Subject: hardwiring the semaphores directory, revisited

From: Hernan Laffitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:02:25 -0800

After looking at the source code, I realized that the
problem I described in my previous post is related to
the FAQ entry titled:

   "Apache creates files in a directory declared by the internal
   EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH define. ..."

The FAQ entry doesn't mention semaphores or the error
message a badly-defined EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH can cause,
so I missed it on my initial troubleshooting of this
problem.

I think it would be useful to add a couple of sentences to this
entry, something like:

   If you don't have permissions to write to the directory
   pointed by EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH, httpd may fail on startup
   with an error message similar to this:

   Ouch! ap_mm_create(1048576, "/opt/apache/logs/httpd.mm.25669") failed
   Error: MM: mm:core: failed to open semaphore file (Permission
   denied): OS: No such file or directory

This could help people doing a textual search for the error
message. Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Hernan

-- 
--
Hernan Laffitte
Systems Administrator, HP Labs / Storage Systems Department
http://www.hpl.hp.com
[email-masked]
tel (650)857-4937 fax (650)857-5548
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]