Subject: Does Verisign Global Server ID requires Stronghold?

From: Viljo Marrandi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:19:39 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

Before I wasn't subscribed to the list, so sorry if this comes twice.

We're making here one secure site and we ordered from Verisign their
Global Server ID and there in ordering form it says that these ID's are
available for platforms like C2Net Apache Stronghold, IBM, Netscape etc.
So do I really have to buy for $1000 USD Stronghold and $700 costing
RedHat or I can use this ID on free Apache/mod_ssl too?

I found out that Stronghold also bases on mod_ssl and I didn't find any
articles saying that these ID's don't work on free servers. Please
enlighten me on this.

Rgds,
Viljo

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "M.E. Post" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:29:24 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Viljo Marrandi" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 3:19 PM
Subject: Does Verisign Global Server ID requires Stronghold?

> articles saying that these ID's don't work on free servers. Please

Trust me, you can use these global server id's as well for plain old Apache
with mod_ssl, I've used them myself. Questions is whether you really want a
global server id? The only difference (besides price) between the two is
that the global server id let's your clients "step-up" to 128 bit encryption
IF the client is an older export-crippled browser (IE < 5.01, NS < 4.5). The
standard secure server id also can do 128 bit encryption if the client
browser is 128 bit native.

If your clients all use relatively modern browsers (IE > 5.0 and NN > 4.5)
than you don't need to spend the extra cash, your clients can use the secure
server id and have strong encryption.

hth

Meint