Subject: [BugDB] sig 11 in mod_ssl module init (PR#702)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:52:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Full_Name: Bart van Leeuwen
Version: various
OS: FreeBSD
Submission from: (NULL) (195.64.50.136)

Situation:
Server has multiple virtual hosts and uses the namevirtualhost option.
A ssl virtual host is defined using its hostname instead of its ip.

Due to a dns failure, 1 of the names used for a ssl virtual host cannot be
resolved.
(can be simulated of course by defining a virtual host with a non existant
name)

When apache starts, it first complains about being unable to resolve the
hostname, then mod_ssl gets a sig 11 in its module init.
Taking a quick peek at the offending code reveals 2 things:
1. the variable addrs, which contains a pointer, is used without verification if
it actually points to anything.
2. mod_ssl contains code that should log a warning about the above
configuration, however, it doesn't log this warning.

Possible fix: first of all ensure there is a null check on addrs, 2nd, if the
check on multiple ssl virtual hosts on a single IP is indeed required, it would
make sense to compare the content of the according field in the addrs struct,
and not the pointer to that content (looks to me like its address is taken and
compared instead of its value)

regards, Bart van Leeuwen
DOOSYS IT Consultants   http://www.doosys.com/

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]