Subject: problems with WebTV

From: Christopher McCrory <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 11:36:33 -0800

Hello...

	We are having SSL problems with WebTV clients.  Static pages seem to
work, but POSTs seem to break with the following SSL error:

[Thu Jan 23 11:18:01 2003] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed: HTTP
spoken on HTTPS port; trying to send HTML error page (OpenSSL library
error follows)

[Thu Jan 23 11:18:01 2003] [error] OpenSSL:
error:1407609C:lib(20):func(118):reason(156)

What voodoo do I need to adjust for this 0.01% of the market browser? ;)

Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a
PHP/4.3.0 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

-- 
Christopher McCrory
 "The guy that keeps the servers running"
 
[email-masked]
 http://www.pricegrabber.com
 
Let's face it, there's no Hollow Earth, no robots, and
no 'mute rays.' And even if there were, waxed paper is
no defense.  I tried it.  Only tinfoil works.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:18:40 -0500

WebTV  has been behind all other browsers for years.  Their JavaScript VM
was so bad, that we actually checked for WebTV within the client and use a
JavaScript POPUP that stated that our site would not work.  My guess is,
this is just another area that did not get implemented.  I might add some
client code to check for WebTV and change all URL targets dynamically to
just use HTTP.  Let me know if you need help in that area.

Peace,
KevinK

---

From: Christopher McCrory <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 10:16:08 -0800

Hello...

> just use HTTP.  Let me know if you need help in that area.

I found the problem.  One of the POST URLs was relative.  WebTV
interpeted this "/somepage.php" as
"http://www.pricegrabber.com:443/somepage.php"

:(

After I posted, I reread the error. "...HTTP spoken on HTTPS..." That
pointed me in the right direction.

"log files are your friend"