally in Netscape 6.2, the tiny lock located in bottom right
side of screen should be closed and shows the certificate when I click on
it. But in 7.1, the lock is NOT CLOSED and it says that the transmission is
in clear text for all to see.
However, if I key in the URL : https://my.secure.dom, the little lock closes
and shows the certificate.
...
[code]
(httpd.conf)
...
Listen 192.168.100.1:80
Listen 443
NameVirtualHost 192.168.100.1
<VirtualHost 192.168.100.1:80>
ServerName my.first dom
...
</VirtualHost>
# I added following redirect in the hope Netscape7.1 would work - didn't!
<VirtualHost 192.168.100.1:80>
Server my.secure.dom
Redirect /index.html https://my.secure.dom/index.html
</VirtualHost>
# as far as MSIE5 and Mozilla are concerned, they only need the following
lines to work properly
<VirtualHost>
ServerName my.secure.dom
...
   <IfModule mod_ssl.c> ... blablabla </IfModule>
...
<VirtualHost>
[/code]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]