Subject: Cannot seem to bind to port 443?

From: David Hsu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:16:32 +1100

Hi All,

This looks like a simple problem but somehow I cannot locate the source (let
alone finding the solution).  :(  Any ideas/feedback appreciated.
Note that I'd be a bit hesitatant to start upgrading the various components
- the current setup used to work fine on both production and test, now for
some reason the test server does not work at all (but production still
does). :(  Anyway, here's the juice:

The server (tb1.anstat.com.au) has a virtual server
(intertest.anstat.com.au).  I've created a self signed certificate for
intertest.anstat.com.au and installed it.
======================== 

<VirtualHost 192.168.221.63:443>
   ServerName intertest.anstat.com.au

   LogLevel debug
   ErrorLog logs/anstat_com_ssl-error
   CustomLog logs/anstat_com_ssl-access common

SSLEngine               On
SSLCertificateFile      /etc/httpd/conf/intertest.anstat.com.au.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile   /etc/httpd/conf/intertest.anstat.com.au.key
</VirtualHost>
=======================

After apache is started, there's absolutely no error message anywhere.
However httpd does not seem to bind to port 443 at all?  (checked using
netstat -anp | grep "443")  There is NO firewall installed on this server.
Connecting to https via browser fails obviously.  telnet localhost 443 also
fails.

Configurations:

[root@thunderbird1 logs]# uname -a
Linux thunderbird1 2.2.16 #2 Tue Dec 5 18:31:26 EST 2000 i686 unknown

[root@thunderbird1 logs]# tail -2 error_log
[Tue Jan 29 14:03:31 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux)
mod_jk mod_ssl/2.6.6 OpenSSL/0.9.5a PHP/4.0.3pl1 configured

[root@thunderbird1 logs]# httpd -S 
192.168.221.63:80      is a NameVirtualHost
                       default server tb1.anstat.com.au
(/etc/httpd/conf/tomcat-apache.conf:9)
                       port 80 namevhost intertest.anstat.com.au
(/etc/httpd/conf/tomcat-apache.conf:48)
192.168.221.63:443     intertest.anstat.com.au
(/etc/httpd/conf/tomcat-apache.conf:74)

Thanks in advance, cheers,

David Hsu
Anstat Property Group                       mailto:[email-masked]
224-226 Normanby Road, Southbank 3006       tel:+61 3 92781174
Victoria, Australia                         fax:+61 3 92781167 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Owen Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:11:13 +0100

> Connecting to https via browser fails obviously.  telnet localhost 443 also

Um... starting with the simplest question first: You did start apache
with;

	apachectl startssl

or

	httpd -DSSL

didn't you?

Does the plain http server on port 80 work?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

---

From: Andy Osborne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:39:50 +0000

> Hi All,
[snip]

> SSLCertificateKeyFile   /etc/httpd/conf/intertest.anstat.com.au.key

Try...

Listen 192.168.221.63:443
<VirtualHost 192.168.221.63:443>
    ServerName intertest.anstat.com.au

.... etc

Andy

-- 
Andy Osborne      ****************      "Vertical B2B Communities"
Senior Internet Engineer
Sift Group Ltd.               100 Victoria Street, Bristol BS1 6HZ
tel:+44 117 915 9600  fax:+44 117 915 9630   http://www.sift.co.uk