Subject: wildcard certificate errors?

From: "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:53:44 +0100

Hello,

[26/Feb/2002 09:06:59 15055] [warn]  Init: (ssl.fantomas.sk:443) RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) *.fantomas.sk' does NOT match server name!?

I really don't understand this. *.fantomas.sk DOES match ssl.fantomas.sk,
right? It works but why does it produce warning?

-- 
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, [email-masked] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Warning: I don't wish to receive spam to this address.
 Varovanie: Nezelam si na tuto adresu dostavat akukolvek reklamnu postu.
 Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian C. Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:18:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:

> [26/Feb/2002 09:06:59 15055] [warn] Init: (ssl.fantomas.sk:443) RSA
> server certificate CommonName (CN) *.fantomas.sk' does NOT match server
> name!?
>

No, it doesn't, because there are no wildcard expansion patterns accepted
on the server end. Wildcard certs only work because the _browser_ accepts
the wildcard in the CN.

In any case the warning you are seeing is only a warning; it's not fatal.

- Julian

--
Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc <[email-masked]>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.
Tel.: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959
WWW: www.verticalscope.com

"Windows NT encountered the following error:
The operation was completed successfully."