Subject: Re: getting close with apache2, ssl, solaris 8

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:07:00 -0700

That makes sense.  I was pointing at the wrong files. Oops. Thank you everyone for helping the newbie get his first apache ssl server running. I will try to be a giver instead of taker. 

>>> [email-masked] 06/26/02 04:00PM >>>
I think your confusion is in using the cakey when in fact you should use 
the key that you made the cert request from for the Server Private key 
directive....

eg: if you used the following two invocations of  openssl....

openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr

...then however you get a cert from the csr...(use CA.sh or pay a real 
CA, or sign.sh) . and the cert gets saved as server.crt

then the Apache conf would be:

        SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl.key/server.key
        SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

if I'm not making any sense, then see if the Modssl FAQ is better for 
you : http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#cert-real 

Jeff Landers wrote:

>I am getting the key values mismatch error which seems like it should be pretty basic in that they don't match just like it says. However, I remade the CA, cert request, and signed it using the CA.sh -newca, CA.sh -newreq, and CA.sh -sign  which created the cakey.pem and the newcert.pem. I pointed the Server Private Key directive at the cakey.pem and the Server Certificate directive at the newcert.pem  but still get the mismatch error. I searched the archives for this rookie mistake but can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Point me in the right direction, please. Thank you everyone for all of the help in getting this far. Sign me...
>
>Close but no cigar.
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org 
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked] 
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked] 
>  
>

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org 
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked] 
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]