Subject: mod_ssl/mod_perl: fine in isolation, install woes when together

From: "Bryn Dyment" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:29:47 -0700

I've isolated this pretty well... hope someone has some insight:

After a fresh* install of FreeBSD 4.8, I can build Apache alone with
mod_ssl, and Apache alone with mod_perl (static).  However, I'm getting
errors when trying to install both together.

Here are my steps:

	tar -xzf apache_1.3.28.tar.gz
	tar -xzf mod_ssl-2.8.15-1.3.28.tar.gz
	tar -xzf mod_perl-1.29.tar.gz

	cd mod_ssl-2.8.15-1.3.28
	./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.28

	cd ../mod_perl-1.29
	perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.28/src \
		EVERYTHING=1 PREP_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1
	make
	make install

	cd ../apache_1.3.28
	setenv SSL_BASE SYSTEM
	./configure --with-layout=FreeBSD \
		--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
		--enable-module=ssl
	make

It's during this make that things go south.  It successfully finishes both
the ssl and perl sections (i.e., I see "<=== src/modules/ssl" and "<===
src/modules/perl" in the log).  Immediately after, I get two successful
'gcc' lines, then the following:

---
gcc -funsigned-char -DMOD_SSL=208115 -DMOD_PERL -DUSE_PERL_SSI
-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H -fno-strict-aliasing -DEAPI
-DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED `./apaci` -L/usr/lib -o httpd
buildmark.o modules.o  modules/standard/libstandard.a modules/ssl/libssl.a
modules/perl/libperl.a main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a ap/libap.a
lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a -lcrypt -lssl -lcrypto -Wl,-E
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i386-freebsd/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
-L/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i386-freebsd/CORE -lperl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc

modules/perl/libperl.a(mod_perl.o): In function `perl_restart_handler':
mod_perl.o(.text+0x23b): undefined reference to `Perl_get_sv'
modules/perl/libperl.a(mod_perl.o): In function `perl_restart':
mod_perl.o(.text+0x2c7): undefined reference to `Perl_get_sv'
mod_perl.o(.text+0x2fe): undefined reference to `Perl_eval_pv'
mod_perl.o(.text+0x31a): undefined reference to `Perl_sv_setsv_flags'
modules/perl/libperl.a(mod_perl.o): In function `mod_perl_set_cwd':
mod_perl.o(.text+0x3c0): undefined reference to `Perl_eval_pv'
mod_perl.o(.text+0x3d0): undefined reference to `Perl_sv_setsv_flags'

[pages and pages more of similar errors...]

Ideas?

___
*no packages/ports, upgraded to Perl 5.8.1 (from source), installed
Bundle::LWP via CPAN utility

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]