Subject: RE: make fails - no flex

From: "Petryczka, George" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:18:34 -0400

Actually i just tried touching the three files and i still get that same
error.  I'll try downloading a flex if i can find it.  Would lex work
though?

-----Original Message-----
From: Petryczka, George [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: make fails - no flex

Cliff,
This was attempted with mod_ssl 2.8.8-1.3.24 and apache 1.3.24.  

Won't touching those files cause some component not to be built?
And thanks.
-george

-----Original Message-----
From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 4:37 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: make fails - no flex

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Petryczka, George wrote:

> My apache make fails with:
> Error: Cannot load flex.
>
> I never heard of flex.  Is this just a fancy lex?  Can i substitute lex
for

> flex in the makefile?  I'm on HPUX11.0.
> Else can i download flex from somewhere?

fast lex.  It's GNU's lex.  But you shouldn't need it.  In the mod_ssl
build directory, do the following:

touch ssl_expr_parse.c
touch ssl_expr_parse.h
touch ssl_expr_scan.h

And then it shouldn't try to use flex anymore.  What version of
mod_ssl and Apache is this, by the way?

--Cliff

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:28:06 -0400 (EDT)

>> touch ssl_expr_scan.h

Crap, my fault... that last one should have been

touch ssl_expr_scan.c

There is no ssl_expr_scan.h.

--Cliff

(To answer your question, flex is found at
http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/flex.html , though like I said you
shouldn't need it.  And no, regular lex probably won't work, as flex has
some GNU extensions over regular lex, and ssl_expr_scan.l *might* actually
use them.)

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]
   Charlottesville, VA

---

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 23:13:09 +0100

> There is no ssl_expr_scan.h.

HP-UX make can be tricky here though because it will try to regenerate a
target if it has exactly the same mtime as a dependency, unlike other
makes.  Naively combining all of the above into a single 'touch'
invocation (or typing fast ;) would guarantee that lex is still run,
because ssl_expr_scan.c depends on ssl_expr_parse.h.

I think this should guarantee no flex/yacc invocations:

touch ssl_expr_parse.[ch] ssl_expr_scan.l
sleep 1
touch ssl_expr_scan.c

Ralf if you're listening, it would be good to do something like that for
the tarballs, since the timestamps are all the same by default at the
moment, so it always breaks on HP-UX.

joe