Subject: SSLCryptoDevice: works as a static, not as a DSO...?

From: "James Bromberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:23:06 +0800

Hey people.

I have been running fine with Apache + Mod_SSL under Solaris with
everything working fine. I am now recompiling to Apache 1.3.26, Mod_SSL
2.8.10, OpenSSL 0.9.6d, and MM1.1.3. My httpd.conf is pretty much the
default, except for just above the SSLPassPhraseDialog (around line
1090) where I have:
	SSLCryptoDevice cswift

(it is a Sun Cyrpto Accelerator 1 (just a rebadged CryptoSwift) in a
Netra T1, on Solaris 8)

There are two compiles I have done: one where I have done everything as
a static, and one where it is DSO. When static, I removed my LoadModules
and AddModules, and of course, when as a DSO, I add these back in. ALl
pretty straight forward.

When I use static, my hardware crypto is working and everything is
wonderful. Birds sing, etc...

When I go DSO and then `apachectl configtest`:

	Invalid command 'SSLCryptoDevice', perhaps mis-spelled 
	or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Which is odd, because all the other SSL directives are OK. If I do a
`strings libexec/libssl.so` then I can see that the SSLCryptoDevice is
mentioned in the module, however using mod_info, it is not mentioned
against mod_ssl as being available.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Why would this work fine as a
static, and not as a DSO? This was working with earlier versions (1.3.20
& 2.8.4 & 0.9.6b). 

Any help appreciate.

	James

-- 
  James Bromberger,
  Senior Web/Systems Administrator, JDV
  +61 8 9268 2909, +61 417 322 500
  Fax: +61 8 9266 0200

JDV - e-Commerce and Outsourcing Solutions for Financial Services
http://www.jdv.com/

JDV is a division of Hartleys Limited ABN 67 009 136 029 ("JDV").
Any securities recommendation contained in this document is unsolicited
general information only. Do not act on a recommendation without first
consulting your investment advisor to determine whether the
recommendation is appropriate for your investment objectives, financial
situation and particular needs.
JDV  believes that any information or advice (including any securities
recommendation) contained in this document is accurate when issued.
However, JDV does not warrant its accuracy or reliability. JDV, its
officers, agents and employees exclude all liability whatsoever,
in negligence or otherwise, for any loss or damage relating to this
document to the full extent permitted by law.
JDV may collect personal information from you in order to provide any
services you have requested.  A copy of JDV's privacy policy is
available at http://www.jdv.com/

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:45:39 -0400 (EDT)

It might depend upon how you compliled openssl, was it compiled shared
also?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!