Subject: SSLEngine on -- not working?

From: "Michael McLagan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:51:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

   In this saga of trying to figure out what's going on with our SSL 
setup here, I tried to access port 443 with telnet and with lynx using 
http on port 443.  Both produced appropriate apache log & output results 
for a standard http port!  I was expecting the "Trying to talk HTTP to an 
HTTPS port" error message.

   Our config has always looked like:

      <VirtualHost host:443>
         <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
            SSLCertificateFile    ~/cert
            SSLCertificateKeyFile ~/key
            SSLEngine on
         </IfModule>
      </VirtualHost>

   I thought the IfModule might be the problem so I commented it out and 
left the SSL commands intact.  When I load/add the SSL module, I get no 
errors but no SSL functionality.  When I don't load/add SSL, apache 
complains about unknown directives and refuses to start.  Clearly it's 
being loaded and it's processing the config options but it doesn't seem 
to be intercepting traffic.

   Anybody seen anything like this?  I'm wide open to suggestions, I've 
already spent 3 days on this to no avail! :(

   Michael

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:00:20 +0200

> already spent 3 days on this to no avail! :(
There's nothing in the error_log? I would definetely suggest using the full
file path instead of ~/cert and ~/key.
Are you sure this isn't wrapped in something like <Ifdefine SSL>?

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
`Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!' - lwall

---

From: "Michael McLagan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:18:33 -0400 (EDT)

>file path instead of ~/cert and ~/key.

There are no messages in /var/log/httpd/error other than nice happy
startup messages.

I do have full paths, I just changed it for the email (lazy, security).

>Are you sure this isn't wrapped in something like <Ifdefine SSL>?

Definitely.  I don't use IfDefine anywhere and I commented out the 
IfModule to see if things worked better.

   Michael