Subject: Apache 1.3.29 and 2.0.48 with SSL binaries for Windows

From: hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 20:48:20 -0500

I have just finished building the new Apache binaries for Windows.

Apache 1.3.29 with mod_ssl and openssl  
Apache 2.0.48 with mod_ssl (built-in), openssl and zlib

Only the newest files can be found here... 
http://hunter.campbus.com/

MD5's, and all previous builds can be found here...
http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache/

In addition to OpenSSL (made with MASM) I also added zlib to build
mod_deflate.so in Apache 2.0.47-48 for those who are interested in using
it - it is not configured, just like the mod_ssl.so.

Note: some configuration is required.

I build to c:\apache so if you use the same directory your configuration
effort will be less, unless of course you are upgrading. Be careful
though, Apache 1.3.xx conf is different from Apache 2.0.xx, and very
early versions of Apache2 had differences with the latest versions.  

To install Apache (2.0.xx), follow these simple steps. 
(Apache 1.3.xx is similar but different)

1. create a directory (c:\apache) or if you are upgrading, save your
httpd.conf or it could be overwritten.
 
2. unzip the binaries into this directory - make certain you created the
sub-dirs.

3. go to the conf directory and edit httpd.conf or replace the
httpd.conf with the one you saved.

4. go to the 'bin' directory in a console.

Type the following commands:

- if you are already installed, type 'apache -k uninstall'
- then type 'apache -k install'
- then type 'apache -k start'

Check the error logs if it fails to start, but some configuration errors
will be displayed in your console. Apache also logs to the event log. 

If you detect flaws in the build please email me so that I can fix them
as soon as possible. I don't use these binaries so I need you to tell me
if there is something wrong with them. I build a branded version in my
workplace and use Apache2 on Debian/GNU Linux at home.       

Configuration questions should be directed to the list after reading the
documentation and searching the list archives - let everyone benefit
from the answers you get. 

Chris Lewis

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Don Woodward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:24:58 -0500

Attempting to make my own cert on my Win32 system at work it appears I'm
missing the OpenSSL configuration file - see error below.

I've built OpenSSL under Solaris before but my Sun is not up at the moment
to get the file from - anyone have a configuration file example?

C:\Apache\bin>openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
Unable to load config info
Enter pass phrase for server.key:
unable to find 'distinguished_name' in config
problems making Certificate Request
672:error:0E06D06A:configuration file routines:NCONF_get_string:no conf or
envir
onment variable:.\crypto\conf\conf_lib.c:325:

Thanks,

Don Woodward

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "hunter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 20:48
Subject: Apache 1.3.29 and 2.0.48 with SSL binaries for Windows

Chris Lewis

---

From: "Don Woodward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:22:05 -0500

I found a copy and got it working.

Don Woodward

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Don Woodward" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 19:24
Subject: Re: Apache 1.3.29 and 2.0.48 with SSL binaries for Windows

Thanks,

Don Woodward

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "hunter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 20:48
Subject: Apache 1.3.29 and 2.0.48 with SSL binaries for Windows

Chris Lewis