Subject: ??? 1.3.23

From: Tom Oehser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:22:03 -0500 (EST)

Is there a procedure that is known to be worth attempting to put a
modssl-X onto an apache-X+1?

Is there any intention or plan of releasing it within X days of the apache
release?

Is there any documentation of what is involved in doing it myself?

I saw mention of people having done it successfully...  Without details...

I thought I could just get the CVS for modssl and figure it out, but the
CVS source doesn't seem designed to be portably built, for example, the
scripts look for perl in /sw/bin/perl, which must work on at least .01%
of installed *nix systems...  the other target fails because it expects
a pgp key in a place I don't have one...  there is a README file, but...

And, the mod_ssl I get from CVS is for 1.3.20, which is *less* than the
one that is downloadable already built for 1.3.22, shooting holes in my
initial theory that going to the CVS was even getting me closer to now...

-Tom

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Tom Oehser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:01:35 -0500 (EST)

P.S.

I found the documentation on how to upgrade *modssl* later, using apxs.

But that method doesn't seem to apply to upgrading *apache*...

-Tom

---

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 07:15:11 +0100

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002, Tom Oehser wrote:

> [...]

Ops, my fault. The rsync cronjob was broken which updated the CVS copy
from my master machine. Now fixed.

For Apache 1.3.23: Expect an mod_ssl update for 1.3.23 within the next
days.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [email-masked]
                                       www.engelschall.com

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 01:19:10 -0500 (EST)

> But that method doesn't seem to apply to upgrading *apache*...

The short answer is that while it *can* be done, it's a very manual
process and it's highly prone to mistakes.  If you insist on doing it by
hand, there's a flag you can give to mod_ssl's configure to force it to
try to apply itself to a version it wasn't designed to work with
(--force), but don't be surprised if you get patching errors and have to
manually tweak the Apache source afterward to get it to (a) compile and
(b) run correctly.  The safest bet by far is to just wait on the new
version of mod_ssl to be released.

--Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------
   Cliff Woolley
   [email-masked]

---

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:21:42 +0100

> For Apache 1.3.23: Expect an mod_ssl update for 1.3.23 within the next

The mod_ssl CVS not got Apache 1.3.23 imporated and the patch set was
updated. I'm still incorporating other bugfixes before 2.8.6 will be
released the next days. In the meantime you already can find the latest
CVS state as mod_ssl-SNAP-20020128.tar.gz (or any newer) on the FTP
server.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [email-masked]
                                       www.engelschall.com
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Gilles gros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:34:12 -0800

When is planned the final release ?

Thanks for letting us know.

Gilles

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ralf S. Engelschall
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 12:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ??? 1.3.23