Subject: Private Key not found

From: Justin Kay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:56:55 -0700

I am working on a new installation of Slackware 8.1.  I am trying to get the
mod_ssl working.  I have generated the key and crt files but when I try to
startssl I get an error that the Private Key not found and it doesn't start.
I am stumped.  Any ideas where to start?

Justin 
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: "cam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:49:53 -0500 (EST)

--- On Fri 03/14, A. Putnam < [email-masked] > wrote:
>That does mean it worked, right? Everything is good? 

Everything is rosy...

>If so, should I move the 
>new files I have to their respective directories or should I change >my httpd.conf file to point to the new directory? 

I would personally suggest that you protect (chmod 700;chown root.root) the area where the files are currently stored and copy the key and the crt to the httpd.conf area where you should set appropriate perms on them too. See e.g. here for some guidance:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/SSL-RedHat-HOWTO-4.html

>I don't know if >moving or copying/patsing damages the integrity of the encryptions or >not.

No, not in any way that I know of...

_______________________________________________
No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
Introducing My Way - http://www.myway.com
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]