Subject: virtual hosting

From: "Ian Newlands" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:09:02 +0800

I am currently running about 15 virtual hosts using name based on port 80, 
and 1 virtual host using SSL.

My SSL host is currently working with the following:

    <VirtualHost _default_:443>

However I want to change this to the IP based hosting for this host, 
allowing me to then add more SSL based virtual hosts on this setup, so I 
tried changing this to the following:

    <VirtualHost 203.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>

By doing this my SSL virtual host stops working altogether.

I try the following to debug it on a remote machine:

    # openssl s_client -connect 203.xxx.xxx.xxx:443
    CONNECTED(00000003)
    27604:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown 
protocol:s23_clnt.c:475:

I do the exact same thing on the local machine and it responds with a valid 
SSL response.

Can anyone suggest might be wrong here?

Regards,

Ian Newlands

_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to  
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp

______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List                      [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Paris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:58:48 -0400

geeze.  is it that time of the month already for this question?  seems 
like it was just yesterday when it was asked last .. maybe I'm just 
thinking of the other 100,000 times it was asked.

in all seriousness, this dead horse has been beaten so many times on 
this list there isn't even a carcass left to hit at this point.  please 
go dig through the mail list archives to see why name-based virtual 
hosts don't work with SSL.

yes, that's a flippant answer.  no, you're not likely to get a reply 
any more serious.

-dsp

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 22:09 US/Eastern, Ian Newlands wrote:

> I am currently running about 15 virtual hosts using name based on port 
> 80, and 1 virtual host using SSL.
>
> allowing me to then add more SSL based virtual hosts on this setup, so 
> I tried changing this to the following:
>
> I do the exact same thing on the local machine and it responds with a 
> valid SSL response.
>

---

From: Kiyoshi Watanabe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:32:21 +0900 (JST)

Hello, 

> and 1 virtual host using SSL.

I assume that you have only one virtual host for SSL in your conf.
 
>     27604:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown 

I see simlilar problems several times. From my little experience, this
happends when you access the virtual host where the sslengine is not
on.

This is caused by probably: 
 1) You do not specify the SSL engine on in the directive.
    (Probably not because you just changed from _default_:443)
 2) Your virtual host is not working (happends when you try to have multiple
    ssl hosts). But even happends when you set a differnt IP from the
    one in your inet addr (even you have a one virtual host).
 3) You have several ethernet HWs working and for a example use the eth0 for
    openssl command and eth1 for ssl.conf.

> Can anyone suggest might be wrong here?

I can only tell that xxx.xxx.xxx parts of your two IP addresses are
probably not set correctly. If you could tell exact info on the conf
and ifconfig, I may be able to suggest more.

-Kiyoshi
Kiyoshi Watanabe