Subject: How to access control cgi-bin

From: "liangbin li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:09:36 +0000

Hi,

I install apache httpd server with mod_ssl. I broswer a access controled 
html file and it calls a programm under cgi-bin directory.

I want to know how I can set up access control with in the cgi-bin's 
programm?

Thanks,
David

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Boyle Owen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:00:29 +0200

>From: liangbin li [mailto:[email-masked]]
>

Is this what you want to happen?

>I want to know how I can set up access control with in the cgi-bin's 

Real access control is done at the server level (HTTP protocol), i.e. a layer below the application like CGI. So you can't control HTTP authentication from CGI. You could use a CGI form to authenticate users and then serve them the CGI output (i.e. have the CGI process all data going to the user). This is a bit laborious and involves writing a mini-webserver in CGI... What's wrong with the built-in authentication scheme?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle