Subject: Strong encryption

From: "Bray, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:36:24 -0000

Hi

We are using strong encryption with Apache (1.3.19) mod_ssl (2.8.5), openssl
(0.9.5).  We have the SSLCipher set to HIGH:+MEDIUM

This rejects weak browsers, i.e. less than 128 bit encryption but it does it
with a 'PAGE CAN NOT BE DISPLAYED'.  I have looked at the logs and have
found the error in client hello (no ciphers to share) but nothing goes into
the Apache access logs.

What we want to do is display a more friendly page helping the user upgrade
their browser.  Can you recommend any way to catch this error and output an
error page.

Regards
Mike Bray
--------------------------------------------------
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Mobile: +44 (0)7808 822 833
Tel.: +44 (0)1344 784371
Fax: +44 (0)1344 765442

If you have received this email in error please notify the SBS Helpdesk by
telephone on ++44 (0) 2380 76 5080 / 5000 or e-mail at
[email-masked].

This e-mail contains confidential information and is for the exclusive use
of the addressee/s.  If you are not the addressee, then any distribution,
copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please
advise the sender and delete it immediately.  We accept no liability for any
loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail.

Siemens Business Services Limited
Registered No: 1203466 England
Registered Office: Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FZ

-----------------------------------------------------------
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: NickM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:55:57 +0100 (CET)

One suggestion might be to drop the high security in apache and instead use a 
script to detect what encryption is requested then redirect as 
appropriate...possible even having the location redirected too using apache 
strong detect as a second measure.

Nick