Subject: After Install: Apache working, modssl not

From: "Michael Connors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:54:55 -0500

I have followed the installation procedures exactly for SSL. This is what I
have configured in this order
1) openssl 0.9.6.c
2) mod_ssl 2.8.7
3) Apache 1.3.23
onto a Linux Mandrake 8.0 (redhat) OS. I chose NOT to install MM Shared
Memory.
The whole configure and install worked without any errors and the 'make
certificate' went fine.
When I execute '/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl startssl I get this response

apachectl startssl: httpd started

When I check the open listening ports (443 and/or 8443) on this same
machine they are closed and the 8081 (cause my ISP blocks port 80) is open.

And here is the error_log from apache logs after a start (apachectl
startssl)

[Mon Mar 25 12:40:24 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.7
OpenSSL/0.9.6c configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Mar 25 12:40:24 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default:
sysvsem)

What does this mean? Does anyone know what may be wrong?

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:59:11 +0100

> What does this mean? Does anyone know what may be wrong?

Starting with the obvious questions: Did you define an SSL virtual host
(with SSLEngine on) and switch on port 443/8443 with a Listen directive?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.