Subject: Using https and http at the same time

From: Waleed Hamad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:30:34 -0600

Hi Is it possible to run http and https at the same time??

 I mean, You know how hotmail.com works?? you login at http and then you
have the choice to be secure and use https??

 Please let me know

 Waleed

---

From: "David Gibbs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:26:54 -0600 (CST)

> Hi Is it possible to run http and https at the same time??

As long as pages in your website only uses relative references there should
be no reason you can't.

I setup a webmail server that does exactly that ... it works the same in
http as with https.

'course, this is nothing specific to mod_ssl ... the same should apply to
any SSL implementation.

david

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian C. Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:31:59 -0500 (EST)

> have the choice to be secure and use https??

I don't know how Hotmail works, but I deduce from your question that you want
to access the same pages via SSL and non-SSL. In that case, just set the
DocumentRoot for both the SSL and non-SSL site to be the same directory.

regards,
Julian

-- 
Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc.   <[email-masked]>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter St., Suite 700, Toronto, ON
Tel: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959

istream >> ostream >> "We all scream for ice cream";

---

From: "R. DuFresne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:12:25 -0500 (EST)

I may be reading the requester wrong, but, my impression of his question
is:

someone access' the server via http, and then they wish to reaccess the
server via https, add the sockets layer once they have already connected
in a 'normal' http session.  And this is only slightly different then how
others have already interpreted and answered the question.  Yes this can
be done, you could put a tag on your main server page that allows the user
to 'reconnect' with https rather then plain old vanilla http.  I leave the
tagging issues for the user to figure out, well, not really:

<A HREF="https//www.someserver.com"><IMG
SRC="http://www.someserver.com/image/someimage.jpg" WIDTH=84 HEIGHT=29
BORDER=0 ALT="secure ssl connection"></a>

<wrapped href tag above>

Perhaps this is what the requestor is asking about, perhaps the previous
list readers answered the question in simpler terms.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior consultant:  sysinfo.com
                  http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

---

From: "J. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:04:45 -0800 (PST)

Perhaps someone could explain just why one would login with http, exposing
one's password to whomever's watching, and _then_ switch to https?

=== JJ =============================================================