Subject: Problems with SSLSessionCache

From: Patrick Sweitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:37:17 -0500

Apache setup :

Windows 2000 Server / Apache 2.0.47 / mos_ssl 2.0.48 / OpenSSL 0.9.7c
I have one site responding to HTTP (80) and two virtual hosts responding 
to HTTPS (443) all using separate IP addresses.

I have a question about the SSLSessionCache directive....
The directive was setup to the default "dbm:logs/ssl_scache" but started 
to cause problems...
The HTTP site kept running but both the HTTPS sites would hang....   They 
would initiate the SSL handshaking but would hang at that point.

I was able to get the HTTPS sites to start responding again by deleting 
ssl_scache.pag and ssl_scache.dir

Is this a known problem??

I have since changed the SSLSessionCache directive to none because I 
cannot have it cause all HTTPS sites to hang...
I have read that there is a performance hit for not using 
SSLSessionCache.... 
Does anyone know how much of a performance hit there is?

Cheers,

Patrick Sweitzer
Server Services
[email-masked]