Subject: apache2 won't start

From: "Jeff Landers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:28:43 -0700

As this rookie creeps ever closer to getting it to run, I keep coming up with problems that I am sure someone has seen before. Thanks for the help.

Apache 2036
ssl      096c
on solaris 8

 ./bin/apachectl startssl
[Mon Jun 10 10:19:51 2002] [crit] [Mon Jun 10 10:19:51 2002] file vhost.c, line 232, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS" failed
Abort - core dumped
./bin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Cliff Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:56:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

>  ./bin/apachectl startssl [Mon Jun 10 10:19:51 2002] [crit] [Mon Jun 10
> 10:19:51 2002] file vhost.c, line 232, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS"
> failed Abort - core dumped ./bin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be
> started

That means the call to apr_sockaddr_info_get() on the address
"255.255.255.255" failed (the call is made because you're using
"_default_" in one of your vhosts).  So then the question is: why did it
fail?  Well, to know that, I need to know (a) what the actual return code
was, (b) what OS you're running, and it would be helpful to also have (c)
a backtrace.

See http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html for help on fetching b and
c.  :)

Thanks,
Cliff