Subject: Nowhere talks about RPMS installation. Is it possible?

From: Sergi Mayordomo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:41:31 +0200

Hi,

I have:  -apache-1.3.22-2.i386.rpm,  mod_ssl-2.8.5-4.i386.rpm. under
Redhat 7.2
I have php-4.0.6-12.i386.rpm too.
Is it normal that when I try  $apachectl startssl , or $httpd -SSLD it
don't works at all ?
the previous commands aren't recognized for apache.

Do you know if any RPM version would work correctly ??

Thanks.

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:22:36 +0200

> Do you know if any RPM version would work correctly ??

I don't know much about the RPM environment (I usually "use the source,
Luke") but I doubt very much that getting a mod_ssl aware apache is as
simple as rpm -i on the packages above...

For one thing, the standard apache cannot load mod_ssl like a normal
module, the apache API has to be extended to allow mod_ssl access to the
openssl library. This means an apache recompile with mod_ssl... Did you
do something like this?

In any case, you can check the status of your apache binary by doing
"httpd -l" which will list the compiled in modules - do you see mod_ssl? 

If you are using DSO, do you get an error about the LoadModule directive
or any SSL directives in the config?

What do you see in the error_log when you try to start apache like this?
What SSL directives do you have in the config?
Do you have an SSL virtualhost defined?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

---

From: "Andrew Lietzow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:12:09 -0600

Dear Sergie Mayordomo,

RE:>>> Is it normal that when I try  $apachectl startssl , or $httpd -SSLD
it don't works at all ?
-----------
In your apache home directory, e.g. /usr/local/apache, you have a few
important directories (they are probably ALL important but we're only going
to talk about three).

1) In the conf directory, do you have an httpd.conf?  If not, then it's
probably in your /etc/httpd directory.  Either way, load this datafile into
a text editor and examine all of your SSL statements.  Make sure SSL is set
up correctly.  What does correctly mean?  Set up so that it works.

2) In your bin directory, you have apachectl.  Execute <./apachectl
configtest> (there is a dot in front of the slash).  Does that run cleanly.
3) In the logs directory, you have the access_log and the error_log.  What,
if anything, about your problem shows up in these two files?  Are there any
clues that you can discover that might help?

Provide more infomation and maybe you can get it going.  The programs work
but you are still learning how to work the programs.  It might take a little
while.  This is a "non-trivial" application.

As for the RPM's I am sure thousands of people have made them work...

Good Luck!

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.

---

From: Sergi Mayordomo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:38:31 +0200

Thanks for your answers, Andrew Lietzow and Owen Boyle. I have discover
that my virtualhost was defined wrongly. (On the port 433!!!!!!!!!!!)
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]