Subject: RE: Apache 2.0.* and SSL

From: [email-masked] (George Walsh)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:45:10 -0500

Hi!

Well said, and the written support from the group is long overdue, as are the well deserved compliments.

I intend to rip out the bundled Apache from my SuSE Pro 7.3 distribution and give the new threaded Apache a go. (I intend to do the same with Netscape, Mozilla and Sendmail while I am at it so I have full control over the key elements of my system beyond Linux itself. SuSE rpms are never up-to-date one these services, even when they are available, so I prefer to do the builds 'the old fashioned way'.

Regards to all,

George

>Hi mod_ssl users,
>
>As most of you probably know, the development efforts of Apache 2 are
>going to result in a product, soon. The current betas are already
>stable, mature, fast, portable than ever, strong, and support many
>features that we have dreamed about for years, like filtering (I
>mention this feature, and not zillion others, because it is important
>specifically for SSL).
>
>Yes, it's true that some of us didn't like various things, and that the
>development process was not optimal and took too much time.
>
>But this effort comes (finally...) to a successful end, and I believe
>that everybody who uses SSL (including myself...) should do the
>migration.
>
>Contrary to past versions, this one is a dramatic change in the
>integration of SSL. No more patches, no more re-compilations with
>"-DEAPI", no more 3rd party modules which cause Apache to crash because
>these modules were not compiled using this flag, no more specific
>versions of mod_ssl per each version of Apache, no more repeating
>merges of the patches of mod_ssl.
>
>Now, thanks to the filtering feature, mod_ssl is separate, and doesn't
>depend on modifications in the core of Apache.
>
>Thanks to the White House, mod_ssl is not a national secret that can't
>be distributed, anymore.
>
>Thanks to the USPTO, mod_ssl doesn't depend on a protected patent
>anymore (it expired. RSA even gave up 2 weeks).
>
>And thanks to ASF, mod_ssl is a standard part of Apache.
>
>Any Apache that will be distributed in the future, will include SSL
>support (at least optionally), that can be enabled externally by
>installing OpenSSL and adding some directives to the httpd.conf.
>
>Ben did a great job by creating apache_ssl.
>Ralf did a great job too, by improving it, and his impressive efforts
>and skills that were invested in developing and maintaining mod_ssl.
>We all owe a great thank to Ralf for other Open Source projects that he
>does, or joins.
>
>Now it's time to make the next step, and migrate to Apache 2.0.
>It still requires some work and testing.
>It can happen if we all join this effort.
>I am not a member of ASF, but I'm convinced that everybody will accept
>you happily.
>
>-- 
>Eli Marmor
>[email-masked]
>CTO, Founder
>Netmask (El-Mar) Internet Technologies Ltd.
>__________________________________________________________
>Tel.:   +972-9-766-1020          8 Yad-Harutzim St.
>Fax.:   +972-9-766-1314          P.O.B. 7004
>Mobile: +972-50-23-7338          Kfar-Saba 44641, Israel
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
>

-- 
George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,
DSC Directional Services Corp
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

__________________________________________________________________
Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Pyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:06:54 -0700

Sounds like you would like the emerging Lunar-Linux release that is built 
from source on the target machine. Take a look at

http://Lunar-Linux.org

It still has a lot of work to be done, but it looks like it is headed the 
right direction. It has great tools for keeping a remote server up to date 
without needing a GUI.

--Richard

On Friday 05 April 2002 11:45 am, George Walsh wrote:
> I intend to rip out the bundled Apache from my SuSE Pro 7.3 distribution
> and give the new threaded Apache a go. (I intend to do the same with
> Netscape, Mozilla and Sendmail while I am at it so I have full control over
> the key elements of my system beyond Linux itself. SuSE rpms are never
> up-to-date one these services, even when they are available, so I prefer to
> do the builds 'the old fashioned way'.
>
> Regards to all,
>
> George
>
> >Hi mod_ssl users,
> >

-- 
Richard B. Pyne
[email-masked]

---

From: Eli Marmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 02:09:46 +0300

> are the well deserved compliments.

Thanks!

---

From: Eli Marmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 02:10:49 +0300

Oops...

The last message was intended personally for George Walsh, and not for
the list...

---

From: Server Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 18:18:37 -0500

...well, I'm keeping it for myself....! *grin*

>The last message was intended personally for George Walsh, and not for

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin