Subject: force to use SSL when accessing certain directory/url?

From: "Zhang, Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:37:19 -0700

Hi mod-ssl guru:

It is easy to do this in IIS but for Apache/mod_ssl how can I force the
browser to use https when a user is trying to access a url via http? I'm
using Apache 1.3.22 + mod_ssl.

For example: 

the user is trying to access: http://myhost/secure/index.html
The server forces to use https://myhost/secure/index.html

/secure is pointing to c:/mysecureweb

I appreciate if you can give me a sample config file.

Thanks.

Li
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian C. Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:58:55 -0500 (EST)

> The server forces to use https://myhost/secure/index.html

Can you just do

        Redirect /secure/ https://myhost/secure/

within the config for your nonsecure host?

- Julian

-- 
Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc.   <[email-masked]>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter St., Suite 700, Toronto, ON
Tel: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959

istream >> ostream >> "We all scream for ice cream";

---

From: "Simon Ritchie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:52:06 -0000

I guess that you want to refuse access to a page by HTTP, ftp etc, so that
it can only be accessed via HTTPS.  Is that correct?  You can do that with
the apache rewrite mechanism.  The rewrite guide shows how.

Simon

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Zhang, Li
> Sent: 07 January 2002 19:37
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: force to use SSL when accessing certain directory/url?
>
>
> Hi mod-ssl guru:
>

---

From: Glen Mehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:48:19 -0800

you could also setup your ssl virtualhost with an different DocumentRoot, only available by https (port 443) and leave your https pages there.

-- 
Glen S Mehn
Lead Systems Administrator		SquareTrade, Inc
[email-masked]	Building Trust in Transactions (sm)
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]