Subject: RE: Performance Tuning on Apache 1.3.24 with mod_ssl 2.8.8

From: "Courtin Bert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:55:45 +0200

Hi,

generally speaking: encryption of data (which SSL does in comparison to not using SSL) of course cost computing time. Thats the reason why you'll get less processed requests when using SSL. Thats the price for having secure data transfer, which does not mean that you should consider turning off SSL, depending on which site your're running. 

Secondly, the results you get from your load test of course strongly depend on it's design, but probably turning on the "KeepAlive" directive may improve your results, depending whether your test script supports this.

NB (I): Is your test client software running on the same server? This would downgrade results, too.
NB (II): A sun Netra T1 (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz, Memory 512 MB) (a quite low end server) I recently tested processed about 70 requests per second (using SSL).
NB (II): Which hardware are you're using?

Kind regards,
Bert Courtin

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Dionisio [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 10:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Performance Tuning on Apache 1.3.24 with mod_ssl 2.8.8

Hi, I'd like to know what kind of tricks I can apply
to improve the performance of my apache server which
uses mod_ssl.  The OS I'm using is Linux 7.2.

Currently, I have a client script that generates n
number of requests to the apache server.  The page it
requests is a static page.  With SSL turned on, I'm
only able to get at most 7 to 8 requests per second. 
With SSL turned off, I am able to get 50+ requests per
second.

I've tried setting SSLMutex to use sem and
SSLSessionCache to
shm:/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_gcache_data(512000),
but those changes didn't improve the results.

Any suggestions or ideas?  Thanks.

Patrick

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]