Subject: RE: Password protected access

From: "Potts, Ross A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:27:33 -0700

Actually, I am planning on having a fully https:// site.  But, I still want
to restrict certain reports directories.  So, let me see if I understand...
Once I am connected via SSL, then the password sent (after getting the lock
icon on the bottom) will also be encrypted?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Viertel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 1:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Password protected access

Sure,

If you're going to use the default http auth mechanism, then use SSL.

if the URL is https:// something then it's all encrypted. (ok, unless
you do something really odd with the server config).

Note that the 'password window' is something your browser displays -
once it's got the password it will usually post that password in a
header in every  subsequent request to the same domain name.

If you're not planning on using SSL (one would then ask why you posted
the question to modssl-users....) then consider using mod_auth_digest.

Potts, Ross A. wrote:

>Is there a way to encrypt the login window That I get when I want to reach
>restricted areas?  I have the password file setup and can log in, but I
>understand that the password is sent in plaintext.  I didn't see much in
the
>way of documentation about this.
>______________________________________________________________________
>Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
>Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
>
>

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Andreas Gietl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:39:33 +0200

On Monday 20 May 2002 19:27, Potts, Ross A. wrote:

that's right.

-- 
e-admin internet gmbh
Andreas Gietl
Ludwig-Thoma-Strasse 35
93051 Regensburg
tel +49 941 3810884
fax +49 941 3810891
mobil +49 171 6070008