Subject: Solaris + Apache

From: "Matt Goyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:41:43 -0500

When I try and start Apache 1.3.22 on Solaris 8 I get:

bash-2.03# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
ld.so.1: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: libssl.so.0: open failed:
No such file or directory
Killed

Install commands (compiled w/gcc 3.0.3 from sunfreeware):

cd mod_ssl-2.8.5-1.3.22
./configure 
	--with-apache=../apache_1.3.22 
	--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl 
	--enable-module=most 
	--enable-shared=max 
	--prefix=/usr/locale/apache
Cd ../apache_1.3.22
Make
Make certificate
Make install

I read through some of the old archives but nothing helped me solve this
problem.

Thanks,
Matt

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Sang Yi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:41:25 -0800 (PST)

is your LD_LIBRARY_PATH set correctly?
also, try uncommenting the line addmodule libssl.so in 
apache/src/Configuration.tmpl before the apache compile.

good luck

---

From: Shain Miley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:05:24 -0500

I would do a search for libssl.so and see what shows up.  You may need 
to make a link from one version to another.  For example:

#locate libssl.so

/usr/lib/libssl.so.0
/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.5
/usr/lib/apache/libssl.so

[root@halley bin]# cd /usr/lib

[root@halley lib]# ls -l libssl*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 May 21  2001 libssl.so.0 -> 
libssl.so.0.9.5*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       182680 Sep 30  2000 libssl.so.0.9.5*

You may have the file libssl.so.X.X on your system and might just need 
to make a link to libssl.so.0 (ln -s).  Hope this helps.

Shain

---

From: "Simon Ritchie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:40:34 -0000

> No such file or directory

This also happens on Linux and there it's caused by the shared library cache
mechanism.  This holds information about the shared libraries on the system,
but only the ones that it knows about.  The effect is that you can only put
shared libraries in certain directories and the system doesn't see new ones
until you refresh the cache.  By default the cache update doesn't scan the
directory where apache puts its shared libararies.

I think that Solaris has a similar mechanism to Linux, but the details of
how you update the cache are different.  Try looking in the manual entry for
the shared library link tool (ld.so on Linux, maybe something else on
Solaris).  If there is nothing in there, the "See Also" section may point
you to the right place.

Simon

---

From: "Stephen Carr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:50:54 +1030 (CST)

Dear Simon

A quick hack is to put a symbolic link in /usr/lib for libssl.o

Regards
Stephen Carr

Simon Ritchie said:
> This also happens on Linux and there it's caused by the shared library
> cache mechanism.  This holds information about the shared libraries on
> the system, but only the ones that it knows about.  The effect is that
> you can only put shared libraries in certain directories and the system
> doesn't see new ones until you refresh the cache.  By default the cache
> update doesn't scan the directory where apache puts its shared
> libararies.
>
> I think that Solaris has a similar mechanism to Linux, but the details
> of how you update the cache are different.  Try looking in the manual
> entry for the shared library link tool (ld.so on Linux, maybe something
> else on Solaris).  If there is nothing in there, the "See Also" section
> may point you to the right place.
>
> Simon
>

-- 
Computing Officer
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Adelaide University
Tel +618-8303-4313
Fax +618-8303-4359

---

From: Glen Mehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:02:27 -0800

IIRC you have to update your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find libssl.o.

though I think what I did is below...

-g

-- 
Glen S Mehn
Lead Systems Administrator		SquareTrade, Inc
[email-masked]	Building Trust in Transactions (sm)
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]