Subject: Re: .htaccess not processed with client authentication

From: Angus Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:46:42 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,

> Try to put all these directives in httpd.conf file and
> also try to put the SSLRequire directive as follows

But I want each user to set their client authentication access control to their directory.

Is there any bug with previous versions of mod_ssl which would make client authentication fails?

Angus Lee
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 07:46:54 +0100

> Is there any bug with previous versions of mod_ssl which would make client authentication fails?
Not in any of the recent versions ... but since you seem to be wanting
.htaccess (I missed the beginning of this question) - have you made sure
that AllowOverride allows the usage of .htaccess within those directories?
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#allowoverride

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: James Barwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 14:48:15 +0900

>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#allowoverride
I FOUND A BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   At least I think I did...

If you have the following

           http://www.virtual1.com/directory/securedirectory
           http://www.virtual2.com/directory/securedirectory

and on the file system virtual1.com DocumeentRoot is
         /usr/local/virtual1/directory/securedirectory
and virtual2.com DocumentRoot is
         /usr/local/virtual2/directory/securedirectory --> 
/usr/local/virtual1/directory/securdierectory

the .htaccess file in /usr/local/virtual1/directory/securedirectory will 
NOT be processed for virtual2.com.
 I tried this MANY MANY MANY times.  Apache 1.3.22. The .htaccess file 
is not honored via a sym-link.  Go figure...

Don't dare tell me I'm wrong...this was my experience.  If it works for 
you, great...this is just something to watch out for.
I had to remove my Symlinks and copy directory contents to make 
virtual2.com work.

I went up and down my httpd.conf file.  BOTH virtual domains work 
correctly UNTIL I make a directory shared.
There was a <directory> entry in my httpd.conf for
   <directory /usr/local/virtual1>
    </directory>
    <directory /user/local/virtual2>
    <directory>
with allow overrides options.

I did NOT try
         /usr/local/shared/securedirectory
         /usr/local/virtual1/directory/securedirectory --> 
/usr/local/shared/securedirectory
         /usr/local/virtual2/directory/securedirectory --> 
/usr/local/shared/securedirectory

I'd be interesting, however, to see what happens.  My suspicion is that 
the .htaccess file won't be processed because of the
symlink.

I suspect you will also need a /usr/local/shared/securedirectory 
directory section with allow overrides...but really you shouldn't
since the followsymlink options should honor the options of the "Parent" 
directory. IMHO.

JDB

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Barwick
VP Technology
 
????????????
?????????????????
Sentient Health Japan, KK
Aoyama Palacio Tower 11F
3-6-7 Kita-Aoyama
Minatu-ku, Tokyo 107-0061
 
????????????????????
?107-0061 ???????3-6-7
????????? 11?
Tel: (03) 5778-7524
Fax: (03) 5778-7676
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.sentienthealth.com
Tel: (03) 5778-7524
Fax: (03) 5778-7676
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.sentienthealth.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

_
_