Subject: Error when signing my cert

From: Søren Neigaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:00:20 +0100

Please let me know if I'm asking the wrong question here. I'm a newbie, and
I really don't know how to get any further.

I have followed the FAQ:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC28

And I have made my own CA, but when I try to do:

./sign.sh server.csr

I get the following error:

Using configuration from ca.config
./ca.key: No such file or directory
trying to load CA private key
52039:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:245:fopen('./ca.key','r')
52039:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
lib:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:247:
CA verifying: server.crt <-> CA cert
server.crt: No such file or directory
52040:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:245:fopen('server.crt','r')
52040:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
lib:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:247:

What is this, and how do I fix it?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:[email-masked]
--
 "Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it."

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:54:06 +0100

> What is this, and how do I fix it?
Read what it says - "No such file or directory" for both ./ca.key and server.crt
Start with http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC29 and follow the
directions exactly how they are written in the FAQ.

vh

Mads Toftum
-- 
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Baldwin Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:48:59 -0800

Hi,
I got your message but I am newer than you, so I must say I can't be any
help.
It seems that nobody wants to answer questions, or perhaps I am doing it
wrong.
Best Wishes,
Baldwin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mads Toftum" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Error when signing my cert

> > 52039:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/b
ss_file.c:245:fopen('./ca.key','r')
> > 52039:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
lib:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_fil
> > 52040:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/b
ss_file.c:245:fopen('server.crt','r')
> > 52040:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
lib:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_fil

---

From: Søren Neigaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:58:30 +0100

Hi

I agree, nobody on this list wants newbies :(

/Søren

Saturday, March 23, 2002, 8:48:59 PM, Baldwin wrote:

BM> Hi,
BM> I got your message but I am newer than you, so I must say I can't be any
BM> help.
BM> It seems that nobody wants to answer questions, or perhaps I am doing it
BM> wrong.
BM> Best Wishes,
BM> Baldwin
BM> ----- Original Message -----
BM> From: "Mads Toftum" <[email-masked]>
BM> To: <[email-masked]>
BM> Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 10:54 AM
BM> Subject: Re: Error when signing my cert

>> > Please let me know if I'm asking the wrong question here. I'm a newbie,
BM> and
>> > 52039:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
BM> directory:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/b
BM> ss_file.c:245:fopen('./ca.key','r')
>> > 52039:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
BM> lib:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_fil
>> > 52040:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
BM> directory:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/b
BM> ss_file.c:245:fopen('server.crt','r')
>> > 52040:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
BM> lib:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_fil
BM> e.c:247:
>> Read what it says - "No such file or directory" for both ./ca.key and
BM> server.crt
>> Start with http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC29 and follow
BM> the
>> directions exactly how they are written in the FAQ.

BM> ______________________________________________________________________
BM> Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
BM> User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
BM> Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Mads Toftum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:43:28 +0100

> I agree, nobody on this list wants newbies :(
To some extent I actually agree with you - but our reasons are probably 
different. First of all: setting up an SSL server is serious business,
and when done incorrectly it is at best something that gives you a false
sense of security, at its worst you end up with less security. This is
the main reason that I think some people might be better off getting
experienced people to run their servers instead of fumbling blindly.
The other reason is that some people does not spend even a minimal amount
of time trying to understand the error messages that they get or as in
this case does not try to understand it even when somebody has taken time
to make it even more obvious.
Enough luserbashing (I'm probably just taking out my bad mood and lack
of sleep on the nearest target)
I suggest that you try creating your certificates as described in
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#cert-dummy you may wish to
change the command ``make certificate'' slightly such that it is:

make certificate TYPE=CUSTOM

vh

Mads Toftum

---

From: "RON MCKEEVER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:56:51 -0800

Something I would like to add to this last email. Im SURE at one time in
your life you where NEW at creating a "SSL server" and you asked questions
also. Life is all about learning and sharing. So get over you your self, and
if you dont like this user list, un-unsubscribe.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Mads Toftum
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 2:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Error when signing my cert

vh

Mads Toftum